IMDb > Death in Granada (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Disappearance of Garcia Lorca

Death in Granada More at IMDbPro »The Disappearance of Garcia Lorca (original title)

Blood Of A Poet in a Full Blooded Film

Author: wob wobelix from amsterdam
5 March 2004

Some of the other commentators could be right: this film might not be totally accurate, historically speaking. But than again, it is a film. And it does portray the life & death of this astonishing Poet & Playwright & Person, FEDERICO GARCIA LORCA, very well.

The film has two story lines, and the second (or first ?) obscures the attention for the Man of the Title every now and then. But the film keeps the viewer on edge, it is intriguing and in a way very exciting.

Andy Garcia has not been better in years, and the cabby has always been a miraculous actor. Others are very well too, so this film must be well directed.

Every individual who is caught by the story, and is getting interested in Lorca, is an asset to this film. And who knows, maybe we all start to read his beautiful work again in great numbers.

The film is very beautifully shot. For those who are intrigued by Lorca and want to know more: please buy his work, but also: there is the other film on his death. 'LORCA, MUERTE DE UN POETA' of '87 (you could check out my comment on that one too..). Available on DVD thanks to the lovely Suevia Films-label, in Spanish but with English subtitles, and on the 'net' available at the Spanish Barnes & Noble, El Corte Ingles. This film is less glamorous than THE DISAPPEARANCE..., yet breathtakingly beautiful, and airs a bit more (in an unobtrusive way) of Lorca's poetry.

Watch both these films, you won't be disappointed ! Might even send you looking for some fabulous books !!

This one is in my Top 10 Movies of all time :)

Author: sammie22 from United States
27 June 2006

Andy Garcia and Esai Morales were amazing in this movie.

This is one of my all-time favorites.

It also introduced me to Lorca's writing, so i am forever grateful.

Lorca was a genius and he is loved and missed. What a beautiful poet. I went out and bought 2 of his books and I've carried them with me for years. They are well-loved and read often. Lorca is like a kindred spirit. If Garcia hadn't portrayed his character so well, I may have never known Lorca was even a poet that ever existed! and now i can't imagine not knowing his writing. What caught my ear was Garcia reciting one of Lorca's poems. I was in the other room and the TV was on and i heard this beautiful poetry i'd never heard before. I came into the TV room and i was just glued to the set.

This is the first time I saw Esai Morales and then when I saw him in NYPD Blue I said, hey! i know him! :-) He's a wonderful actor.

Garcia really did Lorca proud with his performance. I had always loved Andy before but this time i really fell in love with him. I can't even imagine anyone else playing this role. I hope he knows how great he was in this movie.

I am still in awe every time i see this movie.

:-)

simply ..G R E A T !

Author: Aziz (king_kubaj@hotmail.com) from Riyadh
21 August 2003

the more i watch this movie the more i get crazy about the poet

i don`t know why ..but there is something strange with that movie ..

the execution scene is perfect ...

andy garcia`s performance is unbeatable..

the music is impressive ..

i give it 10/10 ..

two questions

Author: mary cadney from oklahoma city, oklahoma
14 August 2010

This movie is about more than the murder of Federico Garcia Lorca. It shows the contrast between the artistic authority of anyone like Lorca and the power of the so-called authoritarian governments, such as the one formed by the Fascist party in Spain, 1936-1976. If you are creative in music, dance, theatre or art then you are the natural enemy of the power-hungry, who create nothing, and are compelled to disguise their inadequacies with culture they steal from you and those like you. They covet your authority, and what you make, in order to present themselves to the world as "authoritarian" and "cultured." But they are only impotent thugs. Too many Americans are sympathetic to such motivations and procedures, and find this movie confusing. These are the same uninquisitive folk who never notice that Spain was not involved in World War II -- Hitler occupied every country in northern Africa, Scandinavia and Europe, except for Spain. Why not? The Allies, relentlessly speaking out against the horrors of fascism, never said a mumbling word about Spain. Why not? I especially liked the movie because of Andy Garcia's portrayal of Lorca. His Lorca is intelligent, vigorous, creative, comfortable, confident and responsible.

It makes a new statement rather than answers the question

Author: Truth-145-747956 from United States
28 August 2011

This is a spoiler

The most important question left unanswered by this film , is not who killed Garcia, but whether it is morally acceptable, not to correct the injustice by executing the guilty party, because you have decided you would like to marry his daughter, who will not do so if you shoot her father.

We learned at Judgement at Nuremberg that Nazi judges who convicted innocent Jews because it was the law, committed crimes against humanity and were convicted.

And after the second world war Populations of occupied countries hung those who had collaborated during the occupation, without trial. No charges were brought against the executioners

Are we now told that moral principles are subordinate to sexual attraction, and that someone who has led a life of ease as the daughter of the perpetrator, would make a desirable wife?

It's OK to do anything you need to do to survive? There are no moral or ethical principals worth observing?

Curious mixed bag

Author: nostinkin from United States
31 May 2010

Like the very mixed reviews one finds here, this movie struck me as a curious mix of bad, clunky acting and directing and poignant, even haunting , moments. It's as if the movie had a talented script writer and poor director...but probably vice versa. The basic story line - a young fan returns decades later to try to discover the truth of Lorca's death - is artificial and implausible,while the depiction of the violence and ambiguities of Spanish Civil War is most effective.I watched it with interest, while at times I couldn't imagine how such a bad scene could have made on film in an apparently serious movie. Overall worth watching but be forewarned....

A thought-provoking tragedy of the disappearance of the great Andalusian poet.

Author: lgarcia1291 from Tampa, Florida
27 October 2003

An understated, yet extremely powerful movie.

When I first saws the film several years ago, I knew relatively little about Garcia Lorca, yet I was so moved that it spurred me to read Ian Gibson's biography on Lorca, and consume the Andalusian's poetry with passion. Oh, the genius that was Lorca!

Though the film may have taken liberties with history and the tragic Spanish Civil War, it nonetheless exposes the American public to Lorca -- whom it may be argued, may be the best Spanish poet of all time. For at least that much, we have to be thankful for.

Andy Garcia is stirring as the passionate, yet politically-naive Lorca, especially when reciting lines from the poet's "Lament for Ignacio Sanchez Meijas" (At Five In The Afternoon) as if in a near-state of frenzy or delirium. In fact, I believe this is his best role to date! Esai Morales is equally good as Ricardo, the expatriate reporter trying to get the low-down as to how his childhood hero met his eventual fate during the Spanish Civil War. James Edward Olmos was a bit over the top for me as the enigmatic Lozano, but credible. Relatively-unknown Marcella Walerstein (Maria Eugenia) is eye-candy as Ricardo's love interest and Miguel Ferrer was a bit wooden, as the villain, Centeno.

The Disappearance of Garcia Lorca is an otherwise, dark movie with more than a hint of film noir, but definitely well worth viewing -if not for the gorgeous shots of the Andalusian countryside and its various cities and locales. The costumes are great and the scenes of the Flamenco-dancing gypsies in tiny, cave-restaurants add flavor and soul to the movie. Although at times, Disappearance can be a trifling difficult to follow, especially with everyone seemingly giving Ricardo the run-around. I must say, that after watching the film for the first time, I literally sat on my couch mesmerized, wanting to cry for the poet. Within hours, I had purchased a copy of the movie.

Director Marcos Zuringa is to be commended for taking the high road, the road less traveled. Instead of bringing forth another culturally-void film experience, he and Andy Garcia have given us at least a hint of the genius that was Lorca with this, "The Disappearance of Garcia Lorca" -- an Iberian gem and a "must see" for those in search of a meaningful movie experience. Defintely a "keeper" for your video library.

I give it ****!

Good story

Author: cybamuse
15 March 2001

Right off the bat, let me confess, I know nothing about Garcia Lorca beyond the fact I had heard one of his stories being acted out on BBC radio... So, sitting down to watch this movie, I was prepared for anything, but essentially the worst. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised!

At the start of the Spanish Civil war in the 1930's, a famous poet and playwright, Garcia Lorca goes missing. The story takes up when a fan who was a child when he met Garcia Lorca, returns to find out at whose hand did the venerable poet die at.

You have to assume that the story is more or less completely fabricated - because no one knows what happened to Garcia Lorca. So, that said, the storyline was pleasantly paced leading up to the gripping twist at the end.

Strong performances were turned in by all the cast - in particular, Esai Morales (Ricardo - the grown up child wondering what happened to his hero), Andy Garcia (Garcia Lorca - albeit, I will admit that at times, Andy Garcia came across as a smooth talking mafia dude rather than a writer...) and Miguel Ferrer (Centano).

I enjoyed this film and recommend it to anyone who likes action-based drama's centred in history!

Thought provoking...

Author: anonymous from Madison, USA
29 September 1998

I thought the movie was well done in terms of direction and acting. Unfortunately, the plot got a little stupid towards the end. But, I still liked it because it made me think. I felt "inspired."

Andy Garcia does an excellent job. I'm not his biggest fan, but I must admit that he acts very well in this movie.

Esai Morales also does a good job although, despite his incredible good looks, tends to "over-act" in my opinion. Nobody is perfect!

Worth seeing!

Entertaining and informative, although with some concerns

Author: Michael Glass from Texas, USA
1 March 2004

I confess an appreciation for any film which opens a new door into the previously unknown. Prior to seeing this film I was unaware of Garcia Lorca, and at the very least this film provided me with exposure to him and some of his work, and a small look at the Spanish civil war.

I also very much enjoy Andy Garcia, as well as Esai Morales. However, in retrospect, I believe Antonio Banderas would have been a better choice for the Garcia Lorca role.

The original title, "Death in Granada" was probably a more apt title, as the movie does tend to concentrate more on the adventures of Ricardo (Morales), but overall I was very satisfied. Heck, I now even own a book of Garcia Lorca's collected works! I'd say that speaks well enough for the film.