IMDb > "Daria" (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Daria"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Daria" More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 8: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8]

Great

Author: Dave Marlett from Maine
21 April 2004

This show is great. Thats about it. Funny, smart, filled with bees. A great take on life in highschool. Great characters and umm... other stuff. Im realy just writing this review to get the last guys off though. By the way the bees I mentioned a few lines ago are MAGICAL BEES! A great spin-off of Mike Judges classic Beavis and Butthead. Watch it. Watch it now. Ok ten lines.

This is the girl I loves fave show!

Author: Are-you-having-your-period
26 August 2002

The girl I love does not get along with lots of people, so of course, she loves this show! It is boring and tedius, and daria has to be the most dull character ever created! If you hate the people around you, you should watch this show and whinge about how everyone has it in for you! That is what she does!

Getting into it...

Author: elcee8 from USA
14 November 2004

I was reading through some of the comments when I came across this statement: "Daria lasted four years then ended, which was probably a good idea. It was really a show aimed at the pre-teen, teenage girl audience." That's pretty funny because my sister, who got her Masters Degree at Harvard, was the one who got me into this show. Um, I really have nothing more to say, but I'm supposed to write at least 10 lines to have this comment approved. Maybe I should explain my comment. Well, I hope that my comment shows that Daria is not just for preteen or teeny bopper girls. It's not "hahaha funny" like the Family Guy is, but it is quite amusing. I've seen only 4 or 5 episodes so far and I'm waiting for the DVD's to come out (hopefully they do release Daria DVD's). That's it!

Smart, funny, I'll watch it anyway

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
9 July 2000

After all the dumb programing on MTV (Beavis and Butt-head, The Head, Kennedy's TV show) it is nice to see a smart, satirical show. But in some cases, I actualy just wish that some of the dumbness was brought back to MTV (which wasn't that smart to begin with). But, this show has some dumbness with it, and I like that. Not a great spinoff, but it isn't un-watchable. A-

Witty but Overrated... Wasted Potential

Author: fawn_jane from United States
21 August 2013

Back in the day, the premise of a cartoon about a brainy, outcast, independent girl in high school seemed exciting and promising, I loved watching this show.

The show is refreshing in that it features an assertive, independent, intelligent protagonista who is in high school but doesn't do the lame, hackneyed "boo hoo, I'm so pathetic and desperate to be cool" shtick. Daria's dry sarcastic and blunt wit is a drink of cool water, and draws plenty of laughs and entertainment.

But as the show goes on, it slowly disappoints as you realize that when you get down to it, Daria is dull and a killjoy. They should have made the show about her fighting crime or solving mysteries, or something... anything! Instead the show dwells on the mundane. Daria is supposed to be clever, but we never see her do anything clever. For me the lowest point was when they had a whole episode about... brace yourself... her trying on contact lenses. The show wavers between mediocre satire, and taking itself way too seriously, and it does neither one very well. There are too many cringe-worthy after-school-special moments and preachy monologues.

When the show tries to be deep and coming-of-agey, it falls flat, and lacks basic insight. Daria lacks self-awareness, and inadverdently represents a young person in a sad state of arrested development, like that chick who goes around scowling and cranky, and when called on it claims "this is my natural resting face!". This point is driven home in later episodes, like the one where Daria remembers being a little kid and not getting along with the other kids at school. The show just frames it as "she just didn't like them, the end."

Then the show COMPLETELY jumps the shark with the Daria-gets-a- boyfriend-storyline. That plot arc is just like... what is this? I don't even... What in the world were the writers thinking? I am baffled as to how they managed to go through the whole process of putting that plot arc into the show, and no one along the way realized it was terrible. The show tries to be too many things at once. This is a cartoon, it should've have just stuck being a cartoon and not try to be a teen-drama soap opera.

Despite my harsh criticism, it is a good show to watch, it paves the way for similar shows in the future to someday do it right.

a piece of garbage

Author: linguo from ny
10 December 2002

A spin off from the highly superior beavis and butthead was the most boring show I've seen. It takes the overly sarcastic Daria from the B&B series. Apparently MTV thought fans of B&B would watch this show after B&B was cancelled. Stick to watching Beavis and butthead, the mike judge classic. Whoever liked this show better than B&B is some strange type of MTV junkie and needs serious help.

Stupid show

Author: Viceroy Fizzlebottom from Hollywood
22 March 2003

It's sad that Mike Judge had to stop making Beavis and Butthead. It's even sadder that MTV stopped rerunning the show very abruptly. But the greatest insult is that Daria is still being shown, while B&B are now practically nowhere to be found (the few DVD's out there are missing the videos, which is almost like buying half an episode).

Daria wasn't funny, she wasn't clever - she was just a depressed loser. And while Beavis & Butthead are at the top of the idiocy ladder, at least they didn't pretend. Stop showing crap, MTV, bring back Beavis & Butthead.

A life less ordinary!

Author: Jenova Synthesis
6 April 1999

What's with this?

What I think ruined this show from becoming entertaining is the very poor character development.Daria is just a very emotionless character that I even get put to sleep!

A note to whomever was behind this:The situations would only be more interesting only if the characters weren't so one-dimensional in personality!

lousy spin-off from one of the best television shows out there

Author: Pat-88
30 July 1999

This show sucked. If you want to make an spin-off of Beavis and Butthead. Can you at least pick an better character than Daria? She's the worst of all the characters from B&B. At least made an spin-off out of Coach Buzzcut, Tom Anderson, or Principal McVicker. At least they do something funny. Why did they choose DARIA??? She hardly do anything. She's so boring.

Daria is an bad spin-off of Beavis and Butthead. B&B got way more better animation than this show. The drawings sucked. I can draw much better with one hand with my eyes close than this.

This is truly a horrible television show. Beware of Daria.

I give this dumb T.V. show, No Stars

Another utter piece of garbage from MTV

Author: North Stars Fan from Minneapolis Minnesota
23 August 2000

To make it simple, this show sucks. I mean, it's incredibly boring and I can't relate to any of the characters. I guess thats because I never was an unpopular geek in high school like Daria was. This show and characters like Daria basically epitomize what's wrong with society and pop culture today. People like Daria don't have what it takes to truly rebel, they just sit there and whine while they let the jocks kick the cr@p out of them. Sorry, I'm getting a little ahead of myself. Oh yes about the show. What can I say about other than the fact that I find it incredibly boring, and it's lame attempts at sarcasm don't do anything for me. If I ever came across someone like Daria when I was in high school, I would have slammed her head against the wall. It's obvious that I'm not the demographic this show is trying to aim for anyway. This show is purely aimed at kids that are geeks in high school that are mad just because they aren't part of the "in crowd" Like, I said, I can't really relate to that because I was never a geek and I was always pretty well liked in high school. Another thing that a previous user already pointed out is, is that out of all the Beavis & Butthead characters, why did they choose her to make a spinoff show out of? If it were up to me, I would have made a spinoff show of either Stewart or Mr. Anderson, because at least those characters are funny and they actually do stuff. Daria is so boring and all she does is whine. To make it short and sweet, This show sucks!!

Page 8 of 8: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8]