7 items from 2013
Christmas is a time for tradition – presents, decorations, carols, and mince pies. But what better tradition to celebrate than the Christmas movie? Join The Hollywood News for the Movie Advent Calendar – a film each day ’til Christmas. For the full Advent Calendar so far, click here.
There have been a few films recently that rely almost entirely on the performance of one performer. A single hander, to use theatrical parlance. Recently we had Buried and 127 Hours (both 2010). But did you know there is a Christmas movie relying 100% on a single performance? That movie is The Grinch (2000). Of course, it features a large supporting cast of fine comic actors, but let’s face it, this is a one man show.
Jim Carrey stars as the titular Grinch and is barely recognisable beneath the fantastic makeup/costume bestowed upon him, but the voice and movement reveal the Ventura within. He chews the »
- John Sharp
Ranked: The 100 Best Christmas Movies of All Time Your survival guide to those TBS and ABC Family marathons. By: Matt Patches 100. All I Want for Christmas It's like House Arrest, but with all of the charm replaced by tinsel. Not based on the Mariah Carey song (but maybe it would have been better if it had been?). Worth one viewing for Leslie Nielsen as “Santa.” 99. Christmas with the Kranks Awful people celebrate Christmas too, you know! Based on a novel by John Grisham, the quality of this Tim Allen/Jamie Lee Curtis comedy depends mostly on one's tolerance for oafish comedy and the manufactured elements of the holiday. 98. Santa with Muscles Starring Hulk Hogan as a millioniare-bodybuilder-turned-amnesiac-mall-Santa-crime-fighter, Santa with Muscles is a bonkers Christmas adventure that might have been better as a Yahoo Serious vehicle. Maybe. 97. Fred Claus Meet the Parents director David Dobkins throws millions at [...] »
- Matt Patches
When considering the greatest Christmas movies of all time, there is one that is always over looked. Be it journalistic snobbery, or a tragic lack of awareness, this movie is always omitted from festive film lists. The premise alone warrants its place on any list worth its seasonal salt: Evil body building millionaire Blake Thorne (Hulk Hogan) gets amnesia and then believes that he is Santa Claus.
I mean, come on! Just read that again! Who wouldn’t want to see this movie?
You? Everyone else? Me? Yeah, sounds about right.
- John Sharp
People always suggest tough, action roles for Idris Elba. But now that he and girlfriend, Naiyana Garth, are pregnant with their first child (Elba's second), the actor might want to reconsider. With a G-rated viewer in the house, Elba ("The Wire," "Luther") might want to consider some family friendly roles instead.
After all, babies aren't the target audience for "Pacific Rim" -- or for roles like Batman and James Bond, as some have suggested. Since remakes are the big thing in Hollywood these days, Elba could simply remake one of these six films that allow tough guys to show their softer sides.
Elba would make a great undercover super-cop posing as a teacher of young children.
What better way to teach the little one about tooth-stealing, magical creatures than by playing one? »
Mila Kunis turns 30 on Wednesday (Aug. 14). In order to celebrate the actress' life and long career -- she started appearing in movies and television shows as a child -- here are 30 career highlights (and lowlights) from Kunis' 30 years on this planet.
2. "Blood Ties" -- as Natalie (to be released in Oct. 2013)
3. "Family Guy" -- as the voice of Meg Griffin (1999-present)
4. "Oz the Great and Powerful" -- as Theodora (2013)
5. "Ted" -- as Lori Collins (2012)
6. "Robot Chicken" -- multiple parts (2005-2011)
7. "Friends with Benefits" -- as Jamie (2011)
9. "Date Night" -- as Whippit (2010)
10. "The Book of Eli" -- as Solara (2010)
11. "Extract" -- as Cindy (2009)
12. "Max Payne" -- as Mona Sax (2008)
13. "Boot »
When the stars of the squared circle try their hand at cinema, the results can be mixed
They may have made their names by dressing up in spandex and pretending to hit other men, but professional wrestlers are some of the most engaging performers in the entertainment world.
Some of the industry's biggest stars have made the transition from the squared-circle to the silver screen, with varying degrees of success – and quality.
Here are five of the most memorable films starring professional wrestlers – can you think of any others? Let us know in the thread below.
1. Mr Nanny
It's odd to think that a man who looked constantly sunburnt and sported a bleached Fu Manchu moustache could be such a hit with the kids, but Hulk Hogan was a huge star in the 80s and 90s, when Hulkmania ran wild across the globe.
Hogan's film credits read like an essay in naffness: Suburban Commando, »
- Guardian readers
That's right, "Disaster Movie," at least according to IMDb users who voted. The comedy, a send-up of disaster flicks, received 55,112 votes. But here's the more interesting part. Paris Hilton topped the charts with two movies appearing in the Top 10 namely "The Hottie & the Nottie" and 2006's "Pledge This."
So without further adieu, here's your Top 100 Worst Movies of All Time!
Rank Rating Title Votes
1. 1.9 Disaster Movie (2008) 55,112
2. 1.9 The Hottie & the Nottie (2008) 27,996
3. 1.9 Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2 (2004) 20,247
4. 1.9 Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) 27,348
5. 1.9 Pledge This! (2006) 13,121
6. 1.9 Die Hard Dracula (1998) 2,641
7. 1.9 Birdemic: Shock and Terror (2010) 4,842
8. 1.9 Anne B. Real (2003) 3,325
9. 1.9 From Justin to Kelly (2003) 21,887
10. 1.9 Going Overboard (1989) 7,713
11. 1.9 Track of the Moon Beast (1976) 2,272
12. 1.9 Boggy Creek II: And the Legend Continues (1985) 2,021
13. 1.9 The Maize: The Movie (2004) 2,284
14. 1.9 The Pod People (1983) 3,089
15. 1.9 The Wild World of Batwoman (1966) 3,097
16. 1.9 Turks in Space (2006) 9,634
17. 1.9 Who's Your Caddy? (2007) 12,991
18. 1.9 The Creeping Terror (1964) 2,764
19. 1.9 Crossover (2006) 8,350
20. 1.9 Girl in Gold Boots (1968) 2,532
21. 2.0 Miss Castaway and the Island Girls (2004) 1,945
22. 2.0 Space Mutiny (1988) 4,376
23. 2.0 Daniel - Der Zauberer (2004) 12,159
24. 2.0 The Starfighters (1964) 2,726
25. 2.0 Fat Slags »
7 items from 2013
IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.See our NewsDesk partners