IMDb > The Truth About Cats & Dogs (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Better Than Expected

Author: bigverybadtom from United States
16 July 2013

A trite concept, admittedly, though the gender roles are reversed. A plain woman (Abby) wants to date a handsome man whom she assumes would reject him due to her appearance, so she has a pretty friend (Noelle) take her place, and the story resolves as expected.

So how does this movie stand out? Abby is a radio host with a show about dealing with pets, and Noelle is an actress neighbor she meets by chance who has an abusive boyfriend. The man has fallen in love with Abby's radio voice and personality, but Abby is too afraid to meet him in person, though they are fine as long as they are only talking without him actually being able to see Abby. When the man meets Noelle, assuming she's Abby, he gets suspicious, but Abby is too afraid to reveal herself, and there are the expected complications from that.

Animals are used in the story, but fortunately not overused so that they drown out the human story. The three main characters interact convincingly, and the story doesn't fall into the trap of screwball farce when it easily could have. Also, profanity and sexuality are kept to a minimum. Recommended.

Thoroughly predictable but I did enjoy it

Author: preppy-3 from United States
4 July 2012

A radio DJ named Abby Barnes (Janeane Garofalo) conducts a live online show advising people about their pets. One day Brian (Ben Chaplin) calls for help. He gets it...but falls in love with her voice. He plans to meet her but she has low self-esteem so she gets her beautiful model neighbor (Uma Thurman) to pose as HER! Predictable complications follow and it leads to an insultingly stupid happy ending.

I should hate this movie a LOT! The plot is stupid--these people are total idiots! Thurman or Garofalo's characters could have said something and stopped it immediately...but then there would be no movie. The complications that come up preventing them get dumber and dumber. Also the ending would NEVER happen in real life. So why am I giving it 7 stars? The three leads. They're great! They're attractive, give good performances and seem totally at ease with it. Also the script (basic plot aside) is funny full of great one-liners that the cast goes into with ease (only Chaplin seems a little unsure). There's also a steamy phone sex scene that was pretty risqué for a PG-13 movie (but it leads to a great punch line at the end). So the movie is stupid and predictable but I did like it. I give it a 7.

structurally flawed but fun movie

Author: aelaycock from United Kingdom
12 January 2012

What I really like about this movie is actually a sideline. It's a friendship between two women. How many movies can you name which have, centre-stage, a straightforward friendship between two women? Yet real life is full of such friendships. This one is particularly well-done, thanks to the acting talents of Uma Thurman and Janeanne Garofalo. Personally I don't see Uma Thurman as a dumb blonde. I keep getting flashbacks from "Kill Bill" and "Pulp fiction". She is such an intelligent and accomplished actress; but let's face it, she's not stunningly physically attractive - like, say, Scarlett Johannson. Ben Chaplin's somewhat subdued role doesn't do justice to his considerable acting talents, either (catch him in the British sitcom "Game on", you will see what I mean - incidentally Samantha Janus in the same sitcom would have been terrific in the Uma Thurman role). The main reason for giving it 8 is the performance of Janeane Garofalo, which is outstanding. And the dog, and the cat.

An enjoyable movie, with some flaws in the structure.

As funny and romantic as a good romcom should be

Author: milagro1975 from Moscow, Russia
19 December 2011

I saw it about a decade ago and thought it was nice but not outstanding. Last night I was rewatching it at my friends' and couldn't help thinking it was unusually good! I guess it's all those 2000s romcoms with their WC humour and cartoon-like characters showed me the true depths of profanity :) This movie, quite competent in itself, now stands out more in comparison.

The plot is rather unrealistic as common in this type of films (the premise aside it's hard to believe that Brian couldn't identify the real Abby by her voice - the very feature he'd initially fallen for!) but the characters are not one-dimensional and one can relate to each of the three. Both Abby and Noelle are sweet and warm in their different ways, and Brian the lover is ardent and romantic yet not completely idiotic in his strange situation :)

I agree with many reviewers that the phone sex scene is a bit off, but the following scene with the snicker throwing (and his putting it to his heart) makes up for it. It's just priceless. And I think it makes sense that Abby finds it even more difficult to tell him the truth after. The emotional development is delivered pretty well, I enjoyed seeing Brian start to really like Abby (the photographing and, to a degree, the sunset scenes) while still being dazed by combined Abby/Noelle perfect woman's image, and also Abby/Noelle interaction involving friendship, jealousy, competition... it really ringed true to me.

The sunset scene was a bit off character: I mean Brian is far beyond friendly in it and there's undeniable attraction, so one naturally thinks he'd either realize "Donna' was the one for him and not "Abby", or be considered flirting with his love's best friend in her absence. We actually don't see the former nor want to see the later! Abby's face expression is very touching in it, though. The movie hits its best in the part when Brian figures it all out and later the cafe scene. It gets to your heart to see how people can lose a chance of finding true love (or another good relationship, for that matter) due to their fear of rejection and lies. If the film stopped at this point it would be far more thought-provoking actually, but that would be another genre (and the movie would be Russian or French :)).

But some of the script deficiency is compensated by acting (esp. Garofalo's). And of course the dog is just dearie. The end lines cracked me up again!

Smart Brains versus Beauty Movie

Author: copperncherrio from United States
13 March 2011

A great chick flick that focuses on the realistically of a friendship more than a romance. This story follows two gals: one a sweet movie and another that has a face for radio. I have a few contentions with that… but first let's go over the movie. Our main character is a hosts a radio talk show about Animals. During which one of her callers asks her out.

Freaked out and very insecure about her appearance she gets her neighbor the model (played by Uma Thurman) to pretend to be her during the meet. Obviously the movie turns into a series of tests of whether our Romeo loves the brains or the beauty.

In this movie they emphasize how atrocious Janeane Garofalo looks, which is simply not the case. Other than being far shorter than Uma Thurman, Janeane is quite cute. So I didn't really take that as a legitimate plot issue. However, the movie had a sincerity to it that you just do not see now a days, therefore making it a good watch.

Fun, entertaining and thought provoking

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
20 June 2009

This film is about a man falling in love with a vet on the radio. However, the woman is not who he really thinks she is.

"The Truth About Cats & Dogs" is a great romantic comedy with a refreshing plot. Though the merry mishap in the beginning cascade into an uncontrollable mess sounds like the typical romantic comedy, the fact that it involves two leading women is a surprising twist. Abby is the vet with a charming personality but average looks, while Noelle is extraordinarily beautiful. It examines how men might choose their partners, and how women think men choose their partners. It sends a positive message that a deeper level of attractiveness and beauty is what create the sparks. It is thought provoking, and entertaining at the same time.

A guilty pleasure

Author: kookoomolokoo from United Kingdom
12 January 2009

The title claims The Truth about Cats & Dogs, a little misleading, considering the movie has little to do with either, perhaps it is a metaphor for The Truth about Women & Men, or as the case may be Two Women & One Man, who thinks Two women are One. Confused? You will be

The plot is ludicrous at best, and expect a heavy coating of cheese, but what the movie lacks in realism it makes up for in charm, as we ride out the difficult journey for unconfident Abbey as she gets her man. If there were one flaw in the movie, that niggled me, it was that the more we get to know Abbey, the flakier and at times, downright rude she becomes, in the end i secretly found myself rooting for the silly but uncomplicated Noelle, whom we are meant to oppose. The male lead however is spot on, the female audience will find even themselves falling for sensitive Brian, and the equally charming Hank (the dog)

Overall, a feel-good film, and a pleasure to watch if you can overlook the initial cheese and character inconsistencies

The truth about this romcom is that it is fun, daring, and insightful, a good choice for the genre's fans

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
2 June 2008

Dr. Abby Barnes (Janeane Garofalo) is on the radio every day, giving advice on pet care with humor and smarts. But, in real life, she has a problem with her self-image, believing herself to be a bit too short and a bit too plump to attract men. One day, she "rescues" her beautiful neighbor, Noelle (Uma Thurman) from a verbal beating by her manager/boyfriend. Noelle is grateful and decides to drop in on Abby at the radio station, to thank her again. Meanwhile, a gentleman named Brian (Ben Chaplin), who recently called Abby's program to seek immediate help with a canine, is also coming to the broadcasting booth to extend HIS thanks. In truth, Brian is intrigued by Abby's wit and humor and wants to check her out. But, because Abby is so certain Brian will reject her as a woman, she hastily persuades Noelle to pretend that she is the on-air doctor. Naturally, Brian likes what he sees in the lovely Noelle and asks her out, much to Abby's discomfort. But, over the course of the next few weeks, Brian becomes thoroughly confused. Every time he talks with Abby on the phone, he is charmed by her personality but when he sees Abby/Noelle in person, he is struck by the fact that she appears to be somewhat "empty-headed" and intellectually challenged. How can this be, he wonders? Well, just wait until the secrets come out, dear Brian! This is a wonderful romantic comedy, one full of fun, insightfulness and daring. It asks the proverbial question, what is most important in the love between two people, their physical appearances or their minds? As Abby, Garofalo gives a great turn, for her mighty wit and intelligence comes through in every scene. Chaplin makes a very attractive love object while Thurman does a nice job, too, as the beautiful, desirable model who, nevertheless, has a dim bulb in the attic. The California setting is totally gorgeous while the costumes, especially Thurman's, are very well chosen. As for the script, it is zestfully and blissfully challenging and fun. The truth about this film, therefore, is most romcom lovers will adore it. Do make plans to see it soon.

Charming to watch - give it about 15 minutes to grow on you.

Author: vram22 from United States
27 February 2008

This is a charming little movie. Although the story is an old and well-known one, the character performances and script were very good and made this movie interesting to watch. If you don't get interested immediately, give it about 15 minutes - that's what it took me to start really liking it.

The movie is a classic "Cyrano de Bergerac" story about a radio talk show host who enlists the help of an attractive neighbor (played by Uma Thurman) to deal with an interested listener to her show.

The first time I ventured watching this movie, I quit after about 10 minutes. However, I kept reading good things about it so I went a little further the second time and was hooked to the end.

The main character (played by Janeane Garofalo) is brilliantly fun to hear. She is self-doubting, cynical and intelligently witty. Her character, along with a decent script and a few clever bits of wisdom along the way make the movie worthwhile watching. It's not quite "laugh-out" funny, but it's "cute".

Suspension of disbelief

Author: Galicius from Hudson Highlands, United States
16 February 2008

A Romantic Comedy requires suspension of disbelief like a romantic relationship itself, which won't happen unless you venture into the fantastic and unknown that the apple of your desire promises. But you have to walk a fine line to stay on the rosy side and not see the absurd behind the pink colored sunglasses you put on. We enjoyed this film because the characters were almost believable and we kept on our rosy sunglasses. Uma was so much more wonderful than in the Kill Bill films. Garofalo was totally new to us non-TV people. It was hard to make her look unattractive even in subdued light. But it's not a family film: unnecessary phone sex scene and language. If the absurd doesn't get to you then you will enjoy it.

Page 5 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]