Tenchi Muyô! In Love

Tenchi the Movie - Tenchi Muyo in Love More at IMDbPro »Tenchi Muyô! In Love (original title)

Great movie (even dubbed); painless intro for anime novices.

Author: Robert Morgan from Indianapolis
11 September 1999

My wife never had any experience with anime before she was with me; over the years I've sent her scurrying out of the room with much of what I watch... Tenchi Muyo In Love, though, kept her interest piqued.

The animation: beautiful; the usual Tenchi OVAs and TV-series are great, but the movie is a real knock-out. Unlike the big-budget anime movies of late (and Disney films) the scenes have a consistent level of quality. There aren't nine scenes of good animation, and one scene of mind-blowing 3D computer-generated/cel combo stuff... all of the scenes are great quality, with little to cause distraction.

The storyline: good. It draws somewhat upon knowledge of previous events in the Tenchi realm, but is accessible for novices. I would have preferred the story to stick with the emotional aspect- as exciting as a big demon fight is, the characters are even more so... but then again, I guess that's why companies make stuff like Kimagure Orange Road or Maison Ikkoku.

The translation: good. Unlike how I prefer most of my anime, I'm both used to and accepting of the English translation job done by Pioneer. They're the voices I first heard when watching Tenchi, and they settle okay with me. (My wife can't stand Sasami's English voice, however.) I don't feel like I'm either missing parts of the original dialogue, nor do I feel like the story is too Americanized. If I were used to the Japanese version, my feelings might vary- but I have access to both versions, and the English one usually wins out.

The storyline is good... Tenchi as a whole is not supposed to be unique, but a comfortable, fun ride. It delivers entertainment in droves, and the characters are so well-rounded that it's hard not to come away without feeling affected, despite feeling like you've just watched a mish-mash of SF cliches. Rather than the tour-de-force movies like Akira or Ghost in the Shell, this is the movie I'd probably show new-comers- "This is what Japanese animation can be like." When they're more willing to work at comprehending a story, then move on...

I'm not into Anime films, but this was really good!

Author: andy-227 from Sterling Heights, Michigan
4 June 1999

I'm not into Anime as much as some other people I know, but this movie knocked my socks off! It's really awesome, especially because it reminds people how good animated films without the "Disney" trademark can be. The sound and the detail in the animations are technically superb! Plus, this animated film actually has a story that could have easily been made into a live-action motion picture. Still, I think it works better this way, because you can do anything with animation and cartoons. The only problem I had was that this and "Akira" are pretty much the only Anime films I've actually seen. I know kids in school who discuss and analyze the films as if they were like any other motion picture. To me, I'm just blown away by the film in the first place. I guess I'm inexperienced with Anime films. It's kind of weird, because I'm lost in the film, while the others kids can point out who's who at the snap of a finger! At first, it was a little hard to follow. I also didn't quite get all of the spirituality and the kung-fu fighting. Once I got used to it though, I was really impressed with it! I highly recommend this picture to Anime fans, and to people who are not into Anime! You will like this, I guarantee you!

A clever addition to the Tenchi story

Author: Ryan Miller (rtil@washington.usa.com) from United States
22 April 2003

Tenchi Muyo! In Love adds fills a lot of holes in the original Tenchi story, cleverly adding some of the history of the Masaki family into the film as part of the main plot. In TMIL Tenchi's mother Achika is disappearing from the past, consequently dragging Tenchi out of the real world. Soon enough Washu convinces Tenchi and the girls to travel into the past to find the man trying to kill Achika. So, the film takes you into the past to Achika's life - and the thrilling hunt for her stalker. The plot has a few twists and turns, but a healthy amount of them so as it doesn't turn the film itself into an enigma that leaves you behind. Instead you are drawn even more into the mystery, and the closer you are to the end you wonder more how many more ways it could come to an end. Generally Tenchi has it's problems balancing comedy and serious story line - however TMIL will never leave you lost or confused. It's not like Tenchi in Tokyo where randomness ensues one episode after the next. TMIL is highly tolerable, consistent, and not sickeningly corny or unrealistic - leaving aside the whole idea of the magic of the Jurian family and sci-fi material. TMIL is a perfect mix of action, suspense and it's deep and fascinating enough to get you into the film and interested early on. It flows better than any of the other Tenchi films and even the 3 original series. You will not be disappointed, the film is well worth your time whether you're a Tenchi fan or not.

Cool Anime, but in need of a primer for non Tenchi Fans

Author: redbeard_nv from Boulder City
11 January 2002

As an Anime fan to begin with, this movie is a delight. As a Tenchi Fan, it is a joy to behold. The addition of Christopher Franke's (Tangerine Dream, Babylon 5, Raven, M.A.N.T.I.S.)music is icing on the cake.

But, for non-Tenchi fans, or those new to this story , or Manga, a little introduction is needed. Even that is difficult for the stories have been reworked at least three different ways in different productions.

Basically the whole series revolves around Tenchi Masaki, a young man living in a rural province of Japan outside of Tokyo with his widowed father, an architect, and his grandfather, a shrine caretaker. But, his life is not as un-complicated as it seems, for his grandfather is a several hundred year old reigning prince of an extraterrestrial empire known as the House of Jurai, as his late mother was a princess to the same galactic domain. So his lineage has made him the target of both the scum of the universe, as well as an odd collection of women in his household: a 700 year old space pirate called Ryoko, who is also a stunningly lovely woman with a short fuse and super-powers, Ayeka, ruling princess of the House of Jurai and his grandfather's half sister (her mother pure blood Jurain, his mother human), her younger sister Sasami (who is psychically merged with a living all-powerful starship called Tsunami), Washuu, the exiled super-genius and professor of a galactic science academy (her inventions were a little destructive for the faculty, or the universe, to handle), Myhoshi, a ditzy member of the Galaxy Police force, Kiyone, her oft put-upon partner, and Ryo-oki, a cabbit (half cat, half rabbit), a creation of Washuu's which itself can transform into a living space ship.

Now, with that out of the way, this adventure pits Tenchi against a powerful master criminal called Kain, imprisoned by the Jurain Empire who escapes from Galaxy Police's temporal prison and travels back in time to take revenge by murdering Tenchi's mother, thereby destroying him in the present, as well as decimating the Royal House of Jurai. It is up to Tenchi and the ladies (all of whom have a love interest in Tenchi, to varying degrees), using Washuu's super science, to travel back in time to save Tenchi's mother when she was still Tenchi's age.

What follows is an adventurous, funny and often touching story as Tenchi meets the mother he never knew, fights for her life and his, as well as juggle the love and affection of the ladies (especially Ryoko, who is deeply in love with him and Ayeka, who desires him as a mate of royal lineage).

The film is a joy, as are the two sequels, which give a new and great creative take on the popular television and video series.

My rating as a Robotech/Anime fan

Author: rrutter from USA FL
21 July 2004

I cant believe this movie got a lower rating than the 3rd one. If you liked Robotech (except for minmei's singing and the overly sappy parts of overdone cheesy lines) I'm pretty sure you'll appreciate this one. The movie opens up with some action in the beginning and the end for the first 15 minutes and the last 20-30 minutes.

The movie is a bit more serious than the first ova series, art work was really good, the drama could have been a bit more in-depth but I guess they made up for it in the 3rd movie. I think the battle scene could have been drawn out an extra 5 minutes or so but I'm getting used to seeing most of the tenchi series/movies cut the battle scenes really short.

My only nitpick is that tenchi's mom when she was morphed in to jurai warrior should not have been in a white dress with a cute pink bow on her back....cmon this is a jurai warrior/protector here not some cute little maiden in distress. Although they did curb it a little bit with her pissed off look, and her wielding a light sword.

Pretty difficult to find a good anime with a good story line, love triangle, and a bit of action but this one hits the mark.

I gave it a 10

Ryoko Saves Everyone Again...(10 out of 10)

Author: MrNefarious from U.S.A.
30 October 2003

A great installment to the Tenchi Muyo series. As a stand alone movie it is great as well. The story draws you in and keeps you on the edge to the very end. All along the way you get the great angst and humor that goes with the territory that is Tenchi Muyo... **************POSSIBLE SPOILER*************** Of course once again the whole gang finds themselves clinging to Ryoko for help as she has to teleport everyone to subspace to save Tenchi's mother. ************************END SPOILER************************* All in all solid and entertaining. (10 out of 10)

You gotta love the music

Author: (myk@emailaccount.com) from Seymour, TN
6 August 2002

The storyline is a little lacking, but it is interesting none the less.

Where this movies really shines is in the music. The music is absolutely fantastic. It just fits so well with the movie. Most of the music is pleasant and flowing, and isn't harsh, but simply sits in the background, moving the storyline along. What's more: You can buy the soundtrack and sit there, listening to it, and see about half the movie in your head, just because the music is so good at pulling the images out of your brain.

Christopher Franke really is a sonic painter.

Very Enjoyable

Author: Simon Chan from Brooklyn, New York
14 March 2002

Going back to the past to save your parents so you exist in the first place. Doesn't seem very original does it? But as you watch the movie, you find yourself drawn into the story. The story that revolves around Tenchi's mother Achika, and the budding romance between her and Tenchi's future father, Noboyuki. Little do they know that they have been targeted by a ruthless entity known as Kain.

Tenchi fans will truly enjoy the movie as they get more of an insight on the clouded past on tenchi's parents. The reaction of Tenchi and the gang around his parents is a pleasant experience for the viewer.

Non Tenchi fans will appreciate the relationships between characters in the movie. The action scenes are very well done and adds excitement to the plot.

There is something however i can complain about. The story has a huge buildup and a relatively short resolution. But the resolution was truly sweet and makes you watch it over and over again. Its a very cheap dvd , so go out and buy it or rent it today. You definitely won't regret it

ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL

Author: Raptor_21 (Raptor21@ignmail.com) from Hawaii
26 July 2001

This movie is one of my favorite Anime movies of all time, and I believe it is better than the other two, but the second was great as well, except this one was much better. The plot was wonderful, and the art/animation was of excellent quality. It doesn't exactly follow the timelines of any of the Tenchi series, however, the movie's quality makes up for it. The battle scenes were absolutely spectacular, and the dubbing was great. A Must-See anime movie for Tenchi Muyo fans and for even the casual anime fan.

Tenchi Muyo fans will enjoy

Author: studhead182 from Tampa Florida
15 July 2001

WARNING: SOME SORT OF A SPOILER When I first saw this movie I had no idea what Tenchi was. I never heard of the show much either. I only rented the movie because I was an Anime' fan and thought it looked rather interesting. Anyway the movie takes play space at the galaxy head quarters. A ruthless criminal none as Kane has escaped his prison cell and blown up the galaxy head quarters. He is no friend of the Jurai so he goes back in time to attack Tenchi's mother. Meanwhile in the Masaki household Tenchi and the gang are watching movies of his mother Achika. Then Tenchi starts to dissapear.

Before watching this movie you should watch the T.V. show first. Then you would probably understand more.