IMDb > Justice League of America (1997) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Justice League of America (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

"JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA VS. THE LEGION OF DOOM"

Author: Daniel Mckinney (danmck1067@aol.com) from Niceville, Florida
24 February 1999

"I Wish there will be a JLA TV Series Pilot coming out with Episode Seasons just like other Superhero TV Shows." Now KidsWB! announces that there will be a JLA Animated series coming out first along with The Batman/Superman Adventures had come out first.So is The Legion of Super-Heroes" getting their animated series.

But I can't wait to see Justice League of America to have Supes! Bats! Wonder! and all Superhero team up battling the Legion of Doom fighting of Darkseid.

JLA TV Series Pilot CAST:

Brad Johnson to play Superman David Hasselhof "Baywatch" to play Batman Julie Strain "Star Trek:The Next Voyager" to play Wonder Woman David Charvet "Baywatch","Melrose Place" to play Green Lantern Hulk Hogan to play Aquaman Penelope Ann Miller to play Black Canary Renee O'Connor "Xena:Warrior Princess" to play Supergirl

Why Did I Like This

Author: JasonLeeSmith from Baltimore, MD
4 July 2003

This never-aired pilot for a potential JLA TV show was almost universally derided. Mark Waid (a noted comics writer) called it a waste of an hour and a half. From all the stills from the movie which I had seen, I fully expected it to be horrible.

Therefore I was pleasently surprised to find it to be a light, airy movie with plenty of nice character development. The characters only bear a passing resemblance to their comic book counterparts, but they are written with such warmth, that it didn't really matter. I found myself liking them, despite my preconceived notions about the movie.

I found the characters to be well-rounded and believable (though very different from the comics), and I thoroughly enjoyed the way that they worked together.

The plot could have been better, it wasn't all that exciting. Unknown villain manipulates the city's weather, the JLA have to discover who he is. The JLA did most of their work out of costume, making it more reminiscent of spy shows like "Mission Impossible" or "Charlie's Angels" than the JLA comic book.

The budget for the movie was clearly non-existant. Some of the weather effects weren't too bad, but most of the other special effects were very lame. This isn't all that surprising for a pilot.

What I think hurt the movie the most, and probably is what prevented it from ever being aired, were the Justice League's super-hero costumes. They were embarassingly bad. The man who played the Flash was young and in good shape, however, in the costume he looked fat and middle-aged. Atom's costume was a disaster of foam rubber that looked as if it were about to fall off at any moment. Fire and Ice had good costumes, and Green Lantern's was almost OK. They could probably have played it to better effect, if they'd had the actors perform wearing ordinary T-shirts with the logos silk-screened on them. The costumes from the movie looked comical, and I think prevented a lot of people from even trying to take the movie seriously.

From the standpoint of a comics reader, its clear they weren't trying to capture the grandeur of the current Justice League as depicted in the comics and the excellent series on Cartoon Network. They were trying to depict a TV version of the Justice League from the early 90's as depicted by Keith Giffen and JM DeMathiess (and later by Gerard Jones and others). I think they managed to succeed in depicting a close-knit team of people, decidely less super than the heroes we currently see in the comics, but much more human.

I liked it.