IMDb > "Soul Man" (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Soul Man" More at IMDbPro »

What happened?

Author: lartronic from Akron, Ohio
23 August 2000

I caught this show when it first began and I though it was pretty good, and I stayed with it till ABC cancelled it. It was too bad, this show was different from many others. Very few shows deal with Preachers or the Church, which made this show a refreshing find. ABC messed up not keeping this show running.

Yet another show that deserved better...

Author: Kris-88 from Seattle
26 May 2000

Just like "On Our Own" this was a show that made a somewhat taboo subject not so awkward. The whole concept of a preacher being portrayed as a "cool guy" was interesting and it really presented another side of Christianity than the bible thumping discriminating stereotype.

Dan Akroyd was ideal for the part and the whole deal with him being widowed and trying to raise his kids alone really gave the series a sense of realism. It's too bad that all most viewers saw was that he was a preacher and thus the show couldn't be entertaining or have a positive message.

This was a badly wasted opportunity

Author: edmundmuskie from America
24 February 2003

What happened to Dan Aykroyd? He once played characters on Saturday Night Live and his various hit movies that would make fun of shows like this. Perhaps he just has lost his form. Whereas SNL was vibrant biting and angry this show is slow predictable and nothing to brag about. But the show could have been so much more. Dan Aykroyd as a minister this should have been overflowing with satire and Aykroyd should have hammed it up as much as possible.

Instead we got this show, which tried so hard to be another run of the mill family sitcom. ABC had a lot of faith in this one as they put this show in some of its best time slots around Home Improvement when it was one of the most popular shows on television. I can't believe Dan Aykroyd would do this. It was just not enough. For a man that is so versatile and talented I do not know how he could possibly do something like this.

It wasn't a bad show the problem is from someone so talented you would expect something to be brilliant and not something so routine. Perhaps this was the wrong kind of show for Aykroyd to do. Perhaps he should have played a salesman of something like his many characters did in SNL. Well the star of this show has backed off of a lot of his busy career. And why shouldn't he? The man is a legendary comedian and he isn't in need of money so he can afford to do bad shows like this. Here's to you Dan he we are waiting for Ghostbusters 3.

1 Word: Garbage!

Author: chester-gray from Ontario, Canada
23 January 2003

I am a certifiable sitcom junkie, and I have watched at least one episode of nearly every show ever broadcast on North American Television. With the one episode of this show I watched, It was hard for me to keep from vomiting. This show was of waste of a great actors talent, and put a blemish on the face of religion. I hope that whoever thought up this tripe was fired and banned from writing.

Chester's Rating: **/10