IMDb > "Daria" (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Daria"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Daria" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Best show on TV (IQ required)

Author: rastaman from berkeley, california
20 November 2001

Daria is great. Together with now defunct Dr. Katz and Cartoon Network's Home Movies (stupid UPN - your loss!) it's the best TV show of the 90's-00's. Well all right, all right, add the Simpsons to that list :)

I could say a lot about Daria but most of it has been said by other reviewers. What hasn't been said yet is the fact that all characters in Daria are likable. None of them is a villain or a hopelessly lost person. If you watch the show long enough you will start liking all of them: Helen, Quinn, Jake, Kevin, Brittany, Mr. O'Neil, well - all... Everybody has their redeeming qualities and shows an unexpected appealing side once in a while. I am still yet to find anything likable about Upchuck but that's the exception that proves the rule. And im not even talking about the super cool Jane and Trent Lane.

Another point i wanted to make was that it is NOT a chick show. I am male and not gay and i can't stand chick flicks but i identify more with Daria than with almost any male character of any other show... (its between her and Mad Max of the Road Warrior :))))

Oh, almost forgot: i liked B&BH but this is the classic example when the mouse gave birth to a mountain. Daria owns and Daria rocks and Daria is the coolest chick around (well Jane ain't bad either :)))

Thank you MTV, you've redeemed yourself in my eyes for all the mindless drivel that fills your programming 24/7.

Long live Daria! Daria for president!

10 out of 10 for the Misery Chick :)

Billy Wilder on MTV

Author: IkuharaKunihiko from Croatia, Europe
28 March 2005

1) "I don't": Aunt Amy making grimaces at the wedding.

2) "Lab brats": Jake: My childhood was full of humiliation. They didn't call it self-love then. They called it...self-abuse.

3) "This years model": Jane making a caricature of the two model "hunters" by portraying them as vultures.

4) "Jake of hearts": Daria enters the bedroom. Jake is lying in bed after a heart attack, blaming his dead father. Suddenly his mother starts blaming his father too but becomes weak and has to lie down on the bed too. Jake: "Mom?! Are you all right?! ( raises his arm towards the ceiling )How many more lives, old man? HOW MANY MORE LIVES?!!" Daria exits the room.

5) "Marts of darkness": Sick sad world commentator; Jesus Christ appearing in a chocolate bar.

These were all the episodes in "Daria" that made me laugh and you get the impression that the authors were inspired by a more intelligent way of humor, the one Billy Wilder used to write in his comedies. Daria Morgendorffer ( voiced by Tracy Granstaff, a woman that lately disappeared from the public life )herself is a unique creation, a sassy, fascinating female version of Woody Allen and Bill Murray, a typical supporting character that was turned into the main character. The theme of the funny/sad story is the loss of unused youth.

------------------

It's hard for me to explain why I find that the famous sitcoms like "The Simpsons"( 6/10 ) and "South Park"( 7/10 )will always be only an empty display of jokes while "Daria" will always be a shining animated feature. I guess one of the reasons is that "Daria" has only 5 seasons ( while "The Simpsons" have 15 )and there for a better density of events. The other one is that "Daria" has a soul, emotions and a feeling like it was made out of love. Truly, Glen Eichler obviously decided to create a monument for all the people that were ignored by the masses. Yet, despite being a loser, Daria is actually a hero. And the closing credits are almost like an higher justice because there all the "bad guys" get punished: In one of them Tiffany is tied up like Hannibal Lecter, while Stacy is presented like a girl falling from the sky without a parachute, Britany as Kevins assassin...My favorite episode was "I loathe a parade": Dan Vebber constructed it as a Robert Altman film in which all the characters from previous seasons appear in a cameo.

I would love to give "Daria" the highest grade, but I can't. Some episodes were truly very weak and the relationship between Daria and Tom was not romantic at all! I guess I expected that their love episode "My night at Daria's" would end like "My night at Maud's".

Grade: 9/10

Hit and miss

Author: Amelia S. from United States
8 August 2016

The concept for the show Daria had potential, but sadly that potential wasn't put to use IMO. I had high hopes after seeing her in the Beavis & Butthead show, where her character complimented the main characters and made the scenes of that show even more funny.

However, Daria's character is just too...meh. Daria's sarcasm comes off as condescending and rude at times where it just makes her unlike-able. Her personality makes the show flat and boring. There isn't much to counter-act her dark persona, except for the over-done popular girls and jock boy stereotypes. At times, Daria's personality is too "edgy" and therefore cringe-worthy, much like the theme song. This show is full of boring clichés.

Unfortunately the writers thought that just because the main character is a female, that means the men in the show should be shown as inferior to women, incompetent, etc. Even Quinn's baby didn't like Daria's father (started crying on sight), which was really stretching it. Daria's father is shown as a pathetic wimp, failing even at domestic chores like cooking. Daria's mom is the cliché "busy mom" who is meant to provoke sympathy at times (for her own choices like having a demanding career and kids that she doesn't make much time for), and awe at other times where she is the "fierce woman" stereotype. How vomit- inducing. Also, woman-on-man domestic violence is shown as perfectly fine (when Daria's mom tossed the dinner that Daria's dad made on his own head) -- doubt that would work fine vice-versa. What happened to equality?

There's a reason this show is not that well-known, at least compared to the original classic show: Beavis & Butthead. Diarrhea, er, Daria was better in Beavis & Butthead, and should have just stayed there. Hehe.

Bring Back Daria!!!

Author: pflasticgirl from England
29 August 2013

This was the last thing broadcast before TV sanitised all opinion. Please bring it back I implore you! All re runs of Daria are well received and achieve relatively high viewing ratings. The format would be easy to carry on with Daria at some sort of post College life stage, It would be lovely to have an irreverent, acid commentary on our screens again, Daria also beats the pants off whatever MTV is showing currently. Most of MTV sucks, a return to Daria would be a return to form. Suitable plots can be developed around the other major characters on the show. I am more than happy to engage in story development, marketing and tea making if it will help.

Um...let me think about this for a second...it's good.

Author: Devlin (HarryPotter21689@lavernia.net) from United States
31 March 2004

When I first heard of Daria (about a year ago on The N) I had my doubts about it. Still, I didn't watch anything on this channel, and I wanted to be able to say how good this show was. And I could, except that I've never seen the full versions of this show, as The N cut out some parts, and didn't even air half of the episodes. A perfect example is "Daria! The Musical!" Now, this is the info I get on my satellite, but it's never that one. So, the episodes that are edited that I've seen are good, and I've taped both movies (on The N, and I missed the whole side story where Jane's has an encounter with a bi-sexual), but I still can't give this show a full rating, because of the cuts and the episodes I've never seen. I'm waiting for DVD's to happen, that way I can get the entire series, uncut, and the two movies. But from what I've seen, these un-aired episodes should be good. So, Of the episodes I've seen, I'd like to give this show my own personal stamp of approval.

It ain't "The Brady Bunch"

Author: consortpinguin from NH -- the First primary State
14 October 2001

"Daria " is a wicked good satire of high school. It ain't "The Brady Bunch" or "My Three Sons" or "Dawson's Creek" -- Thank God!!!

I'm glad that someone had the guts to make a show about teenagers who aren't "The IN Crowd." Like "Freaks and Geeks," it shows the teen years from a different perspective. Daria represents those of us more, uh, intellectual, types. Some things never change. High school tends to revolve around popular kids like football players, cheerleaders, and "cool" kids. Even though I'm male and have been out of school for a few years, I can identify with Daria and a few of her friends.

The jocks and jockettes, popular kids, and, sad to say, even Teachers do not like the smart kids. They know that kids like that see through the shallowness of the whole scene.

While I have nothing against sports or activities, dating, or parties, if those types could just enjoy themselves without bothering the less popular kids, they would be OK. It's just their self-importance that makes you sick. Ah, well, some day they'll grow up and find out life is a little tougherthan they thought.

The only criticism I'd have is that Daria never smiles. Does she ever have a good time? I was a first-class nerd (and proud) but I did participate in a few activities like the school paper and even the senior class play. Sometimes you have to have to laugh. You can't take everything so seriously.

Great show! I enjoyed it.

saving MTV from selling out (almost)

Author: pixie-37 from Lawndale
23 July 2001

Who would have thought that the network who is responsible for bringing us Celebrity Deathmatch and Beavis and Butthead, could have chosen to air this underappreciated series?

As a recurring character on B+BH, we can see why Daria needed (and deserved) her own show. This character represents what most shows refuse to address: the classicly cynical and disillusioned teenage girl. I've been compared to this character so often, I'm beginning to see her rubbing off on me. I'd like to bring into evidence my pleated skirts, combat boots, caustic sense of humor, attraction to musicians (Trent, I love you!) and close friendship with an equally sarcastic and cynical artist. Daria represents the people who are usually not worthy of air time according to MTV standards and this is why we love her.

The show provides an hilarious look at pop culture and society's wicked ways along with an honest portrayal of what is laughingly refered to as education (TM Pacey Witter).

I am Daria, my hometown IS Lawndale. Pray for me!

The one show that still keeps me watching MTV

Author: jweatherford27 from Lexington, KY
4 June 2001

I'm not really an MTV fan. They show too many of the dumb shows over and over. Daria, on the other hand, is surprisingly a very smart show. It actually makes me look forward to Mondays. MTV neglects this shows potential way too much however. They stop airing it for months on end until you think they cancelled it then they start airing it again and nobody has realized it. Maybe it will get some attention with its new movie coming out soon.

Good!!!

Author: RosalieBustingMyBowls from U.S.A.
19 September 1999

My friend made me watch this show once, and since I usually hate MTV I didn't think I would like this show, but as it turned out it was really good! Daria is a realistic character that girls can relate to, and it portrays high school realistically too. A very good show for teens!!!

Positive review of Daria on MTV

Author: Todd Witek (kewitek31@prodigy.net) from Buffalo, NY
11 October 1998

Daria is a smart and funny show on MTV. It stars Daria Morgendorffer, outcast connoisseur. While many maybe turned off by the show since it originated from the cartoon "Beavis & Butthead", (which I thought was excellent despite what people said), it has a much more keen sense and should be checked out. Male viewers may also stay shy of its "girl" atmosphere and attitude but again this not true. It relates to aspects of both sexes' lives.

Page 3 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]