IMDb > The Lovemaster (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Lovemaster More at IMDbPro »

entertaining, honest, and hilarious!

Author: mikepro from Los Angeles, CA
15 October 2004

If you are a fan of stand-up comedy, you have to see this movie. Craig Shoemaker's material comes to life in the perfect mix of acting and stand-up comedy. Before seeing this, I thought Shoemaker's stand-up was hilarious, but couldn't possibly be true. It's definitely true. This movie is basically a genuine look at how Craig Shoemaker became the comedian he is today. He is a master of humorous storytelling and his impersonations are almost too accurate. This film is the perfect example of how Shoemaker's humor really has no limits. While most comedians seem to stick to the cliché topics, Craig Shoemaker is able to always adapt and create new material. I really enjoyed this movie and would recommend it to any fans of comedy.

Awesome movie!

Author: jenniferjoellis from North Hollywood, CA
12 July 2004

If you're a fan of Craig Shoemaker's stand-up comedy, you will love this movie. Not only does it show a lot of Craig's stand-up comedy in clubs, it shows how the material came to be written. In a stream of consciousness way, it bounces from Craig in a psychiatrist's office, to doing stand-up, to Craig in "real life" where he experienced what later became the joke. It shows Craig as a little boy trying to get attention from his pot-smoking grandmother and his belly-dancing mother. You see how Craig comes up with his famous character and alter-ego "The Lovemaster". I laughed so hard I almost fell on the floor! There are also appearances by Farrah Fawcett, Courtney Thorne-Smith, George Wendt and Harley Jane Kozak. I'm so glad that I bought this movie because I can't wait to watch it with my friends who also love Craig Shoemaker.