IMDb > Shine (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Several strong, moving moments

Author: gcd70 from Melbourne, Australia
28 June 2008

"Shine" has been heavily touted, endlessly praised and constantly raved about since its release over a year ago. Having not seen this reputedly magnificent film, I could only imagine what I was missing. That is, until now.

"Shine" does just that, it shines in several strong, moving moments as director Scott Hicks tells us the story of the incredible David Helfgott, an immensely talented musician (prodigy is perhaps more apt) whose tortured youth sees him almost lost to life itself. David bounces back though thanks to the love of good friends and wife Gillian. He returns with a passion for life that is reflected in his astounding, energetic performances.

Jan Sardi provides the simple screenplay that tells the forceful tale, though it does seem to sell us short at the conclusion. Scott Hicks shows signs of a talented director, but not all his ideas come off. Enough of his work is effective though, and I am looking forward very much to his next project.

Geoffrey Rush captures the essence of the adult Helfgott skilfully, and his performance earned him a best actor Oscar. I can't help feeling that for the most part Rush shows a master of imitation, rather than acting. In any case he is outshone by an incredibly powerful turn from Noah Taylor who is outstanding as the young David who leaves his family to pursue a career, only to self destruct at the gateway to greatness. Strong in support are Armin Mueller-Stahl as David's obsessive father Peter, Lyn Redgrave as devoted wife Gillian and Sir John Gielgud as English professor and mentor, Cecil Parkes.

Vicki Niehus' production design is impressive, and the cinematography from Geoffrey Simpson is pleasing to the eye. The all important music score is from David Hirschfelder.

Monday, July 21, 1997 - Hoyts Croydon

Heart melting, Beautiful drama

Author: mirrortime-1 from United States
27 November 2007

This first time I saw this movie I did enjoy it. The second time I was crying thru most of it. Mostly because of the beauty behind the plot. The feeling's the actors conveyed throughout the film hit me like a ton of bricks. It is just an amazing film. To me Geoffery Rush is one of the most talented actors of our time. He won an academy award for his role in this film, and truly deserved it. The story is sad but uplifting. Set in beautiful Austraila the Cinematography is also wonderful. If you are or know any musicians of any kind I highly suggest this timeless film. I do suggest watching it at least 2 times to take in all the emotions behind the main plot.

Shine

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
15 June 2007

This debut from Australian actor Geoffrey Rush, star of Pirates of the Caribbean, originally a stage actor, is a brilliant one in a fantastic biographical drama. The film tells the story of gifted but deeply troubled Autralian pianist David Helfgott, who's talent grew from childhood (played by Alex Rafalowicz) to adolescence (played by Noah Taylor). Hie was driven by his teachers, but more by his strict and abusive father Peter (Armin Mueller-Stahl), who never let him make his own decisions, especially when it concerns leaving home. Finally though David stands up to his father and goes to study overseas, but he suffers a breakdown, and returns to Australia to live life in an institution. Years later, adult David (Oscar, BAFTA and Golden Globe winning Rush), who has developed a very fast vocabulary, is released, and visiting a restaurant one day, he plays the piano again, and his career is reborn, before finally returning to the concert hall, and marrying Gillian (Lynn Redgrave). Also starring John Gielgud as Cecil Parkes, Googie Withers as Katharine Susannah Prichard, Sonia Todd as Sylvia, Nicholas Bell as Ben Rosen, Justin Braine as Tony and Chris Haywood as Sam. Rush is both sympathetic and comedic, and with wonderful piano music, even featuring the real of Helfgott in the background, this is definitely a must see. It was nominated the Oscars for Best Director for Scott Hicks, Best Film Editing, Best Music for David Hirschfelder, Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen and Best Picture, it won the BAFTA for Best Sound, and it was nominated for the Anthony Asquith Award for Film Music, Best Editing, Best Original Screenplay, the David Lean Award for Direction and Best Film, and it was nominated the Golden Globes for Best Director, Best Original Score, Best Screenplay and Best Motion Picture - Drama. Outstanding!

Excellent Movie

Author: ecn2654 from United States
14 March 2005

I developed an appreciation for classical music after watching this film. All of the characters who played David Helfgott (different ages) were excellent, particularly the actor who played the adolescent Helfgott. A must-see for people who do not know his story. The Rachmaninoff concerto towards the end of the movie, the performance that precipitated Helfgott's breakdown, was done exquisitely. I played it over and over again and still get chills when I hear it. Geoffrey Rush delivers a stunning performance as the adult Helfgott and allows the viewer to understand the sensitivity of such a brilliant pianist. Overall, the three stages of David Helfgott's life were portrayed by each actor in a way that allows one to see how the effects of being driven by others as well as driving one's self, can create instability, particularly in the sensitive, artistic mind.

the most intense music for your soul

Author: moroboshi77 from Naples, Italy
18 July 2004

David is a sensitive child who has emotional problems due to his father, who acts like the master of his life. But his sensitivity has also brought him the amazing ability to feel and live the music as nobody else can do. Few things are enough to make this endless-child happy: bathing, music playing and listening, and the love of people around him, especially of his beloved Gillian. I'm not a movie expert, so I can't explain you how it's well played or well directed. The only one thing I can do is to try to transmit you the emotions this movie gave to me: I don't think to be a sensitive person at all, but every time I see it I can't help crying... I suggest everyone to keep this movie and to watch it every time you need to remember how social conventions often block us when we try to express our feelings or share our emotions. (I apologize for my awful English :) )

A really well done movie. (spoiler)

Author: udeaasykle (udeaasykle@hotmail.com) from Sandnes, Norway
28 March 2004

No wonder Geoffrey Rush got an Academy Award for his role as the genius yet simple David Helfgott. As a young boy he has an amazing talent playing the piano but because of his father, he grows up to be a nervous and unsure young gentleman. He defies his father and attend a music college in London. Although he has troubles dealing with everyday live it seems like he finds an inner peace once he sits at the piano. Two of the things that impressed me in this movie was: The rate at which Geoffrey talked and watching how fast the hands were moving on the piano. I have certainly gotten a new respect for piano players cause it really is amazing. I rate this movie 8

A moving story

Author: dubesor from Vancouver, Canada
28 September 2003

I thought that 'Shine' was a very moving story; the man's journey through life really makes you think. I thought his father was a character that was true-to-life: parents like him are not that uncommon. The effect his 'guidance' has on the son is also believable.

Casting problems aside, the movie is astounding.

Author: Lee Bartholomew (sage_patrynxx@cfu.net) from Cedar Falls, IA
17 September 2003

(spoilers)

although the movie at the end runs much like Mel Gibsons Tim, I certainly appreciated the movie. Being a fan of Geoffery Rush, since Les Miserables, I'd always wanted to watch this movie. It wasn't what I was expecting, but no harm done. He portrays the character like everything else he does. With a great sense of realism. He's not Geoffery Rush, he's David. I simply loved it.

Now some things Id like to hit out on. First, the casting. The family seems poorly cast. Now Mr. Stahl is great and wonderful, but he was around 65 at the time of the shooting of this movie. Much too old for the part. The actress playing the mother was just right, but when David was much older, she wasn't a day older.

Not much was played on his schizophrenia. The bed scene seemed like inspiration for Beautiful Mind. It might be because they wanted to focus more on his piano playing than his illness. Which I can understand.

I'd highly recommend this to drama fans. Wonderful film.

Quality: 9/10 Entertainment: 10/10 Replayable: 9/10

Nearly Perfect

Author: J. Wellington Peevis from Malltown
14 September 2003

A weak dénouement robs this film of perfection. The rest however is brilliant, staggeringly so. Ok you can argue the Rain Man act is done so often that its probably not that taxing on an actors abilities. But I do think Rush serves it up best in this portrayal of a piano prodigy who blows a gasket while performing a Rachmaninoff concerto. It's a marvelous experience and a film you will definitely want to own.

It's true greatness shows up compared to A Beautiful Mind

Author: spiritualwolf from London, England
29 August 2002

I saw Shine twice when it first came out, and then watched it again on DVD after going to see A Beautiful Mind - and was immediately reminded how good it was. Not to criticize the brilliant acting by Russell Crowe, but the portrayal of mental illness in Shine is 100 times better than in A Beautiful Mind - the combination of a sharper script, a more imaginative and braver direction and a deeper intention produce a vastly superior movie.

Shine really does Shine - and despite the Oscars, it shows A Beautiful Mind to be pretty ordinary. Best of a bad crop, I guess... or perhaps more of a political than an artistic decision.

Page 4 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]