IMDb > That Thing You Do! (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
That Thing You Do!

That Thing You Do! More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 21: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Marvelously entertaining!

Author: TrueTenorOne from United States
13 June 2007

Tom Hanks got his early start in television, entertaining audiences in the "classic" sitcom "Bosom Buddies". He then moved to the big screen, nabbing an Oscar nod for his role in "Big" and becoming only the 2nd actor in history to win back-to-back Best Actor Oscars for his roles in "Philadelphia" and "Forrest Gump". There are very few people who can succeed in acting on television, acting in movies, and making movies.

I am glad to say that Tom Hanks is one of them.

In his first attempt at directing a movie, Hanks brings us a flat-out fun story of a small rock group who climb the charts of success, only to fall flat just as quick as they rose. The movie has everything: the comedic timing of lines delivered by Steve Zahn and Hanks himself make us laugh without entirely turning the movie into a silly comedy. There are dramatic moments with Johnathon Schaech's character without turning the movie into a drama, and there is music galore without turning the movie into a musical. Everything is wonderfully balanced, not one element overpowers the other, and it comes across as an entertaining film.

With a movie like this, certain elements need to be executed perfectly in order for it to work. When you make a movie that follows the experiences of a group of teenagers, you need to be able to like the characters. I don't know if you'll find a much more likable character than Guy Patterson, an easy-going jazz lover who stumbles into the band by accident, then drives their climb to success with a simple change of tempo. You need to make it fun without being cliché, so keeping the band from reaching #1 on the charts is a smart move. And with any movie with a song as the centerpiece, you need to like the song. "That Thing You Do!" could be one of the catchiest songs to come out of any movie in recent memory, and the other songs that you hear over the course of the movie are entertaining, as well. When you can combine the star power of Tom Hanks and Liv Tyler with the music, magic, and sheer entertainment of this movie, you can't possibly go wrong. 9/10

That Thing You Do

Author: 8paulamae from United States
2 February 2007

This is one of my favorite movies..... When I need to feel good, I put this on.... Yes, you hear the song A lot.......But Steve Vaughn is SOOO great in this film... from"Where was I, Oh yea, playing music on my guitar"..... To " I'm just entering my pig in the livestock competition " Steve, if you need to laugh, I owe you a couple.....This is a great feel good movie, NOT A CHICK FLICK< GUYS!!! Just makes me laugh,and feel good....Tom E. Scott is adorable as "Shades", Met you briefly when you were in Stockton, filming Dead Man On Campus... Anyway, I would recommend this movie to anyone who grew up in the 60's or 70's. it's a great feel good movie... Thank you Mr. Hanks......... Paula

An Impressive Directorial Debut for Tom Hanks

Author: Isaac5855 from United States
1 February 2007

THAT THING YOU DO! was a warm and affectionate valentine to the world of pop music in the 1960's which marked the directorial debut of two-time Oscar winner Tom Hanks. Hanks lovingly examines a phenomenon that was practically an epidemic in the music world in the 60's...the "One-Hit Wonder." This film is the story of a garage band in a small town who call themselves The Oneders who have perfected a nice little ballad called "That thing you do." The night they perform the song publicly for the first time, the drummer doubles the tempo and, as an up tune, the song is a smash. They record it and it even gets radio play. The group then meets a Mr. White (Hanks), who agrees to manage the group and get them national exposure. He changes their name to The Wonders because they keep getting introduced as "The Oneeders" and books them on tours of state fairs and even gets them on TV and in a beach party movie, all on the strength of this one song, but when the group pressures White to make another record, that's where the problems begin. This movie accurately portrays the way a musical act in the 60's was able to catapult to stardom on the strength of one record and then disappear forever. The film is beautifully mounted, with imaginative direction by Hanks and Oscar-worthy art and costume design. Tom Everett Scott lights up the screen as Guy, the drummer whose change of tempo changes the lives of the group forever. The film also features impressive turns by Jonathan Schaech as the arrogant lead singer, Steve Zahn as the fun-loving empty-headed guitarist and Liv Tyler as Schaech's girlfriend. Take note of my favorite scene in the film where the members of the group hear their song on the radio for the very first time...the joy depicted here is infectious as is this film, which proved to be an impressive directorial debut for Tom Hanks.

an oddball picture that hooks me every time

Author: jai-38 from Canada
24 January 2007

Tom Hanks put a lot into this smart and funny off-beat picture (it's almost the cinematic equivalent of his persona when you see him interviewed on Letterman -- maybe it's that personally felt) which depicts the-rise-and-that's-all history of a one hit wonder band in the just post- British invasion '60s. It's hip and square at the same time and that damn song, played again and again in pleasing variations, is exactly right. The casting of the band mates, notably Jonathan Schaech (a wannabe Lennon or Dylan), Steve Zahn (a Ringo kind of goof) and Tom Everret Scott, a young Hanks lookalike, who has artistic jazz-minded desires, make for an ensemble that is heartfelt, real and friendly-- oh, and Ethan Embry plays the bass player. Hanks himself gives one of his best, and most understated, performances as the band's big-time producer/Svengali and Liv Tyler is the lead singer's perfect girlfriend, Faye -- "Well, Faye's special", says Hanks himself at one point and we know, any one who's been around a rock'n'roll band knows, he's right. Light, airy, kind of weird -- all the terrific (as well as the terrifically awful music -- "Lovin' You Lots and Lots" by the Norm Wooster Singers) is original to the film -- "That Thing...", even as it falters a little in its final third, makes you happy to watch a movie that its players and its makers are more than giddy to present.

Great Movie if you are a musician, like myself.

Author: Zach Kucala (zach@kucalafamily.net) from Georgia
7 January 2007

This movie was very heartwarming, funny, energetic, musically non stop! The actor that played the drummer for The Wonders was awesome! He actually knew how to play. This movie was fun. Tom Hanks at his best, (Forrest Gump, The Green Mile, BIG.) Great fun. I loved the theme song so much, I got on Itunes and downloaded New Found Glory's version of the theme song, That Thing You Do! It's an awesome song, and movie. See this, if you just want to have fun. The acting was wonderful, the lead singer I thought, looked a bit like the lead singer for The All-American Rejects. The drummer kind of reminded me of Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, and Spider-Man 3 actor Tobey Maguire, physical resemblance. (Spoiler) The band originally has their named spelled, The Oneders, people in the film have in mistaken for the Oneeders, so they changed it to The Wonders, thanks to Tom Hanks character, who is their second manager.

Very clever, an original idea

Author: Drumski89 from United States
3 December 2006

Every actor in this movie does a spectacular job. You're immersed in their world immediately, and at no time do you want to leave. All of the songs are good, and the soundtrack was worth buying too. Tom Hanks does a good performance, and I thought it was pretty cool that the actors actually learned how to play their instruments in this movie, and you can tell during theperformance scenes. The humorous parts were actually funny, and thesomber parts were realistic. The characters were original and memorable, especially Mr. White, played by Tom Hanks. The song "That Thing You Do!" is a great song, it has a very Beatles feel to it, as does the entire movie; it conjures up images of the Beatles' movie "Help". It's a shame it isn't recognized by the general public, but overall, a great movie.

An absolute must for any fans of American nostalgia cinema

Author: across_th_street from UK
28 November 2006

An absolute must for any fans of American nostalgia cinema. Tom Hanks evokes a fantastic impression of the sixties with his Beatlesque band. Their catchy title tune (the highlight of a delightfully cheesy yet cheery soundtrack) launches them to super stardom for 15 minutes of fame. A clever and insightful look at the music industry, cynical even in the sixties!

A wonderful film, light and humorous yet with enough depth to give the film feeling. Some great casting livens up the film, Tom Everett Scott really was a young Tom Hanks, and Johnathan Shaech is capable as the prima donna 'artiste.' Steve Zahn provides his usual comedic relief and Liv Tyler is pretty good as the girl behind the new found stars. Tom Hanks himself is good as the wise old man of the music industry.

Barely anything to dislike, there are the odd scenes where Liv is given some overly sentimental lines and the dialogue is a bit loose in places but overall it is a superb piece of light cinema with a great sense of nostalgia.

A kick to watch, sing along with, and dance with

Author: peace9-1 from upstate New York
24 September 2006

This isn't a movie that should make a deep, lasting impression on anyone -- it's just not that kind of movie. It is the kind of movie you can watch more than once just to enjoy the music. (I wore out two soundtrack tapes playing it in my car!) Okay, so it's a frothy little movie. Frothy can be good -- dessert has it's place on the menu! And for those of us who played in some version of a garage band in our teens, it's a chance to see how our wildest dreams might have come true.

And it's always a kick in Tom Hanks' movies to see familiar faces pop up. Steve Zahn, who plays Lenny in this movie, also shows up in "You've Got Mail" and "From The Earth To The Moon." Peter Scolari, of course, was Mr. Hanks' costar on "Bosom Buddies."

Mr. Hanks is a keen observer of people. I've known more than one musician who put all his emotions into his music, leaving little or none for the people in his life -- in this movie, it's Jimmy. I've known guys who are so self-absorbed that they don't realize that women are drawn to them and then brushed away -- Guy ignores his girlfriend's chatter in his own excitement, and later, as a waitress tells him her life story, he's obviously just waiting for her to stop talking.

And I've been the girl ready to follow her musician anywhere, singing along with every note he sings. Poor Fay -- she really thought Jimmy loved her.

It's interesting that Guy and Fay end up together -- for the first time in the movie, he's actually listening to what a woman is saying to him. And from the "follow-up" at the end of the movie, they apparently have a good life together, so maybe he just needed to have the right woman talking to him.

But all these observations are so neatly written that you don't feel like you're taking a course in character analysis -- they just make the movie that much more interesting to watch.

Fantasitic, feel for the characters,

Author: timelordess from United Kingdom
19 August 2006

If ever a film makes you feel for each and every character, it's this film. when they feel great, I did, when things were bad, I was upset for them. I don't get attached to films!! AT ALL! I loved this film so much, I've gonna and got the soundtrack, just so I can hear That Thing You Do all the time. Tom Hanks - as usual a superb performance, and seeing as he did everything else as well, fantastic!! I can honestly say I have never actually watched a film that I really do want to watch again and again, and I intend to as well. The script is perfect for the time, the acting is no where near as wooden as it would have been if filmed then and the actors are that good, you can actually believe that they are a band, and would buy their records. At least, I would if I could!!

Wonderful

Author: Makenze from United States
7 August 2006

One of the best movies I have ever seen. If I had the time I would watch it every day. Tom Hanks is EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tom Everet Scott at his best work yet!!!! Liv Tyler is absolutely amazing, even though the film is about the band she just steals every scene that she is in, especially the dramatic ones. It is a great family movie, I watch it with my family all of the time. Wonderful writing, beautifully done. All I can say that it is one of my favorite movies of all times. Absolutely brilliant. Very surprising ending, but at the same time it was something I should have been expecting. Two of the main characters end up (for different reasons) being without their significant others and slowly fall in love. Even though the band breaks up, you are not so disappointed by the end because of the love story. The soundtrack is probably the best part of the entire movie. All of the music is absolutely excellent, I am not very old, so I don't know if any of the bands and groups are real, but the music is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!