IMDb > The War at Home (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4]

Emotional Wringer!

Author: Liz Cullis (etcullis@lycosmail.com) from Annapolis, MD
21 May 2000

I have to agree with the previous author's comments about the excellent performances and plot. Started watching this movie by accident...(lazy Sunday afternoon clicking channels to see if anything good was on)...and was mesmerized by Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez. Wow! Gut wrenching! Kudos to everyone (have always admired Martin Sheen) but was particularly impressed with Emilio! Excellent job of acting and directing...simply superb! So why have I never heard of this movie before? I'll have to spread the news.

Very good acting and direction

Author: headhunter46 from Madison, Wisconsin, USA
26 May 2005

This movie was well done. It covers the difficulties a returning Vietnam veteran has in dealing with the horrors of war. Unfortunately the writers chose to focus on a Vet who had been involved in an act of atrocity. I was in Vietnam and only once heard of such an act by one who witnessed it. The offender was prosecuted and sentenced to many years in Leavenworth.

The notion that only vets involved in atrocities had emotional problems is a disservice to all who served. All of the soldiers I knew personally or knew of by word of mouth were honorable soldiers who respected even the enemy and believed they were there to halt the spread of Communism. The biggest problem was coming home to learn that many Americans were opposed to the war. That is what caused many Veterans to feel they had taken part in something less than honorable. Not the manner in which they served.

The ending depicted the father acting more as a belligerent bully than a loving, caring father. For that I gave it a 7 out of 10. Had the ending allowed for a degree of acceptance I could have rated it a 9.

Most decent men will come home from war with guilt and emotional scars. They need acceptance and understanding to overcome that. I pray that the public is more understanding of our present day Veterans than it was in the the Vietnam era.

awful.

Author: moviebuff009 from Canada
30 November 2004

i didn't like it one bit, but then again i don't love war movies so that could have done something to me. also, i found the only good part was when sheen's character yells at the cousin for not getting to fight where his son, jeremy had too. other than that, awful and i give it 2/10. i guess that is where people who loved the movie or hated the movie come into play. Also, it was a good effort for the director, although i did find it very disturbing at parts. Also, the only good actor in the whole movie was Mr.Sheen. Although if it were based upon a play i would love to see the play and maybe then i'd give it a better rating. So for all the ones who liked it i'm glad and for all those that didn't like it i understand that in this world we are allowed to dislike certain movies too.

Dark night of the Emilio soul

Author: matthew wilder (picqueur@aol.com) from los angeles
13 June 1999

Emilio Estevez must have watched Tom Cruise's performance as Ron Kovic and turned green with envy; that's the only explanation for this vet-comes-home-to-uncomprehending-family drama, which clings to the stage like barnacles to a U-boat. Painfully well-intentioned, but mostly just painful, it wouldn't be a bad TV movie about a middle-class family's helplessness in the wake of a son's agony they can't process: Martin Sheen is particularly fine as the dad who tries to keep the lid on with his traditional enforcement of the rules. Much of the movie, however, is given over to director-producer-star Estevez's glowering and Monty Clift staring into space. One doesn't want to be mean about an obvious labor of love such as this, so the gentlest way to put it is: the movie may give you newfound respect for Tom Cruise's gifts as an actor.

Page 4 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4]