IMDb > "Teen Angel" (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Teen Angel" More at IMDbPro »

Its a cute series...

Author: vigile from Phils.
10 June 2001

...too bad it ended so soon. its the best comedy show i've seen, after Boy Meets World. i dont blame people if they think the jokes are lame...it depends on the person watching.

besides, the jokes are prety corny sometimes, but, i do laugh at corny jokes. so if it makes someone laugh, or even just smile, then somehow, its good. [that is the main reason why comedies exist]

it has an original plot and the actors are good, i mean, just right. its worth watching. :)

fun Friday night fare

Author: dscyd from United States
9 July 2007

teen angel was exactly what it was supposed to be: a fun 30 minutes on Friday nights, on a channel that devoted Friday night's early prime time hours to programming for young watchers. since we had children in that category, we, as parents watched or listened to most episodes. many episodes had laugh out loud moments. our favorite? the science class with the talking frog! that was tremendously clever. the voice used was genius. we had quite a laugh! the science teacher was a hit too. it was fun seeing marcia-marcia-marcia, all grown up since her '70s Friday night "family show" days. of course the star, steve or corbin allred was great casting too! so all in all, we would have happily supported another season of this clever program.

I loved this show

Author: lkmcfarr from United States
25 October 2006

So, I think that this show was fabulous!!!!! I was in 7th grade, and needless to say, the tag line of eating a "skanky burger" really caught my eye. I watched it every week, and I'm not afraid to admit that .....yes.....my best friend and I both had crushes on both Marty Depolo and Steve Beauchamps. It was very sad (at least to my friend and myself) when it went off of the air. Where else are you going to find an all star cast of the former Marsha Brady, and the fat lady from Mr.Deeds? No where! So anyone who thinks that this show was lame, remember who the target audience was, and know that it definitely hit the bullseye.

Glad I saved all 16 episodes!

Author: Moax429 from United States
21 January 2008

Just as I thought Friday night TV wouldn't get any better in 1997, I was channel surfing and came across "Teen Angel." I thought to myself, "Oh, this is probably going to be another one of those kiddie-coms with 'dumb' humor in it" (think "Full House" and "Family Matters"). Not so in this case: "Teen Angel" was indeed funny, and (unlike those other two shows) it managed to be without having to beat you over the head to get a laugh. (I was in my late 30's when "Teen Angel" first aired.)

As with a few other IMDbers, my favorite episode had to be the fourth one in which Yeardley Smith (the voice of Lisa in "The Simpsons") was the science teacher and Tim Curry was the voice of the frog; what was especially funny in this episode was when the frog did his Rex Harrison impression from "My Fair Lady" and when the teacher screamed, "All right! Anybody who doesn't do the dissection gets an F!" to the class. The eighth one, in which Steve tries out for the lead in the school play (with a Kool-aid commercial parody in between the action), is my choice for the runner-up. I have to force myself to save those two episodes for when I have a not-so-hot day so I can laugh my brains out when I watch them again! (The only two episodes I wasn't crazy about, however, was the one where Marty gives Steve a singing voice so he could be the lead singer in the school choir, as well as the one where Steve was forced to take his younger sister Katie on a camping trip.)

Just as I was beginning to enjoy "Teen Angel," in February 1998 ABC unceremoniously yanked the show, with the lame excuse it was "on hiatus." Then three months later, "Teen Angel" reappeared in reruns, so, remembering what somebody once said in a Chicago Tribune TV question-and-answer column:

"If you want to save it for posterity, you'd better videotape (this show) yourself before (it) vanishes forever."

I also figured it'll be a miracle before Disney/ABC either syndicates the reruns (fat chance, since only 16 episodes were produced; in order for any network series to qualify for syndicated reruns, there has to be at least 95 episodes made. Sadly, "Teen Angel" also didn't achieve any kind of cult following like "Bosom Buddies" and the Classic 39 episodes of "The Honeymooners" did, thus precluding any chance of this program joining that exclusive club of one-season wonders in Rerun Heaven as well) or releases them on either VHS or DVD (even fatter chance; VHS tapes were still popular in mid-1998 but were to be eclipsed by DVDs four years later, about the time the current trend to release box sets of TV shows on DVD began).

So, I DID videotape ALL 16 episodes of "Teen Angel" in the summer of 1998 when they were repeated before they "vanished forever." I remember I even made a special trip to visit my family in Davison, Michigan one Friday just so I could videotape one of those episodes; the Detroit ABC affiliate, WXYZ-TV, Channel 7, blithely denied everybody of said episode that week - airing a boring locally-produced sports special during that time slot - while the Flint ABC affiliate, WJRT-TV, Channel 12, which itself had just been purchased by Disney/ABC, DID show it, so now I have every episode of "Teen Angel." As I said in another posting, thank the Lord for network-owned TV stations, as well as having relatives in the right place at the right time.

So I've had the show "for posterity" on VHS tape for the last 9 1/2 years, and now - to ensure even longer "posterity" - I recently transferred all 16 episodes onto a DVD, so I can enjoy them ad infinitum. As I said before, who knows if and when Disney/ABC will ever put "Teen Angel" on DVD commercially?

And now, 10 years later, what does ABC air in that time slot on Friday nights? ADULT GARBAGE! (I would explicitly name the show currently occupying "Teen Angel's" former slot, but said program has developed a "following" among today's teens - very sad - so, as the saying goes, some things are better left unsaid. Ironically, that show, like "Teen Angel," is also produced by Disney/ABC under their ABC Studios banner.)

Whatever happened to ABC's commitment to good, clean family entertainment on Friday nights?

This series should of at least lasted another season.

Author: Gordon Raisley from Pittsburgh, PA
3 July 1999

This series didn't deserve to get cancelled. I think a "Teen Angel" is a great idea for a movie or series. My guess for the cancellation is that a lot of teens and adults probably thought that the person who came up with the series didn't take death too seriously. If I were the last person on earth, I wouldn't have brought the ratings down.

Underrated

Author: smurfhater from United Kingdom
3 July 2007

This was one of the best TV series i've seen to date even though they're all just reruns now they still keep me entertained. THe guy who plays Marty is definitely the best actor of the lot but then again being dead lets the character be a lot more emotive as hardly anyone can see him.

Summary ----------

This show is about two friends who used to do everything together having to part ways, when Marty(the joker) is dared by Steve to eat a 6 month old hamburger from under his bed, even Marty dieing is slightly funny as the writer makes fun of the cliché walls spinning around. Marty now travels to heaven by elevator and is confronted by a Giant Head who is the cousin of God called Rod. After Marty gets past the fact that Headdy(Rod) isn't going to eat him he is assigned to be the guardian angel of his grieving friend Steve Boshamp. The series sees them getting into many wacky circumstances were Marty usually does more harm than good.

Some of the highlights in the show in my opinion are when Steve's family members would walk in on Marty doing something strange, for e.g. in one of the episodes Steve's aunt walks in and Steve is in a barber chair with a big moustache.

Teen angel = funny

Author: Bernadette from New York
25 June 2007

At the time the show was on i was seven and it was hilarious. HE DIED FROM EATING AN OLD HAMBURGER! that was hilarious. all the people making fun of it are old and I'm wondering what they are doing watching old shows from TGIF? The acting was your standard teen sitcom, not superb but well enough for the younger kids to believe the story. the jokes were fine, once you grow up,they seem trite but i assure you they were funny at the time ( it was the 90s!!) It was edgier than Sabria, and a few double ententes slipped through the strict TGIF censors. Some day, they will put the show back on the air in the us and all of the 90s generation of kids (us!) will remember how funny the 90s television was. (corny but fitting to the shiny bright times highlighted by the spice girls)

I Remember Liking It...

Author: IMarriedBritneySpears from California
1 August 2003

I remember liking this show, and despising "You Wish". I think I was 11 at the time, but I thought it was really funny. At least the main plot was original... I know I used to quote a few lines from it with a friend, but I'm not sure if I'd still think it was funny if I saw it now. We used to watch it at her house on Friday nights along with Boy Meets World, and make sure not to watch anything else on TGIF. This show didn't last too long... maybe it was bad, but the 11 year old me didn't think so.

I miss this show.

Author: sangah from Canada
17 August 2008

It's been years since I've seen this show; I was pretty young when I started watching it, and since I live in Canada, I had to wake up early to watch it, but I didn't really care, because it was one of my favourite shows. Nobody had a problem with it; it was wholesome, it was pretty funny and I liked it. When they pulled it off the air, I was confused as to why. It was a good show, so why cancel? I'd really like to see it again.

I love the fact that he died from an extremely old hamburger, LOL.

I was so young when I last saw this show; I only remember parts of 2 episodes: the first one, where he dies and junk and then another one where the angel tries to go back in time and stop himself from dying, resulting in getting everyone else dead. xD This was one of my favourite shows and yet I can hardly even remember any of it, so that's probably why I'd kill to see it... maybe even more of it (like a new season?).

same type of show, different style of humor

Author: coolcollie from United States
14 December 2006

I think this is another one of those shows that was before its time: it didn't surprise me in the least to find out the creative minds from The Simpsons and The Critic were behind it.

The plot was not especially unexpected, considering TGIFs line-up of sitcoms starring teen characters with magical powers. Yet what really made this show for me was its absurdity and the great one-liners. Although it hasn't been broadcast in the U. S. in years, some of the transcripts are easily found online, and I have to say: the humor still holds up. (I recommend giving them a look if you can't view the show, you might be pleasantly surprised.)

The characters and setting may have been misleading: the rhythm and tone of the show are much more reminiscent of adult cartoons like "The Critic" than lighter comedies like "Sabrina." That's probably why it was canceled.