IMDb > Shine (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 7 of 11: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Very, very, very good!!!

Author: Ruud Bloem (BigVoice) from Europe, Netherlands
31 October 1999

The film shows the talent of a young boy drive by the shortcummings of the father due to WOII, when he lost his mom & dad and brothers and sisters. Now he sees that his son has a talent, but he wants to keep the family together. And the boy is a meek, soft boy who only wants to be a child. The same need as his father, because undergoing a war is far from good when you're a child. So the struggle from the father is very good played but my greatest honoring goes to Geofrey Rush who plays David as an adult. Very, very good!

For Every human being...

Author: balthzar from Norman, OK
2 July 1999

there is a special place that one discovers the true meaning of creativity. This film captures the great imagination of some of the most highly artistic individuals in the world, their struggle, their fight for recognition, and their fight for anything but failure. I was truly mesmerized by the fact that they used Rachmaninoff's 3rd instead of the immensely popular 2nd concerto. This movie was not made for the general mass, but to see it is to have a moment of your own creativity.

Mesmerizing!

Author: Melissa Ricks (melissa8@pdq.net) from Houston, Texas
27 February 1999

Hicks directs a mesmerizing scene during the adolescent's concert when he removes the music and we hear only the clicking of the piano keys. Brilliantly directed and performed. Where was the nomination for Noah Taylor?

I'm only happy when it rains...

Author: Stefanówich from Kalmar, Sweden
5 October 1998

...or when I play the piano. This is one true masterpiece!

The film and the man himself!

Author: mikefrig from Australia
18 August 2013

Rush plays the man, and does a brilliant job. Yesterday (August 2013) I saw David in person, playing the piano in a performance in Cairns. To see him in real life, and playing as brilliantly as he does, makes one realise how close the film is to his actual life. If you don't get the opportunity to see David in real life, second best is to watch this film. Of course, there is some editorial licence in the film, and it is nigh on impossible to get into a person's head and way of thinking, but the flavour is there in the film. This film has not only entertainment value, but is a pseudo documentary about the life of a still-brilliant performer. When I saw David play live, I wondered how he could remember all the music without using any sheet music, and it was obvious by his mannerisms that he is still mentally affected - nevertheless, I believe he is one of the world's best pianists.

this is absolute must see movie

Author: tomislav-cikic from Croatia
17 April 2012

This is one of top 5 films I ever see. Story is very strong and performances are for 20. First time I watch this movie I just keep sitting after for 10 minutes and wonder... THIS IS ABSOLUTE MUST SEE MOVIE. Geoffrey Rush is brilliant and this part is how you say made for him. There is a thin line between genius and laugh but Geoffrey is made it. The best scene is David playing Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #3 - Helfgott's own recording of the piece is used - and the aftermath. I do not prefer this kind of music - but after the movie I got myself humming Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #3.Geoffrey Rush got an Oscar for this performance

Shine movie review

Author: Andres Benatar Luque (andy@globalheadhunters.net)
6 January 2011

It is both moving, and a whimsically entertaining film to view, as Geoffrey Rush and Noah Taylor both demonstrate their unique performances as the well respected, but terribly ill pianist, David Helfgott. Marked with Schizoaffective disorder, an illness so damaging that it affected the very mood and form of speech of young David, up until his overall lost result, with nothing but the disease itself became the very thing left to master. Growing up in Melbourne Australia, David grew up under the care of his parents and the company of his sisters. His father Peter, stubbornly played by Armin Muellar-Stahl, taught and inspired his David to perfect his talent with the piano. He even sought for his son to learn the 3rd concerto by Rachmaninoff, yet never encouraging to leave and improve his talent beyond there little home. It was the very encouraging words of a compassionate Australian communist, Katharine Prichard, that young David (Taylor) would go to London, and study in the Royal College of Music. His desire to make his own decision caused his father to disown him, and thus further pushing him away. As young David continues to practice, the illness that soon claimed his way of life took hold, whether it was in his moments of practice, or his literal demonstration of the 3rd concerto, David lost himself in the moment. David (Rush), at a much older age, as been up and around with his life, moving from an institution to a hotel, and then to piano playing hobby in a restaurant. These are all many turns in his life, to the very point when he meets the love of his life Gillian. David's relationship with his father was a major turn in his life, as it simply ended in regretful, but a brief moment of reconcile. Peter hugged his son after years of rejection, and the burden of their tension was lifted, thus making his fathers departure from this world all the more sad, for David had to play for all those who loved him, but his father. "Shine" can't be characterized as one of the greatest bio flicks I've ever viewed, however, the performances liven up the screen with both their authentic portrayals, and the conflicts among the characters. The individual portrayals of Helfgott in his youth and mid life surprised me, with the performance of Noah Taylor, representing the tormented side of David, slowly being consumed by his dedication to music, as well that very depression the consumed him for most of his life. Geoffrey Rush portrays David at a mid age, speaking in disorganized, but arithmetic pattern of speech, changing from one subject to another, exemplifying the result of his disorder. The way Rushbrings his portrayal to life, is both enjoyable and amusing. Stahl forms a cloud of inner tension among David and his performance of Peter Helfgott, and that very tension has probably been one of the major contributions to David's illness. The film "Shine" may be a little disorganized with it's direction. The first half with a young David growing up and spiraling into a wing of depression well done, however, the remaining half of his mid life seemed rather brief for my tastes, despite the overall theme of his comeback being very inspirational. Geoffrey Rush and Stahl are very great actors that make "Shine" shine in glory.

Moving

Author: AKHIL AGGARWAL from United States
21 July 2007

It is one of my all time favorites. I like everything about this movie, the performances, the concept of music shown in there, the story... everything but the only thing I do not like is that it is a true story. The one who had gone through all this, I do not know what to say because the way that guy mumbles words from his past just shows how much he would have gone thru. For the whole movi this guy is shown to be suffering and in the last when he gets the fame he deserves, it just takes yor energy level skyhigh. You really feel good about it. Geoffrey has done one of the finest job I have ever seen on screen. The father-son relationship, his teenage, marriage with an old lady, they all look so much off the track, so different from a regular life. How can someone have all these in one life but it has happened but the shot where he wins some fame after a terrible life is DIVINE.

Reviewers own opinionated inaccuracies

Author: templarnight from United Kingdom
23 February 2007

QUOTE "Reviewer" Lastly, I take issue with the implication that overbearing parents and intense mental and emotional labour can lead one to mental illness. Schizophrenia, in particular, is not something caused by your relationships or activities. It is organic. Things can't "drive you mad," in that sense.ENDQUOTE Schitzophrenia and or madness "can" be brought on by stress you do not know what you are talking about sir ..your comment that it is "organic" would mean that we could never be cured or overcome this illness ourselves which i have done and have seen others doing also so please do not comment on such dangerous topics if you do not know what you are talking about as it could be detrimental to the well being of the mental health etc of others yours eccentric but sane ......;-)

A lovely film

Author: karl_consiglio from Malta
16 December 2006

Based on the true life story of David Helfgott. Starts with the early years under his possessive father's roof. We discover that this boy is truly a talent and child prodigy pianist with a great future once he builds up the courage to break free from his father, even, if not especially psychologically. Finally one Day he makes his way to London. He goes to further his mastering of the art at the royal college of music now in his late youth where he is attempting his long time dream Rachmaninov's Rach 5, which basically if you ask me sums up life itself and that is why the next thing you know is that he has suffered an intense break down. And it is truly with the help of God that the tables eventually turn, and the fact that no matter how cookoo he appears you cannot help but feel for how adorable he is really. And eventually he finds real love which gets him back on his feet again and leave from the petty bar where he found some work as a pianist again and got his recognition back and basically get back to the stage and the light in which he belongs and that is another story.

Page 7 of 11: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]