IMDb > Mission: Impossible (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mission: Impossible

Mission: Impossible More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 38: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Pretty mainstream spy thriller. One of the stronger films in the franchise.

Author: ConsultingHobbitExtractors
3 May 2015

Though this isn't the strongest of franchises, even in context of the spy genre alone, this re-imagining of the sixties TV show isn't too bad. So far Ghost Protocol is my favorite in the series, though it could get passed by Rogue Nation this summer. Still, this first installment is much better than 2 and 3, though they both fixed a couple of things that were wrong with the first film. Despite having the least action of the four, the movie is still predominantly action driven. It's overall quality is fair with an equal amount of flaws and strong points.

The story is complicated, but not in a Prestige-esque way that makes you want to see it again to figure it out exactly. The confusion comes mostly from a number of technicalities that are hard to keep track of and are kind of vital in order to understand the story. It is possible to follow everything, but it takes so much concentration that it's likely to detract from the overall experience. But, as I said, it's action driven, so all you really need to know is that it's Ethan Hunt and company against everyone else and a couple of shifty allies. The area that the screenwriters could have improved in the most was the character interaction. We see that Ethan feels betrayed at various times by Kitteredge, Jim, and Claire, but the technicalities of the plot and slightly lacking character writing gets in the way. That's not to say that they did a terrible job writing the characters, but it just could have been better.

Though it's considered an action film, the quantity of action is more fitting for a thriller. There are long stretches where we are deprived of any kind of fight scene and there is a lot of dialogue. The action sequences mainly come at the beginning and end. The more exciting scenes in the middle are just sort of tense and might feature some spy gear, such as the iconic scene where Ethan breaks into the IMF to get hold of the NOC list in the ultra high security room. Even almost 20 years later, some of the spy gadgets are still pretty cool like Jack's "gum" and the video glasses. There are no true fight scenes like in the subsequent three films (but that saves us from the annoying amount of slow motion used in MI:2).

The acting is fair, with Tom Cruise giving the best performance. I thought Luther was played pretty well, though Jim and Claire both could have stepped it up a notch. Kitteredge felt rather clichéd, like a cross between an overly official Bourne antagonist and a threatening Bond villain. Since I viewed it long after it's release, I can't say whether the technical execution is good or bad, but it feels satisfactory given the technology at that time.

It's not as good as the Bourne films or the Daniel Craig 007 installments, but might be appealing to fans of either franchise. Again, it's confusing and has less action than you would anticipate, which are both things for prospective viewers to be conscious of. I've heard that it isn't very true to the old TV shows, but given the thirty year hiatus, that isn't terribly surprising. However, the old theme is modernized well and from what I've read, nobody is very intent on comparing the show to the films. So I would probably recommend it to any action fan, especially if you want to get caught up before seeing Rogue Nation in July, but it won't top your lists. Overall Rating: 8.1/10.

Forget James Bond, meet Ethan Hunt

Author: Krush_Burner from Russian Federation
28 January 2015

An updated version of a classic spy-themed series from Brian De Palma is a classic itself now. But this first installment is not my favorite, albeit it contains all basic elements of a good action flick. The focus of story is a spy game with everything that follows from that: gadgets, hacking, betrayal, and so forth. For me, unfortunately, the whole story moves quite slow, and even we have some really great actors here (most notably behind Tom Cruise, is Jean Reno, and Ving Rhames), they can make this film interesting, but not amazing. De Palma's vision of "MI" is significantly different than any other director who has been involved in franchise development, and he tends more to thriller rather than action movie. And we can, of course, remember at least two really thrilling sequences here: famous "hacking secret data in the air" episode and the final confrontation on a train. But, except for this, rest of the film is pretty slow-driven, relying more on actors and screenplay than SFX or high dynamics.

A very solid spy thriller

Author: alindsay-al from United Kingdom
30 September 2014

Mission Impossible has become well known for its theme song and also for this being Tom Cruise's franchise, but this film is a really solid spy thriller and it does a really good job of introducing this franchise. This story starts off when special agent Ethan Hunt ends up with his team all dead on a mission and he is accused of conspiracy against the American government and on the run for his life. Now this really is Tom Cruise's film and he is fantastic as Ethan Hunt and does a really good job of being a serious action star who the audience can relate too which really brings out the best in the film. The supporting cast is pretty poor though really, an exception to that is Jon Voight as Jim Phelps, even though it is a bit of a smaller role he does a great job in the role and alongside Cruise he does a great job. But then to the rest it is not my favourite, the woman they got to play Jim Phelps wife Claire isn't a very good actress and she doesn't do a very good job in the role. Also the guy they got to play the head of the CIA would have been better had he had a bigger role as he wasn't given enough time to establish his character. Jean Reno also plays another fugitive and I didn't really like his character either as he just seemed like a weird add on that wasn't really necessary. The story is a huge plus with loads of twists and turns that make all the characters add to the story and make them seemingly important. The script is okay with Cruise having some really good lines but some of the other characters lines are not that good at all. The style of the film is great with obviously the iconic theme song being great but also the action scenes seemed realistic but also exciting. This is a really good solid film that I hope sees even better in the future.

Fun, exciting, classic and the weakest in the franchise

Author: juneebuggy from Canada
24 September 2014

Probably my least favorite of the franchise but still miles above most other "spy" movies except for those Bourne ones. This series also gets better with each subsequent movie. #1 see's secret agent Ethan Hunt framed for the deaths of his espionage team and fleeing government assassins across Europe to find the truth.

Everything is well done and the result is fun and exciting despite a kinda choppy story. Great locations, a top notch cast and filled with awesome stunts (the giant fish tank explosion in the restaurant, the now iconic Cruise suspended mid heist inches from a pressure sensitive floor, and the amazing train ride/helicopter sequence) which by the end goes way OTT but looks cool and as I said its fun so who cares. 9/1/14

Thrilling action scenes and a not-too-obvious plot

Author: evancyl
17 September 2014

I don't usually like action movies, but this one managed to captivate me with its heart-stopping action scenes and fairly intelligent plot! Tom Cruise put in a splendid performance as CIA agent Ethan Hunt, whose team members all die on a mission to nab the guy who is out to steal the list of names of all agents in Eastern Europe. The mission turns out to be a decoy, all for the purpose of tracking down the mole within the CIA. Suspicion is naturally cast on Hunt, who sets out to uncover the mole's identity and clear his name.

The action scenes and camera-work were amazing, from Hunt hanging from a vent and nearly hitting the ground when the rope suddenly loosened, to the helicopter and train chase scene. Just as importantly, the plot made sense and all the action scenes had a legit purpose, which isn't always the case with quite a lot of action flicks. It wasn't that easy to guess who the real bad guy was. And of course, the famous theme music really added to the thrill! Good entertainment for an afternoon.

Red light, Green light....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
11 March 2014

Jim Phelps was sent to Prague to prevent the theft of classified material. His wife Claire and his trusted partner Ethan Hunt were members of his team.

Unfortunately, The mission failed, leaving Hunt the lone survivor. After he reported the failed mission, the head of the agency suspects Ethan of being the culprit for the failed mission.

Now, Ethan uses unorthodox methods to try to find who set him up and to clear his name.....

Probably the most successful transfer from TV to big scree, MI is the epitome of a summer blockbuster, it's big, full of wonderful set pieces, and makes no sense whatsoever.

It's about a list containing information, and Cruise is suspected of turning (Freud would have a field day), and he assembles a rag tag team to clear his name.

That's it. The rest of the film is full of Cruise doing his own stunts, and showcasing himself. Which isn't a bad thing, because after Top Gun, this movie made him the biggest star on the planet.

De Palma give the film his classic sheen, and makes the film feel a little more urgent than it seems.

All in all, it's a load of old cobblers, but it's fun, and we will all remember it for Cruise dangling on a wire, catching his own sweat.

The mission impossible era...

Author: Thanos Alfie from Greece
17 February 2014

"Mission: Impossible" is the first movie of the Mission Impossible and it has to do with an American agent who is a suspect by his own organization and he wants to discover and expose the real spy of his organization without any help.

I liked this movie because it's a movie with plenty of action and suspense in whole of the movie. I also liked it because it was so unpredictable and because of the storyline. I also believe that the interpretation of Tom Cruise who plays as Ethan Hunt and he is really nice on it. Another good interpretations made by Ving Rhames who plays as Luther Stickell a friend and partner of Ethan Hunt and Jon Voight who plays as Jim Phelps.

Finally I have to tell you that I really recommend this movie because of all the above reasons and I believe that this movie is a strong start of a new era.

Try any sleight of hand with my money and I'll cut your throat.

Author: Ben Larson from Leesburg, FL
8 December 2013

This film is full of stars, including two of my favorites, Jean Reno and Kristin Scott Thomas.

The plot is a little difficult to follow, with all the double-dealing, but not to worry. It has all the usual spy stuff: spyglasses, hidden microphones, laptops, elaborate disguises, exploding cars, knifings, shootings, bodies toppling into a river, etc

Basically, a mole has broken into the group's inner circle; the mission was an attempt to flush him out. But instead of exposing the real culprit, it throws suspicion on team member Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise), who is forced to go underground to prove his innocence.

We've seen some of this in Jules Dassin films, but not even Bond has a chase scene like the one here.

The bottom line on a film like this is, Tom Cruise looks cool and holds our attention while doing neat things that we don't quite understand

More Than Adequate Action Film

Author: gavin6942 from United States
25 November 2013

An American agent (Tom Cruise), under false suspicion of disloyalty, must discover and expose the real spy without the help of his organization.

Although the original cast disliked this new incarnation, I think they missed the point in a way -- this was not to be a strict continuation but more of a new beginning. Those lines might have been blurred if the old cast reprised their roles, but they did not, and I do not see this one in any way detracting from the television show.

Stephen Holden of the New York Times wrote, "If that story doesn't make a shred of sense on any number of levels, so what? Neither did the television series, in which basic credibility didn't matter so long as its sci-fi popular mechanics kept up the suspense." I feel like this really nails it. The key is the suspense and not the plot. While more something you expect from Joel Schumacher than Brian De Palma, I think De Palma" got it".

Oh no....I may have to think.

Author: justintim1999 from United States
22 November 2013

My favorite of the series (Ghost Protocol 2nd). This film scores high marks all the way around. The story, acting, and directing all are first class.

I read that many people who have seen the movie for the first time were confused by the plot. So was I, but after screening it a second time I was pleasantly surprised at the many subtle nuances to the story there really were. It's a story that doesn't treat you like a child. So many movies (directors) think they have to go out of there way to spell everything out for the audience. Scenes that have no other purpose than to drive home an obvious point. Not this one.

If I had my way Brian De Palma would have been involved in the other three. De Palma was the only one who captured the feel and the look of what I thought the movie should have been.

If you've only seen it once see it again and enjoy it for the classic that it is.