IMDb > "Just Shoot Me!" (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Just Shoot Me!"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Just Shoot Me!" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

A show of its own.

Author: (llihilloh)
26 November 2000

I find this show really funny and really real. It's like a league of its own because I noticed that it doesn't try too hard to attract a big audience. Usually NBC airs the previews for the Thursday night lineup and although they show Just Shoot Me previews, it seems like they tend to let it slowly slip through the cracks.

NBC has a tendency to let good shows go bad by lack of advertising. Lets hope that this isn't one of the next ones to go. Just Shoot Me has one of the best times because it is after Friends, Cursed, Will and Grace, and before ER. I was reading some Nielsen ratings charts and it looks like people go out of their way to miss this wonderful show. I know that it is almost always in the top ten (I think), but I always read bad reviews or opinions on it. Why? It is so good and creative.

The characters are good because they are down to earth, hard working people. The cast isn't made up of the ritzy, glamorous celebrities we usually see. But it has one of the funniest casts I've ever seen.

The scripts are extremely well played out with hilarious writing. I always find myself laughing like crazy at some of the simplest jokes. Good writing with different story lines that don't get old is what makes this show one of a kind.

Good characters, simple yet complicated problems/plots, excellent writing, and a good setting (the work environment) is what I love about Just Shoot Me. This is truly a must see!

One of the best shows ever!

Author: Christopher Smith
9 June 2004

David Spade is great in this hilarious, yet underrated sitcom set in a New York about the staff of Blush, a fashion magazine in the tradition of REDBOOK. The show aired from 1997 to 2003 and while the later episodes were the better ones, the first season (just released to DVD along with the second season) contains some of the best episodes, including my personal favorite episode, titled "In Your Dreams".

Despite the fact that the show never really had one main character, the stand out for me as always been David Spade. I've always been a big fan of David Spade and this show was perfect for him. As the assistant to Jack Gallo (the always wonderful George Segal), David Spade provided the show with much needed sarcasm and wise-cracking like only he can. This is especially evident in the first season and the second season.

Though the show was canceled last year, it remains in syndication and still remains one of the best sitcoms ever. My rating: 10/10

Unmissable!

Author: Nuala S
17 April 2000

When I first watched this show, I must admit, it did not much appeal to me. But once the vibrant characters are etched in your mind, Just Shoot Me is hilarious, unmissable viewing. Not since Newsradio has a sitcom been so witty, and at the same time so outrageous in it's comedy style as Just Shoot Me. A highlight episode (the one that really won me over) features Mark Hammil, who, surprisingly becomes very enthusiastic to recieve the friendship of Finch, Blush magazine's Star Wars geek. Overall, the show is highly recommended!

The funniest, most original, most intelligent, best acted sitcom on TV...

Author: silknomad (silknomad@yahoo.com) from DC
28 July 2003

I enjoy comedy but I tend to get bored by cliche and repetition in a lot of the sitcoms on TV. Just shoot me is one of the funniest and most original sitcoms on TV. The characters are unique and well thought out. The relationships between the characters are a character in themselves. Unlike a lot of other sitcoms, the actors don't over act, their coolness is hysterical. Finch (David Spade) has me rolling around the floor. Elliot (Enrico Colantoni) makes tears come out of my eyes, and I listen attentively when Jack Gallo (George Segal) has a thought provoking "life experience" story to tell. I enjoy the cryptic magazine comments and the impeccable skills of Nina Van Horn and Laura San Giacomo (AKA the Pretty Woman).

My all time favorite Just Shoot Me moment. The "Psycho" edition. Finch tries to convince Elliott that the movie Psycho didn't scare him. Elliott sets Finch up in the kitchen and Finch freezes: HYSTERICAL. I laugh when I think about it.

Halarious

Author: whos the winner, joes the winner from Sydney, Australia
5 July 2000

This TV series would seriously have to be one of the best in this era ,up there with Seinfeld and Fresh Prince of Bel Air. David Spade(Dennis Finch)would have to be the funniest actor in this series having the best lines along side Wendie Malick (Nina Van Horn)I could watch every episode three times and laugh as if i saw it the first time.

Funny and entertaining

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
22 September 2005

I used to watch "Just Shoot Me!" once in a while back when it was still airing on television (new episodes). It was canceled after a six year run from 1997 - 2003. Six years isn't bad, and neither were any of the episodes I saw.

Some of the characters may seem reminiscent of other sitcoms, and surely the premise is fairly flat - a group of workers at a magazine corporation and their personal trials and tribulations.

The funniest guy on the show has to be David Spade. I know a lot of people hate Spade, but in my opinion he is good at his type of humor - as long as he doesn't try too hard, he's funny.

"Just Shoot Me" may not be airing new episodes on television anymore, but the six years it DID air certainly provided some amusing situation comedy. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys "Friends" and "Third Rock from the Sun."

brilliant

Author: dkrob from EASTBOURNE, ENGLAND
2 May 2006

In England this show came after Cheers, Friends and Everyone Loves Raymond which are very difficult acts to follow But it did it with a resounding 10 out of 10. The 5 main character I can't fault their performances were so good. The comedy was excellent and each character had their different strengths though I suspect that Jack Gallow was the fatherhead figure. I also found that the people who made guest appearances or new characters were of top quality. However the final episode was an absolute classic and the tears on the faces I suspect were real because the series and there working together was coming to an end. Very sadly the end of era that has been replaced in the UK by repeats of Everyone Loves Raymond which doesn't seem so funny after Shoot me. I must say that the ending of Shoot me was so superior to the end of Diane Chambers leaving Cheers which was abysmal. Lets hope these people aren't consigned to oblivion after the end of the series like so many people of successful sitcoms seem to be.

This is the best show on TV today!

Author: LynneSin from Philadelphia
9 February 1999

I love this show, this should have been the show to take over Seinfeld's old time slot, it is the best show on TV. Tonight's show with Finch's Dad and Nina announcing their Marriage was a legendary show. Every scene from Nina accidently telling the 1st graders there is no Santa Claus to Tyra Banks pepper-gassing a stunned Eliot, I could not stop laughing. If you watch one show a week you owe it to yourself to tune in on NBC, Tuesdays at 9pm. This show is gonna win Emmy's this year!!!!

Superb Cast, Great Show

Author: AP-Project from CT
9 June 2003

This is a fantastic show which always makes me laugh and giggle. Probably the best comedy ensemble on TV, and the humor is mostly aimed at adults. Blush, as a setting for the hijinx, is perfect and the office setting seems organic and realistic, as opposed to lumps of furniture. Contrast this with Suddenly Susan, where the office setting is ridiculous because noone seems to belong there. On Just Shoot Me, the characters are fleshed out from the beginning and their motives, personal and professional, are clear. Maya and Jack Gallo, the irrepressible Dennis Finch, Elliot and Nina all supply laughs constantly. There's lots of practical jokes and wicked schemes that sometimes (but not always) backfire. Maya is the most earnest (and an intellectual feminist), but she's also vulnerable and compassionate. She is the heart and soul of Blush, but also the butt of good-natured jokes. The other four (especially Dennis) are more self-centered and mischievous. All in all, this is a wonderful show that resonates, because it echoes (in an exaggerated way) the chemistry of co-workers in real life. In this respect, it resembles Taxi, another great show that relied on well-defined characters to make comical situations seem more natural.

One of the greatest

Author: Old Crow-2 from Finland
20 April 2001

Nowadays TV is full of American sitcoms. Most of them are VERY forgettable, but every now and then a great series is born. Just Shoot Me is a series that´s really worth watching. It has a great cast and a script which is actually funny.

In my opinion the most hilarious character is Nina. She´s beautiful but pretty stupid. Wendy Malick plays her perfectly!

I highly recommend this series to all who like GOOD sitcoms!!!!

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]