IMDb > Multiplicity (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Multiplicity

Multiplicity More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

A lot of unfair criticism.

Author: Clayton Bolger from Perth, Western Australia
30 May 1999

I cannot believe how many negative responses this film has had. In Perth it is showing this week on television, and the TV guide labelled it the worst film of the week. What is wrong with everyone?

This is just a light, fluffy movie with some genuinely funny moments. Michael Keaton would have had a nightmare of a time in this role(s). Imagine having to act with three other guys who aren't there. The beauty of his acting is, you can tell which clone is which. It's almost as if there are four different actors, al a Jeremy Irons in Dead Ringers.

I agree Andie MacDowell isn't anything more than eye candy, but she hasn't got a lot to work with. This is Michael's film, which he shares with the excellent visual effects. I don't understand how anyone couldn't enjoy this film. Maybe those people can watch The English Patient or A Passage To India for the hundredth time. Enjoy!

underrated

Author: Creedbeans from United States
23 February 2005

I have seen this movie thrice and each time it still amuses me. Michael Keaton playing three clones plus the original was really intriguing and he plays it so well. I was really disappointed to see that th overall rating is currently in the 5 area and even more when I found out Siskel and Ebert gave it two thumbs down. I like this movie. I find it funny, especially Michael Keatons portrayal as a feminine Doug and a "special" Doug, who really gives the movie most of its comedy. I give you that it was predictable but I really don't care. If it makes you crack up, it is a good movie, and this is no exception.

Andie McDowell does a fine job too. She might not be talking to three of herself as Keaton was but she was a good opposite to him. THe scenes with the kids are true to life, which also make me laugh.

I overall enjoy this film every time I see it and find myself quoting it the next few days. If your looking for a good laugh, this will feed your appetite.

A solid and hilarious comedy

Author: krumski from Cincinnati, Ohio
7 February 2000

Though nowhere near as good as Groundhog Day (director Harold Ramis's previous movie) this is still a solid comedy with several big laughs. Though its situation of a man cloning himself in order to make his life more manageable would have been an interesting one to play with a serio-comic focus, Multiplicity - despite some token moralizing - is pretty much content to play its premise for wacky farce. As such, however, it does an expert job: the timing in the scenes is impeccable and the interplay between the main characters is sharp and memorable. This is especially amazing since the "main characters" here are almost exclusively played by Michael Keaton. His ability to not only delineate between the four versions of himself, but also to play each of these "selves" off convincingly against the others is nothing short of superb. In my mind, this represents a much more awesome achievement than does Eddie Murphy's similar multiple role-playing in The Nutty Professor - and here it's not just pointless showboating (there was no reason besides vanity that Murphy had to play every member of his family), but absolutely intrinsic to the movie's success. Essentially, the film rides on Keaton's ability to do precisely what he does as well as he does. Multiplicity represents his funniest film work in years, and perhaps his best ever.

A couple of scenes in particular stand out as howlingly funny set pieces - such as the one in the restaurant and the one where the clones are left alone with Keaton's wife, played by Andie McDowell. It's a shame her character wasn't at least a little bit more sketched in by the writers (compare this, for example, to her wonderfully three dimensional role in Groundhog Day) - it might have made the film a little fuller. In fact, none of the supporting characters are really given much to do here, making it solidly a one man show. But what a show! With Keaton truly hitting every comic grace note available, you don't really have much time to notice or care about the lack of secondary characters. I have seen this film four times and it has yet to lose one iota of its hilarity or charm. Hey, how much more can you demand from a comedy?

Underrated and highly enjoyable

Author: Discfreak from United States
1 May 2006

I have to say when I saw the IMDb rating for this movie I was surprised. I was tempted to vote it a ten just to raise the average, but I gave it what I honestly think it deserves- a solid 7. Don't expect too much from this flick. The "deeper meanings" are mildly interesting and there is some worthwhile messages, but I like it just to relax and enjoy. If you just go into it looking for a few laughs you will be rewarded. It's not fall down funny but I get some very good chuckles throughout this movie. I'm a Michael Keaton fan, and I thin he does screwball comedy very well. His performance in this role as he portrays the distinctive sides of his personality in individual clones is impressive as he is spot on with each one. Andie MacDowell is always a joy to watch.

Worth a look, and I enjoy it every time it come on cable!

Don't be deterred by the 5.7 rating. One of the 90's top comedies.

Author: Eavan Masters from Fairport, NY
11 February 2009

Okay, so the premise is obviously before it's time, and there isn't too much to the plot. A guy clones himself a few times and problems/hilarity ensues. This movie could've easily gone to the b-movie shelf if not for Michael Keatons above average acting. Of course Andie MacDowell was good as his wife, but Michael Keaton steals the show. It's hard to get bored over the course of the movie because you keep wanting to see what Michael Keatons various personalities are going to do next. The effeminate Doug alone makes the movie worth a watch. My main issue is probably with the editing. I'm sure it's hard to edit one guy being multiple guys (especially in 1996) but a few of the panning shots were kinda choppy. Not a huge deal, but it does take you out of the moment for a second. This movie is probably a 7 out of 10, but giving it an 8 to make up for the undeserved 5.7. I'm pretty picky about my comedies, but this one raised itself above the pack. Consider other comedies from the same year: "Bio-Dome," "House Arrest," "Black Sheep, "Jingle All the Way," "Down Periscope." Out of all of them "Multiplicity" is the only one that I can recommend. If you like Michael Keaton, you can't miss this one. And if for some reason you don't, this movie might change your mind.

For once, the clones arent out to stuff everything up for the original!

Author: ^James^
26 January 2000

I like Michael Keaton. He was perfect in Pacific Heights and is still the 'Sean Connery' of the Batmen.

But the reason I liked multiplicity was because for once, in a movie about clones, the clones werent out to sabotage the original due to their disgruntlement at playing 2nd 3rd and 4th fiddle.

These clones try as hard as they can to abide by the rules and make sure that the original Michael Keaton's life runs as smoothly as possible: after all thats why they were spawned. And it is really amusing listening to the clones refer to Michale Keaton's Character as Doug (or 'Steve' in the case of #4) but are quite happy and comfortable in referring to each other by the numerical order in which they were created.

One of the most hilarious parts of the movie is when rule number one is put to the test....watch it and you'll see what I mean.....and also how number 2 warns number 3 that Dougs wife is going upstairs.............

Some people might think the character of 4 was a bit over the top, but if he had of been any less crazy than what he was..........it wouldnt have come off as well. After all, when a copy of a copy of a human doesnt come out right......you have to wonder what sections have been muddled up....Brain cells, chromosomes, Dna etc.....when you think of that, number 4's character was fairly tame.

A good movie that uses the talents of a good actor.

reasonably funny

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
1 July 2008

I think this was a good film with a good concept and adequate execution. Michael Keaton is a workaholic who doesn't have any time for his family, so he goes to a scientist who clones him so he can have the best of both worlds. Complications ensue, however, and Keaton finds that things are going as expected, so he proceeds to make more duplicates, which of course leads to further complications. I loved the part where the duplicates make one of themselves, whom the original Keaton refers to as "Rain Man." The bedroom, home, and work scenes are all hilarious, and the movie also has a good cast. If you want to see a good comedy, I recommend this one. You won't be disappointed.

** 1/2 out of ****

Great comedy & Michael Keaton is very very funny!

Author: TheEmulator23 (Shelman23@gmail.com) from S. Lake Tahoe, CA
20 June 2009

This is one of those films that maybe the first time you watch it, you just think, "eh." But on subsequent viewings you realize how funny it is and the absolutely great characters & how well developed each one of the Michael Keaton's are. He does an amazing job & this film was completely overlooked by just about everyone. Granted the plot is nothing to write home about, but neither is "Dumb & Dumbers" but that isn't why it is remembered. It's for all the hilarity that ensues just as this one does. I'm hoping that someday people will realize just how funny Michael Keaton can be in film & that he wasn't just BATMAN! A new generation will soon come to see everything that is classically done & some filmmaker will stick Mr. Keaton in another comedic role so that they can see just how well he can shine as a comedian. Here's hoping it's soon too! So if you liked "Old School, Napoleon Dynamite, & yes even "The Hangover" (though it's far less dirty) then this is right up your alley.

The grass is always greener when there's no place like home.

Author: Donald W. Cameron (dwc2-1) from Hamilton, Ontario
29 April 2001

This film is no more about cloning than The Wizard of Oz (1939) staring Judy Garland, is about wizards. "Multiplicity" is a romantic comedy, a fantasy, that lightly explores the source of a very common complaint among married people with children. If you have ever wished that you could be in two places at once, then you should enjoy watching this story of a man who actually gets his wish - and then some. We viewers have become a pampered and sophisticated lot, and I was pleasantly surprised that this film nodded its head in acknowledgment of this reality. The cloning technology in the film is no more believable than are wish granting fairy godmothers, but we all enjoy movies about ghosts, werewolves, monsters, and such, with out their having to be validated, so I tip my hat to director Harold Ramis for instead just dealing with the nuts and bolts of facing the clone, or oneself as it were. There is no super-serious or heavy message like that you would expect from something like the "X" Files. The treatment is light, and we are seated somewhere between a Michael Keaton special and family level comedy. Keaton is no less than superb, and his performance alone is worth the price of admission. The plot is very well contained and runs an appropriately narrow course allowing this master performer to explore not only his craft but also the old adage about " … the best laid plans of mice and men …". The movie is seeded with straight-men(women) who appear as a matter of course as they do in any working day. They react in a believable way to the excruciating confusion that presents itself at almost every turn. The dialog is intelligent and the humor regularly sarcastic without being the least bit cynical.

The lead straight-man in the film is Andie MacDowell, who plays her role as wife and mother with dignity, restraint, and is appropriately and intelligently challenged by what she faces as the plot unwinds. She remains loving and kind, while staying strong enough to allow Keaton to bounce off of her effectively without her being demeaned. There is something for all but the youngest viewers of this film and any love making that occurs is implied and anything approaching "bawdy humor" is short, quickly given, and quite tame.

Keaton plays the lead male as well as the clones making this film more than a just simple romantic comedy; it is also a warm and charming gift of appreciation to the memory of the late Peter Sellers. Mister Keaton, my regards for a job well done, and thank you for continuing so well in the footsteps of your mentor.

Very entertaining and funny!

Author: Lord Onim from Sweden
10 March 2003

Michael Keaton's character Doug is so busy with his work that the neglects his family. Then he meets a man who says he can help him with time. Doug is unsure at first but later on contacts the man again, whereupon he learns that the above mentioned is into cloning people! This is when all the fun starts... :)

This film started out a bit slow but got funnier and funnier as it went by. I never thought it would be this funny. It's also a very entertaining film where there is not too much time between each laugh. And the ending is absolutely hilarious!!

Andie MacDowell was stunning as usually. Keaton was good in all of his multiple roles! Need I say more? 7/10

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]