IMDb > Microcosmos (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Microcosmos: Le peuple de l'herbe

Microcosmos More at IMDbPro »Microcosmos: Le peuple de l'herbe (original title)

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

...When two brown snails making love looks like one of the most amazing things you've ever seen

Author: bsinc from Ljubljana, Slovenia
10 June 2007

That's how good this documentary is! I simply mentioned the snail couple because that particular scene made such a strong impact on me. I never saw more affection and love in the animal world...the two brown snails were, honest to God, kissing. Actually, they were all over each other:)

I find it a little disturbing that some previous posters don't qualify "Microcosmos" as a documentary. I think that it didn't need to narrate and explain what it was about, but it indeed documented something, a part of the beautiful nature that surrounds us. The fact that so little human "presence" is required makes it even more enjoyable and somehow, pure. It is truly mesmerizing and captivating, like watching a beautiful moving painting that relaxes the body and soul. How better to honor nature?

It's just bugs coming and going

Author: imdb-5596 from United Kingdom
19 March 2008

I'm all for innovation and creativity. Quite happy with weird films. But this is just a film of bugs coming and going, going about their normal daily business. Yes, of course they're nicely photographed, and the flowers they visit have lovely bright colours. But it's not really a film, is it?

I tried with Microcosmos. At first, I though I was waiting for the dialogue to kick in. But no. And then, I thought the beetle activity would form into a plot - maybe it does, but I simply couldn't get it. I think it was this belief - that it would somehow form itself into a story - that kept me from walking out. But when it finally ended I was none the wiser, and wished I hadn't bothered.

Stunning to behold.

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
21 July 2016

"Microcosmos" is a very fine nature documentary, which shows us the daily lives of insects and other minute life forms residing in meadows and ponds. The directors only occasionally use narration (by Jacques Perrin in the original French version, and by English actress Kristin Scott Thomas in the North American version), instead wisely deciding to let their amazing images speak for themselves.

This is simply excellent filmmaking, using macrophotography to allow human eyes to get a real eyeful of a whole other world that they don't see every day. Gorgeous, colorful, and genuinely interesting, this doesn't necessarily give us "stories" to follow, or focus on any particular critter for any extended period of time. But it's fascinating to watch as various insects sometimes fall victim to predators like spiders and birds, an army of ants hurriedly stock up on supplies, a caterpillar makes the transformation into butterfly, a mosquito is born, and - most excitingly - a pair of stag beetles have a fight.

The filmmakers' use of music is appropriate, the fairly brief running time (76 minutes) is quite succinct, and "Microcosmos" serves as vivid proof that the actual best special effects are those to be found in Mother Nature.

Highly recommended to lovers of nature documentaries.

Eight out of 10.

You may come to love nature.

Author: The_Film_Cricket from Birmingham, Alabama
16 July 2014

The word 'insect' in the minds of most people brings about images of destructive, disease-carrying 'bugs', flies, maggots, cockroaches. But if Microcomos does anything, it reminds me that there are hundreds of thousands of constructive insects that are simply beautiful.

The directors of this film spent a number of years using microscopic cameras to capture breathtaking images of hundreds of insects in their natural habitat (in this case, a meadow in France). They select just the right music for a scene in which a pheasant who attacks and ant colony. Two snails seem locked in some time of embrace, a ladybug tries to take off but has a little trouble getting off the ground.

'Microcosmos' fits the category of a documentary. But depending on how you take the behavior of these amazing creatures its a love story (two snails who seem deeply in love), a war movie (two beetles lock in moral struggle), a child-birth film (several insects giving birth), a disaster movie (a rainstorm in which the drops seem like a meteor storm) and a monster movie (a pheasant that attacks an ant colony). I sometimes felt like and interloper peering down into their lives in their most intimate moments.

I saw a movie a few years back called 'The Scent of Green Papaya' which contained a scene of a curious little girl squatted down on the ground smiling as she watched a colony of ants at work. I wondered about that and when I saw 'Microcosmos' I felt that I had a ringside seat at what had captivated her.

Absolutely awesome

Author: iseeall from Russian Federation
6 May 2014

This movie is beautiful and really pleasing to watch. The title of it says exactly what it is: "microscopic world". It's like a different universe which you may never have noticed right under your feet. Vibrant colors and astonishing beauty where you may never have expected it.

Though it's not really a movie, more like just a video, I'd still call it one of the best movies I ever saw. If the world would be ending and I'd have to escape Earth in a spaceship and could only take a handful of videos with me, this one would be on the list.

If you haven't watched it, do yourself a favor and watch it.

Revealing the marvelous miniature world of insects, and a couple of randy snails.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
24 June 2011

I saw the English version, as a streaming Netflix video in Hi-Def. It is narrated by Kristin Scott Thomas, but really there are only a few sentences at the beginning, and even less at the end. The vast middle of the movie has no narration, only appropriate music as we are left to observe the miniature world. The picture is superb, as it has to be.

There is no plot to the "story", and it doesn't attempt to encompass all of the miniature world of insects. It simply gives us, the viewers, a series of brief glimpses into their everyday world.

We see ants busily moving a variety of grain into their tunnels. In a different clip we see a colorful bird, perhaps a Pheasant, busily pecking and eating ants who have no clue as to "protection".

We see a spider and its web, and how it uses the web to wrap up a small grasshopper that happens to jump into captivity.

We see a mighty struggle, a battle, between two large beetles. And in another clip, a Dung Beetle working mightily to successfully roll its ball of dung to its burrow.

Plus many, many more small critters.

The image saved for last is an impressive one, we see what looks like a giant sea monster rising slowly out of the water, and when it is over we realize it is a mosquito emerging from its larval state and then flying away.

A wonderful viewing experience for anyone who is at all fascinated by the miniature world around us.

Fascinating documentary about insects.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
11 March 2011

Filmmakers Claude Nuridsany and Marie Perennou use unique microscopic cameras and powerfully specialized microphones to look into the lifestyles of insects and minute creatures in an ordinary French meadow and pond. Up close and personal using slow motion and time-lapse photography; footage of ladybugs mating, snails doing their slimy coupling, spiders waiting and pouncing on prey, caterpillars on the march, bees pollinating...and a moderate rain hardly interrupts the micro flora and fauna, but the tiny creatures deal with danger. This documentary won five Cesar Awards at the 1996 French Academy of Cinema Awards; one for Best Cinematography and another for Best Music scored by composer Bruno Coulais. MICROCOSMOS is narrated by Jacques Perrin and Kristin Scott Thomas.

Innovative and Highly Entertaining

Author: gcd70 from Melbourne, Australia
29 March 2009

This innovative, often highly entertaining film is spoiled only by its insistence on overstaying its welcome (by about fifteen minutes). Directors Nuridsany and Perinnou explore a world about which we know very little, and understand even less.

The amazing close-up photography reveals a veritable society that is as intricate as it is interdependent. The world of the insects is a fascinating, oft times amusing one peopled with hard working, organised ants, frantic bees, hungry birds and determined beetles, just to name a few. "Microcosmos" reveals this hidden mystery as a place where "a day is a lifetime".

Truly this movie is testimony to the unfathomable God who created this awe-inspiring world in which we live.

Monday, June 1, 1998 - Hoyts Croydon

anthropodelica

Author: jonathan-577 from Canada
8 December 2007

The second time I watched this I started wondering whether there was any difference between this and the 'cute' anthropomorphic Disney films I own on Super 8. Take away forty years of lens technology and you're left with "Sloth vs. Jaguar", right? Well not quite - for one thing it's erotic, thanks in part but not entirely to the enhanced capacity for intimacy that those lenses provide. For another, it's got a bit of a structure, and it aims for mystery. Also, it confines the stupid voice-over to the bookends, not that I wouldn't rather that they dispatched it entirely, which goes double for the sporadic John Villiamsisms of the soundtrack. While I eventually stopped suspecting CGI, I do not doubt that some of it was staged, including one of my favourite scenes, the dung beetle rolling the dirt ball. Still, there's a lot of beauty in here, and even some small portion of the 'mystery' is justified by the content. We'd been waiting to see some of these facts of life first-hand for a long, long time.

Beautiful, fresh, cutie, natural

Author: edgar-poe from Slovakia
12 January 2007

I am still not sure if it is counted as a documentary or film, but this does not matter. I always liked nature so this movie is near to my spirits. I wished to see it as 3D but I think that such a release has not come up yet. The movie does not need any comment or subtitles. Just watch it. Keep on and you will learn who you are and where you live. The documentary is about everything, although it focused mainly on insects. You can imagine what just an innocent step in microcosmos can cause. All these little cuties and monsters have their own world and microcosmos maps it with a mild sight. French are great at such documentaries and this can be seen as a kind of conclusion. Beautiful shots, I can imagine setting the camera for hours, waiting for proceeding of an ant and then show all that crusade during several seconds. Maybe it seems that this kind of movie does not need any screenplay, but I do not agree with it. When you watch it, you find out it made some sense. Insects also behave according to schedules and needs. Actually, there is no point in describing the movie here, you must see it and you will want more to see. Beautiful beauty.

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]