IMDb > Race the Sun (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Race the Sun More at IMDbPro »

Very entertaining and funny

Author: Israel Yang (israelyang@yahoo.com) from Toronto, Canada
30 June 2003

The funnest line in the movie I think is when Steve Zahn says There is a God, then... Well to me it's not really predictable and many times I thought that's yes something new happens, so it never ran out of surprise. I had fun watching it. And my, Gilbert's character is such a whooly-wooly.(meaning, herlarious)

Nice Little Film

Author: aimless-46 from Kentucky
21 May 2007

For curious movie buffs, "Race the Sun" is a blend of "Breaking Away", "Walkabout", and "Summer School"; making it quite unique and considerably better than its rating. It's neither ambitious nor technically brilliant; in fact the cinematography somehow manages to NOT capture the inherent scenic beauty of a series of Hawaiian and Australian locations. But the casting and directing are solid and the story has so much charm that you don't mind it being corny and predictable.

Halle Berry and James Belushi play teachers at a Hawaiian technical high school who reluctantly sponsor a team of students building a solar-powered car. "Race the Sun" was inspired by a group of Hawaiian students who actually entered the World Solar Challenge in 1980. The film would have been better if the cartoonish corporate villain had been replaced by some actual scientific explanations and a bit of background on the race itself. Speaking of cartoons, the solar cars look like something out of "Wacky Races" but there is no sign of Penelope Pitstop in this entertaining race.

The school is in Hawaii, which makes for some interesting cultural details (as does the race's Austrialian setting), but for viewer identification purposes the settings could be anywhere.

Thankfully the film avoids a couple of obvious traps. Berry and Belushi end up liking and respecting each other but there are no obligatory romantic sparks between them. Likewise for Casey Affleck and Elisha Dushku-who plays his step-sister.

Then again, what do I know? I'm only a child.

Nice - if that's a compliment

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
1 August 2001

I only watched this cause I noticed Halle Berry in it. However it was a "nice " film, with a "nice" story and a "nice" moral....it's just so nice! It's not great and it's all been done before but it's reasonably enjoyable while it's on. You'll forget it after an hour though

Fine, for what it is

Author: Boyo-2
26 February 2001

The theme for this movie is as old as the sun itself, but that does not prevent the viewer from caring about the outcome. The movie is harmless (think "Rocky" on wheels) and has a great cast, all of whom give it their all.

I wouldn't run out and buy a copy but you get to see some great young actors and some nice Australian scenery.

Would have liked it better without the added predictable formula add-ins.

Author: rogerlovlie from Canada
17 August 2012

Would have liked it better without the added predictable formula add-ins. Loosely based on the Konawaena high school team. In 1989, the High School formed a team of students, faculty and community advisers. Using a grant from the State of Hawaii, the team built a final vehicle that won a three and a half day state race against five other schools. As a result of the victory, the State of Hawaii funded the team for the 1990 World Solar Challenge, a 2000 mile race from Darwin to Adelaide, Australia. The team placed 18th overall winning the World Champion high school division. The first high school to officially finish the World Solar Challenge. I give it a 5 only because they added enough non-factual elements to make many viewers unaware of the true story behind it.

Another chance to see Halle Berry

Author: lastliberal from United States
14 April 2007

OK, not the greatest movie in the world, and the outcome is fairly predictable, but it was another opportunity to see Halle Berry, and I cannot pass that up. Besides that, I am trying to get my teaching certificate, so I watch teacher movies, no matter how silly.

I understand that it is also based upon a true story.

In addition, it also featured Eliza Dushku (Buffy, Tru Calling), Casey Affleck (brother of Ben), and James Belushi.

It wasn't memorable, but it was cute and not a total waste of time. Also, it was written by Barry Morrow, a member of the Association of Retarded Citizens, the National Association of Social Workers, and the Austism Society of America - a lifelong advocate for the rights of persons with disabilities. That puts him solidly in my camp as I am also a member of NASW and work with the developmentally disabled. Morrow won an Oscar for writing Rain Man.

A decent film, worth renting at least

Author: lynxravenraide from Australia
18 April 2007

When I first saw the film I found it to be interesting, especially since it is set on a famous race. Story isn't bad, a bit of fun as an Australian seeing Americans deal with the conditions here ("What's a Willy Willy?""I don't know"), kind of a fish out of water situation. My only bone of contention is the settings for filming. I am disappointed as a former South Australian, that they didn't use the proper locations of Alice Springs and Adelaide, instead using Broken Hill and Sydney respectively, and I also have a feeling they used Sydney International for the Darwin airport. Also, another inaccuracy, the race is actually run along the Stuart Highway, which is sealed for its entire length

Filmed in my town, actually did enjoy it!

Author: cturle from Australia
5 June 2006

when this movie was being filmed on the streets of my Town, Broken Hill. i believe it's the scene where the main kid is offered a bribe and hes sitting under a statue. This movie was a Big Thing and when released they played it for about two and a half months....i seriously thought it was an awesome movie. and saw it three times. but now looking back i realised that it is just a regular story of the lowest rising up to the top. so its regular stuff yet pretty entertaining. mainly cause i knew what "Road Trains" meant. all in all it was an entertaining film. Halle Berry did very well, yet it was just a money spender all the same

A Great Movie!!!

Author: tristen12_34 from United States
6 August 2005

I saw this movie some time ago and it has stuck with me. Even though it was fictional, it was a heartwarming story. It just goes to show you what can happen when people pull together, even though you are from different heritages and backgrounds. I would recommend this to everyone, young or old. We could all learn from these kids. It is one that I will definitely purchase for my home collection. I loved the beautiful scenery too. Halle Berry, James Belushi and the rest of the cast are just terrific. If you ever wanted to see a movie that left you rooting for the underdog, this is the one to watch. I don't think you would be disappointed at all.

Great movie, very enjoyable.

Author: lonewolf126 from Sydney, Australia
2 July 2000

I loved this movie. The basic story is a group of Hawaiian high school students that go to Australia for the World Solar Challenge. The young up and coming actors were very good and the story was nice. Not to mention the Australian scenery is absolutely beautiful. Great movie!