IMDb > "Daria" (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Daria"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Daria" More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 9: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

A great show--too bad it never got the support it deserved

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
8 April 2007

Okay, for the lousy animation quality it loses a point. However, for being brilliantly insightful and very subversive in its look at teenage life, the show was fantastic. The problem is that during its run and even now, MTV (who produced the series) never really committed themselves. They often moved the show around on the schedule, dropped it for several months and eventually it just seemed to peter out and fizzle--despite having a nice final movie to end it all. Plus, years later, it was placed briefly on Noggin Network, but only SELECTED episodes. So, if you want to see it now, you are pretty much screwed. If you search Amazon, you'll find there are two Daria movies on DVD but no other DVDs of the regular episodes!!! This is a crime, as the series is a must-see for teens. Aside from a little edgy humor involving a few curse words here and there and one theme involving lesbianism in one of the films, there really isn't anything a parent would object to--especially considering the age the show was intended for--teens and young adults, not little kids.

UPDATE: The show is now available on DVD!!! In addition, Logo is showing "Daria"--an odd choice for this network. Also, after buying the new "Daria" collection I started re-watching the shows. They hold up great after all these years but one thing that I noticed is that the Morgendorffer family is almost always eating lasagna at dinner. When they don't, they are eating some other type of pasta--linguine and penne, for example. And, the Lane family has a big family dinner and guess what they have---LASAGNA!! Someone on the show had a serious pasta obsession!!!

Amazing even nearly twenty years later

Author: David Roggenkamp
23 April 2016

The series stars Daria as an anti-social teenager that is stuck sarcastic mongering in a see of idiotic classmates and teenage peers. Most of the time she is there to watch from the sidelines and make snide comments about the stupidity of others; that is when not interacting directly - which she often is stuck doing regardless. This is a teenager that would rather be left alone to her own devices. You see, she is actually 'a brain' (as the series puts it) and would rather focus on more introverted activities, as opposed to say going to parties unless it means being able to mock things like creepy guys that want to get a date, the idiocentric quirks of the school QB, or the quirky mannerisms of the reoccurring cheerleader, (etc). Daria is often accompanied by her friend Jane in these escapades; Jane is a bit more to the point and a bit more down to Earth; she is almost normal save for the fact she prefers to be alone and focus on her art; she has the same introverted nature as Daria and the two often mock the teenagers and their stupidity around them. Where as these two characters might normally watch from the sidelines, they are in fact the main stars of the show.

The show does actually have a large supporting cast, many of whom get cameos in each episode; but at points they do get entire episodes they participate in or get devoted to just themselves with Daria and Jane taking second stage, but with their mannerisms in full swing. What this series also covers is the homelife of Daria - her father is anxiety driven and swears (only mildly) in frustration, but frequently. Her sister is not exactly a ditz, but she is an air head that not only cares about fashion, but also is the most popular girl in school and a member of the fashion club. Lastly, her mother is the crushing force in the show - she is very bossy, intimidating, and regularly pushes her viewpoint to others - she is also a lawyer, which makes for a saving grace when too much trouble arises and she must step in. The show does go into episodes about the teachers, but rarely does it cover their personal lives - only when they are caught up with an out and about plot that the other characters are already involved in. For that matter, the show never moves in the direction of Daria's neighbors; they never actually make an appearance.

There is only one point where the series hits a snag. During the latter seasons, rather than focusing on a serialized format, the series actually has some character and plot development. Jane gets a boyfriend, teenage drama ensues between Jane and Daria, and at one point Daria actually swears as the two fight for a few episodes. This quickly dies down, with the aftermath leaving some new plot developments in the works. The series still keeps the mannerisms of the characters as thing develop and other characters take the limelight; but I can't help but feel it takes away from the show's namesake as her character is eventually needlessly ripped on or thrown into situations that not only leave her NOT viewing from the sidelines as per series tradition, but often caught up in the works at a disadvantage while making mistakes, and never fully recovering from it. In a word, she may not be acting like an idiot, but she is getting caught up in the very same kind of situations of those teenagers she and Jane mocked in the early episodes. Granted, these situations aren't the same; but due to her anti-social nature, Daria progresses much slower than other characters and does not take as many risks - thereby not leaving her open to those same kinds of situations; instead it takes awhile for them to find her and we see the end result. Is it a good twist of things? It caught me off guard when I first saw it; and while I didn't particularly enjoy it - it does help keep the series fresh - I found I watched every episode through, despite not actively liking some of them. It is not a boring series by any means, although a few episodes can be slow.

The only turnoff from the series might be the fact that later, as opposed to earlier; plots are a bit superficial and redundant. I blame this on the fact earlier episodes are something I'm sure most teenagers and indeed adults can identify with; where as later episodes seem to be a bit specialized towards Daria's character and family life. In a word, the series takes on a life of its own, with really detracts from what it started out as initially. It is the initial statement the series makes, that is its selling point. Watching the series from season three onward, might actually create some friction that only those into drama might enjoy. I probably only stuck around due to the fact the series had a setup and a hitch before - it played right through this 'snag' and plays through many episodes which are a bit generic compared to the others.

If you want to see the more serious side of teenage culture as portrayed in the media, you simply cannot go wrong with Daria. As an added note, this was also at a time when MTV was in its prime and played a role in shaping teenage culture without the advent and interference of the Internet.

Originally posted to Orion Age (http://www.orionphysics.com/? p=11029).

Finally! "Daria - The Complete Animated Series" on DVD!!!

Author: TheFabulousThomasJ from United States
14 May 2010

I never thought I would live to see the day when "thirtysomething", "The Archie Show", "Salo: or the 120 Days of Sodom" or "Daria" would all come out on DVD. The first three were all released within the last few years; "Daria" was still the lone hold-out. But, that day has finally arrived; and hallelujah! MTV/Paramount released the entire series (plus the two movies "Is It Fall Yet?" & "Is It College Yet?") on a 8-DVD fat-clamshell box set!!!

So how does it look?

Mighty fine, I must say!!!

I long suspected (and it was confirmed by show creator Glenn Eichler in the box set) that the music bites used during the original MTV run would be the fly-in-the-ointment to getting this great show released on DVD (damn music licensing, anyway!) So 99% of those sound bites were replaced. Is it noticeable? As a die-hard "Daria" fan, I'm not missing the music cues one little bit! I think it was a wise move, indeed; perhaps those bites would have dated the series even more, twenty years down the line.

The DVD transfer are wonderful; of what I've viewed thus far, the colors are crisp and the prints are clean (however, on my copy, there seems to be a 5-second glitch at the beginning of "Boxing Daria": there's dialog, but no picture. I don't remember that). But I'm relaxing too high in hog heaven to even care about that picayune flub; because I'm enjoying all of my favorite episodes (like "Arts & Crass", "I Don't", "Write Where It Hurts", "See Jane Run", "Monster", "The Daria Hunter", etcetera) in the best digital glory.

There are also wonderful special features on the final disc; including the "Daria Day" bumpers used when MTV played "Daria" all day long (you can click to add them to the episode assigned, if you desire), the never-before-seen Mystik Spiral spin-off script, Top Ten Video Countdown by Daria and Jane, and the primitive but fun pilot episode "Sealed With A Kick".

For "Daria" fans everywhere, this is definitely the best bang-for-the-buck I've seen in a long, long time. You will not be disappointed.

And, for fans of animated series, if you own "The Flintstones", "The Jetsons", "Jonny Quest" or any of "The Simpsons" or "South Park" on DVD, this is definitely one to add to your collection.

Get it now while the getting's good!!!

Great

Author: Dave Marlett from Maine
21 April 2004

This show is great. Thats about it. Funny, smart, filled with bees. A great take on life in highschool. Great characters and umm... other stuff. Im realy just writing this review to get the last guys off though. By the way the bees I mentioned a few lines ago are MAGICAL BEES! A great spin-off of Mike Judges classic Beavis and Butthead. Watch it. Watch it now. Ok ten lines.

I wish this show would come back.

Author: miss_niss from Australia
20 April 2004

When I first saw this show I though it was on of the funniest and most clever cartoons I had ever seen. The first episode had me hooked. The characters are great and the jokes are thick and fast.

Daria is clever and sarcastic, and though seems to be the typical anti-social teenager, proves there is much more to her than that. She doesn't do drugs or rebel for the heck of it, she helps her sister Quinn even though she is a ditz, and she treats people like Brittany with respect and gets along with them even though they treat her badly.

This show is great for quotes (its where i get my sig), Daria's pop culture references make it even more interesting even if I don't always get it.

The same kind of humor as the simpsons but more realistic and in a high school setting. I hope one day they bring it back!

Being Different Isn't Always Bad.

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
29 November 2002

[MAY BE SPOILERS]

You remember Daria Morgendorfer from Beavis & Butt-head right? Well she's left them and got her very own show as her parents, Jake and Helen and her sister Quinn as they move to Lawndale, California. Daria spent her time with her best friend Jane Lane, who both often criticized everything. Their friends included Brittany, and Joey.

To be totally honest, I didn't watch very many episodes of this show. It wasn't really my cup of tea. I just knew Daria from Beavis & Butt-head. I remember the one where Daria babysits two young children, who were practically perfect in every way. Or how about the one where Daria learns to drive and must go pick up Jane and her friends who were pulled over and hauled into jail for illegal driving. Daria lasted four years then ended, which was probably a good idea. It was really a show aimed at the pre-teen, teenage girl audience. I don't know if Daria is still on TV anywhere, but if it is, tune in. I recommend it. Some episodes were better than others, but you'll enjoy it if it's your cup of tea.

Perfect

Author: lordcapoka@yahoo.com from Boston
20 November 2002

I think that this is the greatest show ever made. Daria's dark and witty humor was always perfectly timed and perfectly chosen. The characters were great. Characters like Mr.DiMArtino and Jake Morgendorffer will never be replicated. All the actors and writer were great and my only problem with the show is the annoying voices of Tiffany, Sandy, and Britney. It sucks that they aren't making any new episodes but atleast they are showing reruns on The N ( on Noggin). The first movie hardly lived up to its praise and its title but the second movie was a worthy sendoff.

This show rules!

Author: SuperMunchems69311420 from The middle of no where
22 September 2002

I first heard about this show when I heard about a spin off from Beavis and Butt-Head. Then I learned that it was about Classmate Daria moving from Highland to Lawndale and focusing more on her life with her best friend, Jane going through High School as it is through eyes of people like her (like me). So I checked it out and I learned that it is much more than a spin off. Although, I only saw a couple episodes b/c we got rid of cable soon after this show aired, I still can say that I love it and it shows so much of the shallowness of pop culture. This includes the popular people who, well, make my highschool life a living hell.

Great show that shouldn't have been canceled

Author: Opion8d from SC
18 July 2002

*Daria*

I started watching Daria around the time it came out. I instantly fell in love with the stereotypical characters and funny one-liners. Daria was the only smart, sarcastic teen on TV at the time when a teenage with and a guy with a creek ruled.

But when Daria graduated MTV decided to cancel this fabulous show. It's terrible considering MTV has crap like "I Bet You Will" and "Taildaters". This was a one-of-a-kind unique show. The re-runs play on another channel of mine but they won't be the same as watching new episodes. Who will be there to diss the cheerleaders and jocks? I'll really miss Daria, MTV. Shame on you.

*9/10*

Daria rocks

Author: cwdfwtx from texas
27 February 2002

A better show that what it spun off from.A spinoff from the creators of beavis and butthead ,. this show about a teenage girl in high school brought back memories . I graduated high school in 1983 and knew lots of girls like that . cool yet weird in a fun sort of way. Daria is the kind of girl who sees life in a more real way than most people and isnt afraid to show it , It was one fo the freshest and funniest shows on tv,im sad to see it go, i hope they make some tv movies out of it to show her further adventures in college with her cool friend jane.

I also loved quinn as the airhead barbiedoll sister and the parents who seem so totally out of touch with reality. Only thing is why didnt they ever change clothes . The one football player always wore his uniform to class, his gf always wore the same cheerleading outfit and daria never changed clothes . Quinn did occasionally but most people never changed clothes on the show.ive noticed that in cartoons ,the characters never change clothes , why is that ? oh well ,,great show and i will keep watching reruns on MTV..

Page 7 of 9: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]