IMDb > One Fine Day (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
One Fine Day

One Fine Day More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Not all romantic comedies are created equal!

Author: Nobody-27 from California
16 October 2004

I would probably never decide to watch this film, had it not been for my wife who rented the DVD. Just like many others, I expect romantic comedies to be all the same - usually terribly unrealistic (talk about suspension of disbelief!) as in the Pretty Woman, and the humor to be 3rd grade.

But, One Fine Day, surprised me in many ways! First, it is not "I need insulin right now!" sweet. Also it is surprisingly relevant for today's world, and not targeted at teeny boppers.

One Fine Day is a film with a very smart script, funny dialogues, beautiful acting, directing, and it all gels well together. Most of the moviegoers today expect blood, gore, darkness of warped minds, and it seems that films which don't have that have a hard time getting a good review. It is time we step back, and enjoy some of the subtleties of life and people, and laugh at ourselves, when it's all presented in a believable and funny way.

The film takes us through "one fine day" of a single mother and her son, and a single father and his daughter. Due to his error, they miss their kids field trip and are, reluctantly, helping each other out take care of kids. While he obviously likes her but has a problem with trusting again, and a questionable flirting tactics, she is more obviously shell shocked and uses every opportunity to put him down. In a single day they both go through so many humbling episodes that the relationship develops from "I already have an opinion about you..." and "So do I..." to "I'll help you out if you say: 'Be my knight in shining armor...'"

The control freak named Melanie and played wonderfully by Michelle Pfeiffer, manages to stay likable even though she "beats every miserable bastard that comes her way to pulp". George Clooney has an easier time being liked as he is his pretty much usual self, but that's exactly what the character requires. Both kids were much better then I would normally expect them to be; I am always put off by artificial adult gestures and "too cool for you" acting of today's kids in Hollywood films, and expected that this time it will be the same, but it was not.

The humor of this film is subtle, and you may actually miss it altogether if you expect things to blow in your face. I loved those brief encounters between Melanie (Pfeiffer) and Celia (Amanda Peet) in which a beautiful perfectionist with a heart (Pfeiffer) meets her less polite match... Amanda Peet was also fantastic! Just notice how Pfeiffer's facial expression changes when she realizes who she's talking to. Another one to watch and enjoy is the episode with Melanie's boss.

Also, this film can be watched more then once, as there is a lot to appreciate about it.

ps. A scene at the shrink's office made me laugh like never before!

How this film should be appreciated

Author: rfysh
8 March 2004

This film is one of my favorites. I absolutely love it. I'm not entirely sure why i just find it really sweet and the two stars are both perfectly charming throughout. I used to have this on in the background whenever I did homework. Maybe I was just at that age when I was starting to appreciate romance when I saw it in the cinema (3 times) but I still feel this is one of the best romantic comedies I've ever seen and would definately recommend it to anyone. It's a great shame that a gem like this is so underrated. ALL of the acting is suberb. George clooney is entertaining as always in this film he made whilst it was still being debated as to whether he could transcend tv and become a movie star.

Charming, delightful, fun and clever; "One Fine Day" is a hit!

Author: Andrew DiMonte (NoArrow) from My House, Canada
17 April 2004

In "One Fine Day" Jack Taylor (George Clooney) and Melanie Parker (Michelle Pfeiffer) meet when their children miss a school field trip, and after much bickering they finally agree to take shifts in watching their kids. Over the course of the day they run into countless mishaps and misadventures, and come close together, to understand each other in a sort of non-romantic romantic way.

The first time I saw "One Fine Day" it was 1996 and I was seven years old. I didn't like it. I found it tedious and boring. Now I'm fourteen, and I just finished watching, and I love it? I get all the jokes I didn't get now, all the clever one-liners spoken with a bright, witty confidence that is reminiscent of Frank Capra films.

And clever they are! I have to say, when you subtract a few (very few) somewhat cheesy lines from the script, it becomes perfect. I'd go as far as to say Oscar worthy. Yes, you may think its cheesy that Jack's a famed newspaper columnist bringing down a mob member and the mayor, and Melanie's an architect working on what we imagine is a multi-million dollar deal with big businessmen, but the way it's presented is not that it makes sense, it's that you don't care. And that's not the focus of the film either, the movie would rather be about the minglings of the two leads.

And I have to say, Clooney and Pfeiffer have great, perfect chemistry. Clooney is his usual cool, intense self whereas Pfeiffer is an uptight, worrisome hard worker. They play off each other perfectly. It's not just their chemistry either, their performances stand alone as emotional, funny and smart. I'd go as far as to call Pfeiffer's Oscar worthy.

The style and direction in the film is also notable. There are split-screen conversations, some long steadicam shots, the whole placing of the camera fits perfectly with the light-hearted nature of the film.

A fun, witty, lovable family film, 7.5/10.

For once, a throwback which doesn't grate

Author: Sean Gallagher (seankgallagher@yahoo.com) from Brooklyn, NY
28 April 1999

When movies of today try and capture that "old-fashioned" feeling, usually it's the "values" that they're trying to recapture, forgetting that if you don't make a good movie, what you're left with is two hours of preaching. This movie, on the other hand, may be trying to capture that "old-fashioned" feeling, but the values it's after are the values of craftsmanship and intelligence, two things rarely seen in comedies these days. Oh, yes, and chemistry; Clooney and Pfeiffer have it in spades here. The fact that it's set among the world of working parents and, for the most part, tries to get the details right, also helps. And, oh yeah, it's funny. It is a little cloying at times, and the end feels abrupt, but overall this is a pleasing movie.

Not too sweet and some good humor in it.

Author: Philip Van der Veken from Tessenderlo, Belgium
2 December 2004

I always expect the worst when I will see a romantic comedy. It's all very much the same, ultra sweet and incredibly predictable. One Fine Day does confirm this, however it isn't as bad as most of the movies in the genre. It's actually a quite enjoyable and funny film.

Michelle Pfeiffer and George Clooney did a very good job playing two people who are divorced, with a child, afraid to commit to someone else and with a hectic life. One day, they accidentally meet at the school where their kids go to school and during the day they keep meeting, however they hate each other and don't want to see the other ever again. But as the movie progresses, the relationship between the two changes from hating each other, to liking, to ... (this is a romantic comedy, I don't have to explain everything I hope).

Even though some parts aren't excellent, the entire movie is actually quite good and enjoyable. It shows a lot of stereotypes of course like the ex-husband who doesn't want to help his ex-wife when she drowns in all the work and who needs him to take care of the kid, the man who still seems to act like a little child... But when you can see past that, it's an excellent movie to watch together with your wife or girlfriend. You'll both enjoy it. I give it a 7/10.

Just occasionally, Hollywood still lets us have a grown-up entertainment ...

Author: philipdavies from United Kingdom
21 August 2003

The headlong screwball comedy of this breakneck romance of two stressed-out single parents is a delight from beginning to end. It has scenes as quick witted - and often as wackily off-kilter! - as the adults must be just in order to survive their average day. Stir love into this mess of two increasingly desparate modern lives and you get a miraculous souffle of a film, at once sharp and sweet.

No scene is laboured, no point is telegraphed, and - phenomenally for a modern American film - neither kids nor kittens are allowed to smother the audience in the nauseous layers of cutesiness that are usually applied. The scene with the analyst, where Clooney must obscure his account of his sex-life in an ever-more-surrealistic periphrasis involving iced cakes and fish, since his little daughter has to accompany him into the presumably crecheless analyst's surgery, and her dad is embarassed to expose her to such adult matters as he is obliged to reveal during the session, is a scene which is a model of intelligent and stylish comedy writing. The dialogue of both himself and his analyst finally founders on the increasingly strained comparisons and metaphors being attempted. The analyst begins to construct an alarmingly kinky lifestyle for his client out of what he takes to be Freudian suggestions - but which are, as noted, merely the product of old-fashioned seemliness - whereupon Clooney is forced to bring the whole towering edifice back down to earth when his version of the morning's business with the goldfish gets mixed up in the heady brew of symbolism: 'No. I mean fish. You know - 'Fish' fish?'

The humour is all good, never strained, and beautifully played by all the principals, including the wonderfully un-sentimentalised children. The transformation, stage-by-stage, of the harsh mutual competition and resentment that exists at first between these harassed adults, into an exhausted truce, by way of barely-restrained irritation, grudging gratitude, reluctant respect, and growing affection, is handled with considerable dramatic finesse throughout.

To produce the unlikely union of such an ill-assorted pair under such utterly unpropitious and unromantic circumstances is a comedic challenge of considerable proportions, and the makers of this film do an excellent job to bring it off at all. The spirits of Grant and Hepburn - even Beatrice and Benedict - are not too far away.

The only disappointment is to see how many people in the audience have gone home just as sour as when they arrived, judging from some of the comments here. But then, love curdles in any mean-spirited breast.

One particularly admires the fact that, at its conclusion, the film's romantic clincher - when the tired-out couple have to settle for just falling asleep together, despite their by now clearly desparate need for each other, - insists upon the importance of exactly this: Love, rather than merely lust, as the basis for an adult relationship.

Just occasionally, Hollywood still lets us have a grown-up entertainment. It makes a pleasant and wholesome change from the usual fare of adolescent dreams.

A very fine movie in every way

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
28 February 2005

Jack (George Clooney) is a divorced journalist with a daughter named Maggie. When his former wife goes on her honeymoon with husband number two, Jack is left in charge of Maggie, something that does not occur very often. He has instructions to pick up a classmate of Maggie's but fails to arrive on time. Nevertheless, Jack does meet up with the boy and his mother, Melanie (Michelle Pfeiffer) at the school. All of them have missed the bus to the class field trip. Melanie is miffed and she and Jack have it out. However, during the course of the day, they will need each other and meet again at various times. Will Melanie stay angry with charming Jack forever? This adorable movie will be an enduring favorite for the next century and beyond. The two stars are so gorgeous and the youngsters playing the children are huggable beyond words. The plot is a string of funny encounters between Jack and Melanie, at the day care center, at the ice cream parlor, at a soccer game and more. Are you looking for a top of the line romantic comedy to vanquish the blues? Look no further, this is it!

Suprising!

Author: medea_argos from Cleveland, OH
5 February 2001

I saw this on a Sunday while doing laundry, thinking that it was a good way to waste time at my inlaws, and instead found a truly enjoyable comedy. I have read reviews that call it "predictable yet enjoyable", yet, I find it reminiscent of the screwball comedies of Hollywood's past, extremely funny & unrealistic & realistic all at the same time. I can think of no better way to spend my one day off a week with my husband than including a movie like this into our plans.

good enough

Author: Special-K88
18 March 2002

Pleasant romantic comedy stars Pfeiffer and Clooney as two divorced, overworked parents whose children are bickering classmates. They meet, and don't exactly see eye to eye, but then circumstances force them to put aside their differences and try to help each other out as they struggle to balance their job priorities with their parental obligations, all during a hectic day in New York City. Predictable setup made worthwhile by two very appealing leads, believable situations, and well-drawn characters. Youngsters Whitman and Linz are especially likable as the two children who reluctantly get dragged from one place to the next. ***

One fine movie !!!

Author: fofml from Germany
13 April 2000

Okay, I LOVE romantic comedies so this is probably not too objective but... gee, I loved this movie. It follows an old formula that has worked so many times and that is still working: 2 people who can't stand each other at first happen to spend some time together and eventually find each other attractive. This requires 2 main things: 1.) Two great actors with wonderful chemistry 2.) An original and funny script We have seen this in so many movies like 6 Days 7 Nights with Anne Heche and Harrison Ford or You've Got Mail with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan or recently in The Runaway Bride with Julia Roberts and Richard Gere. I loved all these movies for they simply worked to charme me. One Fine Day fits perfectly to this list. George Clooney ( who proves that he can be a very funny guy) and Michelle Pfeiffer ( who gives a great performance in this movie) have very good chemistry and the script is very funny and romantic with some really great one-liners. This movie entertained me very much and it wasn't boring as I saw it the second time. For it's charme and fun, I give this movie 9/10.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]