IMDb > The Rock (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Rock

The Rock More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 41: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

YOWZAS!

Author: James Llewellyn (leonidas021182@aol.com) from Paris, France
22 August 2001

Yep!Most definately one of the best films I have ever seen, I mean wow! Sean Connery...it has to be good! LOL Anyways the film had a great storyline and I understood every moment unlike other films where one can find various plot-holes! The performances from Sean Connery and Nicolas Cage were fantastic and the FBI director was weaselly enough for the part! This film had a top storyline,top cast and a top soundtrack which "ROCKS" heh heh funny eh??ok no....I tried!LOL

An *action* movie...

Author: sirtuba from Seattle, Wa
14 August 2001

Some people think that this is a terrible movie. People say that the point of the car chase was to destroy things. Of course it was! The Rock is an *action* movie. You are supposed to see thing blow up, people shot, cars being crashed. As for the fact that the director changes camera angles often: it adds to the action. It's a boring action movie seeing one shot of an explosion. You want to see the thing being blown up, and then the people's expressions as they run away.

To sum up my thoughts: It's an action movie, not a drama. Judge the movie according to its genre.

My Favorite Movie!!!!!!!!

Author: whodaman8000 from Calgary, Alberta
14 August 2001

This movie is a great movie with great acting, a great plot, and great... well everything. If you want a movie that will keep you on the edge of your feet and will keep you entertained for two hours then choose the Rock. Not only is it action packed but it also has an excellent plot which lots of action movies need. Sean Connery and Nicolas Cage were great!!!

Superb acting, excellent writing, great plot. 'The Rock' Kicks ass.

Author: dmxtinction (finalhate@aol.com) from New York, USA
8 August 2001

This film is SADLY Underrated. An explosive thrill ride. Captivating from beginning to it's end. This movie easily could have been another action movie thrown together to make money. Every aspect of 'The Rock' shines; The performances are phenomonal, Hanz Zimmer's Composing is amazing(I highly suggest going to downloading the main theme off any file sharing)the direction is good, the charactors are well developed, solid, unlike a hulking retard who walks around aimlessly with a huge machine gun such as rambo...Any American will feel compassion about American soldiers losing their lives and not being honored or remembered Which is a the cause of the action in the film. General Hummel "Possibly the greatest battalion commander of the vietnam war". A great military leader who was very successful in his aray of missions. For the troops that died under his command during blackOps missions (blackops meaning secret, planned and prepared by the US Goverenment, but never made public) were never given medals, money to their families "These men died for their country and weren't even given a military burial." Hummel puts together his own team of troops and takes over Alcatraz with 81 hostages and 14VX Gas Warheads and demands the money from the U.S. Government. Brilliant job to everybody involved in the production. 'The Rock' is my favorite movie of all time. Hats off Connery, Cage, Hans Zimmer, Micheal Bay, David Morse, and

DON SIMPSON!

Actioner a league ahead of the others!

Author: valkilmersbrain from CA
21 July 2001

Wow! The Rock is one of the most rewatchable films I own. I've watched it countlessly, and it seems to have the quick, energizing effect of a good song that we love to play again and again. The dialogue is at times funny, always fresh, and sometimes intelligent. This film shines as an actioner that actually has a great, plausible plot, with some characters we wouldn't mind following on a journey. (I really liked Sean Connery's character; maybe a sequel with "Mr.John Mason"?)

And then there are the heavyweights in acting, a rarity in action films. Ed Harris, Sean Connery, Nic Cage, and a few others are so talented in reading their lines in a unique way, one can see that these are truly great actors. I loved Ed Harris' character, since it was not the standard black & white type, but a complex person. Who would've thought I'd be saying "complex" in an actioner? Well, that's how The Rock surprises you, like a vicious left hook to the face. Oh yeah, the Hans Zimmer score is a knockout, as always.

Wham bam, thank you Connery

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
15 January 2001

The Rock has what people go to the movies for (well, the majority anyway), big action, good characters and reused plot stuffers, not to mention Sean Connery. While I can't say I thought everything in the Rock was great, I must say it did give a good show. Ed Harris plays a disgruntled Marine who holds Alcatraz hostage and only Biochemist Cage and Connery (the only man to escape it) can save it's hostages. Big, loud and often Hokey, however it is gripping overall. A-

My favorite action movie of all time.

Author: Leonidos from Oklahoma
10 December 2000

At first glance and especially according to it's trailer The Rock appears at first to be the generic shoot-em-up, explosion laden, Swiss-cheese plot, mindless action film. Fortunately, why there is no shortage of action, the film spends enough time with it's characters that is also a half way decent movie. Nicholas Cage is an FBI chemical weapons specialist. Sean Connery is the British SAS officer who once escaped from the famed prison. Ed Harris is the Marine general who is tired of his men being ignored by the Pentagon. (possible spoilers ahead) Major Hummel (Harris), with the aid of some Marines, hijacks a bunch of chemical weapons rockets which he then places on Alcatraz island with the cover of a large number of tourist hostages. Stanley Goodspeed (Cage) is called in for his expertise and John Mason (Connery)is given a reprieve from his 30 year prison sentence due to his extensive knowledge of the island prison's inner sanctum. From here the story moves through mason's short escape from custody, but just long enough to visit his long-lost daughter. Michael Biehn, my favorite underrated actor, makes an appearance as the leader of the SEAL team sent to free the prison. Even though the SEAL's are predictably wiped out it is done quite plausibly and Mason and Goodspeed become a mismatched duo that is all that stands between Hummel's rockets and San Francisco. The rest of the movie is Goodspeed and Mason running around fighting off Marines and disabling rockets. While we don't agree with his methods the audience (and even the SEAL commander) sympathize with Hummel. All in all a fun movie with great action sequences that manages to maintain plausibility and a decent plot.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!"

The best Action movie ever made.

Author: Spagged from The Dark Side of the Moon
8 November 2000

I have to say is if you show me a better movie than this then you have shown me perfection. This is a great movie full of very cool moments and most of them include Nick Cage who I feel is a great actor. Not taking any thing away from Sean and Ed because they were also great.

Good action movie

Author: moviewiz-4 from New Zealand, Indonesia
21 October 2000

I've seen this couple of times before writing the review.

The story of courage and justice which the plots of these movie that make it very powerful action movie to watch. Sean and Nicolas acting are very imaginative and true as when seen from their previous movies. Only this part, Sean's character is a low profile person who enjoy action as much as the other characters from the movie, it is much more different from his previous movie.

I can say the plot is absolutely brilliant.

Lots of A-Dime-A-Dozen Makeovers, Killed the Charm of this Magnificent Action Movie

Author: bavi-2 from Nahariya, Israel
12 September 2000

When I first saw "The Rock" at the theaters, I said to myself, "wow! that's one nasty movie" The action sequences were swirling, the dialogues were smart and sharp, and the soundtrack was a musical masterpiece! All those things went through my mind before I witnessed Nicolas Cage's post-"The Rock" career, which included really lousy films like "Con Air" and "Snake Eyes"... and that was the first time I saw John Spencer as Womack (sure, his various characters are'nt named "Womack", but hell, he plays the same role over and over again!). the same goes for the rest of this film's supporting cast, which is reincarnating itslef in almost ever Jerry Bruckheimer productions. The editing, the dialogues, the characters, the soundtrack and sometimes even the plot appear in every single action movie that is out at the theaters today... "The Rock" was so powerful at his time, that he stained the whole genre of action films, which makes these films, including "The Rock" hard to watch these days, only four years after the premiere...