IMDb > The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Long Kiss Goodnight

The Long Kiss Goodnight More at IMDbPro »

Page 19 of 28: [Prev][14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [Next]

THIS MOVIE ROCKS!!!

Author: DEZ-7 from Cheltenham, England
10 March 1999

The "Long kiss" offers us on a plate great action and comedy intermixed with a very dodgy storyline that at most times doesn't hold up. None the less it's not a movie to be thrown aside as another mindless Hollywood actioner, it's above that (just!). Davis for once returns to form after some lacklustre performances in the past. But it is without a doubt she is overshadowed by the sheer quality of one Mr L.Jackson, who at the moment can't do a thing wrong, but still his role almost feels like a rewrite from 'Die hard with a vengeance'. Still it's a great movie to watch to either see Davis in full on "Bond" mode, Jackson in a typical role or just to kill some time before watching something more thrilling like a proper Bond movie. With a certainty I would say this movie rocks!!!

Not bad action film, but with many short-falls

Author: Ric-aber from Wales, UK
2 March 1999

An action film of average quality. A dodgy plot though let down what was otherwise a good picture. S. L. Jackson played a very good part as per usual, and kept the movie rolling along at a good pace.

All in all, not bad - worth seeing if given the chance.

The greatest action-adventure film of all time

Author: mn-nativ from Morris, MN
4 February 1999

I had thought that Renny Harlin had peaked when he directed "Cutthroat Island," one of the best movies of all time. I was wrong. "The Long Kiss Goodnight" exceeded even that in greatness.

As in "Cutthroat Island," Geena Davis returns as the archetypal super-woman. Only this time, the catch is that she doesn't realize it. With comic relief provided by the one, the only, Samuel L. Jackson, the two characters provide a one-two punch of movie-going madness that will rivet you in your seat until the credits roll.

The greatness of the film lies in the uniquely Harlinesque balance between believability and impossibility. What is NOT important is that he crosses this line, and in fact the viewer wants exactly that. An example of this is when Davis shoots through the frozen lake with a machine-gun while falling from a great hight. Now, as somebody who has gone ice-fishing on more than one occassion, I can tell you with great confidence that shooting through a lake is not going to break your fall. But that doesn't matter! Geena Davis can do it, and that's all that matters. If you can allow yourself to enjoy this aspect of the movie, you will be captivated by the film and watch it many times over the years.

If you liked this movie, try "Cutthroat Island" and "Tremors."

Action, effects and laughs - an ideal combination.

Author: Mark Seaman from Yorkshire
28 January 1999

The Last Kiss Goodnight is an entertaining and enthralling action thriller, with an amusing plot featuring the surprisingly excellent Geena Davis as a teacher, housewife and mother who discovers that before suffering amnesia, she had been a professional assassin. This premise for the movie provides all the biggest laughs, particularly when Davis warns one of her unfortunate students, whilst carrying a huge automatic weapon, "tell anyone you've seen me and I'll blow your f…..g head off". The second main character is played by Samuel L. Jackson, who as always exudes sheer class. It's a fun movie, catch it if you can.

The Way Too Long Kiss Goodnight

Author: anonymous from Beverly Hills, CA
23 January 1999

This film is just plain stupid. It begins with a cozily over-decorated scene that makes one think of Disney, then segues a short while later into scenes that are so low-brow it makes one cringe. There are huge creditability problems with both characters and plot, and the dialogue is insane. It's no surprise it bombed at the box office.

best action film

Author: frank lowrie jr from atlanta, georgia
17 January 1999

this has got to be the best action film to date.while most don't have much plot to go on,the long kiss has a rock solid plot that gets more interesting as you go along. samuel l. jackson is perfect as the private snoop that helps geena davis fit the pieces to the puzzle. this is a must see for action nuts like myself.

THE BEST ACTIONFLICK EVER!

Author: NBK-2 from Tønsberg, Norway
2 January 1999

Great,great,great! I loved this film! Wow! I usually don't give movies 10 out of 10, but this is worth it! So worth it! Samuel L. Jackson in his best role since Pulp Fiction and Geena Davis is a brilliant action heroine! Once again: Great,great,great!

Smart action film

Author: Leon-24 from Chicago
30 December 1998

I had seen it before, and liked it. Just saw it again, and I liked it some more. If I recall correctly, this film didn't do too well in theaters, but I'm not sure why. It's got some great action and Samuel L. Jackson. What more could you ask for? Ok, well, the story is just okay - the whole government trained assassin is kind of common, but I thought the amnesia angle was fairly clever. Some parts of the story were hokey, and the villains weren't much to talk about. But, still, very entertaining film. And I wouldn't mind giving Geena Davis a long kiss goodnight.

Enough to keep anyone up.

Author: Dawn from New Hampshire, USA
29 December 1998

What a movie to stumble on to when you can't sleep. The first time I saw this movie I came in when Sam/Charly was on the wheel. I watched it to the end and it left me wondering what had happened in the beginning. A few months passed and I saw it in the middle again. I finally rented the movie and saw the whole thing. I loved this movie so much I bought it. I think Craig Bierko is awesome as the bad guy. Geena Davis is what every woman wants to be and Samual Jackson is a nut job who keeps you laughing all the way to the end. Great job!!!!!

Funny Flick

Author: Data-21 from New York
27 December 1998

When I saw this film upon release, I thought it was dull, slow and made little sense. Plus the action wasn't very convincing. However, when viewed on my VCR, this flick just moved. I found myself watching with a big smile the whole way through. Sam Jackson was hilarious, Geena Davis was strong and the action was spectacular. Shane Black's script just kept spitting out one-liners. Renny Harlin, at least for me, seems to have the ability to make films that have more than meets the eye. With Die Hard 2, Cliffhanger and Cutthroat Island, I thought they were boring and pathetic. But after a while, I gave them all a second chance, and they just got better. This is definitely a fun film, and deserves repeated viewings. Shane Black is just the master at action with great dialogue. Funny stuff.