IMDb > Spy Hard (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

A gag a second

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
22 July 2002

From the same mold as the "Naked Gun" series, "Spy Hard" stars everyone's favorite bumbling hero Leslie Nielson as a not-so-secret agent, WD-40, who stumbles his way through another slampooning chaotic comic story. Sniping at everything from "Speed" to "Home Alone" and built around the James Bond flicks, "Spy Hard" features lots of babes and bunches of bit part celebs with nonstop gags and off-the-wall humor. Only for those who are into wacky for the sake of wacky. (C+)

Funny spy-themed spoof with Weird Al in opening theme

Author: rebeljenn from Bath, England
1 January 2006

I caught 'Spy Hard' on television the other night, and the film really took me back to the early 1990s. I noticed Weird Al right away from his part singing the theme song. 'Spy Hard's' purpose is to create a comical version of James Bond and similar spy-themed films. Some of the comedy is very funny, but some of it wears thin throughout the film. (You'll either enjoy the sense of humour, or you will hate it.) WD40 is a great name for the secret agent, and Mr. T even makes an appearance. There is also a lot of adult-themed humour. By the end of the film, I was ready for it to be finished. It's funny, but it's not brilliant, but I cannot complain because it did let me laugh. If you like Austin Powers, you will probably like this, even though it is not as popular. It will also take you right back to the early 1990s. Not a perfect film, it does have some good humour.

Not One Of Leslie's Best

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
14 August 2006

I've seen a few of Leslie Nielsen's spoof movies that were, indeed, funny for the most part such as his role as Dracula or in the takeoff of The Fugitive. However, this one - a parody of the James Bond film - just didn't have the quality or quantity of belly laughs, or laughs at all. It relies too much on slapstick and tired, overused jokes. To be fair, there are some funny scenes and parodies of other films but just not enough of them. The best part of the movie may have been the opening credits, which was an excellent takeoff on the memorable Bond openings.

I also thought they overdid the irreverence on the convent scene. It's typical Hollywood in which nuns and priests are portrayed as the opposite of what they are supposed to be (nuns with machine guns and disrespectful language??! Let's not overdo the satire.)

Well, at least it wasn't boring and it's wasn't overly long at just 81 minutes.

Average fare but some good moments

Author: Mitch-38 from Houston, Texas
16 January 2001

The dopey, deadpan character sculptured by Leslie Nielsen is back in a "James Bond-esque" comedy as agent WD 40. There are more gag misfires in this movie, than a parking lot full of dead batteries. However, he's such a likeable guy, you can make it over the hump.

Unfortunately, with the exit of the mad geniuses (The Zucker Bros. & Jim Abrahms), there's little here in this script to wave the pom-poms about. It's all been done too many times before.

Of honourable mention is a priceless, very quick cameo with Pat Morita, which is an absolute gem. There are other assorted scenarios that came off well, too. See it if you must on a rainy Sunday, but this is pretty old, borrowed and blue.

I just love this movie.

Author: AmericanPanascope from United States
30 November 2000

Although I am a big Leslie Nielsen fan, you don't have to even know who he is to laugh hysterically at this one. First of all, I love the feel of this movie. The Secret Service headquarters is just full of secret crannies where weirdos are hiding. Especially the director's office. You always find something goofy hidden in there. In addition to Nielsen's trademark spotlight-stealing sight gags, there are many subtle insults, including the use of the Disney Animation Studio façade as the establishing exterior shot of the Agency headquarters (you can see the Seven Dwarfs in the architecture), and the fact that Agent 3.14, in addition to her number being pi, speaks with a huge French accent, even though she's Russian. I particularly love the character of Coleman. I always laugh when he sees the Rancor tape and utters a Bostonese "Gooed Gwad!". The characters are great in this. There is Steele's trusty sidekick Kabul (who has a different car in every scene), and Andy Griffith is an excellent villain. One of the best parts of this movie is Weird Al Yankovic's opening title song (spoofing Thunderball's).

For goodness' sakes, rent it if you haven't seen it yet. WATCH FOR THOSE CAMEOS!

Great film!

Author: JWMP from England
7 September 2004

I don't see how anyone can not like this just a little bit. Sure it's not the greatest film in the world, but it still does justice to the spoof genre, which so many films have tried to do but failed (think Scary Movie (the 1st one, not the other 2, they were decent)).

It's not as good as the Naked Gun trilogy or Airplane, and it does recycle a few gags from there (Scary Movie 3 did this). They do this so that people who haven't seen the other films still get a variety of jokes from the other films.

The opening sequence is one of the best opening sequences I have seen in ages. They should definitely do more films like this film. 9/10.

Genuinely funny film starring the one and only!

Author: Aaron Hassard
29 December 2007

I've seen that this film has got mostly bad reviews on this website, and i heard that at the time of this movies release, it didn't do well in the box office and was also poorly received, in my opinion though, they are ALL wrong!

This is a great film, you can clearly see that it tries to live up to the great heights of the Naked Gun series, and it has a real go at it, but seriously, what will ever beat The Naked Gun, in comedy anyway...?

There are lots of good gags in the film but i'm not going to spoil it for you, just buy the DVD (VHS if your old fashioned!) and find them out for yourself, it will be worth it believe me!

I would recommend this to any Leslie Neilson fan (like me!) or anyone needing a good laugh....

funny but not his best

Author: Lee-112 from CA
23 August 1999

This movie is pretty funny, it's not Leslie Nielsen's best though. Some parts of this movie are just plain dumb, but that's the point. It's actually a pretty funny movie that I enjoyed watching and will maybe enjoy again.

Charles Durning and Barry Bostwick are funny together. Marcia Gay Harden is funny too. And of course, Leslie Nielsen, he's funny in this film but not funnier than some of his other films.

If you like this kind of comedy, and Leslie Nielsen then you'd like this. But if you're looking for a funnier film with Nielsen, than rent another one like dracula or any of the naked gun movies, airplane is always good too.

'Spy Hard' isn't a very "good" film, but it's quite hilarious at times

Author: joaniekilbride from DG, IL
12 December 2004

Spy Hard General Rancor is threatening to destroy the world with a missile he is hiding at his secret base. But to complete his goal, he needs a special computer chip, invented by the scientist Prof. Ukrinsky. Special Agent Dick Steele is assigned to the case, in order to prevent the worst. He teams up with Ukrinsky's daughter Veronique, who happens to be a KGB agent.

Cast Includes... Leslie Nielson and Andy Griffith.

'Spy hard' is basically Naked Gun 4 with different character names and less laughs. Spy hard veers off course and Dick Steele travels to so many different locations that we lose track and don't end up caring. So, In the end, 'Spy Hard' does have some quality laughs but doesn't live up to any of Nielson's other spoofs.

2.5/4

PG13- crude/sexual humor and some comic, fake violence.

Was a Little Bit Let Down

Author: tmcona-1 from United States
26 March 2006

When I rented this the other day I was thinking how funny this was going to be. I was comparing this to other Leslie Neilsen films such as The Naked Gun films, Airplane, Mr.Magoo, and Scary Movie 3. I was surprised. Don't get me wrong the film was funny in certain points, just not the large amount of laughs you get from the Naked Gun. Neilsen uses the same antics from The Naked Gun, which is good if the film is just as funny, but it does not match up. The funniest part in the film is the bike flashback, and the convent. If you like Leslie Neilsen rent it, but don't be let down like I was. I watched this with my five year old cousin, and it was appropriate for him. This movie was overrated by the MPAA.

PG-13 for Language and a brief scene of sex.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]