IMDb > Mr. Wrong (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mr. Wrong

Mr. Wrong More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

A pleasant surprise. Don't believe the bad press!

Author: dyostab from Illinois, USA
28 February 2003

I just saw "Mr. Wrong" on cable TV, and it surpassed all my expectations. The movie boasts a pitch-perfect cast, great gags, and genuine heart. I defy anyone not to at least smile when the children's chorus launches into "I Want to Know What Love Is" in Spanish. Please note: I'm not some shill for whoever sells the home video of "Mr. Wrong." Nor am I hopelessly devoid of taste: I know why movies like "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" are funny, and why movies like "North" suck. "Mr. Wrong" has been unjustly placed in the latter category. If you're willing to take a chance on an "ugly duckling" movie, make this the one.

Pitch Black Comedy With Numerous Funny Moments

Author: Ben Lee from Kidderminster, England
11 November 2002

Mr.Wrong has been unfairly reviewed. Designed as a vehicle for the considerable comic talents of Ellen Degeneres, this perhaps wasn't what many people were expected. Okay so its got a glossy sheen and typical 'madcap' comedy music but its tone is much darker than your average comedy.

Ellen plays Martha, a single women who thinks shes found the man of her dreams in Whitman, played with creepy assurance, by Bill Pullman. After making the mistake of telling him to act like himself, it becomes clear that he is completely insane.

He makes her shoplift, sends her endlessly random gifts, steals mexican kids for her and in the most uncomfortable scene of all, in an effort to show her how much he loves her, he breaks his finger for her.

For some people this may sound more like the plot of a thriller and some critics did find the film a little distasteful but for black comedy fans, this is great fun. Degeneres is fantastic as the goofy heroine, providing most of the films laughs.

The random humour of the film is what makes it really funny. Disgruntled ex Joan Cusack's attempts to strike back at Degeneres are great. 'Do you want gum in your hair?', 'Prepare to be consumed by ants!', 'Don't be nice to her! Pull her hair!'

It may not be to everyone's tastes but this is a real comedy gem.

It's not wrong to like this film, it's very funny!

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
4 May 2005

Martha (Ellen DeGeneres) is a single, thirty-something television producer who has had very bad luck in her relationships with men. Therefore, when she meets Whitman at the jukebox (Bill Pullman), a self-proclaimed investor-poet, she is smitten with his intelligence and his good looks. However, after a couple of dreamy days and nights, Whitman decides to reveal his "true self". He tells Martha he's going to take her on a fun date...they are going to go shoplifting. This is the just the beginning of the swell times ahead! Poor Martha! Will she never find true love? DeGeneres and Pullman display full-octane comedy in this film. The viewer can not help but laugh at their antics. And the supporting cast is such a dream, with Joan Cusack, Dean Stockwell, Joan Plowright and others! The script is humorous, the costumes are a pleasure, the San Diego setting is very nice, what more could one ask for? Please give this film a try, you'll like it!

Loved it!

Author: makuala8 from oregon, u.s.a.
8 September 2003

I would have to disagree with the overall rating of this movie- personally I loved it! It's so funny! I would definitely tell anyone that's interested in seeing it to do it and ignore the bad reviews of it- hey who know's you may end up loving it!!!

Ellen's brand of Comedy is funny and smart

Author: Edgar L. Davis (luludavis@aol.com) from Hardwick, Vermont
22 December 2004

I wish Ellen made more movies. The talk show is cool but I think that she's wasting her talent. "Mr. Wrong" is a good case in point. Ellen is totally convincing in her role of a woman disappointed by, and still searching for, love. The casting was brilliant. Hope Davis, Bill Pullman, Joan Plowright, Dean Stockwell and Joan Cusack are an awesome ensemble. The premise of the movie is simple and straightforward enough to be believable but broad enough to allow for any number of crazy things to happen. Her character's job as a talk show producer is brilliant because it allows for cameos of all of Ellen's comic colleagues. It is also an old-fashion comedy in the tradition of It's A Mad, Mad, Mad World, and all of the other 60's comedies showcasing stand-up acts like Martin & Lewis, Bob Hope, etc. This movie was a lot of fun and I've seen it quite a few times.

I love it!

Author: suzanna from Oregon
24 March 2002

I guess you have to have lived through this kind of stuff to get the outrageous humor! Terrifically done - Bill Pullman is hilarious as is Degeneres...Joan Cusack and her sidekick were FUNNY and Walter a perfect fit. If you have pretty normal relationships forget it but if you have had to deal with some pretty weird partnerships - give it a try. I bought it because I enjoy watching it once in a while. My kids 11 and 13 loved it, too.

I've been through that, so...

Author: Mari!! from Rio, Brazil
26 January 2000

OK, everybody HATED this film, and I would've hated it too, if it wasn't for my last love affair... A similar stuff happened to me as well, and in some very funny parts of the film I saw myself, trying to break up but not being heard... Awful situation, believe me! So, this film made me laugh at my life, actually... it's weird when you watch it, but oh well. If you're in a relationship like that, or have been in one, you'll probably enjoy it.

Rent it, Tape over it, Return it!

Author: SwatchDog (swatchdog@dork.com) from Sydney, Australia
7 July 2000

Poor Ellen. She's finally getting some respect in Hollywood with excellent performances in such films as edTV, The Love Letter, etc, yet has to deal with having starred in this flop.

Talent such as herself, Bill Pullman, Joan Cusack, Dean Stockwell, Ellen Cleghorne, and the sensational Joan Plowright is wasted in this turkey.

I must admit however that it did start off promising - the typical single woman living in the shadow of recently married sister, meets nice guy, blah blah blah.. but went totally downhill soon afterwards. What caused Whitman (Pullman) to be such a hyperactive fool? And Joan Cusack and her feeb slave Bob? I love Joan, she's had some great roles (hence the 2 oscar noms) but not even her charismatic prowess can save this hairball. She has to deal with a brainless character who cuts couches and puts gum in Ellen's hair! Sheesh - and the Mexican kids?? Well, I laughed at that scene.. I found it to be quite racist also mind you.

Unfunny, unoriginal and uninspired right up to the end wedding where Ellen is in rollerblades or something and Joan is sporting a rifle. Spare me the hyperbole and give me my ninety minutes back.

2.5/10

Great 15 minute audience capture!

Author: Lisa Jackson from Bountiful, UT
6 February 2002

This film lasted about 2 hours but had audience attention for about 15 minutes. They were not the first 15 minutes, but there were some interesting minutes. The actors did well. It was funny for a bit but dragged on too long. I would recommend this movie to rejected- feeling girls who want to feel more depressed than they already are.

Let's talk about "black comedy"...and how this is a total failure...

Author: merklekranz from United States
23 May 2008

"Mr. Wrong" had to be written as a "black comedy", but unfortunately misses the mark by a wide margin. The main problem is that the film is not outrageous enough. Bill Pullman's character resorts to becoming a mean stalker after his rejection by Ellen DeGeneris. At this point the movie turns into nothing more than a glorified cartoon. In order for dark comedy to succeed, it can be outrageous, but not mean spirited. Killing perverts to finance their dream restaurant worked wonders in "Eating Raoul". Here, simply destroying someone's life, for one's own pleasure, is totally off-putting, and not funny. A big disappointment, and definitely not "black comedy". - MERK

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]