IMDb > Sabrina the Teenage Witch (1996) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Sabrina the Teenage Witch (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Sabrina rocks!

Author: Tania Jones from UK
8 April 2004

I don't know why everyone's being so hard on this movie. No it's not like the TV series, but come on, this was made BEFORE the TV series as a movie all on its own, of course it's different. Instead of endlessly comparing it to the TV show and complaining, why not try letting it stand on it's own?

I actually really like this movie, so much so that I recently bought it on DVD. I thought it was really cute. It doesn't try to be anything it's not. It's simple, but for me that worked. For me the cast meshed very well together. Back when this movie was made Melissa Joan Hart was young enough to be able to pull off playing a TEENAGE witch and she did a really good job. Melissa Joan Hart was so sweet in this film, she was cute but not too much, and her acting was just fine. I really enjoyed Michelle Beaudoin as Marnie, Sabrina's best friend. Beaudoin had great chemsitry with Hart and it was very easy to believe their friendship, which felt very natural. I also thought Lalainia Lindbjerg was super as the malicious Queen Bee character Katie and Ryan Reynolds was great as hunky Seth, while Tobias Mehler was perfect as Harvey. My only complaint is that I found Sherry Miller and Charlene Fernetz really bland and uninteresting as the aunts. They weren't so bad but I'm not that keen on them either.

The storyline was good enough...Sabrina Saywer is relatively new in River Dale. She has a crush on Seth, a senior and the hottest guy in school. But Seth is invovled with Queen Bee Katie, however when Katie breaks up with him Seth begins noticing Sabrina. When Sabrina uses her newly discovered magical powers to win a track competition, Seth asks her to the Spring Fling dance at school but by this time Sabrina's unsure if Seth really is the guy for her. All the while poor Harvey, who's liked Sabrina all along, has to wait to see if Sabrina will have a change of heart.

Sabrina, The Teenage Witch plays very much like a chick flick aimed at young teens. It clearly was made on a low budget but it still (in my opinion) looked good and it's just a cute movie that's fun if you have some time on your hands. Try and watch it with an open mind, forget about the TV show while you do, and don#t judge this little bit of fluff too harshly. You might just enjoy it.

Sabrina, The Teenage Witch, The Movie.

Author: famousgir1 from London, England
19 March 2002

Sabrina, The Teenage Witch, well, of course the movie is about Sabrina, a teenage girl who is sent to live with her two strange aunts. Whilst there, on her sixteenth birthday, Sabrina finds out she's a witch. At first, she doesn't know what to think, but she soon gets used to it. It's good that Melissa Joan Hart who also plays Sabrina in the TV Show, of the same name plays Sabrina here too as she really suits the role. It's a shame we don't have the likes of Jenna Leigh Green here though who played Libby Chessler for a few years on Sabrina, the TV Show, as she was really great, but fans of the show will most likely like this movie, anyway. I also think this is better then some of the other Sabrina TV movies.

Set the course for a great TV show

Author: Cyprus386 from USA
17 April 2000

I do think the the TV series based on this TV flick is better, but this movie did set the course for laugh-out-loud comedy series. Most of the casting is messed up, except for Michelle Beaudoin as Marny, Sabrina's best friend. Michelle went on to play Sabrina's best friend Jenny for a season, which was good. However, the voice of Salem in this one was all wrong! The voice in the show is much better.

I agree. The TV show's much better.

Author: kenny_c_hueholt
6 December 2001

I hate to admit it, but I agree with most of the comments here. Rather than Caroline Rhea and Beth Broderick as the aunts, Nick Bakay as Salem, we have an entirely different cast. The only ones that are the same as they appeared on the show were Melissa Joan Hart and Michelle Beudoin. But there are quite a few notable differences. Sabrina Sawyer instead of Sabrina Spellman, a British Salem instead of the one we all know and love. The movie was okay, but it just doesn't compare to the greatness of the TV show. I recommend "Sabrina Goes to Rome" or "Sabrina Down Under." Those movies are more up-to-date.

Show vs Movie

Author: TaleraRis from Indianapolis, IN
22 October 2006

I think the previous comments can be explained by some clarification. Sabrina, the Teenage Witch the movie came first. Given the popularity of the movie, a TV show spawned off of it (much the same as what happened with Buffy, the movie was first) and the cast changes and other changes were made. I liked the series, but it's important to note that since Sabrina was already popular by that point because of the movie, the series had the opportunity to be much more polished and complete. Taken with that in mind, it's much easier to enjoy the movie as the delightful first romp through the Sabrina world that it is, rather than comparing to the much-improved later works.

What were they doing?! Obviously not thinking straight.....

Author: cchristensen_88 from United States
12 December 2007

I do like this movie, but I don't think that they did a very good job at making the movie to a TV series and what I mean is that Harvey isn't the same person he is a nerd in this movie has like no friends and not that cute. In the TV series Harvey is basically the opposite. Sabrina's last name isn't even Spellman in this movie. The aunts aren't as comical in this movie and are obviously not the same actresses Hilda is smart and Zelda is more ditsy in this movie and the actresses chosen to play Hilda and Zelda look like they should of been switched around....this Hilda looks more like the TV Zelda and this Zelda looks more like the TV Hilda. Sabrina cant just think about something she wants and point she has to make up an incantation for every little thing she wants, I'm thinking an incantation for ice cream is going to sound like a bad rap song. Salem is not as amusing and was turned into a witch familiar for using magic to win a girls heart and kissing her when she wasn't his true love or something it sounds more like when Sabrina first kisses Harvey in the TV show and turns him into a frog and the only way for him to be human again is true love. I think Salem is a bore compared to the evil,self-centered,world dominating Salem everyone knows and loves on TV. Also in this movie Sabrina's parents are both witches and have to go on a sabbatical cause she has to go to someone to train her to use her magic on TV her mom is mortal and dad is a witch and the woman who plays his girlfriend Gayle is the same as this movie's aunt Zelda, but the reason she's with her aunts on TV is cause she can't see her mother or her mom turns into wax and her dad is busy working in the magic book so he's like stuck in the book yeah its different but its still a lot more interesting than what is happening with her dad in this movie. I love Sabrina the teenage witch I just think its obvious that some people weren't thinking at all when they made this movie then switched it to a TV series.

Against my expectations, I actually enjoyed this movie

Author: president242007 from Australia
12 April 2004

I must provide one of the dissenting voices here as an individual who actually enjoyed this movie as relaxing and light entertainment even though the character development had a few flaws, the script could have been improved at times and the plot was essentially one that had been explored in many different contexts. It is infinitely better than the subsequent `Sabrina' movie that was produced and I actually came away quite impressed with the quality of the acting

Indeed I think it was the quality of the acting that turned this movie from what could have been an exceedingly weak teenage movie into one that was entertaining and enjoyable. While usually not a fan of Melissa Joan Hart, she actually provided some high quality acting here and gave her character a real personality and a dimension that was very enjoyable to witness. Michelle Beaudoin also was excellent in her role, as was Ryan Reynolds as Seth and Tobias Mehler as Harvey. And Lalaina Lindbjergh provides an excellent portrayal of quintessential snob Katie Lemore. The only major criticism I have is to do with Seth's character development later on in the movie but I won't give that away because it would be classified as a spoiler.

Yet I think it was Sherry Miller and Charlene Fernetz who really provided the most excellent, comprehensive and in depth portrayals of their respective characters. The two gave the characters of Aunt Hilda and Aunt Zelda so much creativity, depth, imagination and appeal –as well as an elegance and grace that went well beyond what the scriptwriters had in mind. Aunt Hilda and Aunt Zelda completely stole the show and it was a shame we didn't see more of the excellent acting of Miller and Fernetz in this movie –and indeed that we haven't heard more from Miller and Fernetz on the acting scene. They are truly wonderful first class actresses –I can't commend them highly enough.

Sure, the plot was predictable, but the acting made up for it in my view. If you are looking for some light and enjoyable entertainment for younger audiences, this movie quite definitely fits the bill.

RE: Sabrina Movie's

Author: CJ-80 (worker292@aol.com) from USA
27 September 1999

I would love to own the series of films that Melissa Joan Hart has been in. IE: Sabrina Goes To Rome, Right Connections, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Sabrina Goes to Austrailia (to save the mermaid colony), and of course I would like the family to go to the theatre to see Drive me Crazy which is coming out soon. I am a disabled father of three young children and the entertainment provided by these shows are very entertaining and enjoyable.

Thanks! CJ

If you love the series, you'll love the movie!

Author: ashleyparsons115 from United States
3 March 2011

I myself grew up watching the Sabrina the Teenage Witch episodes. If you are a big fan of Melissa Joan Hart or love the series then you will definitely love this movie. The movie takes place at the beginning when Sabrina just discovers that she is a witch. It is very interesting to see how she copes with it and what she goes through. However not all of the main characters in the show make it to the movie since the movie was created first. The voice of Salem you can also tell is off. But, it is a great started movie to the series. I loved watching it.

If you like Sabrina, then watch this movie. It will amaze you. It is magical.

Stays true to the comic!!!!!

Author: animegurls from United States
1 April 2010

This movie was really good. It stayed very true to the comic of which it was based on. Most of the characters personalities stayed the same from the comic to the movie. Only difference is Harvey is a bit more like his character in show. The other difference (and something that is the same in the comic that is TV series) Sabrina's last name is Spellman not Sowyer. Other than the last name thing the movie stayed true to the comics and the Archie world in general. I have nothing against the TV show it was very good but still the comics are way better. That's why I like the movie so much. I dislike how people are majorly comparing the movie to the TV show. It's just comparing Buffy the vampire slayer the movie to the TV series. Both movies were the reason why we have these great TV shows (agian not the biggest fan of Sabrina the TV series but it was great as far as TV shows of the 90s go).