IMDb > Mission: Impossible (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mission: Impossible

Mission: Impossible More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 38: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Brain Food

Author: angrytexan from Connecticut
3 November 2000

I can't believe this movie got a rating of 6.4. I gave it a 9 because it is one of the most action-packed and INTELLECTUALLY STIMULATING movie's I've ever seen. Yes, this film was complicated, but to those of us who could follow the plot, it was enthralling. If you didn't like it, it's because you didn't understand it (although many don't want to admit this). Instead of claiming that the movie has "no redeeming values," watch it again, and if you still don't understand Mission Impossible, I recommend either Conan the Barbarian or Police Academy, for they won't leave you so...befuddled.

Well, pretty good I must say (critics: Remember what the title says Impossible, so prepare)

Author: stamper from The Netherlands
18 June 2000

With all the talk going on about Mission Impossible 2 I watched this one again (for the 2nd time) yesterday as a warm – up (Mission Impossible 2 is due here next month) and I must say I liked it pretty much.

I was one of those folks who went to see this flick in the cinema, almost 4 years ago and I must say, I was pretty much disappointed. The Trailer had somehow made me believe that this was a high – speed action vehicle in the likes of a Die Hard with a bit of a Bond twist. This was not it. It was even more James Bond than James Bond, as referring to the spy stuff and that I did not like at all. I expected a sort of Goldeneye – like movie (as much action anyway and as much spy stuff). By the way, why is it Mission: Impossible and not Gadgets: Impossible? Or Events: Impossible? I mean this could be a Die Hard, Die Hard 4: Die Impossibly Hard. But I do not tend to rate movies on their believability, or why else would I love, Lethal Weapon 3, Die Hard 1+3, Goldeneye, The World is not Enough and so on.

But hey that was 4 years ago, what did I think this time? Well, it was pretty good. There was a good story, which was at times a bit complicated, but you could follow and there were a few tense and exciting scenes. Yet there was not nearly as much action as in the Mission Impossible 2 Trailer. But that is not so bad after all.

The actors all were OK, except one and I do not mean Cruise here, for I don't like him that much anyway. He is too much of a smoothie and he is much too slick for my feeling (please no hate-mail). The best one was VING RHAMES, yes him, he is a very talented actor and one who can always make me smile and laugh. He has got an incredible way of letting his face ‘speak' in some way and he always seems to be a jolly and nice guy in this one. Yet he can be mean and dangerous (as in Con Air).

Despite all that I was not excited all the time and on the edge of my seat. Sometimes there was too much talking and stuff involved and yet sometimes actors had funny lines, there was too much talking. Don't get me wrong, but I prefer Goldeneye to this one, you now with the standard Bond formula which includes: wits, action, exotic locations and very pretty female companions. This was: spy stuff, talk, plot and twists.

Still 7 out of 10

Finally, a suspenseful and entertaining movie with a plot!

Author: skeejay
14 June 2000

A truly great movie. Mission: Impossible actually has action, characterization, and a compelling plot. Every time I watch this movie, I figure out something new about the story, which makes you appreciate just how deep and complex it is. But by the end, everything falls into place. The twists, revelations, and plot developments will keep you on the edge of your seat. On top of all that, it has this mindblowing climax. Just an awesome movie.

Very, Very Good Movie

Author: Big Sexy from The Dark Side of Your Mind
14 June 2000

Despite the complicated plot, which I just about managed to get, this is a brilliant action movie . The 2 hours goes very quickly and at not one part was I bored. The action scenes kept me on the edge of my seat and I thought the cast was excellent, especially Ving Rhames, Jon Voight and an uncredited cameo by Emilio Estevez.

Along with Die Hard with a Vengeance, Speed and Face/Off one of the best action movies of the 90's. 9 out of 10

Great movie with a good plot and exciting action sequences.

Author: Disco Godfather from Indianapolis, In
29 May 2000

When I first saw this movie I was pretty confused and I had to see it a couple more times before I understood it all. Many critics hated Mission: Impossible because of this. I liked that it was very complicated, it added to the mystery. I think the part in the CIA terminal room is classic, very exciting. This is one of Brian De Palma's best. He throws lots of surprises at you. Tom Cruise and Ving Rhames are always good together and I liked Emilio Estevez's part. *** 1/2 stars.

Great film

Author: bayliss_89 from Vancouver, B.C.
27 May 2000

Although many people said they couldn't figure this movie out, yet it's pretty easy to follow, if you pay attention. I will not discuss the plot here as it is better to watch the film. The film is a fast paced spy film with lot's of neat gadgets and near impossible feats. Hence; Mission: Impossible.

Tom Cruise is very good in the film as is everyone else, but especially Henry Czerny. That guy rocks. Brian DePalma's fantastic direction is also another reason to see this film. Off angles and bizarre camera work highlight this film.

I have also seen the original tv series, so I do have a base to compare this film to. Although different, it's still a great film. 9/10

Yes, I LOVE good guys-turned-TRAITORS!

Author: Bellybub (rocketeer69@webtv.net) from Florissant, Missouri
17 November 1999

Tom Cruise must STILL be patting himself on the back for

this movie's success; he let the loyal, upstanding Jim

Phelps turn out to be the VILLAIN, and moviegoers STILL

swarmed to see this flick! I had high hopes for this movie; I remembered what a great job that screenwriter

Steve Zaillian did with adapting SCHINDLER'S LIST, so I

went to see M:I with an open mind. What a letdown!!!

Hey, Cruise, I'm glad you didn't have anything to do with

the big-screen version of THE FUGITIVE---I'm sure that Dr.

Kimble would've been revealed as the One-Armed Man!

Mission Possible: Turn "Mission Impossible" into a Tom Cruise film franchise!

Author: the amorphousmachine from Australia
1 January 2007

(SPOILER)

Going for a theme today by reviewing star vehicles utilising previous source material (eg: a comic, or TV series), as this is more a Tom Cruise movie than an actual interpretation of the TV series. The fact Brian De Palma twisted Jim Phelps' (Jon Voight) character in the movie had some fans up in arms. Now that the films have progressed to three ventures of the Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) centric spy series, this is probably the best film out of the three Tom Cruise driven vehicles. It's also the most surprising and memorable of the three, particularly with Cruise floating above lasers and was good introduction to Ethan Hunt's background, and of the film series for non-fans of the original television series. I, too, was annoyed at the treatment of Jim Phelps, but now the films are just using the "Mission Impossible" to sell a Tom Cruise vehicle in playing Ethan Hunt- then this is the best one out of the three in hindsight, which is not really saying much. Great supporting cast include Ving Rhames, Jon Voight, Kristen Scott Thomas, Emilio Estevez. Nowhere near Brian De Palma's best directorial work, but nowhere near his worst either! If you haven't seen this film, you might as well check it out!

*** out of *****!

Mission impossible.. of watching

Author: Jim Inatti from Brooklyn Italian living in Florida
17 May 2005

The name of the movie couldn't be better, Mission Impossible because it was impossible of watching.

This is a very boring action film, i hoped something better because the 2 TV series, the nineties one, and the sixties one were two great TV series.

But this movie.. man it was boring as hell, i don't know how i didn't fall sleep in the middle of the movie, it could be more boring?.

Tom Cruise in one of his worst performances, not only him, everyone in the movie were so lame, the plot itself have no sense.

So this is my review, one of the most boring films i have seen in my life, i give it 1/10.

Ego vehicle

Author: Benjamin
9 April 2004

It's disgusting Tom Cruise turned a clever, fun, ensemble show into yet another big effect vehicle for his mammoth ego. I could hardly believe my eyes when in the first few minutes Cruise (his movie, I hold him responsible) kills off his entire team (which consists by and large of far more talented actors) just so he can do his lone wolf vengeance thing ("this time it's personal!"). In those few minutes, he destroyed any relationship the movie had to the show.

It's a disgrace.

I've never liked Tom Cruise, but his astonishingly arrogant appropriation and destruction of the Mission:Impossible theme is a new low.

Aside from this, the movie itself is utterly formulaic, uniting the implausible with the predictable. Jean Reno is good in anything, but no one can save this.