IMDb > True Women (1997) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

True Women (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A Beautiful Melodramatic Glance in the American History

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
24 September 2005

Yesterday I bought the VHS of "True Women" just because of the very low price and today I have decided to watch it. What a awesome surprise I have had! This movie is a beautiful melodramatic glance in the American history and a great homage to the pioneer women. The story begins when Texas is being taken from Mexico, and follows two girl-friends, one living in Kentucky and the other one in Texas, along the massacre of the Indians, the civil war up to the fight for women suffrage. The wonderful cast, leaded by the magnificent and underrated Dana Delany, in the role of a very strong character, has outstanding performances. The story has drama, action, romance, war, love, hate, passion, intolerance, shaking the feelings and giving different sensations to the viewers. The movie is also melodramatic like a soap-opera, but it does not diminish its value. I really loved the saga of these warrior-women. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "Prova de Fogo" ("Fire Proof")

This movie deserves a place amongst the finest Westerns.

Author: padutchland-1 from United States
25 April 2006

Some could say this is a feel good film for women. And I guess it is indeed a movie that women's rights types could focus upon to reinforce their views. However, the movie went beyond that narrow thought line. I'm an old geezer with no fear of strong women, and this film was full of them. OK, the book was written by a woman, the movie directed by a woman, the main characters filled by women and there were a few put-downs of men. But the film was so well done that it made no difference. I'm a long time fan of rough and tumble Westerns and this one did not disappoint. It was cleverly put together to appeal to both men and women. It brought forth many elements including strong, resourceful characters, action-packed tempo, sensuality, meaningful dialog, ideals, top notch acting and much more. Much of the movie covers the women holding down their homes and land while the men are of fighting the Texas Revolution at the Alamo and Goliad all the way through the aftermath of the American Civil War. They fight off Indian attacks and other dangers. You cannot, I repeat, you cannot - go wrong watching this movie! OK, now let me get into the actors and actresses themselves. The lead of Sarah was played by Dana Delany and what a professional job. Performances don't get much better. She has had a long line of successes from Broadway and Off Broadway, China Beach TV show with two Emmy awards and movie success as well. Her husband was played by Powers Boothe who was usually off fighting a battle instead of protecting the home front, which seems to be the theme of the movie for the women. Annabeth Gish did a powerful job playing the adult Euphemia. No relation to the Gish sisters, although who knows if she checks her roots. I want to say something about the girl playing Euphemia as a child. Wow! What a bright and professional job was done by Tina Majorino. She was only 11 or 12 at the time and already a growing star. She did not overact her part, she nailed it just right. I remembered her playing the little girl in Waterworld but she also featured in When a Man Loves a Woman, Corrina, Corrina and more recently Napoleon Dynamite. With such a bright future, she will hopefully not get side tracked by the usual Hollywood nonsense and achieve great things. She certainly has the talent. The other young girl was Rachael Leigh Cook who played young Georgia. A beautiful girl who gave a haunting performance as a girl caught between being White and Indian. Angelina Jolie as Georgia? Well, what can I say about Angelina, daughter of Jon Voight? She is a good actress but she is immersed in that Hollywood madness. There were many others of course and there were a couple of quick parts too - John Schneider of Dukes of Hazard played Sam Houston and Lizzie McGuire's Hillary Duff was in this first movie as an extra. The story was engrossing, the acting outstanding and the time well spent - see this one!

awesome

Author: desiree3732
30 November 2003

True Women is a genuinely great movie. i happened to be flipping through the channels and luckily landed at the beginning. i started watching it and couldnt get up until it was over which was 4 hours later, and i am not one for long movies but i was absorbed. i found this movie intersting for many reasons: the acting was great, the setting was great, the script, was great exc.

i am a big angelina jolie fan and like pretty much all of her movies. now i loved this movie before the character even aged to her part of the role, when it did i was stunned because i had never even heard of this movie before. there were so many really talented actors and famous ones at that and i guess that this movie didnt do very well because i know i would have watched it a lot earlier. and im not even attracted to these kinds of movies, so i guess it is proof that it broke the genre.

i will recommend this movie to anyone. True Women made me cry, laugh, it made me scared and anticipated. it was very entertaining!!

A very good combination of history, adventure, drama, and feminist movie

Author: Agnelin
23 October 2006

"True women" was a wonderful surprise. When I read the summary, it sounded very similar to many women drama wannabes that are built behind the belief that anything with the excuse of a different point of view of an otherwise often told story will sell, but they often lack strong characters and, well, a convincing and catchy story. "True women" has all of the above and more: well-written characters, a solid storyline with several dramatic climaxes, and enough emotion to keep the viewer sympathizing and empathizing with the characters, or at least understanding them, even if one might not always agree with them.

The story is subdivided in two subplots: the story of Euphemia, who grows up learning to fight the Indian tribes still surviving in the Texan territory; and the story of Georgia, a beautiful girl who finds out she is of Indian descent, a fact that will condition her whole life. The two girls are close friends, though separated early on. The film follows each one's story, which will often intertwine with that of the other's. It's all set in the War of Independence and in the American Civil War, and the film adequately portrays the social and political turmoil of those years.

This movie is an amalgam of western, adventure, romance, drama, and it also takes a feminist standpoint, though it will also be enjoyed by men. I recommend it.

Wonderful!

Author: John (freshman39@hotmail.com) from Seville, Spain
15 October 2001

I saw this movie when it first appeared on television, and when renting videos recently, I saw this title, and remember being impressed. I rented it, and was delighted all over again! What a wonderful movie! It is interesting to watch - The stories evoke curiosity and passion for history, something seldom seen in movies, much less made-for-television movies. The acting was beautiful! Every actor performed with realism, and with a passion for their characters.

I have only one complaint: Not enough of Matilda Lockhart´s story was told. I found her character to be most interesting, and her fate to be the one that stuck with me long after I saw it. Anne Tremko, the actress who played Matilda, is spectacular! She was understated yet interesting, and her enthusiasm for the role lit up the screen. After seeing this, I rented the few other movies she was in. While only two were particularly good (The Member of the Wedding and My Antonia), she did a great job with what she had in each and every picture.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, and Anne Tremko´s performance, as well. I recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys history, movies, or being uplifted.

Spectacular!!!

Author: menaka
27 January 2002

True Women is essentially a Western Drama that revolves around the lives and times of 3 women,different in their ideals and personalities but similar in their inner strength and courage.It is a poignant story told vividly and effectively on the plains of Texas.It successfully avoids stereotypes and builds up stong,real characters. I loved this movie and I'd watch it over again in a heartbeat!!!This was one story that was truly moulded and made by its actors.Every actor was seemingly made for their respective character.Delaney,Gish and Jolie gave impressive performances but the most spectacular piece of acting for me was that of Tina Majorino,in every movie I have seen featuring this young actress she has always given a performance far more mature than one does expect of her and her role as young Euphemia was no different.There were times in this movie where certain events didn't exactly fit and moments when certain actors seemed uneasy and slipped out of character but the momentum was quickly regained.This movie I think is one of those few movies that truly and sincerely celebrates WOMEN!

I wish I could give TRUE WOMEN a perfect review...

Author: BabyGenius
10 November 2001

. . . but its one flaw is too glaring to permit that. The problem: The plot is *insane*. Within the first twenty minutes of the movie, the main character, somewhere-around-ten-year-old Euphemia, has been orphaned and uprooted from her home, The Alamo has fallen to Mexican soldiers, and the wives and children of the Texan army have to high-tail it to . . . erm, somewhere else. The movie reads kind of like one of those stories written by bored fifth-graders who pass around a piece of paper, each putting down a sentence without being allowed to see what just happened, and it doesn't come close to making sense. What emerges in this case is a repeating sequence of menacing-looking guys showing up on horseback and causing, whether deliberately or indirectly, the demise of a handful of supporting characters.

What could obviously have been a seventeenth-rate TV movie was saved by spectacular performances from each and every member of the cast. Dana Delany is the ideal big sister, reassuring and confident, but allows us occasional glimpses at her fear and grief that save the role of Sarah from being stereotyped and make it touching and very real. Annabeth Gish endows her character Euphemia with just the right combination of sincerity, compassion, and stubbornness to keep her believable and endearing.

(NOTE: ONE SMALL SPOILER COMING UP IN THIS PARAGRAPH)I have never seen Angelina Jolie act in anything else (unless you count trailers), but her absolutely flawless performance here as Georgia has instantly made her one of my favorite actresses. She's flexible enough to infuse many of her lines in this very serious movie with a charming brand of ironic humor ("I'll be old before I'm twenty-five and dead before I'm thirty!") and convey absolute rock-bottom misery literally two scenes later. I have never cried harder than I did while watching Georgia struggle through her tears to sing her dying child to sleep.

(FURTHER NOTE: THE SPOILER'S OVER) I could go on and praise the specific high points of every actor in the movie, but suffice it to say that the performances are perfect and more than make up for the out-there plot and flat script. Even were it not for that fact (sorry, opinion, I guess), I strongly recommend - nay, I insist (lol) - that anybody with even a remote interest in costume see this movie. The pioneer women wear really boring clothes (except Euphemia once dons a very strange and very ugly hat), but spoiled plantation girl Georgia's gowns are real works of art.

Well done true historical film

Author: smothersnena from USA
14 December 2000

True Women is a very well done film. It is about my own ancestors. Sarah and Euphemia were my ggg grand aunts, being sisters to my ggg grandmother [who was not in the fim]...but she was on the runaway scrape. I was thrilled to view this film, among the tears. I so enjoyed this film of my ancestry history, I flew to Texas to Seguin, where the film was made, and went on the True Women tour. As a young girl I had even lived in Seguin, Tx in the 4-5th grades. I met Mrs. King, Janice Windle's mother, took rolls and rolls of film, but the biggest thrill was walking thru the Peach Creek home of Sarah. I could hear the echoes of my ancestors and I peeped thru the rifle slots and could see Tildie and Sarah hanging by their arms under the trees where the Indians had tied them. I heard the cries of their anquish and felt a tremor thru my body that only a bond of kinship could bring. I did a review on this film in my college Film class and got a 4. for it. I watch this film often as I bought it and the book. I await Janice's sequel, Hill Country, to be also made into a film. An excellent job was done in the making of this true historic and ancestry film of my ancestors. I commend the producers and the actress and actors who portrayed my loved ones from the past. thank you..Nena Smothers

part of the growing Herstorical genre

Author: Megalion from California, CA
4 December 1998

Historical movies or fictional movies based on actual history are so often centered completely around men. Same as the history books. This does NOT mean that women didn't contribute to or play their parts in history and this movie, True Women, is another shining gem in the growing trend of Herstorical Movies. (see Paradise Road for a herstorical movie based on fact).

The story is about 3 women and how their lives were touched and influenced by several now historical events such as the Trail of Tears and the Alamo. We see how they actually played their own parts in influencing the OUTCOME of some of these events as well.

The Real Characters

Author: bobhist-1 from United States
31 January 2009

I, as a professional writer, was recently contacted by a cousin of Janice Woods Windle to edit a writing that she had done about the true characters in the True Women saga. In addition to her narrative, she sent me numerous photos that she had collected over her lifetime of the actual persons involved. I managed to compile her writing into an orderly fashion, and convert the old photos into a format that could be inserted into the writing in the appropriate places. Much of the history that she presented came from the movie, but, from other documentations, is accurate in a general sense. What makes her writing so important is that she had the photos of the actual characters which I managed to implant into the writing. Since there is so much interest in the movie itself, I'm sure that some would like to read more about the individuals and, especially, see the actual photos of some of them.

I'm unsure if the lady would be willing to release the work to public view, but I think that it should, due, especially, because of the photos. If enough people are interested, I may be able to convince the lady to make it public.

For further information, contact me at: bobhist@yahoo.com