IMDb > A Step Toward Tomorrow (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Step Toward Tomorrow More at IMDbPro »

A true "family" movie...

Author: KnatLouie from Copenhagen, Denmark
25 May 2002

This movie is about a single mother, who has two sons, one of them is in a wheelchair because of an accident which happened two years earlier. They all move to a new town, where they try to establish themselves, and tries to find a new doctor who maybe can help the boy, so that he can be healthy again and live without so much pain.

Judith Light is excellent as the mother, Anna Lerner, who tackles every situation with a good sense of humor, and seems to be a very good and loving mother, who just wants the best for her sons.

Tom Irwin plays Dr. David Decker, who does everything he possibly can to help the family, and....well, I won't reveal too much of the plot, but he certainly likes them all, and is very likeable himself.

Fans of Christopher Reeve and Brad Dourif (whom I am one of) will probably be a bit disappointed because they don't have much time in this movie, but they seem very believable and act great in the short time they do get on the screen.

-I couldn't avoid laughing when Dourif was introduced by the kid's as "Kirby, the gravedigger...people say he's insane and has buried 10 people alive!!"... because he almost always plays psycho-roles like that, but this one was quite different, and not at all mentally deranged (well, maybe a little bit, but in a good way).

Chistopher Reeve is Denny Gabrial, a man in a wheelchair (of course), who becomes very good friends with the little boy in the wheelchair. It is a very sympathetic role, and it is nice to see him make a comeback to the screen again, although his role is somewhat small and not really a part of the plot.

When all adds up, this is a movie who kids may like (because it shows the relationship between two brothers, and how hard it is to cope with the fact that ones brother is disabled, and so forth). Parents will probably also like it, because it shows how hard it can be to be a single parent, having a handicapped child, etc.

Even though I mostly watch action-movies, this one was good in another way, and I give this movie 7/10, because I felt good watching it, and had a good feeling after it ended, and also because I liked the cast.

Fine acting!

Author: guilfisher from New York City
13 October 2004

This is an exceptional movie. I usually am wary of Judith Light and her tearful performances. She is always crying in every film she makes. But here is one where you'd think the tears would be gushing. But they aren't. Either the director watched her carefully or she did this on her own. Where there could have been crying jags, there wasn't. As though she felt the focus should be on her children. Good for you, Judith. Both boys were well played. Beautifully played.

The moment for me was in seeing Christopher Reeve in the small role of a wheelchair bound man who helped the young boy understand he wasn't alone. This film was shown a day after Mr. Reeve's passing. So, to this viewer, it had much more profound depth in it's message. For surely, Mr. Reeve spent his lasting years in trying to bring attention to us all as to the needs to those stricken with this paralysis. It was bittersweet and very hard to watch at times. My heart goes out to the Reeve family in their loss. I applaud the message being told in this film and the courage Christopher Reeve lived to his final days.

A Step Toward Understanding

Author: (ebertenterprises)
1 August 2003

"A Step Toward Tomorrow" is excellent and certainly should be immediately released to DVD and video! I only recently had the chance to view this film and it is a gem among the hum-drum of most made-for-TV films. Judith Light and Christopher Reeve are the talented professionals we have come to expect and appreciate, and Kendall Cunningham and Tim Redwine--the child actors--are incredible talents that dazzle with moving emotion throughout the feature.

I have read a lot of negative reviews for this film; usually centering on the technical aspects of this film that weren't exactly correct. All films have flaws! The gift of this film is that it does an outstanding job--in the roles of Redwine and Cunningham--of showcases the delimma of anyone who is different--bound to a wheelchair, dyslexic, heart condition, etc.--the appreciation of understanding and help we receive from our family and friends, and the desire to do for ourselves and be our own person. The fact that this telefilm has the ability to capture that very difficult piece of life makes it a top picture in my book. This film should be used in the classroom!

I LOVE this movie!

Author: Sean Richard McCarthy (srmccarthy1000@gmail.com) from United States
16 October 2004

To tell you the truth, I have never seen the beginning of this movie. I caught it at the ending a while back and loved it. Then the other day I saw it (or rather just the ending) again. It was not listed in the television guide because it was aired as a tribute to Christopher Reeve, who died the day before, as he has a part in it. None the less, what I have seen is wonderful!

It is so heart warming. It makes you ball up in tears, and that is good for the eyes, the heart and soul of mankind!

This movie has got to be put on VHS or DVD! If not for the quality of heart touching movie that it is, then the other excuse might be because the tribute to Christopher Reeve.

Commercial release?

Author: bkn6006-1 from United States
31 January 2007

It just amazes me that this movie, which is Reeve's first appearance on-screen since his accident, isn't available on VHS or DVD.

It seems that Lifetime has some rights to run it, but it's not listed and there seems to be no way to get feedback from them about it.

If you've not seen this movie, you're really missing an excellent show that raises some valid points about the problems of health care - at least in the United States...

The problem the mom runs into, in not only having a low paying job, are the facts that she can't raise the money to pay for her son's operation when the "by the book" insurance carrier refuses to pay for it, and the hospital is afraid of being sued for carrying out an experimental surgery on such a small boy. Meanwhile, the boy is left to suffer...until the end of the movie, that is.

Question

Author: (Assertivewoman1@aol.com) from United States
8 September 2005

Does anyone know if this movie is based on a true story? I have seen it twice and it is inspirational. It is a great example that shows what a mother wouldn't do for their child. This also includes fathers who have to play dual roles as both father and mother. I thank you if you can find out the answer to my question. I have spinal conditions, endo (it won't allow me to spell out this disease), and chronic pain due from them. I run and CO-run support groups both Online and Offline for spinal conditions, endo, chronic pain, and also eating disorders. I am here for anyone who need support. Again, I thank you and I wish everyone well.

Really sweet movie

Author: Pegi Silber from Cincinnati OH
21 April 2001

This is a really sweet movie. The characters are well-developed and likeable. A lot of time is spent on the relationship between the brothers and why the older brother feels he needs to spend so much time caring for the younger brother. Then of course, there's a love story here too.