IMDb > "Jonathan Creek" (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Jonathan Creek"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Jonathan Creek" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Don't underestimate American audiences.

Author: Sariandra from Ohio
1 May 2003

For years now, I've heard my friends and relatives in the UK singing the praises of "Jonathan Creek". Unfortunately, I had never gotten the chance to experience the genius that is this show. But thanks to BBC-America, I can savor each and every mystery on Thursday afternoons (we get 2 episodes back-to-back!). I realize that, especially in the past 3 years, American television has consisted of a lot of very bad reality shows, and little else. Anything of substance is quickly taken off the air.. so that two more Real World/Survivor/Bachelor clones can take its place. There are millions of Americans who are starving for intelligent, thought-provoking entertainment. Of course Americans can handle "Jonathan Creek" -- why else would BBC-America continue to air it? This is an amazing show, and I truly wish our television big-wigs would realize that these kinds of shows work. Alan Davies is the ultimate anti-hero. Davies is gorgeous as the shy, rather nerdy, Jonathan. (I've developed a bit of a crush on him, to be honest :D) Maddy, played by the amazing Caroline Quentin, is the kind of role-model American women need: a tough-as-nails every-woman, who looks nothing like the malnourished actresses and models we see every day. The Americans who love this show are intelligent and witty, and we know good television when we see it.. and this is by far the best show I've had the pleasure of watching in a very long time.

Absolutely fantastic

Author: Metalfairy from Birmingham, England
19 January 2005

I was hooked on this programme when it first came out and now I have it on DVD, I can see just how fantastic this series is. Its a completely different take on the usual crime solving programme and the solutions to puzzles are absolutely amazing. I was constantly baffled and thought it was very clever the way Jonathan worked out some of the clues. Alan Davies and Caroline Quentin were absolutely fantastic in their parts, and I thought perfect for their roles. When Julia Sawahla replaced Caroline, I was dubious at first but she too was great in her role, despite not being the ultimate replacement for Caroline. I did not think any of the mysteries were at all daft, just very very clever and the chemistry between Alan and Caroline was fantastic.

The guest stars were great in their roles, Annette Crosbie was particularly good in the House of Monkeys episode and it was a joy to see Bill Bailey pop up in the later series. I think, providing the mysteries keep coming, this programme can continue for maybe one or two series more.

My favourite TV show by a long way

Author: silver17 from Southwick, England
8 February 2004

I think Jonathan Creek is a wonderful show. The mysteries are excellent, much better than boring police dramas, and the charaterisation is superb. Obviously some episodes are better than others, but they are always good.

I can't really see many reasons for people not liking the show. It's funny and cerebral at the same time which keeps you interested, also the way the story builds up very slowly is clever. The clues are always there for you to see, but I rarely ever get the mysteries before Jonathan tells me at the end. Jonathan and Maddy are the best team, and hopefully the next series will feature mainly Jonathan and Maddy solving the mysteries.

IMAGINATIVE,GRIPPING WELL ACTED AND WELL WRITTEN!

Author: liammurphy1 from United Kingdom
17 August 2003

This has to be the best series made by the BBC for many years. The stories are well written, the acting by Alan Davies is great considering he's a comedian rather than a proper actor. The stories keep you on the edge of your seat and guessing till the very end.

The earlier episodes are the best with Caroline Quentin as his tough as nails sidekick. The more recent episodes with Julia Sawalha from ab-fab fame are still good but they have become more predictable and silly at times - with the writers seeming to run out of ideas and Davies seems to be getting bored with it all, which is a shame because theseries is one of the most watched shows in Britain and is a change from the usual mind-numbing Saturday night crap:Pop idol, Blind date, Lotto show, casualty and many others.

Please let this show continue for many years to come!

My rating for earlier episodes 1997-2000:-10/10

MY rating for recent episodes 2001-present :- 8.5/10

Overall 9/10

Great, great entertainment.

Author: tpgodfrank from Beaumont, Texas
12 July 2003

I never miss an episode of Jonathan Creek. This is one show that captures your attention from start to finish. It is brilliantly written, and equally brilliantly acted by both actors playing Jonathan and Maddie. I hope that this mystery is around for a long, long time. It would be a shame for it to end. It is better than any show made in the U. S., and the only one that comes close to it as far as total entertainment is CSI.

LONG LIVE JONATHAN CREEK!!!!!!

Disclaimer: I love this show

Author: Svlad_Cjelli
15 May 2004

Yes, I admit it, all my comments here are coloured by the fact that I loved this high quality, well written, funny, intelligent, crime-drama-comedy show since the pilot episode (The Wrestler's Tomb).

Jonathan Creek is one great show: seemingly impossible murder mysteries combined with an interesting sexual tension between the two leads (at least, it was in the first 3 series when we had Maddy, not that I disapprove of Julia Sawalha) and some good comedy. The writing was great, the acting was likewise, and the show saw Alan Davies become a new "thinking woman's sex symbol" almost overnight. :P

But seriously, Jonathan Creek deserves not only its BAFTA but also a place in the UKTV hall of fame.

Absolutely Brilliant.

Author: Gubby-Allen from England
19 June 2001

Barring two or three sitcoms it is the best show ever made in the UK.

Words can't really describe how good this show is. In fact it is the only show made in the last ten years in England that would make you give up an entire Saturday night out for. Staying in to watch it would make it worthwhile.

It keeps you on the edge of your seat from the start, continually guessing and playing detective and how Renwick comes up with the a different storyline each week is as incredible as his talent to do the same with One Foot In The Grave.

To the people who were gripped by Sixth Sense and failed to guess the ending. Watch this and you'll see proper suspense. If you don't enjoy Jonathan Creek I really don't know what you expect from a TV programme. This show covers so many genres.

Excellent Series

Author: christy-39 (christy@cavtel.net)
23 June 2003

I agree whole-heartedly with our other reviewer. This is an excellent series, and the chemistry between the lead characters is subtle and tangible. As of this writing, the series is currently airing on BBCA, and I would encourage viewers to check it out.

The best mystery TV series ever made...

Author: eazyweb2000 from Israel
18 April 2004

O.K, I actually haven't seen the whole series, but from the one one season I've seen this is the best mystery TV series ever made, and its writers' ability to invent new mysterious situations all the time makes them, in my opinion, to the modern version of Agatha Christie. In addition, the writers succeed keeping the series' special sense of humor even in the most thrilling scenes. I've never heard of someone that could figure the mysteries out by himself before Jonathan and Maddy reached the real solution. A breathtaking original series! The best one by the BBC SELECT! Absolutely a Must-See!

Why Can't They Do A Special?

Author: elsiewagon from United States
19 September 2005

Can't they do a Johnathon Creek special like they did for The Office? They can't leave it so open-ended! I want Jonathon and Maddy to ride off into the sunset together!! I need closure and I need it now!!! * NOTE: They have book tours in England, why can't Maddy just suddenly show up for a book tour and meet up with Jonathon--then they can get things together, finally, so I can stop watching the old episodes crying in despair (lol) that it will all 'end badly'--I think that the ABFAB kid is okay but she doesn't have the on-screen chemistry with Alan Davies (going out or not) That Caroline Quentin had with him. So her leaving the acting world shouldn't put a damper on the plans...and I'm just babbling on so I can fill the ten line requirement.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]