IMDb > The Truth About Cats & Dogs (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Truth About Cats & Dogs

The Truth About Cats & Dogs More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

An absolutely *wonderful* film.

Author: Phil Chapman ( from Alberta, Canada
19 March 2007

This is not only one of the best movies I've ever seen, I bought *three* copies. One each for other members of my family. Sure, it's somewhat like Syrano-Bergerac, but not like "Roxanne" (w/Steve Martin & Darryl Hannah), which is an exact copy.

This (Truth About Cats & Dogs) is a film that is well acted by Janeane Garofalo AND Uma Thurman. It has a great story, great cinematography and is great for the whole family. Maybe with the exception of the "phone/bed scene", which may be considered a "not yet" for kids under 13.

Rent this movie, and enjoy! My favorite scene was the "stunt bicyclist" - you simply *must* see that scene!

My truth about Cats & Dogs

Author: BetsNYCity from United States
6 December 2006

This movie is funny, romantic, and sexy. It does not drag. I love it! I even bought it and I do not buy movies! So you guys out there ... listen ... rent out this movie to watch with your girl or wife. I am sure she will like it or love it like me. It will make you laugh and it will even grab your heart when Abby watches her friend Noelle sleep (?) with "her" man

What can Abby, a sharp but insecure radio talk show host, and Noelle, a beautiful and eager-to-please model, possible have in common? The two unlikely friends ...are about to find out when Abby finds herself strongly attracted to a charming photographer, and asks Noelle to assume her identity when he unexpectedly comes calling to meet the person behind the beguiling radio personality. A series of romantic and comic misadventures follows, finally giving way to true love and friendship.

Heart-warming romantic comedy

Author: julystar-1 from Japan
30 October 2006

Is it possible for romantic rivals to keep a good friendship and to be true companions? This movie discovers the truth about two women, Abby and Noelle so clearly.

Dr. Abby Barnes, played by Janeane Garofalo, is a radio show personality who talks about the "The Truth about Cats and Dogs" on her program. She is smart, but negative about men because she is a type of "Time Magazine's woman of the Year" On the contrary, Noelle, played by Uma Thurman, is a professional model and positive about men because she is a type of "Playboy's Playmate of the Year." One day, Brian, played by Ben Chaplin, who is a listener of Abby's show has a problem with his dog and calls her. Attracted by Abby's voice, Brian visits the radio station to meet her. Brian meets a beautiful woman with blonde hair who Brian believes Abby, but the truth is…..

Though the plot is predictable and unrealistic, viewers can enjoy the movie because it is a story about a true friendship between romantic rivals. Some might call this movie a chick flick, still, this "warmhearted"; "quick-witted" movie is "fabulous and greatly entertaining".

Fairly Entertaining

Author: George Attwood from Canada
2 July 2006

THE TRUTH ABOUT CATS & DOGS ***1/2 In Jeneane Garofalo's starring debut, she plays a smart-talking radio show host who helps callers with problems concerning their pets. When she attracts local listener Ben Chaplin with her voice and quick wit, and he wants to set a meeting time with her, she sends statuesque Uma Thurman in her place because of self-esteem issues. Several complications ensue from here, including the occurrences of both ladies falling for the nice guy. I find the film fairly entertaining until the climax is reached, when I want to stop the characters from mellowing about in their deceptions so they can send out the punchline already.

Just funny!

Author: dy158 from Singapore
19 June 2006

I had always knew why when four years ago I first watched this on a projector at the school hall of my alma mater then with other peers are part of our school's post-exam activities - movie-watching, almost many laughed.

I mean really, it's not many a times that cats and dogs do steal some of the spotlight other than humans, i.e., a veterinarian & radio show host.

Just to watch those animals on screen doing their antics, it's enough to almost sent me rolling in stitches at that time.

Definitely one of those favourite comedies of mine.

I always knew animals were man's best friends

Author: ronbus from Amlwch, North Wales, U.K.
26 April 2006

The Truth Aboout Cats and Dogs I found a touching film. This Radio Talk Show Vet (played by Janeane Garofalo) gives advice over the airwaves to the general public, whilst keeping herself very much to herself. She has the wrong persona about herself; and when a male listener falls for the voice he hears on the radio, she misleads him into thinking that she is someone she's not by asking a friend (played by Uma Thurman) to deputise for her on a date. This is a recipe for comedy, and a good deal of problems for our demure vet.

The film, which last something over 90 minutes places, in my mind, the wrong person as "Leading Lady" on the credits; not giving the top billing she deserves to Janeane Garofalo as the Radio Vet.

A touching Comedy Romance, with great work from Janeane Garofalo and Uma Thurman.

Well worth seeing if you haven't already; and well worth seeing over and over again if you have.

A Cyrano de Bergerac for a modern audience...

Author: benabaxter from United States
1 June 2005

...which, unlike Roxanne, a more direct adaptation, is in no way farcical. It has a distinct message and is perhaps the most pleasant romantic comedy to have been produced perhaps ever, at least since It Happened One Night. The characters are nearly all sympathetic and never exchange cruel jabs at each other or swear profusely. This is a remarkable achievement.

The acting is terrific and the movie as a whole is a joy to watch, if a little slow-paced now and then.

I would recommend this movie to anyone willing to accept a few plot holes whose patch-jobs are somewhat ineffective.

Not funny but good story

Author: Cubbysden99 from Canada
8 July 2004

This movie wasn't really a comedy it was more of a love story. I don't think I laughed once, but I still enjoyed it. It was kind of predictable though, but still it is still a good time waster. The acting was great and the plot was great. It was a bit boring though, well I thought it was but this isn't really my kind of movie. If you like a descent romance movie that I recommend it to you. If you aren't a romance type of person then forget about it not for you. If the movie was more funny it would probably be a top movie, but no jokes, it is hard to sit through. Especially after you watch it the first time, it will be hard to watch it again, because you know what happens and it's not really funny. If I had to rate this movie I would probably give it a 5.5 on 10.

Garofalo shines in sold romantic comedy

Author: Joshua Bardwell from Atlanta, GA
16 December 2003

Synopsis: Janeane plays Abby, the host of a radio talk show on pets and pet care. One day Brian calls in with a problem with a dog. Brian is cute and charming, Abby helps him out of his jam. Brian calls to thank her, invites her to meet him. Abby says yes then gets self-conscious about her appearance and stands him up. Abby's magazine-model neighbor, Noelle (Thurman) visits her at the station just as Brian drops by. Abby convinces Noelle to stand in for her while Abby plays Noelle's assistant. Romantic comedy, of the mistaken-identity variety, ensues.

The only problem I've got with this movie is the obvious suspension of disbelief required to accept Abby's ridiculous behavior in the beginning of the movie. Asking Noelle to sit in might have been acceptable, but once she met Brian and decided she liked him, it's just ridiculous that she didn't tell him the truth. Sure, the movie contrives a series of circumstances to get in the way of her telling him until she's in too deep to get out easily (and thus, has to propagate the lie), but I didn't find them entirely believable. Whatever--the movie as a whole was worth overlooking this small fault.

It's fun to watch the relationship develop between Brian, Abby, and Noelle. Garofalo, Thurman, and whoever that guy is who plays Brian all put in a good performance. There are several funny or cute moments (Abby (crying): "Guys don't have to go through this appearance stuff. If I were a guy, I'd be so perfect. I've got a job, I'm smart." Noelle: "I'd f**k you, honey."). Good date movie, but I'm the kind of sap who puts it in when he's home alone just for fun :-)

Author: dayle2 from Orange Park, FL
11 August 2002

I have seen this movie several times (it's now enjoying a run on CINEMAX) and I can definitely empathize with Abby, because I feel the way about myself that she does - bland, boring, nondescript, not-worth-a-second-glance, etc...but what I don't get is that, to me anyway, Abby is a LOT prettier than Noelle! True, Noelle is tall and blonde, but appears pale and washed out. Abby has vibrant coloring and beautiful eyes, especially when she smiles. Also, I've noticed that the so-called "beautiful people" tend to be shallow and self-centered and the "ugly ducklings" tend to be kind and sympathetic, as if to somehow prove that they ARE worth something!

Page 6 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]