IMDb > Mission: Impossible (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mission: Impossible

Mission: Impossible More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 39: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Exciting But Nothing Like the TV Series

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
4 August 2015

The transition that "Mission Impossible" made from the small screen to the big screen ignited considerable controversy. The beloved character that Peter Graves originated on television named Jim Phelps became a treacherous rogue agent that Jon Voight played as a villain in the film that director Brian De Palma helmed. Hardcore "Mission Impossible" fans have never forgiven either Tom Cruise or Brian De Palma for this sacrilege. The first "Mission Impossible" suffers from contrivances galore. Nevertheless, "Mission Impossible" emerges as an exciting, suspenseful nail-biter with three electrifying set-pieces: the opening computer heist debacle at an American embassy, the white-knuckled scene in the vault at the CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia, and the chilling train ride sequence as the finale that culminates with a helicopter being dragged by a train through the claustrophobic confines of a tunnel. The CIA vault scene ends up being the best, with the other two are slickly done. The story opens with a brief vignette that features American espionage agent Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise of "Risky Business") masquerading as an older, mustached man orchestrating a ruse against an enemy agent by convincing his adversary that he has been instrumental in the death of a young woman. As soon as Hunt extracts the information from his disheveled adversary, they incapacitate him, revive the girl, Claire (Emmanuelle Béart of "Don Juan"), who is playing possum and tear down the fake motel. The next thing we know we are introduced to the cinematic incarnation of Jim Phelps, and "Mission Impossible" adheres slavishly to the television formula with IMF chief Phelps receiving the usual briefing from a disc that self-destructs after he is told about his latest mission should he decide to accept it. Phelps relies on his right hand man, Ethan Hunt, to coordinate the operation in Prague. The IMF is supposed to record the pilfering of the CIA's master list of Eastern Europe spies. During the mission, everything goes haywire, and everybody but Hunt dies. Ultimately, we learn that neither Phelps nor his wife Claire died. The Phelps couple staged their own deaths. Naturally, since Hunt is the last man standing, his CIA superior Eugene Kittridge (Henry Czerny of "Ice Castles") suspects that he may culpable of the crime. The big revelation for Hunt is the discovery that the entire operation was 'a mole hunt' to expose a saboteur. The resourceful Hunt manages to escape from Kittridge when he uses explosive chewing gum to blow up the aquarium restaurant where he met with the CIA chieftain.

Holing up in a Prague safe house, Hunt finds himself caught between a rock and a hard place. Eventually, he smokes out an arms dealer, Max (Vanessa Redgrave of "Blow-Up") who pays him to steal the spy list. Since he cannot call on his former comrades because they are dead, Hunt enticed disavowed computer specialist Luther Stickell (Ving Rhames of "Pulp Fiction") and pilot Franz Krieger (Jean Reno of ""Flyboys") who can fly a helicopter through anything. The theft of top-secret computer documents from Langley ranks as the best scene in "Mission Impossible" with our intrepid hero dangling from a rig in the ceiling to make himself inconspicuous to the vault security gauntlet. Watching Krieger as he uses his muscles to keep Hunt from tripping the security alarms is taut stuff. The exit that they make disguised as firefighters is clever. Like its small screen predecessor, the cinematic "Mission" features spectacles that boast built-in TV cameras, hidden microphones, laptop computers, agents in sophisticated covers, exploding cars, exploding chewing gum, stabbings, gunplay, bodies toppling into a river, etc.

Timeless franchise starter

Author: CMTiago from Portugal
3 August 2015

With the release of each Mission: Impossible movie getting better and better reviews after the 2nd one, some portion of the audience affirms that the saga only gets better with each passing installment. Looking forward to seeing Rogue Nation further down the road this year, and having seen Ghost Protocol and enjoying it, I still say with enormous confidence that the first Mission is still to be beaten and maybe the fifth will do it, but I will talk about that another time.

Getting back to the point at hand, this movie truly delivers thrills like no other and an incredibly twisted story that keeps you guessing and guessing. Tom Cruise really nailed a role of a lifetime here as he begins to give us Ethan Hunt, a spy that gets more and more iconic status as he is associated with the likes of Bourne and the top spy himself Bond. But the movie succeeds on a lot more levels than this, ranging from the supporting cast to the screenplay and direction. This is a franchise I very much enjoy (even the maligned MI2), but this is the standard bearer of the series and the more espionage driven movie of them all. Terrific Stuff

Rating: 9/10

convoluted story but I don't care

Author: SnoopyStyle
19 October 2013

Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) is a secret IMF agent. His team has been infiltrated by a mole. When they go on their new mission, all are wiped out except for Ethan. The mission was actually a mole hunt, and the agency now thinks that sole survivor Ethan is the mole. He must fight to clear his name, and find the real mole.

Director Brian De Palma has built an intense convoluted story. He tells an intriguing behind-the-scene story of the two writers writing competing scripts while the movie is in production. It's best not to think too hard and the movie doesn't really give you time to think. The clues, the new characters, and the action keeps coming without easy explanations. Tom Cruise is such a powerful presence that I don't actually question the story. I just enjoy the slick spy story. The action is fast and stylish. Realism and logic be damn.

The Beginning of a Great Film Series,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
15 February 2013

Mission: Impossible is a great movie with a well developed plot and a great cast. There is plenty of action that will keep you interested from start to finish, and it is at times very intense as well.Tom Cruise delivers a fantastic performance as Ethan Hunt, and it's no surprise he's still playing him today. It's a great franchise and Cruise suits the character.

The movie definitely has its flaws, I think the story can be a bit convoluted at times, the plot definitely had moments were it felt like it was all over the place. It felt as if the writers had so much to handle with the source material that they were trying, maybe a little too hard, to make a movie that is bigger than every episode of the television series.

As well as that, all of the characters bar Ethan are underdeveloped. We really learn nothing about anyone else, which makes it difficult for us to care for or support them when they are immensely two dimensional.

It is simple, mindless fun that leads to better movies. Mission Impossible is a great movie that I would recommend to anyone looking for a good action or thriller.

Ethan Hunt is framed for disloyalty of his organisation, he now must try and prove his innocence and that he is not a traitor to the US.

Best Performance: Tom Cruise

A Great Start To The Series

Author: MovieNewsAndUpdates from India
13 November 2012

The decade of 90's has always been my favorite. Some incredible movies has also made it to the list of top 250. Although this one hasn't it remains to be one of the very good movies of that time. Well, so far i have seen all the for parts of this franchise and i have enjoyed all of them. Mission Impossible series has always been a lot of action with a decent story, so the intention of watching these movies are more to enjoy and less to think. However, the first part of this series, this one, really contradicts the other parts. MI1 has a really interesting story which when seen for the first time can be a little bit confusing due to the interesting twists in it. With actors like, Jean Reno, Jon Voight and Tom Cruise the performances are engaging and convincing to build up on a good script. The movie has very convincing action scenes especially considering it was made in 1996, and so i loved the action scene in the end which is on the roof top of the train. My favorite part is the piece of background score which begins when Ving Rhames asks Tom Cruise "You really think we can do it" on which Tom Cruise replies " We ARE going to do it"

This one will never go out of style

Author: haela from United States
16 September 2012

You could look long and hard, and never find a film more fun to watch than Mission:Impossible. It's classy, stylish, and heart-pounding.

First, let me address the frequent complaints about an overly complex plot. This is not true: there are a few lines you shouldn't miss, but pay attention as you watch and you will be fine (i.e., don't wander off to get popcorn).

Ethan Hunt is an American agent who has been framed and falsely accused of treason and the murder of his team. He strikes out to clear his name with a group of similarly disavowed agents. Together they must prove that Ethan was set up, and prevent a dangerous weapons dealer from accessing a list that would betray the identities of every American deep cover agent alive.

The story is well constructed, without the typical action movie plot holes. The film is well balanced between action and dialog.

But the best part of M:I is Ethan Hunt, whom Tom Cruise not only portrays, but lives and defines. A rare action hero with a brain, Ethan is quick, fit, savvy with both a computer and a gun. Driven and determined, he thinks quick on his feet and doesn't look back. But the most rare (and valuable) trait he possesses is his powerful magnetism and charisma: he makes you like him, and instead of coming across as arrogant, his confidence and assurance draw you to him.

I almost never give a film a 10/10 rating, but Mission:Impossible is one of those rare films that gets every detail right. There's nothing to dislike, and everything to enjoy...highly recommended!

A spy thriller with a brain. Great way to start the series.

Author: Drew St. Pierre from Maine
14 April 2012

STORY: Mission: Impossible follows an espionage team known as the IMF (Impossible Missions Force), led by Jim Phelps (Jon Voight), who were on a mission in Prague to prevent a diplomat from the non-official covers list, which is a list of all the secret agents in Eastern Europe.

When most of the colleagues in the team get killed, the mission had failed, and Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) was the lone survivor after the mission had failed. After that, Hunt embarks on another mission to clear his name.

MY THOUGHTS: Although I had never, ever watched the original TV show, I didn't know what to expect from this movie, when I first heard about it.

After watching Mission: Impossible for the first time seven months ago, I thought this was a really enjoyable spy thriller.

This is one of those movies where you must pay attention from beginning to end because there are some twists in there. If you don't pay enough attention, you'll be really confused on what's going on.

I thought the plot twists in this movie were pretty shocking, and the direction by Brian De Palma was great. Also, there were only a few action sequences in this movie that were really gripping. Like the part on the train, I was on the edge of my seat during that scene, and when Tom Cruise is in the CIA headquarters retrieving a computer disk in a secured room with the help of Jean Reno and Ving Rhames, which I thought was really-well shot. I would call that scene as a rather quiet one, but it was still gripping.

THE ACTING: Tom Cruise does a great job playing Ethan Hunt. It kind of bugs me that people are saying that Tom Cruise can't act to save a life. Well, try watching these movies, and you'll probably like him.

Jon Voight did great as the leader of the IMF. Jean Reno and Ving Rhames were great as the two agents who helped Ethan on his mission.

IN CONCLUSION: Mission: Impossible is a great start to the Mission: Impossible series, which it had really good twists, good acting, especially from Tom Cruise, great direction by Brian De Palma, and it had some great action sequences.

After being framed on a mission that failed, IMF agent Ethan Hunt, must find the culprit and clear his name.

Author: Dragonslayer2000 from United States
19 March 2012

This movie was great! Definitely a five star movie. Four star at the lowest. Tom Cruise acted really well, it was exciting, and they didn't make it all killing, death, etc. This movie was exciting as it sounded, so there was no rip-off. However, I do think they could have created less talking, and more doing, so it would be very fun, and not exactly like the real thing in life. After all, it is fictional stuff. It's no real. It's not based on a true story. But besides that this movie was good. This movie has very little cuss words, which makes it more easier for more parents to saying yes to their kids on watching this awesome movie. This is a movie for the young and old who love action like this. I personally can not wait to get this on DVD, and I can not wait to see it's sequels, M:I-2, M:I-3, and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. You will want to do all the same. Enjoy this great movie that will always be a great spy classic for years.

Entertaining & Fast-Paced!

Author: nama chakravorty from India
24 August 2011

'Mission: Impossible', directed by Brian De Palma, is an Entertaining & Fast-Paced Action-Thriller. It manages to hold your interest, at most times and is truly worth a watch.

'Mission: Impossible' follows agent Ethan Hunt, and his mission to uncover the mole within the CIA who has framed him for the murders of his entire IMF team.

'Mission: Impossible' begins well and only gathers it's momentum in the process. Being an Action-Thriller, this Box-Office Blockbuster, offers the correct amount of thrills & chills. The Screenplay by David Koepp & Robert Towne is well-done. Brian De Palma's Direction, like always, is note-worthy. Cinematography by Stephen H. Burum, is striking. Editing is fair.

Performance-Wise: Tom Cruise plays the Main Hero, most convincingly. Jon Voight is quite good. Jean Reno & Ving Rhames, are impressive. Emmanuelle is noticeable. Vanessa Redgrave, Kristin Scott Thomas & Ingeborga Dapkunaite appear in cameos.

On the whole, A Winner!

Take it for what it is

Author: abgkasjlkasjla from Denmark
1 January 2010

I haven't watched much at all of the original show; I do know that this screws over the fans, and ruins stuff that they loved. Beyond that, it takes a different approach than the series. I guess it had to; the silver screen, you know. You can't do the same thing as on TV, it has to be bigger. Thus, this focuses on one person(not an entire team), and from early on in this, he's without the support of the IMF(were they *actually* called that before these? When did it start, anyway? Is there literally like, a supervisor sitting somewhere, deciding if a mission is quite impossible enough for them to handle?). All of that is really to be expected; if it turns you off to this, then so be it. I urge you to stick with your season sets, and not go for these. This has a complicated plot(with that said, you can follow it), perhaps to outdo the earlier stories. For a spy-thriller, this is quite good. It holds up pretty nicely, there are unpredictable twists, and the suspense is *excellent*. The famous "suspended from the ceiling" sequence *is* as great as you've heard. There is not an awful lot of shootouts or chases, but it is exciting, and the action is cool and well-done. This is a bit of a vehicle for Cruise, and he uses his charm in at least one scene that was probably written once he was cast. With that said, he does well. The characters are credible. Acting is masterful, with few exceptions. Elfman does marvelously, scoring this save for the classic theme. There is occasional moderate to strong language, and some bloody violence in this. The DVD holds a theatrical trailer. I recommend this to anyone into tense films that require you to pay attention. 7/10