IMDb > The Truth About Cats & Dogs (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

embarrassingly bad

Author: roykogan from United States
28 August 2007

Yes, I winced. I kept waiting for the guy to let on that he knew what was going on; that would have been slightly more believable, and may have elevated this to the status of "charming" romantic comedy that so many have found it. As stands, there is not an ounce of truth, or intelligence, about this film. Oh, cut it with the sledgehammer of a "message", that doesn't even work here. The Garofolo character is supposed to impress as a woman of substance, but really, she is so undeveloped as a person such that the substance falls by the wayside. This ain't about her shape or size or face. If these people were in their teen years it may have been more convincing. If Garofolo's character had showed more vulnerability, real vulnerability in a mature skin, it may have won me over. The only character that kept me watching here was Ben Chaplin's--now there is a person of substance, with enormous charisma and a beautiful presence. There's the fantasy dream in this movie. The Garolo character is pathetic, but not for the reasons purported here...

A typical example of Hollywood's hypocrisy

Author: vispateresa from Milan, Italy
17 December 2000

The message of this movie is "personality is more important than beauty". Jeanine Garofalo is supposed to be the "ugly duckling", but the funny thing is that she's not at all ugly (actually she's a lot more attractive than Uma Thurman, the friend who looks like a model).

Now, would this movie work if the "ugly duckling" was really unattractive? When will Hollywood stop with this hypocrisy?

In my opinion, despite the message that it wants to convey, this movie is simply ridiculous.

Never seen a romantic comedy like this

Author: ersumitprakash01 from Bangalore, India
16 July 2015

I guess the worst feeling i had after watching the movie was - why didn't i see it before. I just came to know that its inspired by the play - CYRANO DE BERGERAC. I haven't watched the original play so i can't compare with it but the basic thing that works for the movie is the real people with real emotions that exists in this world. The emotion of low self esteem is wide spread in this world. Without thinking anyone can say that Janeane's acting was stood out in the movie. The basic requirement of a rom-com is to be realistic and display emotions that pertain to individuals thought process. No doubt in saying that this movie excels in that aspect.Definitely not a movie to be missed.

Watch Animal Planet to Discover the Truth.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
5 June 2015

The Truth About Cats and Dogs (1996): Dir: Michael Lehmann / Cast: Janeane Garofalo, Uma Thurman, Ben Chaplin, Jamie Foxx, James McCaffrey: Amusing romantic comedy about gender differences. Janeane Garofalo plays a radio personality who gives advice about pet care. She is insecure but when a male caller is given successful advice he asks her to lunch. Afraid of being brushed off she has the fetching Uma Thurman pose as her. Charming setup follows predictable formula made bearable through its leads. Director Michael Lehmann is given fine chemistry between Garofalo and Thurman who play off the antics effectively. Garofalo brings a fresh energy with her job and self esteem. Thurman plays someone who is dealing with a bad relationship but hopes to succeed in music. We know the outcome but they at least entertain with their back and forth role reversal with regards to voice. Ben Chaplin as the male caller is a predictable prop. He is basically there to be lied too then forgive and forget so that this can be wrapped up without glitches. Jamie Foxx is even less broad and basically renders to the formula. Had the film placed more emphasis on the radio advice it might have been more interesting but as it is it should appeal to fans of chick flicks. It regards genders and personalities and exploits other truths about cats and dogs…and the odd turtle too. Score: 7 / 10

a superficial unrealistic storyline

Author: krissyafite1979 from long island
1 June 2015

When I was a teen I loved this film because it was a happy love story. Like a modern cyrno de bergerac or roxannee from a womens perspective. Unlike Roxanne or cyrno, where the romantic interest was initially interested in the one she was more physically attracted too, in this film, the romantic interest did not know what she looked like so you don't really know if he wouldve been attracted to her had he seen the real her from the beginning. Many women and many romantic at hearts would probably want to believe he would have liked her had he been given the chance to see what she looked like. Cynics would say the opposite maybe. As an adult seeing the movie again, I didn't like him much. He seemed shallow. What those girls did was wrong but he never let her explain. Also when she was pretending to be her friend and said she made cheese for a living (why she made that up I don't know) He kind of looked at her like she was crazy, like it should matter what she does. What did he do, made no money taking photos and worked a menial job? Uma Thurman was suppose to be the attractive one but neither of them were unattractive or gorgeous, both were adorable and pretty though.At the end he calls the friend dumb and attractive and her smart, but doesn't say anything about her looks, I guess implying he didn't think she was bad looking but maybe she just did not stand out to him, I don't know. She mentions she gained a lot of weight for collegebut she was not obese. I garofolo said she didn't like the film but I csn understand why. I think she would prefer an ending where maybe they were still friends and hugged and made up but she decided he was not for her but learned to love herself. I would be fine with her winding up with somebody at tge end but not somebody who didn't find her beautiful.

A romantic comedy that should have made its star a star

Author: Gideon24 from United States
18 March 2015

A romantic comedy that got by quite a few moviegoers during its original release, The Truth About Cats and Dogs is a 1996 comedy which could be considered a distaff re-thinking of Cyrano de Bergerac, not up to the quality of Steve Martin's Roxanne, but a fun and smart film that should have made a genuine movie star out of its leading lady.

The film stars stand-up comedienne Janeane Garafalo as Abby, the host of the radio call-in show of the title, who almost simultaneously connects with a handsome dog owner named Brian (Ben Chaplin) who calls her show and a beautiful neighbor named Noelle (Uma Thurman) who has just escaped an abusive relationship. When Brian shows up at the radio station to thank Abby for the advice he gave her on the air, a frightfully insecure Abby asks Noelle to pretend to be Abby, but immediately regrets it when she realizes that Brian is sincerely smitten with Noelle's personality, which is really Abby's but Abby is scared that she will scare Brian off when he finds out she doesn't look like Noelle.

This comedy sucks us in right from the beginning because the character of Abby is immensely likable and, as an observer to the goings-on, we don't understand Abby's insecurity about herself and we're certain she and Brian would be instant soul mates. However, the story aggravates as we realize that as much as he loves Abby's personality, he is also smitten by the package wrapped around it in Noelle. Even Noelle, not the brightest bulb in the row, realizes it is Abby that Brian wants but can't convince Abby to come clean.

Audrey Well's screenplay is clever and serves its cast well. Garafalo is an absolute revelation in the role of Abby, her first leading screen role...sort of a Streisand for the 90's, the gal who may not be a raving beauty, but has enough brains and wit to make her looks seems not so important. Garafalo's performance here should have made her an instant movie star, but mysteriously, it didn't. Uma Thurman brings a substance to the role of the empty-headed Noelle that really isn't in the screenplay and Ben Chaplin is a very sexy leading man, a guy who thinks he's torn between two women, but really isn't. The scene where Garafalo and Chaplin have an all-night phone conversation is wonderful but further aggravates us as we wonder why Brian seems oblivious to the fact that the voice of radio Abby is different than the voice of Noelle/Abby and the fact that he accepts Abby's explanation that she uses a "radio voice" is kind of hard to swallow, but I digress.

The film is funny and smart and kept me interested until the final reel because, refreshing for a contemporary film comedy, the ending isn't really foreshadowed. A romantic comedy with a one-of-a-kind lead character that will charm and endear her to you.

Surprise Story

Author: danielegal from Ormond Beach
15 March 2015

The Truth about Cats and Dogs is a Surprise Story in that it appears at first glance to be a typical Romantic Comedy with a stock ending, but it i much more than that. After seeking various clips of the film at different time a viewing of the full feature was a very pleasant surprise, with what I believe are outstanding performances by the players, all of whom seemed to fit their role and exude a comfortable expression of the characters. For a film almost 20 years old it hold up well in a market filled with a need for Blockbusters or Bust. I emphatically recommend this film as a nice departure from the stock Love Story yet filled with the tried and true formula. I would highly recommend it.

cute sitcom

Author: SnoopyStyle
21 June 2014

Dr. Abby Barnes (Janeane Garofalo) hosts the "Truth About Cats and Dogs" radio show. Caller Brian (Ben Chaplin) wants to meet Abby. She gives him a description of her hot neighbor Noelle (Uma Thurman). She comes to the rescue standing up to Noelle's brutish manager-boyfriend. Brian comes to the station to find Abby but mistakes Noelle as Abby. Abby becomes the fake best friend Donna. He falls for Abby's voice and Noelle's body. Ed (Jamie Foxx) is Brian's best friend.

It's Cyrano de Bergerac on the surface but more of a sitcom in its substance. These are two dimensional characters. Smart mouthed Garofalo is adorable. Uma Thurman is playing it a little too dumb. At least they have some fun together. The mistaken identity is cute and silly but not really that deep. It's definitely sitcomy with Noelle sticking her finger up a turtle's butt. The best part of the movie is the girls' friendship. The romance isn't quite so compelling and very melodramatic.

Better Than Expected

Author: bigverybadtom from United States
16 July 2013

A trite concept, admittedly, though the gender roles are reversed. A plain woman (Abby) wants to date a handsome man whom she assumes would reject him due to her appearance, so she has a pretty friend (Noelle) take her place, and the story resolves as expected.

So how does this movie stand out? Abby is a radio host with a show about dealing with pets, and Noelle is an actress neighbor she meets by chance who has an abusive boyfriend. The man has fallen in love with Abby's radio voice and personality, but Abby is too afraid to meet him in person, though they are fine as long as they are only talking without him actually being able to see Abby. When the man meets Noelle, assuming she's Abby, he gets suspicious, but Abby is too afraid to reveal herself, and there are the expected complications from that.

Animals are used in the story, but fortunately not overused so that they drown out the human story. The three main characters interact convincingly, and the story doesn't fall into the trap of screwball farce when it easily could have. Also, profanity and sexuality are kept to a minimum. Recommended.

Thoroughly predictable but I did enjoy it

Author: preppy-3 from United States
4 July 2012

A radio DJ named Abby Barnes (Janeane Garofalo) conducts a live online show advising people about their pets. One day Brian (Ben Chaplin) calls for help. He gets it...but falls in love with her voice. He plans to meet her but she has low self-esteem so she gets her beautiful model neighbor (Uma Thurman) to pose as HER! Predictable complications follow and it leads to an insultingly stupid happy ending.

I should hate this movie a LOT! The plot is stupid--these people are total idiots! Thurman or Garofalo's characters could have said something and stopped it immediately...but then there would be no movie. The complications that come up preventing them get dumber and dumber. Also the ending would NEVER happen in real life. So why am I giving it 7 stars? The three leads. They're great! They're attractive, give good performances and seem totally at ease with it. Also the script (basic plot aside) is funny full of great one-liners that the cast goes into with ease (only Chaplin seems a little unsure). There's also a steamy phone sex scene that was pretty risqué for a PG-13 movie (but it leads to a great punch line at the end). So the movie is stupid and predictable but I did like it. I give it a 7.

Page 4 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]