IMDb > A Thin Line Between Love and Hate (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Thin Line Between Love and Hate

Comedy with a surprisingly evil and sinister twist.

Author: macnjnc from Cincinnati, Ohio
29 June 1999

A Thin Line Between Love And Hate is a very solid movie production job from Martin Lawrence. The film provides a nice mix of drama and comedy. The story line revolves around Darnell (Martin Lawrence) Brandi (Lynn Whitfield) and Mia (Regina King). Darnell is a ladies man who thinks he says all the right things to the ladies. He runs across Brandi and makes a bet with his buddy Tee (Bobby Brown) that he would have sex with her once he gets to know her. Eventually he gets his chance and hits paydirt with Brandi sexually. Brandi was hurt before by her cheating husband and holds brutal grudges for "womanizing" men (She killed her ex husband after finding him in bed with another women) As her relationship with Darnell develops she warns him that she is not the type of woman to be hurt and taken advantage of. The Producer does a good job of bringing along Darnel's rekindling relationship with ex flame Mia. Somehow you feel that Darnel and Mia's future relationship holds promise despite Darnel's flirtatious ways. Some of the things that happen to Darnel because of his womanizing ways you feel are justified but Brandi is out for serious revenge. Brandi inflicts injury to herself and convinces police that Darnel is the perpetrator, she leaves his Truck on bricks outside of a police station, she stops at nothing. Darnel calls off his relationship with Mia due to threats by Brandi that she would hurt Mia. Determined to settle the score once and for all he goes to Brandi beautiful estate overlooking the Pacific....

> Thin Line Between Love And Hate was much better than I thought it would be. The movie definitely is funny but also provides plenty of drama. Lynn Whitfield is ever convincing in her role as Brandi, her piercing eyes slamming a knife down wickedly into her birthday cake is a scene worth remembering. What adds greatly to the movie is the fact that everything is centered around a nightclub which adds a certain feel and environment. This is a movie that is better than you would think. A definite thumbs up 8/10 on the scale.

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
17 November 2005

In my opinion, A THIN LINE BETWEEN LOVE AND HATE is a hilarious, witty, sexy, suspenseful, and totally beautiful movie. It is also one of the best Martin Lawrence films I have ever seen. I thought that Martin (Lawrence) and Lynn (Whitfield) lit up the screen like magic! One of my favorite quotes of this movie is, "You put your hands on the wrong woman." That really made me feel good and smile. The part that really made me feel good and smile, though, was when Brandi (Lynn Whitfield) got even with Darnell (Martin Lawrence) at her home towards the end of the movie. Also, I thought that Erica (Malinda Williams) looked very beautiful in her prom dress, especially with the way she had her hair done. That sure brings back memories for me. In conclusion, to anyone who's a fan of Martin Lawrence, I recommend this movie. You're in for lots of laughs and thrills, so go to the video store, rent it or buy it, kick back with a friend, and watch it.

Author: FilmGirlGZ-3 (FilmGirlGZ@earthlink.net) from Vienna, Virginia, USA
21 July 2002

In my opinion, A THIN LINE BETWEEN LOVE AND HATE is a hilarious, witty, sexy, suspenseful, and totally beautiful movie. It is also one of the best Martin Lawrence films I have ever seen. I thought that Martin (Lawrence) and Lynn (Whitfield) lit up the screen like magic! One of my favorite quotes of this movie is, "You put your hands on the wrong woman." That really made me feel good and smile. The part that really made me feel good and smile, though, was when Brandi (Lynn Whitfield) got even with Darnell (Martin Lawrence) at her home towards the end of the movie. Also, I thought that Erica (Malinda Williams) looked very beautiful in her prom dress -- Especially with the way she had her hair done. That sure brings back memories for me. In conclusion, to anyone who's a fan of Martin Lawrence, I recommend this movie. You're in for lots of laughs and thrills, so, go to the video store, rent it or buy it, kick back with a friend, and watch it.

Author: Catherine Grace Zeh (FilmGirlGZ@aol.com) from Vienna, Virginia, USA
15 August 2001

In my opinion, A THIN LINE BETWEEN LOVE AND HATE is a hilarious, witty, sexy, suspenseful, and totally beautiful movie. It is also one of the best Martin Lawrence films I have ever seen. I thought that Martin (Lawrence) and Lynn (Whitfield) lit up the screen like magic! One of my favorite quotes of this movie is, "You put your hands on the wrong woman." That REALLY made me feel good and smile. But the part that REALLY made me feel good and smile was when Brandi (Lynn Whitfield) got even with Darnell (Martin Lawrence) at her home towards the end. Also, I thought that Erica (Malinda Williams) looked VERY beautiful in her prom dress -- Especially with the way she had her hair done. That sure brings back memories for me. In conclusion, to anyone who's a fan of Martin Lawrence, I recommend this movie. You're in for a LOT of laughs and thrills, so, go out there, rent it or buy it, kick back with a friend, and watch it.

The effects of being in love and dealing with heartbreak

Author: CynicalMentality from United States
8 August 2013

This is a great movie and it depicts reality quite accurately. A Thin Line Between Love & Hate deserves at least an 8 but seeing how it's an all African American cast, I guess it was rated accordingly. I do not believe a sequel would be in order for this movie. The sequel would be easily predetermined and not very mind bottling so the producers should leave it as is. I compare this movie to Obsessed starring Beyonce Knowles which was a mediocre movie. A Thin Line Between Love & Hate demonstrates how the effects of love can cause one to do crazy and outlandish things to mend a broken heart. The cast were extraordinary and very realistic despite the fact that the movie is seriously underrated and not many people know about it. I suggest viewers give this movie a chance with a clear head and without a predisposition view about any of the characters

Thin Line Between Love and Hate, A ('96)

Author: Buggieblade from Westbury, NY
28 March 2004

A Thin Line Between Love and Hate is a comedy/drama that revolves around a "player" played by Martin Lawrence who is looking for a special woman to call his own. During his search, he gets involve with a young lady who gives him more than he can bargain for (played by the very voluptuous Whitfield). The acting is sub-par but the story brings a very good twist on an over-told story. This film reminds me of "Fatal Attraction" in many ways.

It is a decent film that is slept on because of the acting. I have "Thin Line" in my collection and rated it a 7/10. Pretty good if you're not expecting Oscar caliber performances and A-level talent. A pretty good pick up if it is on sale.

Peace... Buggieblade

This movie is about a woman who's heart broken by a man who harasses her into seeing him. The woman tries to kill the man and gets caught

Author: royalsweetnez1424 from United States Virgin Islands
27 November 2005

A THIN LINE BETWEEN LOVE AND HATE is a movie that'll never make a person want to lie to someone again. This movie made me express every emotion that a person could show except crying.I loved the cast and the characters that they played and I also think that they should consider making a part 2 to this movie. My favorite cast member was Lynn Whitfield because of how strongly she played the character "Brandi Web". Martin Lawrence Did an Awesome Job Being "Darnel Write," He was the Martin Lawrence that everyone knows and loves.Bobby Brown,Regina King and all the other cast members also did a great job to make this movie what it is.

Why do some men act like dogs when they see something they want?

Author: tingiemang from Netherlands
26 December 2004

You don't have to like Martin Lawrence to let this movie have an impact on you. i know it's a comedy but when i turned off my DVD player i made me think of when i was wild and stupid. I'd do anything to get a girl i liked into my bed. I even used those forbidden 3 words. They are like a magic key, effective for instant access but oh so dangerous. Fatal attraction and Boomerang came into my mind when i saw this movie. Martin Lawrence acts like he usually does and Lynn Whitfield was great. I actually believe he's like that in real life too.

Others have commented on the realism of having a woman like Whitfield going with a smooth low life like the character displayed by Martin. but i think these people don't know the first thing about "hitting" on girls. (excuse the term). Guys that try first and persevere usually get their women. I you have'n seen it, enjoy the movie. I did.

An interesting "role reversal" stalker film

Author: Darkfalz from Australia
18 January 2004

For some reason I love watching movies about psycho women. On one condition, of course, and that's that they get their just desserts at the end. Hollywood has this nasty, irresponsible habit of trying to justify it when a woman murders (or attacks) a man, sometimes even encouraging them to take the law into their own hands.

It's interesting to note that many, many films have been made with more or less the reverse, an obsessive ex-boyfriend who stalks and threatens his girlfriend. And in most of those movies, the guy ends up dead for his trouble.

*** SPOILERS ***

Now here we have the reverse, a girl who admittedly, was treated badly, and goes after Martin Lawrence for revenge. And the psycho stalker fun ensues. It's worth noting that women beatings themselves up so they can report the guy to the cops for abuse is a common practice (like false rape accusing), and more alarmingly, it's often used as a prelude to staging his murder and claiming self defense. God knows how many of these women got the idea from a movie. I laughed when she captures him and makes this long speech about how insensitive and dog like men are, and how she wasn't going to take it anymore on behalf of "all women". Because of course, women never cheat or treat men badly, do they? Hah! It's worth noting that it's women who pick these guys over the millions of nice guys out there, and then complain when things don't go as they'd hoped. To me, it's kinda like intentionally taking up smoking just so you can whine about how hard it is to quit.

Anyway, I got off track there. He gets rescued and thankfully, the end does give some closure showing mug shots of her, so she at least went to prison. She admits she killed her ex-husband when she found him cheating, so she's guilty of murder and attempted murder. Still, she didn't die like a male version of her character would have, and Martin Lawrence shows remorse for what he did like no female "victim" would ever do, so the role reversal was a little tainted. Obviously to make female viewers feel her actions were justified.

*** END SPOILERS ***

All the same it was a moderately enjoyable film and Lawrence had his funny moments in it.

A great mixure of Comedy, Drama, and Romance

Author: joendavid from United States
8 May 2003

I think this movie is great. This shows that Martin Lawrence can make in thing funny. I liked this movie, and I recommend this movie to any Martin Lawrence fan, and if not a fan go see this movie and you will be. I give this movie an 8/10.