IMDb > That Thing You Do! (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
That Thing You Do!

That Thing You Do! More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Do you want something "snappy, peppy, up-tempo and happy"?

Author: Luigi Delgado González from Guadalajara, Jalisco, MEXICO
3 February 1999

I'm a big fan of 60's-music, and when I saw "That Thing You Do!" I really got excited with the music, and all the environment (sets, costumes, etc) I think that Tom Hanks showed the public how to do an entertained movie, with good script and young-talented actors.

The tunes are really "Snappy" and once you listen to the main song you never forget it! I have the soundtrack also and all the songs are great. And every time the movie is scheduled on TV I watch it... I've seen it for a month and I never get bored.

Along with "The Commitments", "That Thing You Do" is one of my favorite musical movies.

Catchy Tune Hooks You

Author: Bobby-36 from Fellsmere, FL
27 January 1999

Tom Hanks really shows off his talents in this movie. Writer, director, actor, and music writer. I never knew he had all these talents. I am a senior in years and this movie sort of takes you back in time. The song by the same name as the movie is one of my favorites now.

I don't want to gush but...

Author: Blair Campbell from Perth, Australia
10 January 1999

This is really a great movie, no question. I rarely watch a film that is so skilfully crafted and yet is completely inoffensive to any segment of society. The movie combines comedy (and some parts are definitely funny) with romance in a tender-hearted tale of friendship and growing up. I simply cannot recommend this movie highly enough except to say that this is a film I could watch multiple times. Brilliantly acted by a still maturing cast ensemble, witty dialogue, it's got it all. If you want to see something that with touch you and give you a buzz but you don't want to be assailed by profanity, violence, or sexuality - That Thing You Do! is the movie for you. Another Hanks triumph, not just for his role in the movie but for putting it all together. 8/10

I love that thing you do!

Author: hollym20 from Birmingham, AL
23 December 1998

This movie is one of my all-time favorites. It's a feel- good movie that can raise my spirits anytime I am feeling down. I think that Tom Hanks must be one of the most brilliant people on this planet, because he can not only touch our hearts time and time again, winning two Oscars back-to-back, but can produce, direct, and star in this movie as well. The story may seem somewhat cheesy, but it moves right along as the band becomes an overnight sensation. The developing of a friendship between Guy and Fae, leaves you wanting them to be together at the end. I watched this movie over and over and it still makes me laugh every time I see it. For those who've never experienced it, WATCH IT!

Why I like the movie.

Author: Stephen Jennings from Marietta, GA
2 December 1998

Great movie with accurate musical displays. I like the movie very much, and enjoyed seeing it. As a guitarist in a band, I really connected with the story line. "Two Thumbs Up!"

A "root for the underdog" winner

Author: awgie from Arizona, USA
7 November 1998

The hook to this Movie is being able to relate to the characters in the movie...I know these guys but by different names... With HBO showing That Thing You Do this month I have been fortunate to see it again and again.. It's truly a feel good movie and one that the family can sit around and watch together...(Thanks Tom Hanks...not enough of these type movies to go around these days)

Extended version

Author: cmf2377 from United States
22 January 2009

I originally saw this movie in the theater and several time since on cable TV. All version seemed the same, the other night I saw the extended version on cable TV and was surprised about what scenes were cut out. The extended version definitely moved slower but provided additional content explaining moments in the film that I used to brush over...most importantly the hinting at the fact that Mr. White, played by Tom Hanks was gay. In the extended version he meets Guy Patterson at the hotel after he got drunk meeting Del Paxton at the Jazz Club.

He then leaves the hotel and gets into a car with a man who appears to be pouting and angry that Mr. White is taking so long. They have this caddy exchange about being late to a party. This is the only scene in the entire movie that makes any insinuation that Mr. White is gay.

I don't think that fact adds or detracts anything from the movie, just curious to know why it was left out.

Thinly-veiled but fun homage to the Fab Four.

Author: dhallen from Rochester, MN
26 June 2004

The music alone is reason enough to watch (and re-watch) this movie. Beatles fans will enjoy the many allusions and parallels to the early days of the Fab Four. These include: 1) the One-ders first producer was an uncle whose experience is limited to recording church choirs -- Sir George Martin's forte was comedy before he began producing for the Beatles; 2) Tom Hanks, as the group's manager, stands off to the side wearing sunglasses, exactly like Brian Epstein can be seen doing in concert footage of the Beatles; 3) the group struggles with a name, as did the Quarreymen/Moondogs/Silver Beatles/Beatles; 4) the drummer's name is never revealed, a nod to Ringo Starr/Richard Starkey -- the luckiest drummer in Liverpool. There are many more....

Lacking a bit of depth but breezy and enjoyable with a nice sense of period

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
23 April 2005

In small town America, a group of friends gain a new drummer in the shape of Guy Patterson and a new band name in the "One-ders". Getting the crowd going at their school competition with their catchy number "That Thing You Do", the One-ders get offered a gig at a local bar. The local buzz takes a few minutes to get going but soon their song is the talk of the town's youth and they decide to print the record up themselves. When a small time manager picks them up they get a few more gigs but things really start to move when they get signed by Play-tone and manager Mr White. However with increasing fame comes the adrenalin rush of success but then tensions, creative differences, distractions and all the stresses of their 15 minutes.

Acting as writer and director, Tom Hanks draws on the idea of fame and the setting of the mid-sixties to create a film that is fun even if it never consistently has the depth that it needed to make it more of a memorable affair. The plot is the rise and eventual fall of the band – this is not a spoiler as the point of the film is that they will be a one-hit wonder; it is enjoyable on this level because it has much that is recognisable and easily referenced to the experience of real groups down the years. It doesn't make these references in a heavy way but mostly with good humour and pace; only really towards the end does the script stumble a bit as it seems to realise that it needs substance to make a good ending and then tries too hard with too little. Outside of this though, it mostly moves very slickly and made for an enjoyable watch even if it isn't that memorable. It was amusing without ever being hilarious; well set in the period without ever having a lot of style to it and interesting without ever really getting beyond the basic pigeonholed characters (goofy one, creative one, girlfriend of the band etc).

The cast helps by matching the breezy feel for the film but they do tend to struggle when anything more is asked of them. Scott is a point in case; he is asked to carry the film, which he does do when it is all slick but the attempts at substance see him seemingly unsure of what to do. Tyler is in the same sort of boat but is still a good presence. Zahn is funny without being annoying; Schaech has a clear character and plays it well and Hanks makes sure he has a good support role for himself. The support cast has lots of faces in there with minor roles for Cobbs, Ribisi, Theron and others.

Overall this is an OK film that is enjoyably breezy and "nice". It references well enough to be recognisable but it doesn't have a great deal going on just below the surface that it could have done with to really make it memorable. Like the Wonders themselves, it is fun and slick when it is on but when it is over you'll find yourself quickly moving on to the next film with not too many memories.

That Thing You Do!

Author: Tim Cox from Marietta, OH
1 July 1999

Pleasant rock comedy written and directed (and co-starring) Hanks about a 60's rock band's meteoric rise and fall. Well acted and paced with charming performances from Scott and Tyler.