IMDb > That Thing You Do! (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
That Thing You Do!

That Thing You Do! More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 21: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Fantasitic, feel for the characters,

Author: timelordess from United Kingdom
19 August 2006

If ever a film makes you feel for each and every character, it's this film. when they feel great, I did, when things were bad, I was upset for them. I don't get attached to films!! AT ALL! I loved this film so much, I've gonna and got the soundtrack, just so I can hear That Thing You Do all the time. Tom Hanks - as usual a superb performance, and seeing as he did everything else as well, fantastic!! I can honestly say I have never actually watched a film that I really do want to watch again and again, and I intend to as well. The script is perfect for the time, the acting is no where near as wooden as it would have been if filmed then and the actors are that good, you can actually believe that they are a band, and would buy their records. At least, I would if I could!!

Wonderful

Author: Makenze from United States
7 August 2006

One of the best movies I have ever seen. If I had the time I would watch it every day. Tom Hanks is EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tom Everet Scott at his best work yet!!!! Liv Tyler is absolutely amazing, even though the film is about the band she just steals every scene that she is in, especially the dramatic ones. It is a great family movie, I watch it with my family all of the time. Wonderful writing, beautifully done. All I can say that it is one of my favorite movies of all times. Absolutely brilliant. Very surprising ending, but at the same time it was something I should have been expecting. Two of the main characters end up (for different reasons) being without their significant others and slowly fall in love. Even though the band breaks up, you are not so disappointed by the end because of the love story. The soundtrack is probably the best part of the entire movie. All of the music is absolutely excellent, I am not very old, so I don't know if any of the bands and groups are real, but the music is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need the O-needers

Author: Dani from Canada
2 August 2006

The O-Needers rock my world. LOL, OK so it's the One-ders, I get it now. OK, this movie takes place in the 1960s, when a lot of young guys started to create rock bands, i.e. Jim Morrison and John Fogerty. Unfortuneatly unlike Morrison and Fogerty the One-ders only had a one-hit song. That doesn't really matter though does it, because the song is really great, it was actually written by Tom Hanks, and it's played by the 4 gentlemen in the band. The song is called, "That Thing You Do", hence the movies title, and it's a really great song, nicely recorded and it's a catchy tune.

OK, so 4 guys get together in there garage and write this song, and they at a talent show and decide to start a record, which turns out to be a mega-hit, so they get a manager who gets them a couple gigs, and eventually Tom Hanks comes along and discovers that he can do more for the band than there previous manager, which he eventually does. However like all great bands from the 60s they have their rise and unfortunate fall. This movie explores that, and it does so in a great story.

I gave this movie 10 out of a possible 10, because it's a great movie, filled with great characters, a terrific story and a catchy soundtrack. It's got tons of lines mostly that come from Zahn. If your like me and you love rock and roll bands, this is a great story, I love it, it's one of my favourites!

Captures the moment, the place, the dream

Author: Dustweek from Japan
4 May 2006

"That Thing You Do" revives the dream we all had, back when we were in our late teens, of being the next John Lennon - or maybe Ringo.

This is a masterfully crafted movie. Watch how the jaded, fading "Diane Dane" adjusts to her post-stardom decline at the Wisconsin State Fair.

Or how the slicked-back star Freddie Fredrickson remembers to call out "Hello Wisconsin!"

Or the sense and feel of working at dad's appliance store back in the mid '60s.

The movie has a genuine warmth and reality.

If you love 60's rock, or are nostalgic for your youth, check out this Tom Hanks directed/written film. Tom Hanks is a huge hit because he exudes a charm, a genuineness, that cannot be faked. All that charm comes full force in this film.

Really A Good Movie

Author: ssweeps from United States
15 April 2006

This movie was filmed in the city of Orange, CA where I used to live. There is still an Army-Navy store on Glassell St. and it was in the movie. I really liked the music, and heard that the band members practiced 8 hours a day for 6 weeks to learn how to play their instruments. The man who played Lamar the concierge really did an excellent job, and made things more believable. I have seen this movie at least 15 times and enjoy it every time it is on TV. The music is top-notch, the story is very good and the plot keeps me watching the whole movie without getting bored. Any struggling musician can appreciate this movie for what band members go through trying to make it in the music business. Tom Hanks is pure genius, and his wife is in the movie too as a club waitress. Highly recommended! There are some major Hollywood stars in it, even though their parts are rather small. 2 thumbs up for me, way up!

Top Notch

Author: Brutalfan from USA
29 January 2006

This movie is the greatest. I saw it several years ago, but just recently purchased it (as well as the kickin' soundtrack) and have fallen in love. Mr. Tom Hanks is absolutely brilliant. He is so fresh in his writing and story line. I couldn't ask for much more in a movie.

The only reason I gave it a 9 instead of a 10, was because when I watched the featurette, I saw so much more to this movie that had been cut out. I wish it had all been left in. Even in the theatrical preview, there is a scene where Lenny and his gal pal are eating spaghetti together and that is nowhere to be found in the movie. Also, why doesn't T. B. Player have a name? The music is awesome, and Mr. Hanks couldn't have chosen better people to play the parts. WAY TO GO ON THIS ONE!!!

An underrated 'Wonder'ful movie!

Author: blackcarlover from Belfast, Norn Ireland
26 January 2006

This movie is a great feel-good one, even thou its about a journey with ups and downs.

First of all, I think the entire cast were perfect, from Guy's father right down to Lemarr, everyone had character that you could immediately feel. Every scene from when the story begins is easy flowing and just about detailed. This movie may be a 'back-of-the-shop' job, but is worth it.

Moving on with main characters, I actually loved how Guy confidently changed their lives for the first time at the school-show, the nerves of the other band members trying to deal with the sudden of it. From that night, their lives change completely….and through the journey we have Jimmy's stubbornness, Lenny's cringe-worthy humour, TB Player's quirkiness, Guy's young innocent fun charm, and of course, Faye, who is like a '5th' member of the band, and her story unfolds itself from the beginning. Every character's individuality makes for clashing and bonding.

Of course its great that Tom Hanks played a role in this, some parts he lends his fast humour and it works.

I liked how this story goes, I really do, and I applaud Hanks for making a small-time movie so well. I would recommend you rent this, if you like sweet movies with good simple-telling storyline. It should leave you smiling! :) I rate this 9 out of 10.

An entertaining film from hanks

Author: PersianPlaya408 from Milpitas, California
9 January 2006

Tom Hanks film about a fictional pop/rock doo wop type band in 1964 is entertaining and has some good messages about entertainment industry. I liked the direction from Hanks, simple yet always interesting, i think he can be a good director one day. The screenplay is good for this project as it fits the themes of the film perfectly. The acting is not the greatest with somewhat lackluster performances from Jonathan Shaech and Liv Tyler who wasn't her best here although was charming as usual. I was impressed with Tom Everett Scott in the lead role and also Ethan Embry was impressive as the bass player. I also loved Steve Zahn who was hilarious as usual in his role. Tom hanks also stepped in for a good supporting performance as the groups manager. The film is entertaining and very well done as a whole. 9/10

this movie is THE best!

Author: drum_chick from United States
11 December 2005

this movie is SO great! it's incredible! definitely on my top 10 list!! i absolutely love it!! for reals!! there is NO possible way that you can NOT like this movie...unless you're stupid! The actors are great! the whole like story line of the movie is amazing! THe way everything goes makes you happy and want to sing along with the wonders and then you want to cry because of what happened but then at the end you're like yess!!! that's what should happen! it is a great movie to watch with friends or family or if you're having like a movie night or something. My 7 yr old sister likes it and all the way up to my parents like it. SO i would rate it 10 out of 10 stars!

Excellent film that lifts you up and makes you want more!

Author: midipro from United States
19 August 2005

That Thing You Do was a total enjoyment. I think that it should be a template to what all movies should be about. Positive entertainment is what I'm talking about. Not something that leaves you with a dead & burned out feeling but with a positive uplifting experience. With the exception of a couple of choice words, this movie would have been near perfect. Once you see it you will want to see it again and again. It's extremely entertaining with a magical quality that makes you hunger for more. Mr. Hanks should quite proud of all of his work in this film. He has accomplished many times over what many fail to do. Speaking from real world experience as a musician that almost made it, I can say that this movie is right on the mark of realism. All of the cast did an excellent job of making this film very believable. That thing you do could have have truly been right out of the annals of our history. If you want good clean entertainment and an evening of captivating fun then by all means watch this movie. You'll be very glad you did.

William Gilmore Pensacola FL