IMDb > That Thing You Do! (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
That Thing You Do!

That Thing You Do! More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

I don't want to gush but...

Author: Blair Campbell from Perth, Australia
10 January 1999

This is really a great movie, no question. I rarely watch a film that is so skilfully crafted and yet is completely inoffensive to any segment of society. The movie combines comedy (and some parts are definitely funny) with romance in a tender-hearted tale of friendship and growing up. I simply cannot recommend this movie highly enough except to say that this is a film I could watch multiple times. Brilliantly acted by a still maturing cast ensemble, witty dialogue, it's got it all. If you want to see something that with touch you and give you a buzz but you don't want to be assailed by profanity, violence, or sexuality - That Thing You Do! is the movie for you. Another Hanks triumph, not just for his role in the movie but for putting it all together. 8/10

I love that thing you do!

Author: hollym20 from Birmingham, AL
23 December 1998

This movie is one of my all-time favorites. It's a feel- good movie that can raise my spirits anytime I am feeling down. I think that Tom Hanks must be one of the most brilliant people on this planet, because he can not only touch our hearts time and time again, winning two Oscars back-to-back, but can produce, direct, and star in this movie as well. The story may seem somewhat cheesy, but it moves right along as the band becomes an overnight sensation. The developing of a friendship between Guy and Fae, leaves you wanting them to be together at the end. I watched this movie over and over and it still makes me laugh every time I see it. For those who've never experienced it, WATCH IT!

Why I like the movie.

Author: Stephen Jennings from Marietta, GA
2 December 1998

Great movie with accurate musical displays. I like the movie very much, and enjoyed seeing it. As a guitarist in a band, I really connected with the story line. "Two Thumbs Up!"

A "root for the underdog" winner

Author: awgie from Arizona, USA
7 November 1998

The hook to this Movie is being able to relate to the characters in the movie...I know these guys but by different names... With HBO showing That Thing You Do this month I have been fortunate to see it again and again.. It's truly a feel good movie and one that the family can sit around and watch together...(Thanks Tom Hanks...not enough of these type movies to go around these days)

Extended version

Author: cmf2377 from United States
22 January 2009

I originally saw this movie in the theater and several time since on cable TV. All version seemed the same, the other night I saw the extended version on cable TV and was surprised about what scenes were cut out. The extended version definitely moved slower but provided additional content explaining moments in the film that I used to brush over...most importantly the hinting at the fact that Mr. White, played by Tom Hanks was gay. In the extended version he meets Guy Patterson at the hotel after he got drunk meeting Del Paxton at the Jazz Club.

He then leaves the hotel and gets into a car with a man who appears to be pouting and angry that Mr. White is taking so long. They have this caddy exchange about being late to a party. This is the only scene in the entire movie that makes any insinuation that Mr. White is gay.

I don't think that fact adds or detracts anything from the movie, just curious to know why it was left out.

Easy to watch but definitely heavy on the sentimentality

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
29 April 2005

Tom Hanks directed this film and that was probably the only reason I felt any urge to see it when it was released in 1996. To this day I don't believe Tom Hanks is the next Martin Scorsese, but to be fair he does an apt job here and his cheesy, breezy vibe that he lends to the film suits it very well.

Essentially a story about a small-town Pennsylvanian band in 1964 who hit it big after one of the members is replaced, and their manager turns out to be Tom Hanks (gasp!).

"Almost Famous" is a far superior examination of a rock band's ups and downs but this is alright as far as Friday night entertainment goes.

This movie is not the best but it is easy to watch and will deliver exactly what the people who watch it expect: a few laughs, a few smiles, some likable characters and a happy ending.

Thinly-veiled but fun homage to the Fab Four.

Author: dhallen from Rochester, MN
26 June 2004

The music alone is reason enough to watch (and re-watch) this movie. Beatles fans will enjoy the many allusions and parallels to the early days of the Fab Four. These include: 1) the One-ders first producer was an uncle whose experience is limited to recording church choirs -- Sir George Martin's forte was comedy before he began producing for the Beatles; 2) Tom Hanks, as the group's manager, stands off to the side wearing sunglasses, exactly like Brian Epstein can be seen doing in concert footage of the Beatles; 3) the group struggles with a name, as did the Quarreymen/Moondogs/Silver Beatles/Beatles; 4) the drummer's name is never revealed, a nod to Ringo Starr/Richard Starkey -- the luckiest drummer in Liverpool. There are many more....

That Thing You Do!

Author: Tim Cox from Marietta, OH
1 July 1999

Pleasant rock comedy written and directed (and co-starring) Hanks about a 60's rock band's meteoric rise and fall. Well acted and paced with charming performances from Scott and Tyler.

Captures feel and experience of early rock industry with great story

Author: da6133011378 from LI NY
20 December 2014

I don't know why the critics were so harsh on this movie. I thought it was great. Without being specific to any one band, it tells the story of so many bands from the 1950's-1960's.

This is the only movie I can recall that tells the story of how a local garage band becomes a one-hit-wonder, and how they move from local radio to #1 in the country, to oblivion - in a matter of (what seems like) weeks.

I appreciated that the movie didn't portray anyone as the villain. There was no evil record company, no diabolical agent. It was the music business, and a band with a catchy song - each one made each other some money.

How they captured the feel of the late 50's so well without seeming cliché - I have no idea,

A fun, memorable movie.

Loved this

Author: Mr Black from The First row
13 September 2014

REally liked this movie because it told a STORY and had CHARACTERS! No one gets shot, beat up, murdered, and it requires no special effects. It's a well thought out script with a beginning, a middle and end like they are supposed to have. Great characters all around. Different people, different stories behind them. Tom Hanks as usual was great. I think one of the best things about Tom Hanks is his willingness to be part of an ensemble cast - and he is so good at that. The guys in the band were all great. Specially liked Steve Zahn who was hilarious. Lots of fun at concerts and on stage performance with the band. Also thought Liv Tyler was magnificent. Great performance by her and as always, quite beautiful. I'd like to see more movies like this that rely on character, script, and story, rather than the digital effects department.