IMDb > That Thing You Do! (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
That Thing You Do!

That Thing You Do! More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 22: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

I don't want to gush but...

Author: Blair Campbell from Perth, Australia
10 January 1999

This is really a great movie, no question. I rarely watch a film that is so skilfully crafted and yet is completely inoffensive to any segment of society. The movie combines comedy (and some parts are definitely funny) with romance in a tender-hearted tale of friendship and growing up. I simply cannot recommend this movie highly enough except to say that this is a film I could watch multiple times. Brilliantly acted by a still maturing cast ensemble, witty dialogue, it's got it all. If you want to see something that with touch you and give you a buzz but you don't want to be assailed by profanity, violence, or sexuality - That Thing You Do! is the movie for you. Another Hanks triumph, not just for his role in the movie but for putting it all together. 8/10

I love that thing you do!

Author: hollym20 from Birmingham, AL
23 December 1998

This movie is one of my all-time favorites. It's a feel- good movie that can raise my spirits anytime I am feeling down. I think that Tom Hanks must be one of the most brilliant people on this planet, because he can not only touch our hearts time and time again, winning two Oscars back-to-back, but can produce, direct, and star in this movie as well. The story may seem somewhat cheesy, but it moves right along as the band becomes an overnight sensation. The developing of a friendship between Guy and Fae, leaves you wanting them to be together at the end. I watched this movie over and over and it still makes me laugh every time I see it. For those who've never experienced it, WATCH IT!

Why I like the movie.

Author: Stephen Jennings from Marietta, GA
2 December 1998

Great movie with accurate musical displays. I like the movie very much, and enjoyed seeing it. As a guitarist in a band, I really connected with the story line. "Two Thumbs Up!"

A "root for the underdog" winner

Author: awgie from Arizona, USA
7 November 1998

The hook to this Movie is being able to relate to the characters in the movie...I know these guys but by different names... With HBO showing That Thing You Do this month I have been fortunate to see it again and again.. It's truly a feel good movie and one that the family can sit around and watch together...(Thanks Tom Hanks...not enough of these type movies to go around these days)

Easy to watch but definitely heavy on the sentimentality

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
29 April 2005

Tom Hanks directed this film and that was probably the only reason I felt any urge to see it when it was released in 1996. To this day I don't believe Tom Hanks is the next Martin Scorsese, but to be fair he does an apt job here and his cheesy, breezy vibe that he lends to the film suits it very well.

Essentially a story about a small-town Pennsylvanian band in 1964 who hit it big after one of the members is replaced, and their manager turns out to be Tom Hanks (gasp!).

"Almost Famous" is a far superior examination of a rock band's ups and downs but this is alright as far as Friday night entertainment goes.

This movie is not the best but it is easy to watch and will deliver exactly what the people who watch it expect: a few laughs, a few smiles, some likable characters and a happy ending.

Thinly-veiled but fun homage to the Fab Four.

Author: dhallen from Rochester, MN
26 June 2004

The music alone is reason enough to watch (and re-watch) this movie. Beatles fans will enjoy the many allusions and parallels to the early days of the Fab Four. These include: 1) the One-ders first producer was an uncle whose experience is limited to recording church choirs -- Sir George Martin's forte was comedy before he began producing for the Beatles; 2) Tom Hanks, as the group's manager, stands off to the side wearing sunglasses, exactly like Brian Epstein can be seen doing in concert footage of the Beatles; 3) the group struggles with a name, as did the Quarreymen/Moondogs/Silver Beatles/Beatles; 4) the drummer's name is never revealed, a nod to Ringo Starr/Richard Starkey -- the luckiest drummer in Liverpool. There are many more....

That Thing You Do!

Author: Tim Cox from Marietta, OH
1 July 1999

Pleasant rock comedy written and directed (and co-starring) Hanks about a 60's rock band's meteoric rise and fall. Well acted and paced with charming performances from Scott and Tyler.

personification of Tom Hanks

Author: SnoopyStyle
8 June 2016

It's 1964 Erie, Pennsylvania. Drummer Guy Patterson (Tom Everett Scott) chases flirtatious Tina Powers (Charlize Theron) and unhappily works at the family appliance store. Faye Dolan (Liv Tyler) is the girlfriend of Jimmy Mattingly (Johnathon Schaech) who leads a band with Lenny Haise (Steve Zahn), T. B. Player (Ethan Embry), and Chad (Giovanni Ribisi). They get Guy to join after Chad breaks his arm and come up with the name "Oneders" (supposedly pronounced Wonders). Guy's fast beats force the band to change their song "That Thing You Do" during a competition. The guys sign with manager Phil Horace living out of his camper. They go to Pittsburgh. Mr. White (Tom Hanks) signs them to Play-Tone Records and promptly changes the spelling of their name to The Wonders.

This is very much the personification of the Tom Hanks and his sunshine personality. It is fun, mostly happy, deliberately light even when the movie touches on darker issues, and has a catchy tune. It's good that the song is catchy because the movie plays it a lot. The visual is immaculately perky 60s. This is a happy Disney version of an one-hit-wonder rock group. The actors are beautiful. This is not to say this is a blindly perky film. It doesn't dig too deeply in the darker corners.

Feelgood!

Author: Syxiepoo from United Kingdom
23 January 2016

Just watched TTYD for maybe the 4th time since it came out. It's still top of my list of feel-good movies. It's a simple and quite light story, but it loses nothing for being that. The music is fun, the acting is pretty good ... and Liv is, as always, fabulous. The story- line could be typical of the experiences of bands back in the 60s and, although they turned out to be the one-shot-Wonders, the music is most evocative of the times. I was 15 in the year that this story is set and was listening to The Stones, The Beatles, Creedance, Cream, Dave Clark et al. If TTYD had been released back then, I'd have been listening to the Wonders too.

That Thing It Did Was Succeed.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
5 November 2015

That Thing You Do (1996): Dir: Tom Hanks / Cast: Tom Hanks, Tom Everett Scott, Liv Tyler, Steve Zahn, Ethan Embry: Reflecting on the music and talent of yesteryear with fresh talent hoping to gain the same recognition as their famous peers. Set in 1964 where a group of young adults form a band and write an overplayed song called "That Thing You Do." Tom Hanks becomes their manager and the group becomes the One-ders. Trouble strikes when the band slowly falls apart and they go separate ways. Structure is repetitious but the conclusion bares fact. Directing debut for Hanks who successfully captures the 1960's as well as the struggles of the music industry. He also provides a moral centre in a small but pivotal role as the band's manager. Supporting roles are effective but subdued by predictable writing. Tom Everett Scott seems to be the most durable as he seems to have his heart into it fully. Liv Tyler plays a girlfriend abandoned by another band mate. It is obvious that she will end up with Scott but her closing speech to her ex bares truth. Steve Zahn provides some humour as someone who quits the band to join the military. Superb production gives convincing view of 1960's and the music industry during the period. The film regards making it in an industry without promise and those who cannot see the road ahead due to lust for fame. Score: 8 / 10