IMDb > The Search for One-eye Jimmy (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Search for One-eye Jimmy

The Search for One-eye Jimmy More at IMDbPro »

Ingenious and very amusing.

Author: MovieAlien from az
29 December 1998

This is truly a sleeper. Although the plot sounds a bit absurd, the results are intentionally hilarious and clever. I don't know where I was when this film came out, it just released to video, and that was it.

The film focuses on the title character, a sleazy and dimwitted housing project type, and what his disappearance has on his friends and family. The search is made into a documentary by a film student (Colt McCallany), and most of the film is in the form of a "mockumentary."

I highly recommend this movie. If you like what you see in the cast, you'll love it!

See it for John Turturro, if nothing else

Author: Scott Fulmar (brianoblivion@prodigy.net) from Memphis, Tennessee
22 December 2000

It's been several years since I saw this film; I don't remember much about it other than the fact that I was pleasantly surprised at how funny it was.

But one aspect of the film left an indelible mark on me: John Turturro. I've loved Turturro ever since I first saw the Coen's "Miller's Crossing" waaayy back in '90, but his performance (that dance!) in "One-Eyed Jimmy" is easily the most hilarious thing he's ever done (although I'll agree with another reviewer here that his character in "The Big Lebowski" is pretty damn funny too).

Ignore the low average rating you see here. If you like any of the brilliant character actors in this film, especially John Turturro, you'll enjoy it.

A brilliant mockumentary style black comedy, that grabs hold of you from the start!

Author: Are-you-having-your-period
17 August 2002

All the reviews of this movie slam it, but they are missing the point - if you look at it from the point of view of the characters involved, and try to se things as they would, you would love it! The film maker is like every film maker and news reporter I have ever met, eager for a ground breaking story, hoping against hope that Jimmy turns up dead, because it will make great cinema! The other characters are a lot like some people I know - they seem to resemble young high school drop outs, who are just milling around, looking for ways to make cash! When Jimmy goes missing, they all half heartedly look for him, not really caring whether he shows up or not, and the results are hilarious! This film is a rare gem, well worth seeing! Steve Buscemi and Samuel L Jackson carry the movie, and those two make it worth seeing for them alone! A great movie!

One of the funniest local movies I've seen.

Author: davidpcrosson from United States
2 May 2006

I remember aimlessly wandering Blockbuster video one night in college looking for a movie I hadn't seen yet (a rarity) and I stumbled across this movie that had a bunch of actors I liked. I rented it, watched it, and boy am I glad I did. It does require a bit of an acquired taste since the film is very low budget, but it has some of the funniest performances I've seen in any comedy in years. Nick Turturro is a standout in this film as a pathological thief with zero self control. His brother, John, turns in a funny one as the Red-Hook-local-dance-legend, Disco Bean. It's gonna be hard going finding this movie anywhere. If this tells you anything, I got rid of all my VHS tapes years ago when DVD came out and my collection has amassed to well over 100 DVD's...but the one and only VHS tape I have to this day is "The Search for One-Eye Jimmy".

I've actually seen it

Author: iamchuck01 from Austin, Texas
17 July 2004

I've never actually met another person that has seen it, but I always try to get the word out about it. Great movie. The best story line. I haven't decided if the acting is really good or really bad. I think this movie would have been more popular if had actually gotten a little advertisement. The first I heard of it was when I saw it at a video store, and even then I've haven't seen it at many video stores (I have frequented many video stores in many cities in many states over the last 10 years). I love this movie, I just wish I had someone I could actually talk to it about, or at least someone who would get it when I quoted something from it. Damn shame this movie isn't more popular.

Brush Your Teeth Bro

Author: ashleyallinson from Toronto
8 February 2005

If the cast doesn't warrant giving this one a look, the laughs surely will. My theory is that the Simpson's "disco stu" was created thanks to this one. Basically some knuckleheads help a worried mother find her alcoholic son with some slick detective work. The amateur sleuths basically waste time until they all end up at the same place where they continue to diss each other. Topped off by, perhaps, one of the best fight scenes ever caught on tape outside of a deli and a supporting cast now so familiar, Steve Buschemi and Samuel L. Jackson playing leads roles, this one is a must see. A True knee-slapper that should have you laughing out loud, even if watching it alone.

Hilarious, deadpan romp through the Bronx

Author: Milpool from Fredericton
5 November 1999

I have seen this movie about three times now, and everytime I run into it, I just cannot turn away. This hilarious, dead pan feature is one of those flicks which just grabs you deep inside with all of it's lame absurdity and never lets go. The characters are funny, the locale is laughable, and oh... Joe Head.... I could not do justice to this little ball of unbridled hilarity within a single review... It must be watched, preferably in a laughing mode. The ending is a real hoot.

hilarious!

Author: anonymous from NJ
24 May 1999

The idea of the movie struck me as strange, so naturally, I rented it. It was worth it, though! This movie was incredibly funny, and there were so many memorable characters (most notably the notorious "One-Eyed Jimmy" and Samuel L. Jackson's character). A very ironic, and ingenious movie!

I'm one-eyed about One-eyed Jimmy

Author: dr_salter from Australia
12 June 2005

The long list of alternate style actors in this film- makes it the good film it is. Those non-Hollywoodized fuzzballs like Steve Buscimi's 'Ed Hoyt', John Turturro's 'Disco Bean' and Samuel L. Jackson's 'Coln. Ron' make it a simply honest film. The director Sam H. Kass bends these wacky celluloid characters just enough till the are almost real life. Of course it's the laughable situations around their searching for Jimmy Hoyt that makes it even more enjoyable.

The narrative begins with a small film crew walking around filming people in a neighborhood with Michael Badalucco's 'Joe Head'- guiding the crew. Mrs Hoyt, the overly protective mom and the sister Holly (Anne Meara), are worried about alcoholic Jimmy being away for a few days. The stony-faced father in a bathrobe, Harold (Patrick McNamara), sits in the lounge- saying nothing- but his silence is understandable cause along the way- we're told he gets (not quite visible) uncontrollable erections and is depressed... So, they improvise and work around him. Going off filming, hanging out and arguing around each other- so we are always finding out interesting tidbits about these strange collection of characters.

Also a plus for me, it was good to see all the Turturro family is there... bro Nicholas T. as 'Junior', sister Aida T. as 'Madame Esther', mom Katherine T. as the 'Ticket Seller #2'... and they are all superb... fitting in with the rest of the dysfunctional weirdos to make this- a comedy not to be missed.

A group of friend's making a movie

Author: caspian1978 from Boston, MA
9 December 2003

If not for the long list of known actors in the movie, all you have is a group of friends getting together to make a movie. Not that I didn't like seeing Boom Boom Mancini in a movie, but give me a break. It's obvious that most of these actors only worked on the film for a day, maybe two. The storyline is so simple that it makes other independent (no budget) movies look like Gone With the Wind. The lack of interesting direction and with the 'not so perfect' acting, makes The search for One-eye Jimmy not worth searching. The treats of this film is the list of actors who are in the movie. All 3 of the Turturro actors make an appearance and most of the actors are six if not two or three degrees of separation from one another. Many of the actors are in other movies with one another. Makes it more easy to say that The Search for One-eye Jimmy was an effort made by a group of friends wanting to make a movie. My guess, it was shot in under 1 week.