IMDb > The Winner (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Winner

The Winner More at IMDbPro »

A Bad Script Turns 'Winner' Into 'Loser'

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
25 June 2007

Yes, I agree with people here; this is a "coulda, woulda, shoulda" film. It could have been better and should have been.....but it's horrible, an absolute stinker.

I liked the premise but the story turned out stupid. The comedy was lame and the characters - all of them - were so sleazy and unlikable, how could you like the film?

After watching three years of Vincent D'Onofrio play the soft-spoken, super-intelligent "Det. Robert Goren: on Law and Order: Criminal Intent, I am amazed to look back at this film resume. Prior to that, he played almost nothing but despicable, demented characters. The rest of the cast in here wasn't shocking, either, as they have done similar work. They all can act, though. I'm speaking of fairly big "name" actors in this film: D'Onofrio, Rebecca De Mornay, Billy Bob Thornton, Michael Madsen and Delroy Lindro.

But, it's hard to overcome a very bad script and lame one-liners that were supposed to be funny. Now I am more familiar with these actors than I was a dozen years ago, this might be better or at least interesting. Yet, I can't help but think a script that features nothing but unlikeable and sleazy characters is usually going to fall short

It's too bad, because I like stories centered in Las Vegas and gambling and this cast certainly is interesting.....but the story was anything but that. Maybe it's the director: his hits, "Sid And Nancy" and "Repo Man" also were way too sordid for me.

A failure, but it's Alex Cox, so an interesting failure

Author: carnivalofsouls from Australia
29 January 2008

Alex Cox will always be remembered for the astonishing one-two punch of 'Repo Man' and 'Sid and Nancy', yet his finest achievement was the daring, career-destroying 'Walker'. As if being exiled from the studio system wasn't enough, Cox then made the diabolically awful 'Straight To Hell' to seemingly bury any credibility he may have had left. 'The Winner' represents yet another oddity from Cox's years in the indie wilderness, but perhaps has the highest curio factor due to its eyebrow-raising ensemble cast. Yet what makes 'The Winner', ultimately, a loser, is in all fairness not attributed to Cox but rather its unimpressive, derivative, post-Tarantino screenplay (allegedly adapted from a play, presumably off-off-off-off Broadway). Cox and the cast struggle with its uneven tone and, despite Frank Whaley scoring in a hilariously slimy role, the unfunny nature of the script is barely able to justify the film's incessant stylistic zaniness. While it does work in small doses (an effective opening and a memorably odd ending), it simply isn't enjoyable enough to even warrant minor cult status. That said, it is at least a slight cut above the other interminable 'Pulp Fiction' clones that plagued the mid-to-late nineties. But what sort of endorsement is that?

A little messed up.

Author: Crowbot-2 from Look behind you
25 April 2000

Could of been a great movie, would have a been a great movie, but it wasn't. Bad camera shots, made it look like a drunk guys point of view. Paper-thin script, the plot was good, but it looks like someone was in a hurry when making this, so instead we get bad one-liners, and some ideas that don't make any sense. Really bad acting. This had some real uninspired, that reminded me of puppets. I can't say everyone was bad in it though, Vincent whatever his last name is, who played Philip I think, looked really vulnerable, and brought some realism to the movie, and Frank Whaley who played Joey, the only person who was symphaphetic of Philip, was pretty cool, what a quack! Though I don't believe he was gay, I think he was schizophrenic.

But all in all, I would suggest to stay away from this movie, unless your into really weird stuff, or some of the actors/actresses.

This Movie Does Not (or should not) Exist

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
2 August 2014

Okay, Now it makes some sort of Sense. After Seeing this Movie with a Cast of Quirky Stars and Cult Director Alex Cox, You might Scratch Your Head Raw Wondering, What the? But the Back(stabbing) Story is that the Director was Ambushed by the Producers.

It Seems that They took the Finished Film, Re Edited, Added a Different Soundtrack and Released this Bomb to Non-Existent Audiences, Furious Critics, and Disappointment Everywhere. So Alex Cox Disowned the Film and Tried to have His Named Removed.

Is the Abomination that was Released Worth a Watch? The Shortest Answer is...NO. That's a No with a Shout. Because it is Embarrassing. Nothing Seems to Work. The Usual Reliable Cast of Usually Interesting Actors All are Either Miscast or Appear to be Lost in this Muddle and Don't Know the Ending or Their Next Lines.

The Few Standout Visuals are So Few that the Drudgery of Sitting Through the Odd Pacing and Unfunny Stuff is Not Worth the Effort. Like the Director, it is Best to not Acknowledge this Films Existence for the Sake of Everyone Involved.

Was Hoping for So Much More

Author: michaelbkelly (michaelbkelly@yahoo.com) from Chicago
3 August 2002

This film had quite a bit going for it. Interesting premise... Alex Cox directing, Michael Madsen, Rebecca DeMournay, starring, Las Vegas setting..but,alas, it wasn't meant to be. I was bored throughout this film. I kept hoping that it would pick up. It just didn't! Must have looked good on paper, sure didn't on screen.

A boring "thriller"

Author: astridlee
18 August 2000

What a disappointment - with such good actors like D'Onofrio and director - Cox - we were all primed for, if not a great thriller, at least a decent gambling, Vegas movie. It was hard to maintain any interest in the insipid and one-dimensional characters and uninvolving story line. It looks like it was adapted from a play by the author and perhaps she needed more help structuring it. The actors try but seem to be directing themselves. Give it a miss.

Pretentious nonsense ............

Author: merklekranz from United States
11 January 2011

"The Winner" could be the "gold standard" example of a movie that cheats the audience. Enticing you in with capable actors, Rebecca DeMornay, Vincent D'Onofrio, Delray Lindo, Michael Madsen, and Billy Bob Thornton, and then giving them an absolutely worthless script to work with. This thing is so scatter shot, so talky, and so ridiculous, that describing a plot would be futile. It also might give the mistaken impression that there is one. The set up of a guy who can't lose at the casino is never explored beyond the initial idea, and there is absolutely no payoff for the long suffering audience. "The Winner" is definitely a loser. - MERK

Please, release the right version !

Author: Rex, Regis from Laroche Migennes
6 September 2000

There are two versions of "The Winner", the studio version released in the States and the Director version released in Japan only. I've seen the latter in Tokyo a couple of years ago and I really enjoyed it (great actors, great unreal atmosphere and very good story), but it looks like other User Comments (pretty negative) are based on the former. I hope that the DVD release will be based on the Director Version only, in order to give to this very good movie what it deserves.

No winner here.

Author: lastliberal from United States
15 July 2007

Rebecca De Mornay - yes! Vincent D'Onofrio - yes! Delroy Lindo - yes! Michael Madsen - yes! What more could you want in a movie.

Put them in Vegas and give us a story about robbery, and you got me. yes, you got me - with a movie that just didn't seem to go anywhere. It just jumped all over the place and had no consistent theme.

Wendy Riss is just not a scriptwriter, yet. Work some more and get it right.

I expected much more from director Alex Cox, especially after the job he did with Rosario Tijeras. I was so disappointed.

Not a winner!

Spaced Out Film

Author: whpratt1 from United States
14 June 2006

Thought quite possibly this film would be entertaining due to the fact that it was dealing with Las Vegas. After viewing a few scenes, I was completely disappointed in the story. However, the poor actors all did a great job despite their horrible scrips and story line. Rebecca DeMornay,(Louise) played a gal who has been around the block quite a few times and decides to get her eyes and claws into a certain guy who bets only on Sunday's at a casino and always wins. As soon as the guy wins large amounts of money, like $150,000. he gives all the money away and keeps about Five Thousand dollars so he can play next Sunday. Saverio Guerra,"Becker" TV Series '98-03(as Bob) makes a few brief appearances and acts just the same way he did in Becker. This is a big waste of time and not worth waisting your time.