IMDb > Race the Sun (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Race the Sun More at IMDbPro »

Another chance to see Halle Berry

Author: lastliberal from United States
14 April 2007

OK, not the greatest movie in the world, and the outcome is fairly predictable, but it was another opportunity to see Halle Berry, and I cannot pass that up. Besides that, I am trying to get my teaching certificate, so I watch teacher movies, no matter how silly.

I understand that it is also based upon a true story.

In addition, it also featured Eliza Dushku (Buffy, Tru Calling), Casey Affleck (brother of Ben), and James Belushi.

It wasn't memorable, but it was cute and not a total waste of time. Also, it was written by Barry Morrow, a member of the Association of Retarded Citizens, the National Association of Social Workers, and the Austism Society of America - a lifelong advocate for the rights of persons with disabilities. That puts him solidly in my camp as I am also a member of NASW and work with the developmentally disabled. Morrow won an Oscar for writing Rain Man.

A sweet little flick

Author: dushkufan from Perth, Australia
8 February 2003

I thought that Race the Sun was a cute little movie; ironically I've read on-line that it's how poor Eliza Dushku became addicted to cigarettes at age 15! Anyways, the Australian outback is portrayed well (duh,' twas filmed in Sydney I also heard!) Race the Sun is a timeless family movie; based loosley around the true story of a group of under-achieving haawian school-kids who set out to win a solar car race in Australia

After School Special

Author: CaptionsGirl from Burbank, CA
7 January 2002

I give this movie a C+. It is a cute after-school special type of movie. The most amusing part is the terrible German accent Steve Zahn affects. Other than that, I'd say it's good for your 10 year old audience.

Predictable but harmless.

Author: gridoon
12 October 2001

This movie is utterly, drearily predictable, but it's pretty harmless as well. You've seen this story many times before, and seeing it once more won't hurt, since it's reasonably well-told here. The enthusiastic cast helps a lot, and Halle Berry.....well, let's just say that she's a feast for the eyes. (**)

Better than I expected

Author: skeetsmiller from United States
2 July 2001

I do have to admit that the only reason I rented Race the Sun was because Sara Tanaka( Margaret Yang from "Rushmore")was in it. Rushmore is one of my favorite movies, but I especially think that Sara Tanaka was good in it. Well anyway, back to the review, I heard quite a lot of negative things about the movies, but I decided to check it out anyway. I was quite surprised. The story about a group of poor students from Hawaii competing in a solar-car race in Australia was well-acted, interesting, and fun. I was kind of disappointed that Sara Tanaka wasn't given enough screentime, but it was still quite an entertaining movie, and Sara Tanaka gave another good performance.

Enjoyable but dubious Australian accents.

Author: startide from Australia
25 September 2000

The worst thing about this movie is the accent the American producers obviously thought Robert Hughes needed in his role as a journalist, I have NEVER heard an Australian accent like this ever. It's cringey, and cliched but an okay film. Think Cool Runnings in the Outback.

Good Movie

Author: robin bazard from hawaii
13 February 1999

I guess I can relate to this movie being it's based on a true story of some kids from Hawaii (where I'm from) building a solar energized car. When you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything. Do not be itimidated by anyone or anything. It's kind of funny hearing the kids talk the local slang. Hows it!

Very enjoyable indeed.

Author: Enoch Law from Sydney, Australia
2 October 1998

'Race the Sun' is a very enjoyable movie indeed. The story of overcoming adversity and succeeding to overturn stereotypes is given a new application here through the across-Australia solar challenge. The young cast does an attractive, appealing job, and are extremely good to watch. So too are the on-location shots in outback Australia which are nothing but superb. The music is also extremely apt and provide a fabulous atmosphere for the film. A great family movie. 8 out of 10.

Not so much Halle's movie

Author: Musiq_One from United Kingdom
19 April 2004

The opening begins with Halle as Sandra Beecher fleeing from a broken marriage and setting up new in a working class section of Hawaii.

The English teacher takes a job as a Science teacher and at this point I'm thinking "Dangerous Minds: Hawaiian Style." The classroom is similar a working class neighbourhood, run down school and disruptive kids. But Ms Beecher, who takes the lead in the first quarter of the movie tries to inspire the kids and butts heads with James Belushi's Frank Machi. The experienced engineering teacher.

The rest of the movie really belongs to the kids. After a clash between a rich school at a science fair Ms Beecher makes the kids go to they are inspired to build a solar power car to race in and earn their school a better rep. Leading this pack is outcasted, because he's white, ambitious Daniel Webster superbly played by Casey Affleck and the heartwarming, Gilbert a standout character played by J. Moki Cho (who unfortunatley does not have much of a filmography at this point). Roped in is the troubled sister of Daniel, Cindy with a solid peformance by Eliza Dushku and a whole host of other characters each one memorable and stand out. Together they build their hopes, learn from each other and not too sound cheesy but they really do race the sun.

This would have been a great family film had it not been for the language. But if that doesn't put you off then I would suggest watching it with them. It really is a a good solid movie. I watched it over a week ago at 3am because i couldn't sleep but it still has stuck with me.

Boring plot, bad characters

Author: alexis-368-973240
12 May 2012

Interesting idea for a movie: An out-of-this world science fair project being put to the test. However, there are too many events in the movie. There always has to be some kind of issue or dilemma every five-ten minutes, making the movie very tiring to watch. Solar cars are cool, but a full-length feature film about making one doesn't strike me as interesting. The main character cannot work with the rest of the team (annoying) and there is too much DRAMA. I have no doubt that other movies have been made about THE ULTIMATE COMPETITION or WHO IS GOING TO WIN THE TROPHY. Too many movies have used this kind of plot and there is nothing new. There are no interesting scientific facts either about electric cars that make the movie unique.

The ending is predictable and the acting could use some work too.