IMDb > White Squall (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
White Squall

White Squall More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 10: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

A little corny, but I kind of liked it

Author: John Mankin (mankin@rff.org)
11 June 1999

I thought "White Squall" (***) a pretty good armchair escapist adventure with magnificently photographed scenery (Grenada, Malta, Bermuda, the West Indies, etc.) and a gripping climactic storm that is as good as any I've seen. (The widescreen laser disc looks and sounds great.) The boys are good too, although the somewhat cliched script gives only a few of them enough room to stand out from the crowd (e.g., Ryan Phillippe). Jeff Bridges seems stiff and lightweight in the role of an authority figure (John Wayne he isn't). He scrunches up his face into a scowling expression and keeps it there for most of the picture. Bridges also shares the hokiest dialogue with Cruise look-alike Scot Wolf as the narrator and central protagonist of the picture. (It's billed as "a true story," but I notice there's still a fiction disclaimer at the end.) The anti-climactic trial sequence could probably have been wrapped up in a couple of sentences and put with the other summations that run before the final credits. Still, despite these flaws, I kind of liked it.

Jeff Bridges is Outstanding!

Author: nama chakravorty from India
7 September 2012

Jeff Bridges is Outstanding in 'White Squall'. He delivers from start to end. I loved his performance & even as a film, this Ridley Scott Directed Adventure is superb!

'White Squall' Synopsis: Teenage boys discover discipline and camaraderie on an ill-fated sailing voyage.

Based on the fate of the brigantine Albatross, which sank on 2 May 1961, allegedly because of a white squall, Ridley Scott directs this Adventure with remarkable skill. He's a legend at his craft & he proves it once again. The Screenplay is highly efficient.

Jeff Bridges rules this film. He's exemplary in his portrayal. A Versatile, Oscar-Winning Actor, who never fails to mesmerize his fans.

Watch 'White Squall'. Its Really Good!

Well...

Author: Shari (AfricanVenus84@aol.com) from United States
5 May 2004

Caught this on tv the other day and only because Jeremy Sisto was in it. It really was the Dead Poets Society of the High Seas. Bunch of misfit over-privileged kids with emotionally absent parents sent off to learn about life. I was in and out, because the movie is fairly boring. It was alright as a family film and learning from life experience, but not much more than that. Jeremy killing that dolphin was the high point of the film. This movie was all about the young talent of the time. Movies like that are generally good, but it was really lacking. The climax was supposed to be the squall which looked like water swishing around in a glass magnified. It was just trying to hard to be a film. I don't get the big deal about Ridley Scott. What's so great about his movies? I'm always suspicious of someone with mass appeal. Just means all the idiots are on the same side. I've seen a lot of his stuff and gotta say, not too fond of you buddy. Anywho, it's watchable if you wanna learn a lesson and see supposedly young talent.

White Squall was underrated.

Author: Loz8 from Adelaide
1 November 2000

White Squall was underrated, yet not brilliant. It could definitely have been better with more character development. My favourite characters were Gil and Shay. Ryan Phillippe really surprised me with his fantastic acting ability as Gil, and once again the acting talents of Jason Marsden have been overlooked by other imdb users. He's the character who jumps off the 'yards' *first*. One thing about this movie is that it is hard to tell how much time has gone by therefore comprehension of the plot is marred, there is little emphasis on the boys' schoolwork making it seem like they are on a holiday and other than about 6 characters there are simply stereotypical young men on the ship, with no real identity. Okay, so that's 3 things. A very good thing about the movie is the setting and the way that it is portrayed. Full credit to the cinematographer and Ridley Scott on that account. A good movie. It did make me close to crying.

Good movie but slow in spots

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
29 November 2002

The film is entertaining, and the White squall part is excellent. However, the film is slow in spots, and drags it down from a 7. Jeff Bridges is a good actor, and I like him in this film. The end the film is a bit of a downer, but where would the interest be if no tragedy occurred. Worth watching on TV. 6 or 7 out of 10.

Saw this at a free screening..

Author: revolutioner from San Francisco
21 September 2002

It STILL wasn't worth the price of admission! I love Jeff Bridges and Ridley Scott, but this had to be the low point for both of their careers. I didn't believe it for a second. Terrible script..we have seen it a thousand times. Every single film cliché was utilized with tragic results. I have never screened a film where not even ONE of the scenes were believable. The storm sequences were so poorly shot that I was looking for the wind and rain machines to sneak in frame. It appeared that much of the movie was filmed inside a studio water tank.

The film critics cut Scott WAY too much slack in their reviews for this garbage. Simply AWFUL!!!!

An excellent but very underrated movie!

Author: imcoyrob from Philippines
16 April 2010

White Squall is my personal favorite, not just because of the story and the characters, but also because we seldom see movies that tackle male bonding so deep you even can't help but cry while watching it. I could relate to the story because some parts have resemblance to my life. Great cinematography, great acting, very heartwarming. Ridley Scott just became one of my favorite directors after watching the movie. How I wish I was one of the characters. I particularly liked the role played by Scott Wolf, Charles "Chuck" Gieg, because I see myself in him. Genuine FRIENDSHIP, teamwork, and unity are best portrayed in this excellent but underrated film.

A very good movie, the ending wasn't too good.

Author: Hunky Stud
29 November 2008

I have heard about this movie long time ago, but I have never got a chance to watch it. I finally did it tonight. Even thought it was released in 1995, that was 13 years ago! wow, those actors surely have grown older by now, but it is a timeless classic. So many things happened during that trip, I don't know which is real, which is dramatized. They are all good.

The sound effect is very good, I felt as if I was right there on the boat riding the big waves, hearing the sea pranging against the boat. The sceneries are beautiful. The music was good, but it was not impressive. When I was watching the production note on the DVD, I thought that the music sounds a little familiar to music of the pirates of the Caribbean, and indeed, it was the same composer. If he composed a better score for this movie, it could have made this movie even better, such as the scenes for the last moment of Alice and Gil.

Even though it is more than 2 hours long, it is worth of the time. The white squall scene was very intense. However, the ending felt a little affectation, especially when the guy rang the bell. Also, Jason Marsden was already 20 at that time, but in the movie, he was supposed to be 15. I don't know how old the other characters were at that time. The actors were probably all older than the ages of the real life boys who were on. this trip.

The bell ties it all together

Author: ilcq from United States
13 May 2008

White Squall is one of the best movies I have ever seen. The bell's inscription, "Where we go one, we go all!" ties the whole movie together. It is a tragic story because of the deaths of all the crew members. But the group that began as a bunch of individuals unsure of why they were there became a tight knit crew that stood united in support of their captain and their fellow crew members.

Chuck Gieg said, "I finally understand Homer, 'The journey's the thing.'" We are not in control of the tragedies that befall us. The captain had to learn this lesson the hard way. But through the journey, he learned that he had others to lean on - the crew he trained.

Re:

Author: sherwin martin from Philippines
30 January 2006

I think the movie was just that good i even wonder why the academy ignored it. To its critics, just appreciate it.I do love Dead poet's Society also, and I don't think white squall is an imitation of it.Oh captain my captain is dead's. Where we go one, we go all is for White squall. I appreciate the performances of Scott wolf and Ryan Phillipe as much as i appreciate that of Jeff bridges. Wonder again why he was not even nominated for the golden globe. The song of sting "Valpariso" adds to the beauty of this film. It just so dramatic, i even cried while i was watching it.The best part of the movie is when the boys supported bridges when the court was about to revoke his license as a skipper. I really love that part, i watched it several times. Ridley Scott is really good.peace out

Page 8 of 10: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]