IMDb > Race the Sun (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Race the Sun More at IMDbPro »

Nice Little Film

Author: aimless-46 from Kentucky
21 May 2007

For curious movie buffs, "Race the Sun" is a blend of "Breaking Away", "Walkabout", and "Summer School"; making it quite unique and considerably better than its rating. It's neither ambitious nor technically brilliant; in fact the cinematography somehow manages to NOT capture the inherent scenic beauty of a series of Hawaiian and Australian locations. But the casting and directing are solid and the story has so much charm that you don't mind it being corny and predictable.

Halle Berry and James Belushi play teachers at a Hawaiian technical high school who reluctantly sponsor a team of students building a solar-powered car. "Race the Sun" was inspired by a group of Hawaiian students who actually entered the World Solar Challenge in 1980. The film would have been better if the cartoonish corporate villain had been replaced by some actual scientific explanations and a bit of background on the race itself. Speaking of cartoons, the solar cars look like something out of "Wacky Races" but there is no sign of Penelope Pitstop in this entertaining race.

The school is in Hawaii, which makes for some interesting cultural details (as does the race's Austrialian setting), but for viewer identification purposes the settings could be anywhere.

Thankfully the film avoids a couple of obvious traps. Berry and Belushi end up liking and respecting each other but there are no obligatory romantic sparks between them. Likewise for Casey Affleck and Elisha Dushku-who plays his step-sister.

Then again, what do I know? I'm only a child.

After School Special

Author: CaptionsGirl from Burbank, CA
7 January 2002

I give this movie a C+. It is a cute after-school special type of movie. The most amusing part is the terrible German accent Steve Zahn affects. Other than that, I'd say it's good for your 10 year old audience.

Predictable but harmless.

Author: gridoon
12 October 2001

This movie is utterly, drearily predictable, but it's pretty harmless as well. You've seen this story many times before, and seeing it once more won't hurt, since it's reasonably well-told here. The enthusiastic cast helps a lot, and Halle Berry.....well, let's just say that she's a feast for the eyes. (**)

Fine, for what it is

Author: Boyo-2
26 February 2001

The theme for this movie is as old as the sun itself, but that does not prevent the viewer from caring about the outcome. The movie is harmless (think "Rocky" on wheels) and has a great cast, all of whom give it their all.

I wouldn't run out and buy a copy but you get to see some great young actors and some nice Australian scenery.

Would have liked it better without the added predictable formula add-ins.

Author: rogerlovlie from Canada
17 August 2012

Would have liked it better without the added predictable formula add-ins. Loosely based on the Konawaena high school team. In 1989, the High School formed a team of students, faculty and community advisers. Using a grant from the State of Hawaii, the team built a final vehicle that won a three and a half day state race against five other schools. As a result of the victory, the State of Hawaii funded the team for the 1990 World Solar Challenge, a 2000 mile race from Darwin to Adelaide, Australia. The team placed 18th overall winning the World Champion high school division. The first high school to officially finish the World Solar Challenge. I give it a 5 only because they added enough non-factual elements to make many viewers unaware of the true story behind it.

Nice - if that's a compliment

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
1 August 2001

I only watched this cause I noticed Halle Berry in it. However it was a "nice " film, with a "nice" story and a "nice" moral....it's just so nice! It's not great and it's all been done before but it's reasonably enjoyable while it's on. You'll forget it after an hour though

Boring plot, bad characters

Author: alexis-368-973240
12 May 2012

Interesting idea for a movie: An out-of-this world science fair project being put to the test. However, there are too many events in the movie. There always has to be some kind of issue or dilemma every five-ten minutes, making the movie very tiring to watch. Solar cars are cool, but a full-length feature film about making one doesn't strike me as interesting. The main character cannot work with the rest of the team (annoying) and there is too much DRAMA. I have no doubt that other movies have been made about THE ULTIMATE COMPETITION or WHO IS GOING TO WIN THE TROPHY. Too many movies have used this kind of plot and there is nothing new. There are no interesting scientific facts either about electric cars that make the movie unique.

The ending is predictable and the acting could use some work too.

A decent film, worth renting at least

Author: lynxravenraide from Australia
18 April 2007

When I first saw the film I found it to be interesting, especially since it is set on a famous race. Story isn't bad, a bit of fun as an Australian seeing Americans deal with the conditions here ("What's a Willy Willy?""I don't know"), kind of a fish out of water situation. My only bone of contention is the settings for filming. I am disappointed as a former South Australian, that they didn't use the proper locations of Alice Springs and Adelaide, instead using Broken Hill and Sydney respectively, and I also have a feeling they used Sydney International for the Darwin airport. Also, another inaccuracy, the race is actually run along the Stuart Highway, which is sealed for its entire length

Filmed in my town, actually did enjoy it!

Author: cturle from Australia
5 June 2006

when this movie was being filmed on the streets of my Town, Broken Hill. i believe it's the scene where the main kid is offered a bribe and hes sitting under a statue. This movie was a Big Thing and when released they played it for about two and a half months....i seriously thought it was an awesome movie. and saw it three times. but now looking back i realised that it is just a regular story of the lowest rising up to the top. so its regular stuff yet pretty entertaining. mainly cause i knew what "Road Trains" meant. all in all it was an entertaining film. Halle Berry did very well, yet it was just a money spender all the same

A Great Movie!!!

Author: tristen12_34 from United States
6 August 2005

I saw this movie some time ago and it has stuck with me. Even though it was fictional, it was a heartwarming story. It just goes to show you what can happen when people pull together, even though you are from different heritages and backgrounds. I would recommend this to everyone, young or old. We could all learn from these kids. It is one that I will definitely purchase for my home collection. I loved the beautiful scenery too. Halle Berry, James Belushi and the rest of the cast are just terrific. If you ever wanted to see a movie that left you rooting for the underdog, this is the one to watch. I don't think you would be disappointed at all.