IMDb > "Daria" (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Daria"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Daria" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

A great show--too bad it never got the support it deserved

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
8 April 2007

Okay, for the lousy animation quality it loses a point. However, for being brilliantly insightful and very subversive in its look at teenage life, the show was fantastic. The problem is that during its run and even now, MTV (who produced the series) never really committed themselves. They often moved the show around on the schedule, dropped it for several months and eventually it just seemed to peter out and fizzle--despite having a nice final movie to end it all. Plus, years later, it was placed briefly on Noggin Network, but only SELECTED episodes. So, if you want to see it now, you are pretty much screwed. If you search Amazon, you'll find there are two Daria movies on DVD but no other DVDs of the regular episodes!!! This is a crime, as the series is a must-see for teens. Aside from a little edgy humor involving a few curse words here and there and one theme involving lesbianism in one of the films, there really isn't anything a parent would object to--especially considering the age the show was intended for--teens and young adults, not little kids.

UPDATE: The show is now available on DVD!!! In addition, Logo is showing "Daria"--an odd choice for this network. Also, after buying the new "Daria" collection I started re-watching the shows. They hold up great after all these years but one thing that I noticed is that the Morgendorffer family is almost always eating lasagna at dinner. When they don't, they are eating some other type of pasta--linguine and penne, for example. And, the Lane family has a big family dinner and guess what they have---LASAGNA!! Someone on the show had a serious pasta obsession!!!

An absolute masterpiece

Author: beatnick49 from Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
2 March 2003

Daria is a masterpiece, it succeeds where The Simpsons (the worst show on tv) fails. With quick wit, cynicism, dry humour, sarcasm, and satire, it rips into the popular culture establishment with such ferocity, portrayiong embracers of the establishment as complete morons devoid and fearful of rational thought( like Kevin, Brittany, Quin and her mates in the Fashion Club), yet is subtle enough not to offend any one except for those who deserve it.(Like the Taliban where Helen goes "We can't punish Quin if she hasn't done anything wrong" and Daria replies "Why they do it all the time in Afghanistan", just priceless that). Unlike The Simpsons which panders to celebrities (many of whom Australians haven't even heard of and really couldn't care less about) Daria spares no expense at mocking those who wish to immitate the rich, famous, and glamourous (like the Fashion Club), whilst not bombarding us with names of people who are unknown outside America.

It also does not shove down our faces the whole girlfriend/boyfriend scenarios, and the obsessiveness with dating (it really isn't that important getting a date but any way), nor does it deliver stereotypes of other countries. It also breaks the stereotype of smart people being ugly or unpopular, with Mike and Jodie (not that Daria and Jane are ugly of course).

Series 1, 2, 3, and were the best, 4 was pretty good. I have not seen the movies yet but from what I read the first one was all about relationships and boyfriend/girlfriend stuff concerning Daria, Jane and Tom, thats not what Daria is about. Series 5 was not my favourite as like the first movie it dealt with relationships, even though there were still the elements I mentioned at the beginning present, they seemed to take an equal if not back seat to the whole relationship thing, whereas in the other series those elements were all that the show consisted of which was what made it great and original.

And on Daria herself, she is a gem, her intellect, sarcasm, dry attitude and cynical look to just about everthing in life was brilliant. She made no secret of her attitude towards whatever she saw as negative, which was just about anything really. Like Enid and Rebecca in Ghostwhorld, she was happy to be an out-cast and was just fine about not fitting in, like me at one stage in my life. Jane was just the same and just as good. Both great characters in a world where the subjects for entertainment are either fitting in, trying to get a date, beating up and killing people (I do like some movies with those last too words, I just don't like being bombarded with it). And another thing, Daria was genuinely funny, funnier than any sit-com or breakfast radio programme, or supposedly funny movies I've seen recently (Jakes fits along with Mr Delmartino's were a laugh riot).

Daria is an excellent show, but I'm sorry to see it's gone, but they made the right decision and it will be preserved as an original work, and not go stale (like The Simpsons and other sitcoms)

Praise to all those involved with Daria, whatever it was you had to do.

used to be good, coulda been great, failed

Author: redundantnimrod from or-e-gone
31 December 2000

This is a response to my original comment about how great this show is. It used to be good, coulda been great, but then it turned into the exact show that it was against. Daria stealing Jane's boyfriend? Did they steal that plot from Dawsons Creek or Saved By The Bell The New Class? It used to be Daria and Jane take on everything else, and they would change it, or atleast mock it. Now Daria just whines, becomes a giant martyr and is almost like....Quinn. I wouldn't even mind the cliched plot if they used some of the wit the show used to have. The show is taking itself way too seriously trying to appeal to the regular teeny bopping MTVers who swoon over tired melodramatic pseudo-soap opera plots. I used to get so excited and had my eyes glued to the tv whenever a new episode aired, then watch it over and over, now I can barely stomach one run through. I miss the oldschool Daria, and wish they could bring it back.

The only bright spot of MTV, not that it is saying much

Author: reddragonhero17 from United States
1 April 2014

I recall my high school years with plenty of ups and downs and Daria tries to do just that. On the surface the idea of going through high school's many realistic twists and turns and the diversity would make it a fun, interesting, and thought provoking premise. However, one with a genuine common sense would then be disappointed for following the plot is not so much fun, the jokes (if any) are not very funny, I may have chuckled at a few jokes but for the most part I know there were plenty I should not be laughing at. The biggest problem for me is the main character, while she broadcasts individualism and integrity well, this however is a double-edged sword of a message as she believes that this gives her the right to treat almost everyone around her including her own family members like garbage. As if teenagers don't need any more negative influences in this world, it would only seem that Glenn Eischer is a graduate of BABU (Beavis and Butthead University), where they claim they are criticizing society only to give hypocritical messages. While I don't blame her attitude for the society that she faces (if the rest of everyone is portrayed as caricatures of startling stupidity or self-righteousness), that doesn't excuse it. Even worse, Daria acts more like a Greek Chorus type character rather than an actual protagonist, though she does say something good for her scholarship. Contrary to what the fans say, I believe Tom was a good character for a boyfriend as he added something that was lacking in Daria, Humanity.

All in all while I am partly grateful that MTV did try to redeem themselves a bit, I am glad that I can live on without this show.

Bring Back Daria!!!

Author: pflasticgirl from England
29 August 2013

This was the last thing broadcast before TV sanitised all opinion. Please bring it back I implore you! All re runs of Daria are well received and achieve relatively high viewing ratings. The format would be easy to carry on with Daria at some sort of post College life stage, It would be lovely to have an irreverent, acid commentary on our screens again, Daria also beats the pants off whatever MTV is showing currently. Most of MTV sucks, a return to Daria would be a return to form. Suitable plots can be developed around the other major characters on the show. I am more than happy to engage in story development, marketing and tea making if it will help.

Finally! "Daria - The Complete Animated Series" on DVD!!!

Author: TheFabulousThomasJ from United States
14 May 2010

I never thought I would live to see the day when "thirtysomething", "The Archie Show", "Salo: or the 120 Days of Sodom" or "Daria" would all come out on DVD. The first three were all released within the last few years; "Daria" was still the lone hold-out. But, that day has finally arrived; and hallelujah! MTV/Paramount released the entire series (plus the two movies "Is It Fall Yet?" & "Is It College Yet?") on a 8-DVD fat-clamshell box set!!!

So how does it look?

Mighty fine, I must say!!!

I long suspected (and it was confirmed by show creator Glenn Eichler in the box set) that the music bites used during the original MTV run would be the fly-in-the-ointment to getting this great show released on DVD (damn music licensing, anyway!) So 99% of those sound bites were replaced. Is it noticeable? As a die-hard "Daria" fan, I'm not missing the music cues one little bit! I think it was a wise move, indeed; perhaps those bites would have dated the series even more, twenty years down the line.

The DVD transfer are wonderful; of what I've viewed thus far, the colors are crisp and the prints are clean (however, on my copy, there seems to be a 5-second glitch at the beginning of "Boxing Daria": there's dialog, but no picture. I don't remember that). But I'm relaxing too high in hog heaven to even care about that picayune flub; because I'm enjoying all of my favorite episodes (like "Arts & Crass", "I Don't", "Write Where It Hurts", "See Jane Run", "Monster", "The Daria Hunter", etcetera) in the best digital glory.

There are also wonderful special features on the final disc; including the "Daria Day" bumpers used when MTV played "Daria" all day long (you can click to add them to the episode assigned, if you desire), the never-before-seen Mystik Spiral spin-off script, Top Ten Video Countdown by Daria and Jane, and the primitive but fun pilot episode "Sealed With A Kick".

For "Daria" fans everywhere, this is definitely the best bang-for-the-buck I've seen in a long, long time. You will not be disappointed.

And, for fans of animated series, if you own "The Flintstones", "The Jetsons", "Jonny Quest" or any of "The Simpsons" or "South Park" on DVD, this is definitely one to add to your collection.

Get it now while the getting's good!!!

I wish this show would come back.

Author: miss_niss from Australia
20 April 2004

When I first saw this show I though it was on of the funniest and most clever cartoons I had ever seen. The first episode had me hooked. The characters are great and the jokes are thick and fast.

Daria is clever and sarcastic, and though seems to be the typical anti-social teenager, proves there is much more to her than that. She doesn't do drugs or rebel for the heck of it, she helps her sister Quinn even though she is a ditz, and she treats people like Brittany with respect and gets along with them even though they treat her badly.

This show is great for quotes (its where i get my sig), Daria's pop culture references make it even more interesting even if I don't always get it.

The same kind of humor as the simpsons but more realistic and in a high school setting. I hope one day they bring it back!

This is an excellent show, for a cartoon. Make more TV shows like it.

Author: Katrina Anne Van Tylor
4 April 2004

The themes of the show are relevant and the stories well done. This isn't high drama. It's a show aimed mainly at people in high school, although I find many of its subjects can apply to anyone from middle school on up. I am a *sort of* adult (I'm 18!), I watch it, I like it. Many of the episodes deal with useful topics, like what to do--and not to do--when: the people around you just don't get you, you aren't in the popular crowd, you do stupid embarrassing things at school and everyone knows about it, or your friends begin hanging out with people you don't like. It's all pretty basic and everyday, but it is well done and appears in a format that isn't "preachy." I could have benefited from a show like this when I was 16. I think this is a good show!It's funny and well done so you can actually tell when the neighborhood was built. This isn't like some of the shows where they have little detail, this has lots of detail.It's a very good show! Daria is just a cartoon, but it´s a great show. Actually the first time I saw it, I totally adored it! And I used to dislike cartoons. When they show it I'm actually singing along with the opening song.

It´s about an about I'm guessing 17 year old girl named Daria: the sarcastic one. She and her best friend Jane try to survive high school. But just like always there's a girl who thinks she's the whole world. I'm talking about the enemy of Daria. That girl is her whiny, stereotypical, materialistic L.A. brat, her sister.

Somehow this cartoon reminds me of Ghost World. But after all it's a great cartoon and teens will love it!

I am 18 and I love Daria, don't take off Daria its the best show!. Its good it got everything it has teenagers talking about problems and some tough times real people have everyday. And if your 13 or 27 why watch it if you don't like it?? Other people who are 15 to 21 might still like it so don't take it off, it is just a waste of time listening to older people who complain about a show whats meant to be for teens like me. Daria is the story of Daria Morgendorffer, a vulnerable teenager who lives in your everyday town and experiences every life teen experiences. The premise is to give insight on the most common situations younger people can soon find themselves in and have fun while doing it. It's an enjoyable show, and I like the darker, washed, dreary colors used for animation. All in all, I give it 3 licks of flame out of 4.

I really like this cartoon, haven't seen the first episode, but I stop my daily routine in order to catch Daria. Cartoon about a zany 10th or 11th grade girl, Daria and her misunderstandings, well actually it's the people around her who don't understand her, and her bratty but popular teenage sister.The first time I saw this show I loved it right away. It deals with teenage problems that, let's face it probably any teenage girl would go through. Sometimes it can be a bit childish, but it only makes it more humorous. I love Daria and I hope it continues, it can be a great show for any misunderstood teenager. Daria is an excellent show which shows the true life of many American teenagers nowadays without hiding anything no matter how hard it is. All the characters are realistic, while sometimes to likable, they're realistic and the plot is really interesting. It is one of the best shows in its genre, the so called "troubled, misunderstood teenager" shows and it will be loved by the supporters of this genre. Even the story, of course it is not extraordinary, is really close to reality and ordinary life, with some exaggeration inevitably. Although it contains some extremely violent scenes it is really worth seeing. As a result, I think it is a great show and I have no hesitation in recommending it for persons aged fifteen and over.

smartest animated series EVER

Author: jamesbmartin from LonGuylund, NY
19 September 2003

Other animated series have masterfully made satire of our sick sad world - South Park, The Simpsons, Futurama, The Critic, Duckman - but I think of Daria as the comfort food of the genre, because unlike the other series with their over-the-top slapstick humor, the characters and stories presented in Daria really could exist and happen ~ and probably do and have. One can relate to them on a realistic, everyday level. This show is definitely for the thinking person who has learned to see through the BS of the "American way of life."

watch it while it lasts! it's still on noggin!

Author: emily37 from brooklyn
27 August 2003

i think a lot of people would agree that TV has hit rock bottom in the past few years. we have copycat shows thrown at us one after another. it seems the TV execs in LA are following one of the cardinal rules of high school: if your popularity is failing, do what the cool kids are doing and you'll come out okay.

daria, however, was and is a show that showed us how many gaps there still are in TV entertainment, and that the need is for new and creative ideas, not for copycat shows. someone in another review called daria the "ultimite american teen!". despite their lack of spelling skills, i think their mentality was right on. those people who call kids like hilary duff or her contemporaries the 'all-american teen' are deluded as hell. most of us, rather than being beautiful and popular in high school, found ourselves in more of a 'daria' situation, feeling both awkward and confident in our outsiderness at the same time.

i'm so p*ssed that MTV doesn't show this anymore -- daria serves as a much better role model; smart, opinionated, and skeptical; than the current spoiled and uneducated MTV princesses like jessica simpson and the kiddies on the real world. it's sad that a cartoon gave us a much more realistic, humorous and intelligent take on our current world than 'reality tv' does. hey, it's the same thing with the simpsons and family guy. what gives?

Page 5 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]