IMDb > White Squall (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
White Squall

White Squall More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 9: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Very good movie. Excellent character development

Author: Flyer-6 from Nashville, TN
30 September 1998

White Squall is a very good movie, and I thought the development of the characters was excellent. Jeff Bridges does a great job as the tough but caring captain. The teenage boys seem very natural and convincing (I felt like I was back in high school). I thoroughly enjoyed the first 3/4 of the movie, up till they encountered the storm. The storm is extremely violent and it is distressing to see people you have come to know go down while you are hoping for some sort of miraculous rescue. From that point on the movie took on a very heavy air, and its entertainment value is much lower.

Great movie

Author: tilsondaughter from United States
17 June 2005

A great movie. Point blank. Everyone loves this movie (yeah, us poor people who realize the elite is out there ). Yeah, its about rich kids whose parents probably had to work their asses off to get money... and realized their kids needed more supervision and insight to get up with real life (work). It's a great movie. I loved it. Real life is that everyone is still a person... how can you not sympathize with these kids ?? Rich or poor, they are still just kids. It's hard to grow up, no matter what walk of life. Everyone has their own demons to deal with. This was a great movie. Please watch this Movie ! The acting is 100%. Phillipe and Jeremy are just great. I was very moved and cried my eyes out, basically.

Uneven, but has it's moments

Author: Idocamstuf from Greenville, NY
29 September 2003

What this film is, is basically a hybrid of "Dead Poets Society", and "The Poseiden Adventure". Jeff Bridges leads a group of boys on a ship where they learn, as well as do vigorous physical exercises. Of course every boy has some problem, let it be grades arn't high enough, or fear of heights, or problems with parents. The cast is very good, but the script is rather weak, leaving the film rather uninvolving. Still its usually entertaining, and all of the ocean water is refreshing to look at. I'll give it a 6.5/10.

All look the same to me.

Author: aramo1 from Ireland
17 April 2003

Based on R1 DVD 129 min.

Maybe I'm getting dumber in my old age but for most of the movie I had trouble putting a character to the faces on screen maybe it's because much of the story takes place off screen. The characters behave in ways unexplained by the story with apparent rivals helping each other as if deep bonds formed within the clips on the cutting room floor.

5/10 catch it on TV.

Why a 3 of 10? Don't economize on the script writer.

Author: Anatoly M. Verkhovsky (averkhov@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
31 January 2000

So i gave this movie a 3 out of 10, and that's a pretty low grade. Why? - i keep asking myself. Why didn't i like it? If you take it apart, every part deserved at least an OK. There are good actors, and they play well, so for acting it deserves at least a 6. The scenery is very beautiful, i must say, this i really enjoyed, nothing beats the 'sun and sea atmosphere'.

It all comes down to plot. Maybe because it's a real story based movie, maybe just a bad script write job, it's hard to say. But my main complaint here, is that i knew what would happen after first 15 minutes of watching it. Maybe not the exact detail, but the outline of the plot is perfectly clear. It is done in the classic American tradition, setting - drama - resolution. But i cannot watch a movie that doesn't offer any surprises, and this is exactly the case here. There are very few movies that i actually would want to see for the second time(that is, if i know the plot beforehand), but these movies have some exceptional brilliant trait, be it the camera work, or the dialog, or something else yet or all things combined. The White Squall is done well, but there is nothing brilliant about it, and since the plot becomes clear very soon, why watch it at all?

I must also confess that i'm very tired of this greatly overused father-son conflict, there has been zillions of movies about it and here is yet another one. In certain situations, it maybe fine to use it, but only if there is something new to be said about it. In this movie it's perfectly trivial. I must also note that the situation is similar with control issue. Part of the drama comes from the fact that the skipper, a man who is used to having perfect control of everything is being shown that this control is no more then an illusion when it comes to forces of nature. And haven't we seen this before, be it the mob, the police, a storm or a flood, it always looks the same.

If you like this kind of drama, that comes from strong men being put to stress, then this is a movie for you, but don't expect any surprises, or clever plot turns.

Washed away

Author: CalTempe@aol.com (CalTempe@aol.com) from Lynden, Washington
9 November 2002

A clean miss and financial flop for Ridley Scott, which is unusual. Jeff Bridges is terribly miscast. The intentions were good-- coming of age in an adventurous setting. But the script is weak and the tragic and harrowing events cannot save the movie. Kevin Costner and Steven Spielberg should have counseled Ridley Scott: "Don't make a movie on the water."

Blows Titanic out of the water!

Author: Benjamyn from Nenana, AK
3 December 2000

In my opinion, this is the best movie ever made about a ship having trouble out on the water. I feel this because there is so much more to this movie. In Titanic, there was a ship that went under water. Not much more. A mediocre script and average acting tried to manipulate more feeling into it, but in the end, it was only a boat that sank.

The Perfect Storm was also lacking. The whole movie was the storm. That's it. But in White Squall, there is so much more. There is the adventure they take, the conquering of fears, the bonds of friendship, and good acting. Jeff Bridges plays his part especially well. So knowledgeable, so in charge.

In all, this movie is definitely in my movie collection as a prized possession. Definitely worth taking a look at.

Oh, the adventure!

Author: trininisa from Orlando, Fl
30 May 2000

Wow, what an adventurous film. I admit the first time I saw the film, after getting over the initial shock of those cuties, I realized how beautiful the picture itself was. Such wonderful place and things to see. The entire thing was well done. I also have to confess that I did cry during the storm. Overall, this was a good film with a smart cast. Wolf's narration is hard to beat.

A little corny, but I kind of liked it

Author: John Mankin (mankin@rff.org)
11 June 1999

I thought "White Squall" (***) a pretty good armchair escapist adventure with magnificently photographed scenery (Grenada, Malta, Bermuda, the West Indies, etc.) and a gripping climactic storm that is as good as any I've seen. (The widescreen laser disc looks and sounds great.) The boys are good too, although the somewhat cliched script gives only a few of them enough room to stand out from the crowd (e.g., Ryan Phillippe). Jeff Bridges seems stiff and lightweight in the role of an authority figure (John Wayne he isn't). He scrunches up his face into a scowling expression and keeps it there for most of the picture. Bridges also shares the hokiest dialogue with Cruise look-alike Scot Wolf as the narrator and central protagonist of the picture. (It's billed as "a true story," but I notice there's still a fiction disclaimer at the end.) The anti-climactic trial sequence could probably have been wrapped up in a couple of sentences and put with the other summations that run before the final credits. Still, despite these flaws, I kind of liked it.

Well...

Author: Shari (AfricanVenus84@aol.com) from United States
5 May 2004

Caught this on tv the other day and only because Jeremy Sisto was in it. It really was the Dead Poets Society of the High Seas. Bunch of misfit over-privileged kids with emotionally absent parents sent off to learn about life. I was in and out, because the movie is fairly boring. It was alright as a family film and learning from life experience, but not much more than that. Jeremy killing that dolphin was the high point of the film. This movie was all about the young talent of the time. Movies like that are generally good, but it was really lacking. The climax was supposed to be the squall which looked like water swishing around in a glass magnified. It was just trying to hard to be a film. I don't get the big deal about Ridley Scott. What's so great about his movies? I'm always suspicious of someone with mass appeal. Just means all the idiots are on the same side. I've seen a lot of his stuff and gotta say, not too fond of you buddy. Anywho, it's watchable if you wanna learn a lesson and see supposedly young talent.

Page 7 of 9: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]