IMDb > That Thing You Do! (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
That Thing You Do!

That Thing You Do! More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 21: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Great Movie if you are a musician, like myself.

Author: Zach Kucala (zach@kucalafamily.net) from Georgia
7 January 2007

This movie was very heartwarming, funny, energetic, musically non stop! The actor that played the drummer for The Wonders was awesome! He actually knew how to play. This movie was fun. Tom Hanks at his best, (Forrest Gump, The Green Mile, BIG.) Great fun. I loved the theme song so much, I got on Itunes and downloaded New Found Glory's version of the theme song, That Thing You Do! It's an awesome song, and movie. See this, if you just want to have fun. The acting was wonderful, the lead singer I thought, looked a bit like the lead singer for The All-American Rejects. The drummer kind of reminded me of Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, and Spider-Man 3 actor Tobey Maguire, physical resemblance. (Spoiler) The band originally has their named spelled, The Oneders, people in the film have in mistaken for the Oneeders, so they changed it to The Wonders, thanks to Tom Hanks character, who is their second manager.

Very clever, an original idea

Author: Drumski89 from United States
3 December 2006

Every actor in this movie does a spectacular job. You're immersed in their world immediately, and at no time do you want to leave. All of the songs are good, and the soundtrack was worth buying too. Tom Hanks does a good performance, and I thought it was pretty cool that the actors actually learned how to play their instruments in this movie, and you can tell during theperformance scenes. The humorous parts were actually funny, and thesomber parts were realistic. The characters were original and memorable, especially Mr. White, played by Tom Hanks. The song "That Thing You Do!" is a great song, it has a very Beatles feel to it, as does the entire movie; it conjures up images of the Beatles' movie "Help". It's a shame it isn't recognized by the general public, but overall, a great movie.

An absolute must for any fans of American nostalgia cinema

Author: across_th_street from UK
28 November 2006

An absolute must for any fans of American nostalgia cinema. Tom Hanks evokes a fantastic impression of the sixties with his Beatlesque band. Their catchy title tune (the highlight of a delightfully cheesy yet cheery soundtrack) launches them to super stardom for 15 minutes of fame. A clever and insightful look at the music industry, cynical even in the sixties!

A wonderful film, light and humorous yet with enough depth to give the film feeling. Some great casting livens up the film, Tom Everett Scott really was a young Tom Hanks, and Johnathan Shaech is capable as the prima donna 'artiste.' Steve Zahn provides his usual comedic relief and Liv Tyler is pretty good as the girl behind the new found stars. Tom Hanks himself is good as the wise old man of the music industry.

Barely anything to dislike, there are the odd scenes where Liv is given some overly sentimental lines and the dialogue is a bit loose in places but overall it is a superb piece of light cinema with a great sense of nostalgia.

A kick to watch, sing along with, and dance with

Author: peace9-1 from upstate New York
24 September 2006

This isn't a movie that should make a deep, lasting impression on anyone -- it's just not that kind of movie. It is the kind of movie you can watch more than once just to enjoy the music. (I wore out two soundtrack tapes playing it in my car!) Okay, so it's a frothy little movie. Frothy can be good -- dessert has it's place on the menu! And for those of us who played in some version of a garage band in our teens, it's a chance to see how our wildest dreams might have come true.

And it's always a kick in Tom Hanks' movies to see familiar faces pop up. Steve Zahn, who plays Lenny in this movie, also shows up in "You've Got Mail" and "From The Earth To The Moon." Peter Scolari, of course, was Mr. Hanks' costar on "Bosom Buddies."

Mr. Hanks is a keen observer of people. I've known more than one musician who put all his emotions into his music, leaving little or none for the people in his life -- in this movie, it's Jimmy. I've known guys who are so self-absorbed that they don't realize that women are drawn to them and then brushed away -- Guy ignores his girlfriend's chatter in his own excitement, and later, as a waitress tells him her life story, he's obviously just waiting for her to stop talking.

And I've been the girl ready to follow her musician anywhere, singing along with every note he sings. Poor Fay -- she really thought Jimmy loved her.

It's interesting that Guy and Fay end up together -- for the first time in the movie, he's actually listening to what a woman is saying to him. And from the "follow-up" at the end of the movie, they apparently have a good life together, so maybe he just needed to have the right woman talking to him.

But all these observations are so neatly written that you don't feel like you're taking a course in character analysis -- they just make the movie that much more interesting to watch.

Fantasitic, feel for the characters,

Author: timelordess from United Kingdom
19 August 2006

If ever a film makes you feel for each and every character, it's this film. when they feel great, I did, when things were bad, I was upset for them. I don't get attached to films!! AT ALL! I loved this film so much, I've gonna and got the soundtrack, just so I can hear That Thing You Do all the time. Tom Hanks - as usual a superb performance, and seeing as he did everything else as well, fantastic!! I can honestly say I have never actually watched a film that I really do want to watch again and again, and I intend to as well. The script is perfect for the time, the acting is no where near as wooden as it would have been if filmed then and the actors are that good, you can actually believe that they are a band, and would buy their records. At least, I would if I could!!

Wonderful

Author: Makenze from United States
7 August 2006

One of the best movies I have ever seen. If I had the time I would watch it every day. Tom Hanks is EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tom Everet Scott at his best work yet!!!! Liv Tyler is absolutely amazing, even though the film is about the band she just steals every scene that she is in, especially the dramatic ones. It is a great family movie, I watch it with my family all of the time. Wonderful writing, beautifully done. All I can say that it is one of my favorite movies of all times. Absolutely brilliant. Very surprising ending, but at the same time it was something I should have been expecting. Two of the main characters end up (for different reasons) being without their significant others and slowly fall in love. Even though the band breaks up, you are not so disappointed by the end because of the love story. The soundtrack is probably the best part of the entire movie. All of the music is absolutely excellent, I am not very old, so I don't know if any of the bands and groups are real, but the music is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need the O-needers

Author: Dani from Canada
2 August 2006

The O-Needers rock my world. LOL, OK so it's the One-ders, I get it now. OK, this movie takes place in the 1960s, when a lot of young guys started to create rock bands, i.e. Jim Morrison and John Fogerty. Unfortuneatly unlike Morrison and Fogerty the One-ders only had a one-hit song. That doesn't really matter though does it, because the song is really great, it was actually written by Tom Hanks, and it's played by the 4 gentlemen in the band. The song is called, "That Thing You Do", hence the movies title, and it's a really great song, nicely recorded and it's a catchy tune.

OK, so 4 guys get together in there garage and write this song, and they at a talent show and decide to start a record, which turns out to be a mega-hit, so they get a manager who gets them a couple gigs, and eventually Tom Hanks comes along and discovers that he can do more for the band than there previous manager, which he eventually does. However like all great bands from the 60s they have their rise and unfortunate fall. This movie explores that, and it does so in a great story.

I gave this movie 10 out of a possible 10, because it's a great movie, filled with great characters, a terrific story and a catchy soundtrack. It's got tons of lines mostly that come from Zahn. If your like me and you love rock and roll bands, this is a great story, I love it, it's one of my favourites!

Captures the moment, the place, the dream

Author: Dustweek from Japan
4 May 2006

"That Thing You Do" revives the dream we all had, back when we were in our late teens, of being the next John Lennon - or maybe Ringo.

This is a masterfully crafted movie. Watch how the jaded, fading "Diane Dane" adjusts to her post-stardom decline at the Wisconsin State Fair.

Or how the slicked-back star Freddie Fredrickson remembers to call out "Hello Wisconsin!"

Or the sense and feel of working at dad's appliance store back in the mid '60s.

The movie has a genuine warmth and reality.

If you love 60's rock, or are nostalgic for your youth, check out this Tom Hanks directed/written film. Tom Hanks is a huge hit because he exudes a charm, a genuineness, that cannot be faked. All that charm comes full force in this film.

Really A Good Movie

Author: ssweeps from United States
15 April 2006

This movie was filmed in the city of Orange, CA where I used to live. There is still an Army-Navy store on Glassell St. and it was in the movie. I really liked the music, and heard that the band members practiced 8 hours a day for 6 weeks to learn how to play their instruments. The man who played Lamar the concierge really did an excellent job, and made things more believable. I have seen this movie at least 15 times and enjoy it every time it is on TV. The music is top-notch, the story is very good and the plot keeps me watching the whole movie without getting bored. Any struggling musician can appreciate this movie for what band members go through trying to make it in the music business. Tom Hanks is pure genius, and his wife is in the movie too as a club waitress. Highly recommended! There are some major Hollywood stars in it, even though their parts are rather small. 2 thumbs up for me, way up!

Top Notch

Author: Brutalfan from USA
29 January 2006

This movie is the greatest. I saw it several years ago, but just recently purchased it (as well as the kickin' soundtrack) and have fallen in love. Mr. Tom Hanks is absolutely brilliant. He is so fresh in his writing and story line. I couldn't ask for much more in a movie.

The only reason I gave it a 9 instead of a 10, was because when I watched the featurette, I saw so much more to this movie that had been cut out. I wish it had all been left in. Even in the theatrical preview, there is a scene where Lenny and his gal pal are eating spaghetti together and that is nowhere to be found in the movie. Also, why doesn't T. B. Player have a name? The music is awesome, and Mr. Hanks couldn't have chosen better people to play the parts. WAY TO GO ON THIS ONE!!!