IMDb > Plump Fiction (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Worst movie ever

Author: MickeyQ from Bergen, Norway
5 November 2002

I consider myself to have a decent sense of humor, but this "movie" left me stunned in my chair.

It's so bad that it could just not have been any worse. Not once did I laugh at the sadly attempted jokes in this movie. I have watched and enjoyed several parodies of big movies, but unfortunately this one will allways be the one I remember best - in my nightmares.

The only reason anyone should want to watch this, is if they want to enter a coma for a brief period of time.

This is the worst movie ever.

Why did I waste my time...

Author: Demke from Tennessee
10 September 1999

I took a chance on this movie because of Tommy Davidson... This movie was awful. It wasn't even good enough to be called "poor". I enjoy "spoof" films, but this wasn't even funny. I believe I laughed twice. Once because my friend hit his head on the ceiling fan, and the second time was because I either had to laugh or cry at the $3.00 I wasted renting this movie. For the love of God and all that is holy... do not rent this movie.

Well, what can I say?

Author: Thursday (davbjo@gmail.com) from Karlskoga, Sweden
11 March 2001

It's painfully obvious that the people who made this "movie" have never seen such brilliant spoofs as "The Naked Gun" and "Hot Shots". This movie is terrible, and so are the actors. They wouldn't know acting even if it hit them in the face, as I felt like doing while watching this total pile of rubbish.

The movie is stupid and has no humor in it what so ever. I'm SURE that I could make a better movie with my friends. To me it's amazing that a movie can fail this much. Not a single clever or funny line. No trace of intelligence behind it. It's a pathetic movie and I'd like to meet the person who actually likes this movie. Yuck!

This movie never should have been made!!

Author: Bradley-9 from Southern California
31 May 1999

Without a doubt, the WORST movie I have ever seen in my life. There was nothing entertaining about this film. I know it was supposed to be a comedy, but it actually made me cry at the thought of losing the $4.75 admission price.

Ed Wood presents Tarnatino's greatest hits (sort of)

Author: somehope from United States
16 August 2006

Compared to some of the Tarnatino rip-offs that advertise themselves as original, give PF credit for being the stupidest, and its pride in being one of the worst, weirdest low-budget films ever made. Granted, its stupid basically because of its inconsistency (why "Nell" and a Gump clone came into the story I'll never know and the "Reservior Nuns" section fades out after the "Monkees" theme really confuses me), but from what I understand of Ed Wood's bad movies they didn't make sense either. Still, PF has some amusing things going for it: 1.) the independent film café (with a good Walken impersonator and Priscillia, Queen of the Desserts who gives the sum of the movie's literal running gag: "It's been a crazy mixed-up day (reference to Pulp's time frames); 2.) wild acting by Julie Brown and some of then Comedy Central's show "Strip Mall"'s actors, Sandra Bernhard, Tommy Davidson, and "Strangers With Candy's Paul Dinello and many others (including the real Homer Simpson -- Dan Canstella); 3.) a weird mix of "Clerks" and Reality Bites" together; and 4.) an overall loving homage to everything QT at that time(including "Natural Born Killers" and "True Romance") ... except it's weird and inconsistent. Give it a shot for something ... original?

In comparison, Film Threat's "My Big Fat Independent Film" is a better Indies spoof, but for a weird homage to QT go with the Plump ... it's cult like a Ed Wood original.

"Those looking for a plot will be shot." -- Mark Twain, "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

This is a generous review.

Author: Tommy Nelson from Long Beach, California
14 August 2005

cast:Paul Dinello, Tommy Davidson, Julie Brown, Jennifer Rubin, Pamela Segall, Matthew Glave, Dan Castellaneta, Sandra Bernhard, Tim Kazurinsky, Robert Costanzo, Kevin Meaney, Colleen Camp, Jennifer Coolidge and Kane Picoy.

my review and plot summary:I love Pulp Fiction, therefore I was thrilled to see this movie. Like Pulp Fiction, we start out in a restaurant with a couple of folks talking, except instead of Tim Roth doing a monolouge, we have Sandra Bernhard, who was just so over the top with her cameo, it was scary. Other than her extremely poorly acted role, the other performers did a good job. Tommy Davidson did an excellent parody of Samuel L. Jackson and Robert Costanzo's small role as Montello(ala Marcellus) the exterminator boss was very funny. The script was pretty bad, but hey, it's a spoof. This movie follows three plot lines. The first is Jimmy Nova(Dinello) and Julius(Davidson) doing their job, then Jimmy taking out his boss's wife Mimi(Brown). The second is the Natural Blonde Killers, who are two tag team wrestlers who want to kill Gulliver Stone for making a movie about them, and they also win a match that bossman Montello payed them to lose. Pamella Segall plays Vallory and does a dead on Julliette Lewis. The third story is Reservoir Nuns, about strippers posing as nuns trying to get revenge that they deserve. One last notable performance is Kane Picoy doing another dead on role as Chris Walken Kringle. Also the choice of music in this movie is really good.

my review-2/4 stars. 76 minutes. rated R for violence, language and some relatively mild sexual innuendo.

Not that Bad!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
13 November 2006

I gave it a try a second time. Years had passed since I first bought the tape, look, it's a spoof of Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Forrest Gump, and other films. It's not supposed to be serious, it's supposed to stupid. I thought the nuns were funny trying to rob a bank. Sandra Bernhard plays the Amanda Plummer role from Pulp Fiction. Dan Castellanata plays the Forrest Gump character in this film. I love Julie Brown and I don't understand why she does not have a hit sitcom or is working as much as she is. Everybody remembers her from Just Say Julie show on MTV don't they, she's the funniest woman in Hollywood as we speak. Her role as Mimi Hungry is unforgettable. First, the movie is not meant to be taken seriously. It just wants to spoof Tarantino films and Oliver Stone's Natural Born Killers. Okay, it's not masterpiece theater but you can watch it.

Plump Fiction: 5/10

Author: movieguy1021 (Movieguy1021@comcast.net) from Anywhere, USA
7 July 2004

Ever since Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker broke up, we've been hard pressed to find good parody movies. The Scary Movies gave us a laugh or two, but nothing like Airplane! or The Naked Gun. Plump Fiction is a hit-or-miss parody of Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Natural Born Killers, and other violent, (usually) Tarantino movies. Some of it works, some doesn't, but after a while, you just want to quit.

Jimmy (Paul Dinello) and Julius (Tommy Davidson) are two exterminators who are sent by their boss Montello (Robert Costanzo) to eliminate rodents from Nicky (Matthew Glave) and Vallory (Pamela Segall) Cox's apartment. Jimmy also has to take Montello's plump wife Mimi (Julie Brown) out to lunch. Throw in some references to the overbudgeting of Waterworld, some Priscilla: Queen of the Desert and Forrest Gump, and that's Plump Fiction.

The movie starts off well. It's almost scene for scene with Pulp, and with some very funny bits poking fun at Pulp, such as Jimmy's fascination with telling people what they call things in different countries. Basically, most of the parodies are pretty funny, until about halfway through the movie. Then it gets boring, unfunny, and repetitive. The whole Reservoir Nuns gag was one of the worst things I've ever seen. It's just a bunch of people in nun outfits cursing. For ten minutes. Plump Fiction does have its moments, and Tommy Davidson is awesome, but ultimately, it fails in becoming a lasting parody. It's almost like an SNL skit turned movie. None of those work out.

My rating: 5/10

Rated R for strong language and violence.

Plus, there's Sandra

Author: Marquis Déjà Dû (marquis@sepulchritude.com) from Philadelphia
1 May 2000

All films should begin with an opening monologue by Sandra Bernhard. It's so hard to fail after the inimitable Sandra sets the mood. Parody such as Plump Fiction can either soar or fail miserably. I was pleasantly surprised to see PF in the former category. A clever script, an excellent cast, and a ubiquitous tongue in cheek kept this little underground gem glittering. Particularly memorable components were: well, the inclusion of Julie Brown, which is always a good thing; a brilliant and unexpected cameo by Jodie Foster's "Nell"; and the show-stealer was a brilliant send-up of Juliette Lewis's white trash Natural Born Killers heroine.

And then there's Sandra, of course.

Fiction of a different kind, I very much like

Author: videorama-759-859391 from adelaide, australia
6 February 2014

I can't believe how badly reviewed this film is, I'm actually taken aback. Honestly, it doesn't deserve to cop this flack. This spoof on QT's masterpiece, I know would do him proud. Actually you won't believe how funny this film is, until you see it. It's funnier than you expect in this much shorter film, still done chronologically to it's predecessor, with very long chunks taken out, in between, the impressively smart writers know they're stuff, throwing a lot of inventive gags, taking the p..s out of Fiction's leads, John, Samuel, Uma, while mocking some other '94 hits, One being Priscilla, and Ada from The Piano. It also sends up QT's former hits, Reservoir Dogs, and more so Natural Born Killers, Mickey and Mallory, wonderfully impersonated, especially Mallory where the two come up against Jimmy and Jules, a few times. After all they have a job, but's it's extermination of a different kind, where the latter mentioned, wuzz out, as they hit the ground running. Honestly, this movie is a laugh a thon, which even takes pokes at the Eric Stoltz, selling hash scene, where you really gotta see it to believe it. The Mia here has, as illustrated by the title, an insatiable appetite for food and sex. How the end comes together as to the start/Denny's scene, is just classic, it much betters the original. Even JJ appears, and we actually get to see what's in the briefcase. The actors are great, they so represent and perfectly imitate the others, some kind of award should be granted to them, evidence they're so many damn talented people in L.A. They are so many inventively different gags to the scenes, it's so smartly and comically written, the humour is just non stop. If a fan of Pulp Fiction, you owe to QT to watch this. Just see it, devoid of a lot of negative feedback. I know in my heart, Quentin would love this spoof. It may just whet your appetite or turn you off food forever. Even the prologue, doesn't escape a mocking, or Bernhard's poor loose script, that keeps taking a beating.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]