IMDb > Two If by Sea (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Two If by Sea

Two If by Sea More at IMDbPro »

A cute, funny, guilty pleasure type of movie

Author: WolverineGirl from Ann Arbor, MI
26 November 2001

The story is nothing new, the acting ain't that great, but "Two if by Sea" has its moments. It's an entertaining little movie, and Sandra Bullock's mixture of charm, sarcasm, and innocence play out well. The movie knows it's not too sophisticated or shrewd (even the cop says of his own investigation, "this is too easy") and it's a great film to watch on an afternoon or just to be entertained. If you're a Sandra fan, you'll like it no matter what. :)

Funny movie, but more appealing to Denis Leary fans

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
30 March 2001

I am a big fan of Denis Leary, and I thought this was a damn funny movie. The plot is cut-and-dry (the little plot that exists), but it works out nicely as a comedy, mostly due to Leary's funny dialogue and humorous arguments between him and Bullock. I think Bullock was miscast, though. She did an OK job, but her accent drifted many times. If you like Leary, you'll probably have a great time. I especially loved the scene where Leary was going fishing and he shoots one of the fish. Then he cooks it up, serves it up to Bullock and she spits out a bullet. That was classic. But for non-Leary fans...you might not enjoy it as much. I don't consider him an acquired taste, but his foul-mouthed banter doesn't appeal to everyone.

Romantic Comedy at its best

Author: Richard Sargent (riky.sarg@cwcom.net) from England
2 January 1999

Roz [Sandra Bullock] Has hooked up with Frank [Dennis Leary, a small time crook who is always looking for that big job to retire on] who is fed up with him not treating her as a lady, she reluctantly ends up in this little coastal town to do a deal with the stolen painting on their last job, where they try to fit in among the residents living there, when Roz finds how the other half live and likes it, she also finds a love.

A very funny romantic comedy, look out for the scene Sandra's getting changed, and on the bed with Dennis.

A little harsh "John Wright" the movie is pretty decent

Author: Sax from Chico, CA
23 May 1999

This movie is best explained by the staff at IMdb.I thought it was funnier than s**t.The plot wasn't really important for this movie to be worth watching.I haven't seen Leary ever play a bad role or stand up & I guess one would have to understand his humor,and if you do you will enjoy "Two if by Sea".If you don't like a movie,one can criticize,without such an outrage of anger.Come on!It's just the movies on a friendly database.Lighten up Mr. Wright.

Minor gem

Author: xredgarnetx from Connecticut
4 November 2006

A blonde Sandra B. and her beau of longstanding, played by the equally blond Dennis Leary, romp their way through a romantic comedy having to do with a bunch of small-time crooks and a very valuable stolen painting. Shot in scenic Nova Scotia, the backgrounds are absolutely gorgeous, and Bullock and Leary have great rapport that makes their rocky relationship very believable. FBI agent Yaphet Koto is along for the ride in a role similar to the one he essayed in MIDNIGHT RUN. Leary co-wrote this, In a manner reminiscent of Donald Westlake -- which is a very good thing, if you know who Westlake is. If not, look him up. Leary is consistently Leary (maybe he was born a fully developed adult), while Bullock in 1996 is growing into the superstar that we know today. She's playing a role that might have been Julia Roberts' a few years before, as she did in several other pictures prior to SPEED and MISS CONGENIALITY, which she made her own.

one beautiful movie....

Author: Simon Larsen from Denmark
3 April 2000

Two if by sea never received the great reviews it really deserved. Maybe its because i´m a big fan of Sandra Bullock and an even bigger fan of Denis Leary this movie is so good to me, but a lot of my friends really like it too. Its a lovely story which in the end really comes down to one thing, Love!. I have seen this movie 10 times and it never gets me bored. its full of funny lines and romantic/sad scenes. Denis Leary proves that besides being a great stand up comedian he is also one great actor. Two if by sea is not the best movie ever made but it sure is one of them.

Go rent it, be open minded about it, and the honest acting really gets to you.

Lighthearted entertainment

Author: SquirePM from Birmingham, Alabama
21 May 2002

Maybe there's a reason people who live in provinces are called

provincial. Perhaps they expect a "Citizen Kane" or a "Godfather"

every time they step into a theater. Great movies are few and far

between, and about the best you can usually hope for is a

coherent tale told in an entertaining way.

And that "Two If By Sea" certainly is. I give it 9 out of 10 for its

hilarity, subtle performances, niceness, great scenery, and overall

execution. It's a warm movie filled with lots of really zingy little

funnies. It never strays far from its agreeable theme of true love,

and when it does it takes delightful tangents into: pure slapstick

goofiness, devastatingly piercing pricking of the neuveau riche,

adolescence, and even the plight of the city dweller who thinks

he's "out in the country" (as when a terrified Leary draws a .38 on a

tame deer). You have to admire a director who can take as many

potshots at life as "Airplane!" does, and still stay within the context

of a story as cohesive as this one is.

Actually this is one of Denis Leary's finest hours. He portrays a

guy who gets along in life by being tough and irascible, although at

heart he's hard pressed to cope with the world in general and

completely confused by love. Sure his character comes across as

grating -- it's supposed to. But if you can't see past the facade to

the nice guy underneath, you're not much of a moviegoer.

To his excellent work the director adds Sandra Bullock's character,

who is just enough not satisfied with a simple, linear life to throw

Leary into one tailspin after another. Their chemistry is often

prickly, but always centered around the movie's core theme. And it

takes real talent to portray her part with the touch of frustration she

has, without coming across as a bitch. Bullock impressed me by

achieving just the right tone.

And in the end, what more could you want? The good guys all find

ways to win and the bad guy loses his claim to fame and goes

down in flame, blame and shame. Whoooeee!

Charming romantic comedy about two lovers on the lam that'll make you laugh and smile from start to finish

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
5 December 2005

TWO IF BY SEA, in my opinion, is a charming romantic comedy about two lovers on the lam that'll make you laugh and smile from start to finish. If you ask me, Frank (Denis Leary) and Roz (Sandra Bullock) made an absolutely cute couple. I just don't understand why Frank felt he had to pull off that one last job before making amends with Roz. However, when she impersonated Homer Simpson, I laughed really hard. Someday, I'd like to go to somewhere in New England for a vacation. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that the production design was nice, the costumes were perfectly designed, and the performances were great. Now, in conclusion, I highly recommend this romantic comedy about two lovers on the lam that'll make you laugh and smile from start to finish to any Denis Leary or Sandra Bullock fan who hasn't seen it.

not as bad as I had heard

Author: luvwahoo (luvwahoo@aol.com) from Lorain, Ohio, USA
12 August 2001

I avoided watching this for quite a while because I had heard it wasn't too good. But actually, I enjoyed it...enough that I have watched it twice now. I have a question the the data base cannot answer for me, though. The actor who plays the lacky to FBI agent O'Malley...he's not listed, but he has to be Dave Coulier from Full House. If anyone knows could they email me, please. Thanks

Movies that are panned can sometimes be enjoyed

Author: Alice Copeland Brown (alicecbrown@yahoo.com) from Boston
27 July 2006

Of course, I'm from Boston and Dennis' in-jokes about Bostonians gets me, especially since I've seen the Roast of Leary. And anyone who puts out a fund for firemen has my vote, as Dennis does. I loved the ode to plasterers so subtly portrayed in the finale.

I also loved his deliberate skewering of the rich folks at the cocktail party, but wouldn't it be nice just once if a writer (Leary) once said to himself: "What is the movie audience expecting here? What can I put in here that would destroy this?" How about 2 rich folks who could confront him with his deliberate "How can I best offend you?" manners, showing that it is HE who may be the reverse snob? REquires perhaps more subtlety than Dennis has. He is a great writer for 'all guys, all the time' shows: so how about something confronting his homophobic or even homophilic attitudes? I ask too much, I know.

and who owned the sailboat that kept sailing in and out of our view at the end of the road in the finale? Someone who Dennis owed money to? It was totally out of place, like a kid who keeps running into the camera's view just to get on TV.

Just another nit: You can't have sex in the way Dennis was trying to have it in the car, unless you're hung like a donkey, which he isn't despite his big hands.

Bullock: she's great, a real class act, as Leary has given homage to many times. I have ordered his "Deliver Me" to see if his acting has improved, if not his writing. WE'll see. He seems to play John Wayne, who always played himself....that school of acting.....too much for my liking.

And guess what? The unsolved Isabella Gardner art heist here in Boston is probably what triggered his imagination for this movie. Now on to 'The Ref', which DID get good reviews.