IMDb > Mission: Impossible (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mission: Impossible

Mission: Impossible More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 38: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Loved the action but hated the betrayal of the original series

17 January 2005

I am a huge fan of spyflicks & series and I was happy when I learned that M.I. was to be made but to me it was a complete betrayal of the entire series that Jim Phelps turned traitor. We have followed him from when he formed the unit & his fatherly caring for his fellow agents, I feel that it was totally wrong & outside the character for his betrayal of IMF & his country. A way for the makers of the movie franchise to redeem themselves was to make a new movie in which it turns out that the Phelps that was killed in M.I. in fact was an infiltrator and that the real Phelps had been held captured thus the new mission was to rescue him and destroy his captors plans to implement their own perverted version of IMF. If Phelps was killed it really didn't matter as long as he was still a hero. He might die saving Hunts life thus there would be no conflict with a returning IMF leader. I give this only 5 stars out of 10 due to the betrayal.

The old series deserved better

Author: Ghormax from Tübingen, Germany
4 February 1999

I was very much disappointed by this flat action movie and its predictable ending. I am a fan of the old Mission:Impossible series of the 60s and 80s and therefore I think the plot is ridiculous at best. Why should Jim Phelps do what he did? He was always loyal through the many episodes of the series and there he could have gotten much more money if he had betrayed his team.

The reason why Peter Graves (Jim Phelps) did not star in this movie is because he did not agree with what I have just said.

Anyway this movie is NOT for fans of the series because there is nothing left of the teamwork spirit of the series. It is a one man show for Tom Cruise.

If you liked the TV series, you will hate this movie!

Author: lima-2 from melbourne, florida
27 November 1999

If you are a big fan of the television series, starring Peter Graves and Martin Landau, like I am, then you will hate this movie as much as I did. It has nothing to do with the television series, other than its title and opening musical sequence. I went in to this movie expecting more. If you can get beyond these prejudices, then you can expect, at best, a mediocre movie. Right off the top of my head, I can pick five or six episodes from the series that were actually better than this movie. It's a shame because I like Tom Cruse. He's better than this!

Best Detective Franchise

Author: rish-96900 from Delhi, India
18 September 2016

It is one of my favorite detective movies where the journey of Mission Impossible begins. Tom cruise is pretty amazing . He perform his stunt himself which rarely done by other actors in today's world . I watched this movie many a times . Recently, i watched it on www.flick it is a nice website for watching online movies and has amazing movie suggestion feature. I have watched all the movies of this Franchise . Looking forward for Mission Impossible 7 <3. The picture contains a bit of romantic scenes too.The movie is full of suspense too.Tom cruise name "Ethan Hunt" has been copied from a police officer in the United States.His fighting skills are awesome. #best is yet to come MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 7.

Malnourished, convoluted, with a couple of decent set-pieces

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
29 August 2016

Hitchcockian director Brian De Palma dips his hand into the action genre with this malnourished thriller, which, as is the case with many recent blockbusters, is all style over substance. The plot is little more than an excuse to string together a series of familiar action set pieces, none of which will cause the viewer to raise an eyebrow - unless it is at the outlandish activity which occurs at the film's finale. While some may enjoy the many twists and turns as double-faced characters betray each other, it just served to give me a headache. I was partially distracted while watching the film (through no fault of my own, I hasten to add), and this made it difficult to understand the various character's motivations, and especially who exactly was the main villain at the end of the piece. This is definitely one film which is too clever for it's own good.

A familiar cast of faces fill out various roles, but hardly any of the actors and actresses are given much to do except mutter meaningful dialogue. Tom Cruise is an able action man, but he is just that: a muscular figure with little or no personality whatsoever. And no charisma. I liked Cruise in EYES WIDE SHUT, but his blank performance here left me cold. Jon Voight enjoys himself in a two-faced, villainous role, but again is given little to do apart from smile or sneer when the film requires him to. Probably the actor who comes off best here is Ving Rhames, playing a character who is never too serious and quite likable. Jean Reno is a good face to have in the cast too, but to my despair I found he was playing a villain and thus dies spectacularly at the end. For the female roles, Kristen Scott Thomas appears briefly at the beginning before thankfully dying: I was glad to see her go, as I can't stand this actress. Emmanuelle Beaurt lends some much-needed class to the proceedings, but her role is almost totally thankless and she hardly appears at all.

Amid the fun (if expected) trappings of clever, hi-tech devices and traps (such as explosive chewing gum), there are a handful of action scenes on which the film concentrates. Firstly, the opening scene where Cruise finds his team massacred one by one is well executed, conveying well the despair Cruise feels as time after time he arrives too late to see one of his colleagues die. The set piece of the film occurs when Cruise and his cronies break into a sealed vault to steal information, this is an excellently-crafted moment which sustains the tension right up until the very end. Probably the best bit of the film. The final moments with the helicopter and train chase are fun too, even if they are a bit preposterous and slightly bend the laws of dynamics and movement (you'll know the moment I mean). All in all, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE is something of a hollow exercise, but with enough exciting moments to keep it mildly entertaining.

Mission accomplished

Author: Mr-Fusion from United States
5 August 2016

I never gave "Mission Impossible" much consideration twenty years ago (I guess I wasn't yet sold on Tom Cruise) and instead took to the later entries as pure action movies. Truth is, it's a pretty cool movie, working mostly on style and convoluted plot twists. The spycraft is more emphasized here (although that's really in the service of the big set pieces (a gripping vault caper and insane helicopter/train scene). Still, it's the little things that pop; who'da thought Ving Rhames sitting alone at a laptop would yield so much charm? As paranoid espionage goes, it holds up pretty well.

With this Tom Cruise became an action star.

Author: tankace from athens
30 June 2016

Mission Impossible, just that ,the first of this franchise which took Tom Cruise of his dramatic roles and make him a believable action star and to say the truth is very well made and its scenes are so memorable that in every movie they have been redone and other movies have copy ,make a reference or parody them. So with the mission impossible six being announce and in pre production and with been twenty years after its release, I though it was high time to review this flick.

To start does it hold up with the standards of the action movies nowadays? Yes, definitely and it is even better than a lot of them and even some superhero movies(superhero movies don't count as action flicks). The reason for that is not only it set the stage for spy movies to be more adrenaline fueled and give us spies who aren't just a copy of James Bond, but also it renewed the running man formula, that Harrison Ford made with the Indiana Jones, for real with so much running no wander why Tom Cruise look so young!

One more thing is that the story isn't over the top but some what grounded in this world and so despite the lower stakes, the danger is more personal and show you get invested to the characters, who are also very well written and portrayed. In short although it hasn't the greatness of the Golden Eye, which came out one year earlier, I believe that it has a greater impact in cinema than this, just ask any regular film goer and he or she is more likely to have seen Mission Impossible than Golden Eye.

Bonus fact the jokes for it are freaking hilarious like : " Franchise Unkillable" ,"We will continue seeing sequel, up until Tom Cruise quiets", " Cardio Cruising" and so on!! ha ha ha!

In the end Ithan Hunt is a great alternative for James Bond( or even his son for as we know 007 had a weakness for women) and don't say thinks like "Is just a copy of 007" for it isn't, like Bourne after words ,just continues the spy tradition and it doesn't make spies around the world feel shame for their work.

Enjoyable and Entertaining

Author: PartialMovieViewer from United States
8 June 2016

There are good movies I watch once and will never go back ("One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest" of "The Sixth Sense" and then there are those I will always watch again and again. This movie falls into the later group. I never thought Mr. Cruise would do much with this genre, but I have to do a major retraction...right now, he is my preferred action star. Ethan Hunt starts this series out right. From the first Mission Impossible movie onward, they have just improved. This is an excellent beginning. I understand people might have been looking for 'Paris', or a Barbara Bain Martin Landau type mix...I know I was. And I will admit that I kind of wanted to see a reboot of the old players, but gone are Barney, Willie, Mr. Phelps and the gang. It didn't take long to adjust to the new version. The action, direction and pace are outstanding. Tom Cruise and cast makes this a gem worthy of multiple views. I highly recommend this movie along with future installments.

The ending needs work.

Author: theveneficus from London, England
24 May 2016

Tom Cruise always brings his best in any action role he plays, and this is no exception. This is the start of a great franchise. Unfortunately the final act is more than disappointing, its ridiculous. It ruins the entire tone of the film. It involves far too many betrayals, randomly appearing skin masks, and an over-the- top, unsatisfying action sequence. Like all action films it ends with a fight scene. But this one just doesn't have enough weight to be enjoyable. It involves a helicopter following a train through the tunnel connecting Britain to France. How a pilot would ever be able to avoid crashing is god's work. And overall the way Ethan Hunt (Cruise) deals with the bad guys is annoyingly too linear. He sticks a 'chewing gum bomb' onto the front of the helicopter jumps towards the train before it blows up, propelling him safely on board whilst his enemies burn to a crisp behind him. I wish the film had a more intelligent ending. Because despite the bewilderingly convoluted story it is a clever film. Mine (and most peoples) favourite scene, has Cruise suspending from a wire, whilst breaking into the most highly guarded building in Langley, Virginia (guess which place that is). That scene has everything, tension, humour, ingenuity and strong performances. There's two reasons I didn't give this film I higher score, 1. The ending is, by definition, impossible (maybe that's what they were going for, but I still find it a mistake), and 2. The plot is overly complicated (which trying to make intelligent) ends up being rather stupid. However, its still an enjoyable 110 minutes.

Rebooting done right

Author: michael-3204 from Portland, OR
2 May 2016

This fast-paced thrill ride is a master-class in how to revive, extend and enhance a fondly remembered (if slightly cheesy) property that, in lesser hands, might have seemed time worn. Director Brian De Palma evokes espionage classics like "The Third Man" to lend some -- but not too much -- flair to a twisty narrative full of double- crosses that the story and screenplay writers manage to render coherently. It has aged unusually well for a story that relies so heavily on what was supposed to be cutting-edge technology in the mid-1990s, with only the rendering of Internet communications looking silly (that email address!). The concluding action set- piece, which was one of the first to depict the newly opened "Chunnel," strains credulity still, as it did at the time, but packs a punch nevertheless. The cast is at least serviceable -- Tom Cruise and Vanessa Redgrave really sparkle in their scenes together, Emmanuelle Béart is flat, and everyone else does what they need to do to maintain the story's tension. Danny Elfman's score, thank goodness, makes extensive use of one of the greatest themes in TV history.