IMDb > "Smart Guy" (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Smart Guy" More at IMDbPro »

They should have never cancelled this show!

Author: alleyne from London, England
4 January 2001

I'm right aren't I? The WB Network axed Smart Guy after only 2 years! Why? This show was funny, It reached out to teenagers. It had decent storylines and dialogue. It's very hard not to like (unless you've seen one episode about a thousand times!). TJ is quite funny and Marcus and Mo bring Teenage Guy Humour to the table. Yvette seems too smart for her on good (about the only person TJ can't outsmart in the show!) and Floyd is definently funny! This show just worked too well. The Third season saw the cast really come into their characters giving the show a more mature feel. To sum up this review I say if you want a quick comedy fix, Go with this!

best show ever

Author: webmaster-1008 from United States
3 March 2005

oh my god, this was my favorite show!! i was so sad it was canceled. i watched it everyday after school! "Smart Guy" is the show of aten-year-old super-genius who copes with everything a high school student would typically overcome, such as peer pressure, school work, making friends, etc. Yvette is the Junior overachiever of the family, other than the main focused character, T.J. He is a very clever ten year old sophomore in high school. However, sometimes being a super-genius can give the kid a tough life. Marcus is T.J's only and older brother whose hobbies are writing music and, apparently, dating girls, for what I can remember. He has a passion and gift for writing and singing music, but has trouble focusing on schoolwork. Flloyd Henderson, the father, is a hardworking widower whose job is working with roofs, and works hard to keep a roof under his family's head and to keep his family well balanced and from falling apart. Morus(my personal favorite character) is a rather clueless, but has a dry sense of humor who never goes home and is the best friend of Marcus. My favorite episode, I must say, is the one where Yvette and Nina(her best friend) get a job at the local mall, but discover that their boss is racist by asking Nina to watch African-American people when they come into the store. It has a very meaningful message that a lot of people should be aware of, which is, simply, that racism is wrong. Overall, it was a fantastic show with dry humor(to my liking) and great characters that shouldn't have been canceled in the first place!

I love it!

Author: Peter Terry from US
7 April 1999

This show is amazing! I watch it every sunday on the "WB". Marcus, Moh, and T.J are my favorite characters. I think its funny that a twelve year old kid can out smart his father, his brother and almost everyone else, except his sister. At first, when the show first came out in 1997, I was almost jealous of T.J. Being 10 years old and in High School, and me being 13 years old and in middle school. But then I remembered that it was only a sitcom and that T.J probably doesn't write his own dialogue. The funny thing about kid actors is they do a really good job of making you believe that they actually know what they're talking about. I think this show is great for anybody over 5 years old. Its funny, and every episode is original. I give this show a rare 10!

Best show ever!!!!!!

Author: mar-mel from San Diego, California
13 February 2003

I love this show and it is the best ever!! Tahj is the cutest kid ever--though the fact that he is now older than me makes it hard for me to call him a kid--and in almost all his movies and shows(Seventeen Again, Smart Guy, Hounded, Poof Point, Kim Possible) he plays a genius.

TJ is a ten year old genius who is put in tenth grade. He is an outcast because everyone thinks that TJ is making them look bad in comparison. Marcus (Jason Weaver), TJ's brother and his best friend, Mo (Omar Gooding, who is the brother of Cuba Gooding Jr.) are both failing high school and are really funny when they chase every cute girl in school.

A Very Good TV Show

Author: radam_gurl from Ontario, Canada
1 June 2003

Smart Guy is an awesome TV show with good acting and actors. It is very funny ,especially Mo. Mo is the best character on the show. TJ is pretty good too except in episodes where he is supposed to be 12 he looks 8. I think Essence Atkins is pretty good at playing Yvette too. I think putting Destiny's Child on one of the episodes really gave Smart Guy a boost. All in all Smart Guy is an excellent TV show and I recommend it to everyone, young or old. My rating: 9.5/10

i like it

Author: JoeyJoJo-6 (tweeder102284@aol.com)
19 October 1999

I'd seen previews of this show on WB, then it came to Disney and i decided to watch it. I figured it'd be corny like most Disney shows. But it wasn't, I actually liked it. Mo is my favorite, he is sooooo funny.

Smart Guy starts off about a 10-year old genius to becomes a sophmore at Piedmont High School w/ his older brother and sister. And everything that goes on. I like it! I give Smart Guy 9/10!!

This 'Smart Guy' is funny!

Author: the_moody_youngest from Canada
3 August 2006

I like this show a lot! it's funny, clever,and original. Tahj Mowry makes an excellent performance as the ten-year old whiz kid, T.J Henderson, skipping elementry school to go to high school. With John Marshall Jones as Floyd, the supportive single father, Jason Weaver as Marcus, T.J's older brother who is not a whiz at school, but a whiz on women, Essence Atkins as Evette, the clever older sister, and Mo Tibbs, Marcus's care free, clueless friend who practically lives at the Henderson house. i think this show is one of the most original T.V. shows on T.V.

I give this show 9.4/10 stars for being an awesome show!

Great!

Author: evan-102 from United States
27 August 2005

This may be the greatest Sitcom to ever grace the television screen and it was so under-appreciated. I never met anyone who didn't love this show but for some reason it never made it. Tagh Mowry is charming as T.J.and his whole family was played very well. However the gem of the show is Omar Gooding (Cuba's little brother) who is absoluley hilarious as Mo. The show also had a funny supporting cast including the white guy Mackie and the crazy gym teacher, Coach Gerber. This show combined off the wall humor, compassion, and important lessons and is the most under-appreciated television show of all time.

Some of the great one's are...

-When T.J. must tutor a dumb and violent basketball star and turns him into a Gandhi worshiper -When T.J. meets a young girl Brandy and Mo and Marcus pimp him out -When T.J. and MO must marry for a class assinemnt and the guys build Yvette a bathroom

Awesome Show They Should Bring IT Back!

Author: winner2006 from United States
18 July 2006

I love this show so much Tahj Mowry who plays T.J. is a 10 year old who skips 6 grades and transfers to piedmont high with his brother and sister Yevette and Marcus and Marcus really is the one who is having the problem because t.j. is in all of his classes and this show is very entertaining and if u live in Canada u are in Luck this show is awesome and we might see a DVD release if so i'll be happy to buy other than that back to the show it is a very good show with supporting cast like Omar Gooding who plays mo.mo is a wild and goofy best friend of TJ's brother Marcus so if u slept on this show u better wake up it is better than any show that is currently on Disney and if Disney wants to bring this show that a be a great idea it has resonable value and learning values for kids and it is just so funny.

I own it

Author: SanteeFats from United States
7 May 2013

I found this show to be really funny, well acted and pretty wholesome. Taj Mowery does a really job as the genius kid and the rest of the cast also does a good job. The humor when a too young to be in high school kid does go is done well. The fact that his older brother who is not to gifted and his older sister both go to the same school makes for some interesting and funny episodes. The growing awareness of his developing body i.e. his growing sexuality is treated so well and is so funny that I wish I had been treated so gently when I was growing up. All in all a really good family show that I think most families would enjoy. Omar Epps does an excellent job as the muscle headed but soft hearted supporting character.