IMDb > Microcosmos (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Microcosmos: Le peuple de l'herbe

Microcosmos More at IMDbPro »Microcosmos: Le peuple de l'herbe (original title)

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

very unique!

Author: creeese from chicago
25 January 2006

Anyone that gives this movie a bad review is retarded for renting it in the first place. What were you expecting? Acted out scenes? Dialogue? Morgan Freeman voice-over? It's a beautifully-made film showing bugs and a few minutes from their orderly lives. It's uniquely filmed in a way unseen in film/TV before its release. Dismissing it as "boring" or not educational enough is... I can't even express the close-minded idiocy of that kind of attitude. It is what it is. A beautiful, and musical, DISPLAY of insects going about their boring lives, but it's a boredom we never truly witness, and therefore it's very interesting. The quality of the film-making and the time put into the film-making deserves respect.

I ultimately HATE pretty much all bugs, but this is an EXCELLENT film and I was intrigued from start to finish, and that's counting multiple viewings.

Despite the subject, this is a nice movie

Author: Philip Van der Veken from Tessenderlo, Belgium
5 May 2005

If you know the documentary "Le peuple migrateur" (or "Winged Migration" in Enlgish) and you loved it, than you also must give "Microcosmos: Le peuple de l'herbe" a try. It's not exactly the same of course, but you'll certainly recognize the same style of images and narration and the idea behind it.

This time it isn't about birds, but about insects. I know, many people don't like those creepy little creatures and to be honest, neither do I, but why shouldn't you try to get to know them a little bit better? Indeed, there's no reason why not, except for when you are terrified to even watch them on a TV-screen of course. And when you watch this documentary, I can assure you that it will surprise you, because this is the first time anybody has ever watched and portrayed these little animals in such a magnificent way. You are really able to penetrate their world and to see that meadow, pond or garden in which they live as one giant universe, their world.

I'm not saying that I started to love insects after seeing this movie, but I certainly learned to see them in a different perspective. I guess that they'll never be my favorites, but that doesn't mean of course that this documentary isn't nice to watch. The fact that everything was shot in close-up, sometimes even with time-laps camera's, just to show every little detail, makes this a very interesting view on their little world that we know so little of. I give this movie a 7/10.

Please release on DVD in USA

Author: matthew_mortimer from Dallas, TX USA
23 June 2003

I saw this movie on cable in 1999 and was blown away. I recently bumped into the movie title again in Roger Ebert's review of "Winged Migration" and was reminded of this movie. It is quite an experience. This movie takes you up and personal with the insect world and shows you what it is like to be an inch tall. I particularly enjoy the scene with the dung beetle doing his work - trying maneuver some dung up a hill.

I would love it if this movie were released on DVD in the USA.

Beautiful!

Author: rbverhoef (rbverhoef@hotmail.com) from The Hague, Netherlands
22 June 2003

'Microcosmos' is a beautiful documentary in which we see the life of insects. Very close and still very sharp the insects are on your screen. They mate, they eat, they fight each other, they work as a team, it looks beautiful.

If you like nature and have interest for these kind of things this is a perfect movie to watch. The photography is great. You learn how certain things work and you are amazed by some of the ways these insects handle things. Especially the ants look pretty smart. I liked it very much. Pay attention to the beautiful music as well.

Breathtaking!

Author: MiguelM from Los Angeles
6 June 2000

This is a truly astounding movie. Aside from the exquisite photography, it worked as a parody of movies. It had action scenes, drama, a terrifying monster-movie sequence, slapstick, romance, and ballet. (You can see quotes from this movie in A Bug's Life.)

But mostly it was cast of insects, spiders, and other tiny creatures, taking us into a world that's often very different from our own. (Have you ever thought about how an ant takes a drink of water?) The bugs, some beautiful, some comical, and some scary, have a natural charisma that's unmatched by human actors.

Don't miss any opportunity to see this on a big screen with an excellent sound system. (I travelled 60 miles to see it that way and was glad I did.)

Beautiful documentary

Author: Eviljomr (eviljomer@hotmail.com) from Texas
18 December 1999

I think this film really stands out from your usual nature documentary. Some people complain about the lack of narration, but I really like that the film is (mostly) unnarrated. I like that we're just presented with the images, to me, an explanation of what's going on would take away from the awe I had watching this film. The cinematography is nothing short of amazing, I wonder what kind of lenses they used. The insects in the film almost look like aliens or monsters at this level of magnification, far from the cute characters in Disney/Pixar's A Bug's Life. Some of the scenes in this film are no doubt going to be burned into my mind, like the oddly beautiful snail lovemaking scene and the Godzilla-like peasant attack on an anthill.

If you liked this film, there's another French nature documentary worth checking out, Luc Besson's aquatic documentary Atlantis, with music by Eric Serra (as always) and no narration. Unfortunately, this film is rather rare in the US, and I've yet to find a copy, but I'm looking.

Beautiful movie!

Author: Raul Fuentes (ianfontaine@yahoo.com) from Guadalajara, Mexico
26 February 1999

This is another example how documentaries can be an extraordinary experience to watch. I mean, see Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqatsi and then see this and you will find that movies don't need actors or an original plot to be an enjoyable thing.

This one is quite a favorite. Don't miss it

Creepily Mesmerizing

Author: Fifi from Chicago, Illinois
8 December 1998

Quite possibly the most fascinating documentary ever to make my skin crawl. The lense is so close that half the time you don't even know what you're looking at, but it is impossible to draw your eyes away. Highly recommended.

Beyond anything we could imagine...

Author: dav4is from New York
10 April 2006

"Beyond anything we could imagine, yet almost beneath our notice." An exquisite film, painfully beautiful. It's relatively easy to find beauty in the majestic Grand Tetons, Monument Valley, or the brooding giants of a Big Tree forest. This film finds incredible beauty unnoticed at our feet.

Ants drinking raindrops, or clustered around a tiny puddle -- then sharing back at the nest.

Caterpillars marching in close formation.

Ladybugs as the voracious predators they are. Ants protecting their aphids from the ladybug. Ants drinking the nectar exuded by the aphids they farm.

Two snails locked in loving embrace.

Alien-looking mantids suddenly taking notice of the camera.

Beetles in extended combat. We are not shown why.

A mosquito emerging from pupa. A butterfly also. A caterpillar hatching from an egg -- then eating the shell.

Winged ants crowding out of the nest for their nuptial flight.

Caterpillars in weird diversity, one with two horns on its posterior that extrude and retract bright red filaments. What /are/ they?

The film is almost entirely visual. There are only a few seconds of voice-over at beginning and end, and the soundtrack is very low-key, for the most part, of the natural sounds of the action. Occasional light touches of music or choral voices nicely complement the photography.

I was struck by the cleanliness! Bugs cleaning, cleaning, cleaning! Even an earthworm emerging from burrow glistens in pristine translucent beauty. After viewing this film, how could anyone say that bugs are dirty?

Visually stimulating!

Author: emailtasha from Australia
8 July 2005

So many movies we view are about money, drugs, cars, corruption, violence, etc. This movie provides major relief from these common themes, as well as a great visual education of what we cannot see without a serious microscope!!! It is certainly a movie worth viewing, especially if you are partial to wildlife doco style films. This movie definitely rates along with other great visual/educational movies such as deep blue.

There is little narration, but the sound effects of the bugs themselves within their environment, accompanied by the soundtrack works well. It is a somewhat relaxing movie, but portrays so many creatures and settings that are quite awesome. The cinematography, intense colours, great lighting, and the actual animals activities are simply fascinating.

If you really need a story line, or girls/boys and fast cars to be entertained, then this is not the movie for you :) there are however, scenes of bugs being somewhat raunchy..

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]