IMDb > Mother (1996/II) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Wait a year, try again

Author: jdollak from United States
4 May 2005

Mother is a beautiful movie, in that it gives us an insight to our relationships with our parents. While I am not female, things might be a little different for daughters, but as a son, I can see the same behaviors that have cultivated in my mother. And she can see it in her mother. My girlfriend can see it in her mother, and her grandmother. While the comedy is a little dry, and actually slightly confusing on the initial viewing, if you return to the movie after a year or so, it will make complete sense. It only gets better after that. I can understand being underwhelmed by this movie the first time. Please don't judge it too harshly. I know I would have rated it a 6 or so when I first saw it, and now I've given it a 9. Maybe I should explain why it doesn't get a 10. There are a few sequences that should have been altered. I found the date scene to be a little too long, and the Mrs Robinson sequence should have been almost completely eliminated. It is a painfully bad gag, and the humor of it is something that can only be appreciated by those of a certain mind set. Don't worry, I'm not insulting you if you like it.

A genius on top form

Author: Kristian Turner (kristian3@tesco.net) from Bristol, England
8 March 2000

Sometimes, from the endless stream of average movies, comes a gem, this is one such film.

Albert Brooks is impossible to beat if you're looking for character driven comedy, and "Mother" comes second only to another Brooks film, "Modern Romance".

Here we have the story of a science-fiction writer, blocked and fresh from his second divorce. It's the break up with this woman that prompts John Henderson (Brooks) to move back in with his mother, in the hope that solving his life-long problems with her will lead to the solution of his myriad of other problems.

The comedy is brilliant throughout. The scene in his mother's kitchen (food talk) is a contender for the finest comedy scene ever written. And the small things, that other writers neglect, are what make this film a standout: One example is the scene when Brooks' character is attempting to make a start on his next novel; it's truly hilarious, and any telling of its humour hear wouldn't convey the true laugh-out-loud quality of the moment, so just watch the movie.

Albert Brooks and Debbie Reynolds both give perfect performances as the lost and insecure son, and the unsure and uninterested mother, and their chemistry is unique.

An absolute comedy gem, and my second favourite film of all time; second only to "Modern Romance"

The movie grows on you

Author: eskridge from Houston, Texas
6 March 1999

I saw Mother in a theater and came away only partially impressed. Although I appreciated the witty script, I thought Brooks missed making his point about the complicated relationships between mothers and sons. However, I've warmed to this film after seeing it over and over on cable. The dialogue is great, and Brooks and Reynolds are a wonderful comic team. For example, I love the way Brooks wags a banana at Reynolds when she questions why women leave him. And it's hilarious when Brooks and his brother fight over Reynolds like she was their mistress. The ending is a little too pat -- I don't think sons ever resolve their conflicts with their mothers, or even understand them. But it's Brooks' best film after Lost in America. And that ain't bad.

Living with mom

Author: Petri Pelkonen (petri_pelkonen@hotmail.com) from Finland
24 November 2006

Albert Brooks plays the son.Debbie Reynolds plays the mother.The son, science fiction writer John Henderson, moves back home to his mother Beatrice Henderson.And the reason this grown up man does so is because he feels like he should do so after two failed marriages.He thinks after that experience his chances for a successful relationship would be better.Albert Brooks directed, wrote and acted the lead in Mother (1996).He's terrific in the movie as is the legendary Debbie Reynolds playing the mother.Rob Morrow, who's still very well remembered as Dr.Joel Fleischman in the great 90's series Northern Exposure, does very good job in this movie playing the brother Jeff.Lisa Kudrow of Friends does a small part as Linda, the blonde John goes out with.She's just wonderful.Paul Collins is brilliant playing the Lawyer.John C. McGinley plays Carl in the movie and he's very good.Mother is a terrific movie that combines comedy and drama in a fine way.It's mighty funny when John makes his room look like exactly the same it looked like when he originally lived there.I think we all should take trips to the past every now and then.Maybe we learn something about ourselves.

A great film.

Author: shevek331 from US
1 October 2001

For me, this is one of the best films out of Hollywood in the 90's. A fine and believable plot, great dialogue, perfect comic timing, amazing acting (and an excellent choice of cast) -- what more can I say? Even the musical score and the cinematography were right on.

Why aren't there more films like this coming out of Hollywood? Don't they think people have brains and can understand the subtleties of human relationships?

Kudos to Albert Brooks and Monica Johnson.

Mother love

Author: paul2001sw-1 (paul2001sw@yahoo.co.uk) from Saffron Walden, UK
9 December 2004

Albert's Brooks' comedy 'Mother' is frequently hilarious, with some cracking dialogue, and highly perceptive: few viewers will fail to recognise some aspect of their relationships with their family in its portrayal of its eponymous central character and her middle-aged son, played by Brooks himself. But in taking their interaction as its principal subject, instead of using it as a backdrop to a wider story, the film chooses to pursue limited ambitions, and there's a level of contrivance necessary to support this narrow focus: while, at a micro-level, the film is perfect, the overall plot makes less sense, and the ending is a little pat. Not a great film; but one guaranteed to make you smile.

How to make an effective movie w/o a car chase.

Author: adam b
1 February 1999

This is one of those movies that's like watching a play on a movie screen, and what an enjoyable play it is. Through deft writing and flawless acting, this film manages to capture the subtle psychological warfare taking place b/t Brooks and his family. Also to his credit, the Brooks character is far from flawless or blameless that the relationship has become such an emotional wasteland. A gentle giant.

Universal Problems...

Author: lasherxl from Slightly North of Hell
14 September 2000

I think Albert Brooks did a wonderful job with this film. Portraying all the odd little things that happen in our relationships with our respective mothers. We all have those moments where we look at her and can't believe that we were spawned from her loins. The ways that at any age, she can reduce us to about 9 years old and completely humiliate and embarrass the hell out us at a moments notice.

Debbie Reynolds is magnificent as the mother, she has that maniacal sense of motherly perfection that all of our mother's, at the very least, attempt to portray.

Rob Morrow is also hilarious as the jealous younger brother. Every scene between him and Brooks is a laugh riot, because they both seem to regress to their younger days when they would fight over toys and the remote control.

All in all, I think it is something everyone can relate to on some sense. We have all had one or two of these moments with our mothers and it is more than likely they will happen again.

A Terrific Pairing Of Brooks and Reynolds

Author: George Mussman (GEM-20) from Washington State
22 February 2000

This is a great movie that is a lot of fun. I really liked Debbie Reynolds, who I think deserved a Best Supporting Actress award for her performance. Her comic timing is perfect.

Albert Brooks is great too. He reminds somewhat of Woody Allen, playing a neurotic science fiction writer who gets writer's block. He moves back home with Mom (Reynolds) in hopes of breaking the block.

The interplay between these two great actors is marvelous, thanks to a wonderful Brooks script.

One other comment I will add is that there is practically nothing in this movie to find offensive or objectionable. Good, clean fun, with many laughs.

Brooks more recent movie, "The Muse" featured a similar theme of a writer whose talents are temporarily stifled. I wonder if there is any autobiography to Brooks' scripts, but I am sure there is not, for his stories are often full of wonderfully funny moments.

I really recommend "Mother".

This movie is about my family

Author: echernoffw-1 from United States
26 December 2014

The first time I saw "Mother" was at a theater in Toronto where my sister and mother from Chicago were visiting. My husband and I and my mother and sister all went to this movie. My sister and I were laughing SO HARD, we fell on the floor! My mother didn't understand why we were laughing so hard but this movie was the story of our lives! The only difference is we are Jewish (as is Brooks) and this mother wasn't, but she was still MY mother. It was like Albert Brooks hid in our house when we were growing up and had written all this down. We especially loved the line that Debbie Reynolds says after they just got back from dinner" Dear, are you hungry'? and then starts pulling out frozen food from the freezer...my mother! All Jewish mother's think about is FOOD! We also thought it to be hilarious that she "freezes" everything, my mother does too. And the way Albert Brooks felt that she loved his brother more, hello...my life!

This movie is smart, funny, witty and totally realistic! The casting is great, Debbie Reynolds is marvelous as the mother who can't understand why her son wants to move back home after a divorce, and Albert Brooks is also very believable as the confused son.

If you put your self into this movie, you also might see signs of your life with your mother! Funny, funny flick!

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]