IMDb > "Daria" (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Daria"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Daria" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

It ain't "The Brady Bunch"

Author: consortpinguin from NH -- the First primary State
14 October 2001

"Daria " is a wicked good satire of high school. It ain't "The Brady Bunch" or "My Three Sons" or "Dawson's Creek" -- Thank God!!!

I'm glad that someone had the guts to make a show about teenagers who aren't "The IN Crowd." Like "Freaks and Geeks," it shows the teen years from a different perspective. Daria represents those of us more, uh, intellectual, types. Some things never change. High school tends to revolve around popular kids like football players, cheerleaders, and "cool" kids. Even though I'm male and have been out of school for a few years, I can identify with Daria and a few of her friends.

The jocks and jockettes, popular kids, and, sad to say, even Teachers do not like the smart kids. They know that kids like that see through the shallowness of the whole scene.

While I have nothing against sports or activities, dating, or parties, if those types could just enjoy themselves without bothering the less popular kids, they would be OK. It's just their self-importance that makes you sick. Ah, well, some day they'll grow up and find out life is a little tougherthan they thought.

The only criticism I'd have is that Daria never smiles. Does she ever have a good time? I was a first-class nerd (and proud) but I did participate in a few activities like the school paper and even the senior class play. Sometimes you have to have to laugh. You can't take everything so seriously.

Great show! I enjoyed it.

In a word... cool.

Author: Joel (Tenchi64589@aol.com) from Flower Mound, Texas
13 March 2005

When this series began, I didn't really understand it... of course, time has given me more insight than I had at that time.

I can say for certain that this show had quite a lot of potential for my generation.

Perhaps at least one of the characters (or more) may be just like you in a way. For example, I tend to be a little bit like a cross between Trent, Daria and Jane: sardonic, worldly, and maybe even a little lazy. That's part of the beauty of this show: it doesn't leave anyone in the high school world out.

It runs on The N, so for those of you that have it but have never seen it, this is worth your time.

One Awesome Show

Author: ManOrAstroMan (PistolPez0516@yahoo.com) from Grand Rapids, MI
12 March 2003

Daria did not outlive it's welcome on MTV stations across the country. Yet, it's future was cut short and now we are left to be content with reruns. "Daria" was one of the smartest and funniest shows on cable tv while it ran. It still is as smart and funny on Noggin. But the fact that we will never know what happened to the Daria gang after high school still makes me mad. Show Grade: 9/10

Soooooooooooooooo much better than Beavis and Butthead.

Author: GloomCookie from Australia
14 February 2003

Daria is, and has always been, so much better than Beavis and Butthead. If you enjoy intelligent humour and not dick and fart jokes then Daria is definately the show for you. She's a very cynical person and the whole point of her is that she doesn't "do much". You can relate to almost any character on the show, or you know someone who is very much like one of the characters. I think it is a shame that Beavis and Butthead exist, but without Beavis and Butthead there would be no Daria.

Too damn smart for its own good, like its title character

Author: TedEBear from St. Paul, MN
29 August 2002

It's too bad they had to cancel "Daria", but it seemed to come to a natural conclusion. I thought the show was witty and downright caustic, but it maintained a distinct personality you just don't find in very many animated shows on TV these days. It was a program MTV could actually be proud of and should look upon fondly.

This is the girl I loves fave show!

Author: Are-you-having-your-period
26 August 2002

The girl I love does not get along with lots of people, so of course, she loves this show! It is boring and tedius, and daria has to be the most dull character ever created! If you hate the people around you, you should watch this show and whinge about how everyone has it in for you! That is what she does!

Wicked-Funny Brilliance

Author: Hoozz5
7 November 2001

MTV's 'Daria' is, without a doubt, the best show on TV. For once, we the viewers get a realistic glimpse of high school life in the 90's and 00's. Daria Morgendorffer is the intelligent smart, witty, cynical teenage outcast protagonist from Lawndale. With a shield of sarcasm, she makes her way through teenage life, whether it be fleeing from ridiculous field trips, enduring psychotic teachers and shallow schoolmates, or trying to get through her own home life. The writing is top-notch, smart and funny, and the character development is unmatched. I've been a fan from the start, and have yet to be disappointed. The introduction of Tom made things even more interesting. I find I can hardly wait for the series finale movie in January, though I really don't want the show to end. Still, as it's going out on a high note, 'Daria' greatly deserves a 10/10 for being an excellent (not to mention underrated) show for its entire run (a great rarity today). Kudos!

Very cynical, but very true

Author: greg-233 from Australia
30 December 2000

"Daria" used to be shown on TV at 5.30 every afternoon. Sadly, it is now finished. Personally, I think this is one of the wittiest animated shows after "The Simpsons". The characters are easy to recognise.

Firstly, I had no idea that "Daria" was a spin-off of "Beavis and Butthead" (a show I've never seen). To me it looks as if Daria and her friend Jane are the only sane characters in the whole show. At school they are neck-deep in a pool of shallowness: and they still manage to go against the flow. The show portrays high school life in a way that is very realistic: a place where people think popularity is the most important thing in the world, life revolves around fashion (or conformity to be more accurate), and being an individual is a major crime. Is there a difference between an individual and an outcast? I would say it's a very fine line. In high school there's no distinction.

Daria looks around her and sees everything through short-sighted, cynical eyes, and hardly ever smiles. She isn't part of the "mainstream", and she doesn't want to be. She has wisdom beyond her years. Most people don't realise that high school life has no importance until after they've left. How popular you are has no meaning in high school, as it has very little to do with the real world. But Daria already knows this.

In conclusion, "Daria" is a very good show. Everyone should relate to at least one character.

So realistic you forget its animated

Author: mythicfox from United States
15 December 2000

I don't have too much to say in this, except that Daria has to be the most realistic portrayal of high school life I've ever seen on television, animated or otherwise. It's very well written, with all of the typical high school stereotypes realistically portrayed (if that isn't an oxymoron).

Daria: A 10 out of 10, baby.

Author: Johanna (wills_queen@hotmail.com) from Lawndale (haha)
10 September 2000

A lot of people who consider themselves popular probably won't like the show. But hey, that's your problem :). I compare Daria with the WB's much yuppier Popular. Both are great shows, but I prefer Daria handsdown. Daria *says* she doesn't care, but anyone who watchs the show knows she does on certain levels (Trent, Tom). We need more teenage roll models who don't give a d*** what other people think--yet they have brains, friends, and snappy comebacks. I hope Daria has a lengthy stay at MTV--Long live the Misery Chick.

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]